Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2014 10:49:42 PM EDT
I'm finding a lot of fun, very inexpensive games to dick around with now I finally got my new computer.

Ultimate General: Gettysburg -  Absofuckinglutely AWESOME RTS for under 10 dollars.  Graphically it's ok, very similar to Sid Meiers Gettysburg but much more polished.  The game is entirely the battle of Gettysburg but the AI is superb.  You will fight multiple "days" of battle.  Depending on how the last battle went and what objectives you hold you will get options to pick your overall strategy for the next day.  It's a WIP and the devs have said that they might add more battles later on but are still refining what's currently on the table.

Mount and Blade series - If I have a computer, I have a M&B campaign going.  Awesome game.  Start as one man roaming the wilderness.  Find odd jobs, find people to hire, raise an army, raise hell.  Best combat mechanics for a hand to hand combat game out there.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare -  Counter Strike but with bows and swords.. similar combat to mount and blade but no story, just multiplayer chaos.

Robocraft - design robots and fight them against other players creations.  Can get a bit grindy from time to time but it's easy to jump in for a few rounds here and there.

Planet Explorers:  Very similar to Rust.  It's a wilderness survival game.  The only reason I got it?  Custom gun creation.. You can also create custom swords, shields, helicopters, and vehicles.

Gun creator video
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been playing the shit out of Red Orchestra 2/ Rising Storm here lately.

But, usually between that and Arma 2/3, not much else.

I bought a few other games on the steam sale, but haven't played them all that much. I do have Chivalry as well and M&B
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:04:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Fallout new vegas - if you gotta ask you wont ever get it

Borderlands 2 - guns - comedy

Rust <----whenever they fix it - an actual survival build game without armas crappy physics and glitches

Battlefield 4 - ultimate run and gun but gets boring if you aren't playing with a group of friends.

Teamfortess 2 - mayhem and fun
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Arma 3
-Breaking Point Mod - I run with two friends, shenanigans ensue
-Wasteland Mod - Open world with persistent missions, the randomness of engagements keeps it fresh.  I wish game mechanics weren't so clunky

Spec Ops: The Line
-campaign, bought on steam sale $5 - enjoying the story

Tomb Raider
-campaign, bought on steam sale $5 - also enjoying the story and overall gameplay

Bought on Steam Sale and want to start getting into
-Heroes & Generals
-Mount &  Blade
-Space Engineers
-Sleeping Dogs

ETA: Reasons
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Hearthstone - A game doesn't take long to play. Allows me to play many games.

CS:GO - I haven't played CS in a very long time. It's fun.

Other than those I'm waiting for the big D3 patch to launch so I can play hardcore seasons. I'm also playing through all of my games in alphabetical order. Still in the B's. 260 more to go.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Battlefield 4.  

World of Tanks.  

And currently waiting for the next expansion in WoW.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Since starting the Star Wars Galaxies Emu 4 weeks or so ago I haven't touched any other games. They got me hooked.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Arma 3:  A3Wasteland Mission.  Great mission, persistent gear (no having to re-gear unless you die), high player count/lots of targets.  I have a group of 8 or 10 guys I regularly play with (still wanna hook up with DangerDan87 and Pariah) and we wreck Kavala pretty much nightly.  Great game and mission

Arma 3: Breaking Point Mod.  Just got back into this this week.  Absolutely heart pounding excitement, followed by an hour of running 20km.  :-)  Same group of guys to play with.  Good times.

Payday 2:  for a COOP break from Arma 3.

WoW:  for an MMO break from Arma 3
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Rome: Total War: Specifically the Roma Surrectum 2 Mod. The Rome discussion in GD led me back home, I can always start up a campaign as Rome and fight off the Macedonians, Carthaginians, Greeks, Galleci, Arverni, etc at the same time and really keep my hands full. This mod really was what Rome 2 TW should have aspired to be, not the buggy and flawed DLC bullshit it ended up being.

Skyrim: It's Skyrim, never stops being fun. Throw in some mods, start a new character with the quick start mod, and play things differently. When bored, screw around with console commands and spawn monsters in town.

Lego XXX: Any of the Lego games are always a good break. Lots of unlockables, easy to relax and enjoy. No rage quits and breaking $80 headphones like my weak attempt at a Halo: Reach Legendary playthrough was.

EVE: At any point, I can drop $15 for a month and hop back on EVE, buy some cheap ships, and pew pew. If I get bored trying to grind ISK I can just let the account expire again and go back to above games.

WoT: Because tanks. Frustratingly fun sometimes, but entertaining nonetheless.

Games that occasionally get booted back up on a whim:

Silent Hunter III: Random discussion about U-Boats, plus my wife getting me a U-Boat captain's hat and a Boot beer glass for Father's Day caused this one to get reloaded and the GWX mod installed.

Company of Heroes: Blitzkrieg Mod, Tiger tanks, 'nuff said

Supreme Commander & Forged Alliance: No intro needed, still a monster of a RTS, modded cheating AI's are good enough to still rape me when using a trainer for lulz if I am not careful.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Right now it's Batman: Arkham Origins, because I like Batman.

WOW because I play it with my gf.

I'll head back to some Assassin's Creed because I love the series and I never quite finished the last couple.

Rocksmith, because I'm trying to learn to play better and it matches my learning style.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Kerbal Space Program is my "play it damn near every day" game.

Others rotate in and out. GTA series, fallout series, crysis 1+2. Recently added the goat simulator
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Minecraft.
Grand theft auto online
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:48:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Making my way through my steam back catalog, so right now I'm playing Arkham Origins, Far Cry Blood Dragon and I installed Payday 2 but the first time I played it everything went bad instantly and it was completely the opposite of a fun game. I'm debating just uninstalling it and moving on.

Edit: I also finished Wolf Among Us a few weeks ago and just finished episode 4 of Walking Dead season 2. Wolf is a good game but it's replayability is virtually nil once you've explored the scant few branching paths in each episode. The same goes for Walking Dead... once you've played it once or twice there is no reason to ever play it again. Both are excellent games though and have great storytelling moments. Wolf has a wonderful 80s vibe to it and Walking Dead is better than the namesake show, mostly because it is more faithful to the comics... the cast deaths are common and agonizing and the story choices a lot of times come down to damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios.

I also continue to play Forza Horizon on my Xbox. 2 is coming out in a few months so I will move on to it then. I barely play anything on Xbox anymore, every game that comes out that I want to play comes out with a PC version.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Pretty much in this order:

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Heroes and Generals

War Thunder

World of Tanks Blitz on my phone (although I'm feeling like ragequitting the past two days )

I also have the SWG Emu and World of Tanks reloaded on my PC to mess around with a bit here and there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#15]
battlefield 4, swtor, elder scrolls online, battlefield 2, gta 3, hearthstone, diablo 3

mobile gaming: clash of clans

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Finally finished Splinter Cell Blacklist.

Currently I'm playing some more Witcher 2 to get my saves in order for the next game the way I want them to be.  It's still 6+ months away since it was delayed to February 2015, but with how crazy this fall will be and the number of games coming out in the Oct-Dec. timeframe, I'm afraid I won't have the time to spend on the game later so I want to get it out of the way now.  I'm trying to generally reduce my backlog of old titles I bought for pennies on the dollar on steam.  

Going to start Dragon Age Origins soon, which I haven't had a chance to really get into before now.

Still farting around in Skyrim here and there, too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#17]
About once a year, I replay through the Call of Duty Modern Warfare single player campaigns, and the Homefront campaign.   Also like to replay Crysis 1 & Crysis Warhead.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been so busy with school and work lately that I haven't really had a chance to play games too much. I hopped on Planetside 2 for the first time in a while the other night and had a lot of fun, I'd play MechWarrior Online but most of my online friends are playing Robocraft which I don't really want to get into.

I have Destiny preordered for the wife and I, looks cool but I haven't played on a console in like three years so it will be weird. Also have the new Pokemons ordered for my daughter and I to play.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#19]
FarCry 3

The Last of Us

Unturned (neat indy zombie survival game)

Brutal Doom

Minecraft

Dayz SA

Recently reinstalled Arma 2 and 3 but deleted it again after replaying for two hours and remembering why I uninstalled it...glitchy crap.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Payday 2. Stealth robbery is best robbery.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I just had a look at Mechwarrior Online again after a break from that game for about a year. Clan mechs are here but the only way to get them is to hand over a fuckton of real cash to get them. Not doing that. Not going to provide cheap kills to players who bought better stuff with cash either. Fuck MWO.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I just gave Civ5 another go.  I bought all the expansion packs a while back but never bothered to try them.  I'm fucking hooked.  In two days I've logged 8 hours on one large scale map game.  I just won a time victory last night by 2 points.  Now I'm going to go fuck the greeks up before I start all over again.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been so busy with school and work lately that I haven't really had a chance to play games too much. I hopped on Planetside 2 for the first time in a while the other night and had a lot of fun, I'd play MechWarrior Online but most of my online friends are playing Robocraft which I don't really want to get into.

I have Destiny preordered for the wife and I, looks cool but I haven't played on a console in like three years so it will be weird. Also have the new Pokemons ordered for my daughter and I to play.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I just reinstalled planetside 2 the other day as well.  Seems to still be fairly active but I was reading up on it that numbers were low.

Quoted:
About once a year, I replay through the Call of Duty Modern Warfare single player campaigns, and the Homefront campaign.   Also like to replay Crysis 1 & Crysis Warhead.

I'm the odd man out that actually loved the homefront multiplayer.  I could got 30-0 some rounds in that game.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Fighters Anthology - Old School!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm warming up to Terraria at the moment, it's like Minecraft but deeper and more interesting. Nearly hundreds of different monsters and bosses, awesome tools and effects, and a pretty cool soundtrack.

Plus, GUNS!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#25]
War Thunder. If I need a break from that, it's Payday 2, DayZ SA, or Skyrim.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Just Forza 5. I've been too busy with work lately that when I do have time off I need something I can sit down for a bit, bust out some races and not have to worry about remembering where I left off in a story.

I wish X1 had World of Tanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Europa Universalis 4.

It's like crack.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Jagged Alliance 2, Master of Orion, and X-Com Apocalypse have been my main 3 as of late. I also jump on Arcanum and Diablo 3 every once in a while.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:40:42 AM EDT
[#29]
right now I'm trying out firefall just to see if its any good

otherwise its playing bf3 or 4 with my clans to waste time or I'm working through skyrim still
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:06:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Catherine - fun addicting puzzle game

Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas - great games, lots to do in them. Almost impossible to get all trophies without spending weeks playing them.

Uncharted - great series

Grand Theft Auto - great series

Red Faction - the original is fun, as is Red Faction: Guerrilla

BLACK - hard (in black ops difficulty) and lots of fun.  I really wish there was a sequel
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I started BF4 again since they released some new maps. They went and did something dumb and added the desert eagle pistol with this one. I think BF4 is not going to last much longer if the devs are just saying fuck it and ignoring all the dumb shit they used to do to keep one weapon from overpowering all the others.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Since starting the Star Wars Galaxies Emu 4 weeks or so ago I haven't touched any other games. They got me hooked.
View Quote

I fired SWGEMU up again recently.  I started working on pistols and some scouting so I can either be a Ranger or BH.  It took a bit of grinding to get my speeder but now I am running more missions.  Only complaint is that combat seems even laggier than original SWG, and many moves don't seem to work.  (Threaten shot)

I keep coming back to Minecraft.  That's my typical hacking around game.  I'm on the ARFCOM server and have a sustainable base, but haven't done any of the massive builds I did on my old server- multiple week builds.  I am feeling the itch again, though.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#33]

SWTOR

Company of Heroes 2

Rome II

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Chivalry

IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad

IL-2: 1946

Team Fortress 2

Shogun Total War 2
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Dear OP,

I hate you.  I hate your stupid face.  I hate your favorite cereal.  Your favorite team sucks, and your dog is a homosexual.

Before I nonchalantly read this thread, I had a normal life.  I went to bed at a reasonable hour.  I found time for things such as casting, reloading, and using the restroom.  However that all changed a little over a week ago when I saw you recommend Mount and Blade amid a host of other really fantastic games in this thread.  I'd seen it on a Steam sale a few days before, so I thought why not, I'll check it out.  I put it on my wishlist.

Two days later I realized the demo was available.  Since that time, I have gone to bed after 2 AM every single night.  I've been on vacation, intending to use my free time to spend quality hours with my offset smoker and massively restock my almost completely depleted ammo cache.  Have I done anything besides raise armies, conquer cities, and chase down my enemies?  No.  A game hasn't done this to me for ten years.  You have absolutely ruined my life.

And I am deeply grateful.  Seriously, this is crack and I'm the mayor of Toronto.  I owe you, o lovely blue towel.  Now excuse me; I probably won't even open a browser again for another two weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top