Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#1]
There isnt' many games that allow beta advancement to be carried over to the final game.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#2]
When has a beta ever carried over to live?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Never played a beta on XBox before.

No big deal, just curious.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well overall I was pretty happy with it. Hope the "explore" gamplay is better int he final version though.
View Quote

Hell, I spent probably a good few hours putzing around on my sparrow and just exploring the world.  Bungie really nailed the bikes down in terms of movement and the like, making them fun as hell to drive.  Just for laughs I hope they either put in a map editor ala Halo or some kind of Rocket Race themed level.  That was my favorite game mode lol.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm.....   I doubt they make a map editor a.la HALO.

Destiny is supposed to be a persistent world.  With significant events.  History.  A story.  A 'real' place where folks can live their own adventure.  Build reputations.  Etc.

Having user created maps would lessen the 'realness' of the digital world they have created.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hmmm.....   I doubt they make a map editor a.la HALO.

Destiny is supposed to be a persistent world.  With significant events.  History.  A story.  A 'real' place where folks can live their own adventure.  Build reputations.  Etc.

Having user created maps would lessen the 'realness' of the digital world they have created.
View Quote

I hadn't considered that.  Guess I'll have to make due on the 6-7 different crucible modes they listed.  It is really killing me about the whole race/class thing I noticed in the app though.  (see my earlier post) but I guess we'll find out in Sept.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#7]
RoG, everything reset the moment the servers went down. You can check your profile on the website, wiped.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
RoG, everything reset the moment the servers went down. You can check your profile on the website, wiped.
View Quote

No worries, just curious. I assumed we'd have to start over.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I learned how to reset the mem cache on my XB1 and got it running.  Amazing.  Multiplayer felt fraught with cheap deaths but I enjoyed the strike and story missions a ton.  Probably just keep at Titanfall for my MP fix.  

Warlock players - did you ever find your super hard to aim?  I missed seemingly easy targets a few times and was frustrated.  I like the Hunter's golden gun much more.  I also like the hunter's dbl jump over the warlock's glide.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I learned how to reset the mem cache on my XB1 and got it running.  Amazing.  Multiplayer felt fraught with cheap deaths but I enjoyed the strike and story missions a ton.  Probably just keep at Titanfall for my MP fix.  

Warlock players - did you ever find your super hard to aim?  I missed seemingly easy targets a few times and was frustrated.  I like the Hunter's golden gun much more.  I also like the hunter's dbl jump over the warlock's glide.
View Quote

I was using the upgraded bolt and it worked pretty well for me.  Just have to remember to lob the shots if you aren't above people fucking them up.  Glide took some practice but was pretty kick ass once it was worked out for me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:13:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I know it is a little behind the times here, but I just checked and the codes here are still good.  Supposed to unlock content in the final version of the game.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/destiny/Trading_Card_Redemption_Codes

On a different note, I'm currently looking at my guy and his gear on the bungie site... Curious.

Edit:  The missus logged into both the app as well as website and it appears that the character servers are still online and running with stored data.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, I see that all of our character information is back up on their website.  I still doubt they would let beta testers keep their progression, we already have an advantage in knowing where to go and how to finish most of the first campaign.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, so - I played the beta - and was thoroughly underwhelmed.

I feel like they took parts of Halo, Mass Effect, and (whatever MMO you desire - TOR or WOW) and didn't really excel at making anything new, fresh, or cool out of any of them. The combat felt repetitive and uninspired, the enemy AI seemed vanilla.

the level cap for the full title is 20 - so you got nearly halfway there with the beta, and there's only going to be 4 or maybe 5 planets to explore, with one zone each, so you got to play nearly 25% of the campaign through the beta.

the multiplayer was clunky and imbalanced, and again, didn't seem to offer anything we haven't all played for the last 10 years...

I just can't justify spending $60 for this. I'm still waiting for the first next-gen title to come along and show us something new.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of my stuff is still there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I feel like they took parts of Halo, Mass Effect, and (whatever MMO you desire - TOR or WOW) and didn't really excel at making anything new, fresh, or cool out of any of them. The combat felt repetitive and uninspired, the enemy AI seemed vanilla.

the level cap for the full title is 20 - so you got nearly halfway there with the beta, and there's only going to be 4 or maybe 5 planets to explore, with one zone each, so you got to play nearly 25% of the campaign through the beta.

the multiplayer was clunky and imbalanced, and again, didn't seem to offer anything we haven't all played for the last 10 years...

I just can't justify spending $60 for this. I'm still waiting for the first next-gen title to come along and show us something new.
View Quote

I had fun, but for the most part I agree with this.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#16]
By the way guys, I tossed up a thread with a link to the Arf Destiny clan for both PSN and Xbox.  Supposedly going to have lots of bonuses on both sides.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
By the way guys, I tossed up a thread with a link to the Arf Destiny clan for both PSN and Xbox.  Supposedly going to have lots of bonuses on both sides.
View Quote

So ah...what does being in a clan entail.

Also, are you guys going to make fun of me for being a girl

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Generally, not much.  Gives us a pool of folks to try to schedule raid events with, as Bungie is going to be implementing larger boss levels for a few cases.  As well as helping build a communal score for arf.  The higher the score, the higher the bonuses, whatever they end up being.  Neat thing is that Bungie supports PSN and XBL on the same clan, so everyone can get the benefits.

As far as I know, we already have two gals in the clan so you'll be fine.  The missus (who is in the clan) will hit me if I say anything.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Generally, not much.  Gives us a pool of folks to try to schedule raid events with, as Bungie is going to be implementing larger boss levels for a few cases.  As well as helping build a communal score for arf.  The higher the score, the higher the bonuses, whatever they end up being.  Neat thing is that Bungie supports PSN and XBL on the same clan, so everyone can get the benefits.

As far as I know, we already have two gals in the clan so you'll be fine.  The missus (who is in the clan) will hit me if I say anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean my character is a girl. I got in the habit after playing bordlerlands 1 because Lilith is kickass

ETA- sending request, Hobbes
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I always play female toons. It's hilarious.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I mean my character is a girl. I got in the habit after playing bordlerlands 1 because Lilith is kickass

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Added

Quoted:
I always play female toons. It's hilarious.

People kept chasing the missus around and dancing at her
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:06:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I also requested access to the ARFCOM group.

Also - one can be a member of multiple groups, any one of which can be set as ones Clan.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:08:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

People kept chasing the missus around and dancing at her
View Quote

It's ridiculous!  and pathetic.

I played a female toon for a bit.  I occasionally would leave her sitting somewhere in the tower while I made dinner or some such.  When I would get back there would be at least one character sitting right next to mine.  Or dancing.  Or whatever.

Holy cow...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Game is not perfect, but strikes me as a better Borderlands 2.  Halo/BL2/Mass Effect mix.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fellas - remember this is a BETA.  If you've never played a Beta, they are generally exactly for such things as figuring out balance issues, playability issues, etc.  Alphas are for technical issues like map glitches and bugs.  Betas are for fine tuning the mechanics of the game.  I would have been surprised if there weren't balance issues during the beta.

If you're getting this for the PvP you're likely to be disappointed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Fellas - remember this is a BETA.  If you've never played a Beta, they are generally exactly for such things as figuring out balance issues, playability issues, etc.  Alphas are for technical issues like map glitches and bugs.  Betas are for fine tuning the mechanics of the game.  I would have been surprised if there weren't balance issues during the beta.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally I'm excited for the campaign and explore. PvP is fun, but I get burned out quickly on it. I enjoy a good story and that feeling of "epicness" I get from certain games (very few games) and I find that in the single player usually.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Yep.  Good stories are what I like most.  Good stories which allow one to play along with your friends (like Borderlands) are at the top of my list, personally.

I am a little nervous about the campaign.  I mean...  we hit level 8 in the beta after maybe an hour or two of playtime.  Either the progression is very logarithmic and those last levels will take serious time to reach, or the storyline is relatively short.

Either way I will play it and enjoy it - i'm excited about it.  But I will be disappointed if the story is only 6-8 hours long and we have to wait 8-16 months for the next installment.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yep.  Good stories are what I like most.  Good stories which allow one to play along with your friends (like Borderlands) are at the top of my list, personally.

I am a little nervous about the campaign.  I mean...  we hit level 8 in the beta after maybe an hour or two of playtime.  Either the progression is very logarithmic and those last levels will take serious time to reach, or the storyline is relatively short.

Either way I will play it and enjoy it - i'm excited about it.  But I will be disappointed if the story is only 6-8 hours long and we have to wait 8-16 months for the next installment.
View Quote

Yeah that would be a real bummer. I agree about BL, that's why I loved it so much. LONG story, with lots of cool (and some not so cool) side missions. I hope the final release of Destiny is like that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Interesting.

Sounds fun, but I don't have that many friends on Xbox (I guess the clan will change that) and it's also pretty tough for me to dedicate 2-3 hours straight of gaming...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yea.  I saw that and thought the same.  We were lucky to have three in borderlands - and even then it was intermittent and difficult due to timezones.

Hopefully the Clan system will help out and ARFCOM folks will be on.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Game is not perfect, but strikes me as a better Borderlands 2.  Halo/BL2/Mass Effect mix.
View Quote

you shut your whore mouth.

don't besmirch Borderlands with this crap.

take it back!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know it's a beta. I've played more betas than I can probably remember. I didn't gripe about how we had trouble with the party and game chat systems, how we had issues creating and joining parties with our buddies during the beta, because that's beta problems.

the things I disliked about this title aren't going to be things that are fixed moving from beta to production.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Personally I'm excited for the campaign and explore. PvP is fun, but I get burned out quickly on it. I enjoy a good story and that feeling of "epicness" I get from certain games (very few games) and I find that in the single player usually.
View Quote

i'm not a huge PvP fan. I prefer to play co-op with my buddies. We probably have well over 500 hours between borderlands 1, 2, and the DLCs there.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Bungie said that the end game raids will not have matchmaking.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#38]
You didn't get level 8 in 1-2 hours. It took me about 6 hours. But I digress.

I am excited for this game. I love the evironment and the maps. The AI does need to be improved. sometimes I was able to snipe enemies from a long ways off without them reacting. The respawns on the map were too frequent, you can't really "clear out" an area because stuff comes back. The world events were interesting but there wasn't enough people around to do them half the time. It seems somewhat random who gets actual good items in the game and who doesn't. I had a bunch of cool gear that I couldn't use because it was level 9.  Played a Warlock, that was fun.  Played a titan and that was also fun, but boring.

One of the most fun things I did was go into Old Russia and explore a bunch of the areas that didn't have missions.  Guys, if you think you saw all of Old Russia, you are dead wrong. You saw MAYBE half of Old Russia, at most. There are tons of other areas and underground portions and such. It could be possible for them to have 3 times as much stuff in OR as you experienced in the Beta. The Moon is small, they said the moon is the smallest zone in the game.

Anyway, I liked how the guns and armor can level up, and that skill progression isn't necessarily tied to played level either. The speeder bikes were a nice touch.

I found 4/5 of the golden chests available, explored a bunch of different map areas, did some of the local events, completed a bunch of the open world quests, etc.  In fact, the open world stage was the one I wanted to visit the most.

Loading times were a little long for me.  Social features could be improved.  It was generally easy, except for some of the boss fights and the strike was challenging at lvl 6.  PVP wasn't that inspiring but the map was cool.

I will probably Pre-Order with Amazon so I can get the little bonus rewards and no sales tax,  but Best Buy comes with $10 back if you pre-order.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Excited for this game, 9/9 can't come soon enough. I can't decide if I want to pre-order from Amazon or Best Buy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#40]
If my xbox comes back actually fixed this time I'll be on. I played the beta for like and hour before boxing back up to send to xbox for the second time. Only had it back for a few days before sending it back.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If my xbox comes back actually fixed this time I'll be on. I played the beta for like and hour before boxing back up to send to xbox for the second time. Only had it back for a few days before sending it back.
View Quote

360 or Xbox One?

I have had a couple problems but have been able to fix them so far with a soft restart.

It's scary to think I won't have a warrantee in 6 months.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 3:34:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

360 or Xbox One?

I have had a couple problems but have been able to fix them so far with a soft restart.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

360 or Xbox One?

one

First it stopped turning on, would just chime then shut off. My titanfall was stuck in it and the manual eject wouldnt work. Sent it in they made a note of the game. Get it back a couple weeks later dont see the game, check the one for the game when I get it hooked up. Call them again. "Oh we send that separate and usually takes about 2 weeks to get back to you." okayyyyy.
Couple days later I rent a couple movies. Shit wont go in. I call them back again. Try everything they said. Well we can not issue you a service tag because you already have one open because of the game. " SO wait you want your telling me that I have to wait 2 weeks until the game comes back that you couldnt send back with the one that you just had for 2 weeks. Then I'll have to wait another 2 weeks or so for this one to be fixed and back to me? Go get your supervisor now."   The super got me taken care of, so I got it sent back out. They kept wanting to put a 500 dollar hold on my CC and send me a new one directly. They obviously couldnt understand that I only have set 300 limit on my card, and wasnt bumping it up for an xbox
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#43]
I hope this is a couch co-op. I really dont want to buy another one so the wife can play with me
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I hope this is a couch co-op. I really dont want to buy another one so the wife can play with me
View Quote

Not that I saw.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Fixt

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#47]
5 weeks to wait.. that's a long time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top