Posted: 6/6/2014 7:31:15 AM EDT
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  
Memory:  Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  
Storage:  Seagate  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  
Video Card:  XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  
Case:  Corsair Graphite Series 230T Grey ATX Mid Tower Case  
Power Supply:  Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  
Optical Drive:  Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer  
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  
Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  

Total: $1350ish, shipping and taxes included

We did a lot of research and asking for opinions. I had him watch the 3 Newegg tutorial vids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

He did most of the assembly, I did the wire management, and he loaded the Operating System.

He is VERY pleased!

The monitor will be here today.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:39:08 AM EDT
[#1]
That is totally fucking awesome!
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is totally fucking awesome!
View Quote

Thanks!

He's been using it with our TV, he's excited to finally get a monitor for it.

He's been bragging about "the computer that he built."

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a damn nice build. I'd have killed for that sort of power as a kid

Good gaming monitor choice. Check out http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

Also consider installing a color profile. It helps. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1730425
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Good job OP.  I remember working on computers with my dad when I was around that age too.  Pretty soon he'll know more than you

I've never seen a case with the power supply on the bottom, I like it!
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#6]
well done!
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Great job dad, teaching your son that built can be much better and cheaper than bought.

Good job to you both, looks like a nice machine.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice.

I always wanted to build one as a kid. Finally did it after college.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally, I might have gone with a decent SSD for the primary, and use a standard drive for the mass storage.
You can get spoiled with the 8-10sec boot time.

Either way, I know he'll be pleased
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Personally, I might have gone with a decent SSD for the primary, and use a standard drive for the mass storage.
You can get spoiled with the 8-10sec boot time.

Either way, I know he'll be pleased
View Quote

Eventually, it will have an SSD in it.

The savings went into the monitor.  ;)

The budget was $1300, so we did pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 2:05:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 2:09:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Your kid has a better PC then most of Arfcom's gamers
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 3:14:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Your kid has a better PC then most of Arfcom's gamers
View Quote

Honestly, he deserves it.  

I am tough on my kids, I push them hard to do well in school and they have chores to do around the house. I, according to them, am tougher than their friends' parents. So that tells me I'm doing fine.  

Both he and his sister are straight A students. She will be a Freshman in HS next year, taking all Honors courses. He will be in 7th grade and he's on the same track as her. He'll be in advanced Math, that's the only option in Middle School.

They are both great kids. So, when there is something that they really want, I try to get it for them.

He's got a month to really enjoy this computer. Football starts mid-July. That will sap most of his energy until school starts...
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 3:22:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GeorgeInNePa/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0793_zpsae740cee.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/GeorgeInNePa/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0793_zpsae740cee.jpg</a>
View Quote

Haha I played a little Borderlands 2 with everything wide open last night on my new Thinkpad
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Now just buy him Skyrim and you'll never see him again...
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Can you adopt me? I'll clean up after myself and everything.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I may copy that build for my first as well.

Is that about the highest performance you can get for that price?

Also, how does it do on very graphics intensive games?

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

When it comes to performance your video card is the #1 most important thing, then comes the CPU. You can cheap out on basically everything else. So you could save $100 or so by getting other cheaper components and get a better video card.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Hard drive read speeds are a big contributor in loading times and such, so don't skimp out on a good hard drive.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

It seems like it's a good set-up. It's much, much better than the standard lap top he was using before.

I've been told that we could have saved some money going with an AMD chip and motherboard, but we stayed with Intel. He like to mess around with making videos, so this was a good set-up for him.

If you are real vigilant and watch the parts sellers you can save a little more money by scoring the deals that pop up from time to time.

That GPU that we have was on sale for $399, then there was a coupon code that was worth $65 off that price. Also, there was a mail in rebate for another $30 off, so that card cost $305. Hard to beat for that price/performance.

http://www.legitreviews.com/xfx-radeon-r9-290-double-dissipation-video-card-review_138612
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It seems like it's a good set-up. It's much, much better than the standard lap top he was using before.

I've been told that we could have saved some money going with an AMD chip and motherboard, but we stayed with Intel. He like to mess around with making videos, so this was a good set-up for him.

If you are real vigilant and watch the parts sellers you can save a little more money by scoring the deals that pop up from time to time.

That GPU that we have was on sale for $399, then there was a coupon code that was worth $65 off that price. Also, there was a mail in rebate for another $30 off, so that card cost $305. Hard to beat for that price/performance.

http://www.legitreviews.com/xfx-radeon-r9-290-double-dissipation-video-card-review_138612
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well after this weekend i will have enough saved up to start gathering pieces for the build, I am trying to keep it under $2000 for everything.

I don't plan on getting any consoles so I want a really good PC that will meet all of my gaming needs.

What kind of wireless adapter did you get?

Also, why did you go the i5 over the i7?

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 4:24:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well after this weekend i will have enough saved up to start gathering pieces for the build, I am trying to keep it under $2000 for everything.

I don't plan on getting any consoles so I want a really good PC that will meet all of my gaming needs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have this computer wired to the modem/router, so no WiFi card. I bought this instead:
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B001W26TIW/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_d_6

We stayed with the i5 because it was around $100 cheaper than the i7. The same reason we went with the Hybrid HDD instead of an SSD and a regular HDD. That saved us enough to get the 144hz Asus 24" monitor.

He's using an older keyboard that I had from an old desk top system that we no longer use. So we've been looking at gamer keyboards. That will probably be the next purchase, but we're in no hurry since what he has works for now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Why does your case look white, but when I pull up the pics of it online it looks dark grey?

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why does your case look white, but when I pull up the pics of it online it looks dark grey?

View Quote

The flash washes it out on my cell phone.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#27]
What do you think about this build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nightfalcon007/saved/Jv7v6h

Any critiques?

Other than it being a bit over what I wanted to spend.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What do you think about this build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nightfalcon007/saved/Jv7v6h

Any critiques?

Other than it being a bit over what I wanted to spend.
View Quote

Besides gaming, what else are you going to do with that computer?

If the answer is "not much else", you could cut the RAM in half.

You have a MOBO and CPU that are overclockable, but you have no aftermarket CPU cooler. If you are going to overclock, you really should have one. If you're not going to overclock, you could shave off $60-70 by using a non-K CPU and a H97 mobo instead of a Z97.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top