Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:49:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Here's basically how I'm wanting it to end up.  I haven't bought the video card yet, or Windows, but I have everything else in that list.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qvBJBm

I didn't really set a budget.  I know what I want to play and what quality/settings I want to be able to play at, so I'm working towards getting there.  

That said, if I end up below $1500 for the PC, I'll be happy with that.

My original plan with the GPU was to go with a 780, which would have increased the overall cost by about $150-200, but I've been reading a lot about the 970 in particular, and like that Texan guy mentioned, it's basically 780 performance, at a 770 price.  It draws way less power than the 780 does too.  I think that's gonna be my GPU of choice, I'm in the home stretch and hope to have this done and running sometime in the next few weeks to another month.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If only you were good at video games building this PC would almost be worth it for you......

All joking aside...  I am curious what the final cost of the build is with the changes and everything.  It looks like you are putting a lot of higher quality components.  Are you finding yourself spending a lot more than your original budget?

I plan on having a lower end PC available to me from now on to help me handle my Counter Strike addiction that I developed recently.  I am looking forward to seeing how your build works out for you.

Here's basically how I'm wanting it to end up.  I haven't bought the video card yet, or Windows, but I have everything else in that list.

I didn't really set a budget.  I know what I want to play and what quality/settings I want to be able to play at, so I'm working towards getting there.  

My original plan with the GPU was to go with a 780, which would have increased the overall cost by about $150-200, but I've been reading a lot about the 970 in particular, and like that Texan guy mentioned, it's basically 780 performance, at a 770 price.  It draws way less power than the 780 does too.  I think that's gonna be my GPU of choice, I'm in the home stretch and hope to have this done and running sometime in the next few weeks to another month.

What are you going to put on the SSD?   Are you just putting your windows and boot stuff on there?  

Do you have that place up in the city you were talking about yet?  Is that where you are getting the faster internet?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#4]
You're so close to BF/CM, that it probably would save you a fair bit if you can wait to buy.  You need to be a little flexible on parts, though.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Would it be a savings worth waiting for?  I've never shopped PC parts on Black Friday.
View Quote

I build my computer last year around cyber monday and I saved a good deal.  There are usually good MB/CPU combos, good RAM deals, and great SSD and HDD deals.  I actually got my 4770k for $199 as part of a combo, a year ago.

eta:  You are overpaying for that 1 TB WD Black.  Excellent drive but 1 TB is small and overpriced.  My 4TB Black was $200.  I saw a deal on slickdeals a few days ago for a 2 TB Black for $85.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I might just upgrade my HDs. They're both 6 + years old.

Probably one SSD and one internal 2gbs.

Might upgrade the graphics card...980?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just bought a 240 GB Intel 530 SSD at Best Buy for $134.99.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think I saw a 500 gb in the 200s online.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Today I ask myself "Why would I want a 500 GB ssd?".

A few years from now, it will be "Why would I want a 500 GB hdd?".  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Decisions...

Nvidia has GTX 780, 970 and 980 out.  Benchmarks between the 780 and 970 still have the 780 on top.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#12]
780 TI SC's are still in the $700 range.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
780 TI SC's are still in the $700 range.

View Quote

www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

They just updated it today.  It was different yesterday.

Looks like 970 has a good bang for a buck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If only you were good at video games building this PC would almost be worth it for you......

All joking aside...  I am curious what the final cost of the build is with the changes and everything.  It looks like you are putting a lot of higher quality components.  Are you finding yourself spending a lot more than your original budget?

I plan on having a lower end PC available to me from now on to help me handle my Counter Strike addiction that I developed recently.  I am looking forward to seeing how your build works out for you.

Wow everything looks great, but FYI you could go a lot cheaper on a few things and still be able to play all the newest games for a few years on ultra settings.

Also why the CPU fan? My case had so many fans in it in the box that it is cold to the touch without adding any extra.

Its up to you there is nothing wrong with getting that PC as is, it looks excellent but if you want to save some money you could get a cheaper video card, mother board, and hard drive

check these out

video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127783

motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157304

hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840
If you switch the parts out and ditch the cooler you can cut off what I think around close to 500 dollars off your bill and still play any game that comes out in the next few years on ultra settings.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I plan on overclocking, hence the CPU cooler.  And I've read that Intel's stock i5 cooler ain't the greatest out there, even running at stock speeds.

I don't want to unnecessarily spend money, but I don't mind paying for quality either, if that makes any sense.  I've never owned a really capable PC, I figure I'm long overdue to treat myself.
View Quote

I would go with a bigger power supply. Thats just me though.
I just got this one. Insane
Buy once cry once. My 550watt wouldnt run my video card.
So getting that case.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#17]
So 1KW is what is needed these days?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you use the pc parts picker website, it'll give you a recommended watts needed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#20]
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/pcpartspicker111/saved/BqwmP6

This is my build.   I have everything except for the video card, CPU and motherboard.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This is my build.   I have everything except for the video card, CPU and motherboard.
View Quote

Why did you decide to go with the Crucial SSD instead of an Intel or Samsung?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never looked into Intel, but Samsung has been having a lot of issues as of late with massive data slow downs.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If you use the pc parts picker website, it'll give you a recommended watts needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

no, that is overkill for 9/10 pc's

I've got a "mega" PC and I think I use a little under 500 watts, I put in a 750w in case I upgrade in the future but it wasn't needed.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've got a "mega" PC and I think I use a little under 500 watts, I put in a 750w in case I upgrade in the future but it wasn't needed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

Couldn't tell.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Couldn't tell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Couldn't tell.
Didnt even mean to quote you lol. Was trying to answer the original question of "is 1000 watts the norm?".

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Didnt even mean to quote you lol. Was trying to answer the original question of "is 1000 watts the norm?".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Couldn't tell.

Ha.

I use 850, and it's plenty.

Unless you use more than one video card, it's not worth going high.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The PSU calculators I've used figured somewhere around 510-520W using a 780. That drops by like 100W if I use a GTX970. I think 650w should more than suffice for what I'm doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I plan on overclocking, hence the CPU cooler.  And I've read that Intel's stock i5 cooler ain't the greatest out there, even running at stock speeds.

I don't want to unnecessarily spend money, but I don't mind paying for quality either, if that makes any sense.  I've never owned a really capable PC, I figure I'm long overdue to treat myself.

I would go with a bigger power supply. Thats just me though.
I just got this one. Insane
Buy once cry once. My 550watt wouldnt run my video card.
So getting that case.

The PSU calculators I've used figured somewhere around 510-520W using a 780. That drops by like 100W if I use a GTX970. I think 650w should more than suffice for what I'm doing.

I had a ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550. Wouldnt work with my power supply no matter what I did. Changed it to the bigger one and it works perfect.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RdfBFT  Price as configured is

I tweaked your setup a little, I'm not sure why your hard drive didn't have a price (did you already have one?), but I picked one that was ~$89 and basically the same.  I also changed the PSU for something slightly cheaper with more wattage (future proof?) at the same 80+ Gold rating, and it's EVGA which is a brand I prefer but YMMV.  I also added another stick of 8gb of ram as you might as well get 16 to start with and once again YMMV!

I completely agree with your choice of 970 btw, especially the 0974-KR version, that's what I plan on upgrading to probably next year when funds allow.  It should be a little cheaper then too maybe?

If you take off the price of the HDD (as it was in your link at the top of page 3) and the extra stick of RAM then your price after rebates (important distinction) is $1260.84 vs $1283.07 for a slightly better, in my opinion, setup.  If you however leave those items, after rebates it's $1401.82 which is pretty good imo!  Regardless of your decision's you've got a good setup there!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I tweaked your setup a little, I'm not sure why your hard drive didn't have a price (did you already have one?), but I picked one that was ~$89 and basically the same.  I also changed the PSU for something slightly cheaper with more wattage (future proof?) at the same 80+ Gold rating, and it's EVGA which is a brand I prefer but YMMV.  I also added another stick of 8gb of ram as you might as well get 16 to start with and once again YMMV!

I completely agree with your choice of 970 btw, especially the 0974-KR version, that's what I plan on upgrading to probably next year when funds allow.  It should be a little cheaper then too maybe?

If you take off the price of the HDD (as it was in your link at the top of page 3) and the extra stick of RAM then your price after rebates (important distinction) is $1260.84 vs $1283.07 for a slightly better, in my opinion, setup.  If you however leave those items, after rebates it's $1401.82 which is pretty good imo!  Regardless of your decision's you've got a good setup there!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What programs even take advantage of it? Computer (for the most part) these days doesn't use more than 4 or 6..
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#30]
http://forums.evga.com/have-an-04GP42975KR-coming-tomorrow-and-Im-depressed-I-already-have-to-return-it-m2220876.aspx

Wonder how much truth is in that....

Hopefully none, I consider EVGA to be one of the top 2 companies.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Hmmm... that is indeed no good if true.... I'm hoping it's more along the lines of they found a cheaper not worse way to make a cooler....  I really want one of the new cards.

And yeah you're right about the ram, 8 is probably enough, but I guess one stick just looks goofy all by itself in the case!

ETA: In all honesty, I'm hesitant to upgrade my card as it has a lifetime warranty and few cards if any of EVGA's current offerings have a lifetime warranty...
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Everything on my list aside from the OS and video card is pretty much set in stone, since I've already bought it and have it in my hands.  I'd rather not put up with RMAs and shipping stuff back unless it's broken or just flat out won't work with what I'm doing.

That is a little disconcerting hearing about the 970, but who knows.  Maybe I will wait 'till Black Friday and see what's up then.  For the time being, just with what I've read, I think the GTX970 suits me perfectly for what I'm wanting, and the price is right.  
View Quote

EVGA ' S support system has been solid.

I'd be surprised about the comment, but you never know.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:35:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Honestly it sounded a lot like the threads here where people will start shit talking brands on hearsay alone...

Anyway, I guess I was under the impression that all of the products were "about to be ordered", and not "already ordered!"

Looks good regardless!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Honestly it sounded a lot like the threads here where people will start shit talking brands on hearsay alone...

Anyway, I guess I was under the impression that all of the products were "about to be ordered", and not "already ordered!"

Looks good regardless!
View Quote

970 hasn't been released yet?

Explains why newegg has it as "out of stock".
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:41:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks good regardless!

I think I saw it "in stock" the other day but I'm not really in the market so it didn't really strike me as unusual.  The next day I after realizing how new they were I checked again and they were gone!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think I saw it "in stock" the other day but I'm not really in the market so it didn't really strike me as unusual.  The next day I after realizing how new they were I checked again and they were gone!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks good regardless!

I don't like how each card has a thousand variations of it from the same manufacturer.

Just give me one option, damnit!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't like how each card has a thousand variations of it from the same manufacturer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks good regardless!

Why does this bother you?  I have a 780, the FTW edition.  It has dual BIOS.  There's a dip switch to select one or the other.  It also has the ACX cooler.  EVGA makes several other version.  You can buy the one that priorities what is important to you.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Why does this bother you?  I have a 780, the FTW edition.  It has dual BIOS.  There's a dip switch to select one or the other.  It also has the ACX cooler.  EVGA makes several other version.  You can buy the one that priorities what is important to you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks good regardless!

Cause it makes me do research.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I usually just look for the one with the highest clock speeds and go from there.  If there is a longer warranty period that usually factors in pretty heavily as well.  Most cards today seem to have three year warranties, and if my current card did not have a lifetime warranty then it would be expired as of August.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top