Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 6:33:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Any board by asus or msi will serve you well. I would recommend you use new egg before you use tigerdirect. New egg always has the newer stuff and they have better customer service.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to say but you made a bad choice buying a Dell small form factor PC if you want to play modern games. Your choices of video card are severely limited due to needing a low profile card and having a very underpowered power supply. Not to mention the CPU is also pretty dated.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't have any new, high end games, so that might not be much of a problem.  I used to get by with a Radeon 7000, so as I say, any decent video card that will fit will probably work all right.  What would you suggest?

For example, Newegg starts off with this listing; what features are the most important, and which would you suggest?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=low%20profile%20video%20card%20pci%20express%20x16&Submit=ENE
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry to say but you made a bad choice buying a Dell small form factor PC if you want to play modern games. Your choices of video card are severely limited due to needing a low profile card and having a very underpowered power supply. Not to mention the CPU is also pretty dated.

I don't have any new, high end games, so that might not be much of a problem.  I used to get by with a Radeon 7000, so as I say, any decent video card that will fit will probably work all right.  What would you suggest?

For example, Newegg starts off with this listing; what features are the most important, and which would you suggest?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=low%20profile%20video%20card%20pci%20express%20x16&Submit=ENE

You could probably go with something like a Geforce GT 630. It's not a powerful card by any stretch but if you're only playing older games it would probably work fine. There is still a concern about the power supply, if it has anything less than a 300 watt power supply I don't think it'll be powerful enough for even the GT 630. Hell, even a 300 watt PSU would be pushing it IMO.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

From the plate on the unit, total wattage is 460W  (115V x 4A) .  No idea about wattage of Power Supply itself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could probably go with something like a Geforce GT 630. It's not a powerful card by any stretch but if you're only playing older games it would probably work fine. There is still a concern about the power supply, if it has anything less than a 300 watt power supply I don't think it'll be powerful enough for even the GT 630. Hell, even a 300 watt PSU would be pushing it IMO.

From the plate on the unit, total wattage is 460W  (115V x 4A) .  No idea about wattage of Power Supply itself.

According to Dell's web site the 760 has a 255 watt power supply. I don't think that's going to cut it for really any video cards that are better than the onboard GPU.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. And 8GB is kinda low now. 16GB is fast becoming the standard for any PC gamer. I splurged and got 32GB when I built my PC last year. Not gonna have memory issues in my PC before I replace it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#10]
So far this is probably the only one I see that may work for you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129149

Almost every other one recommends a minimum 300w psu.

ETA: Ignore the link above. You'll actually need this one which includes the low profile bracket: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129157
It's the same model otherwise.

The performance increase would likely be marginal over the stock GPU and not worth the extra money IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#11]
IL2's graphics are DX7 era.  The only shader model 3 features are the water effects that were added in PacFi over 10 years ago.  Your onboard graphics can probably run it without breaking a sweat.

Spend that money on some Sim gear.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm grateful for the answers, since I know next to nothing about all this.

Please let me know if anything else occurs to you.

I wonder if upgrading the power supply to a more powerful unit is an option?  If it's a simple R and R, with same hook-ups, I should be able to do that.  Any ideas?
View Quote

Most likely the power supply in the 760 is proprietary, that's typically the case with Dell's small desktops.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top