Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2014 6:11:56 AM EDT
Installing another game and I checked to see how big my steam folder is, out of curiosity.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]

peebucket resizing images so bad.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me lower the bar a little
88.8 GB on the SSD

125 GB on the HDD

Those are just the games I have installed right now though. I also have a huge folder on an external drive full of 7z backups of those games plus the other ones I own but don't have installed currently.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:47:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I generally only have the four or five games I'm playing right now installed, so my steam folder is sub 50gb almost all the time. I also run all my games off of a dedicated Sata 3 SSD that is only like 128gb itself.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Speaking of a massive steam Library im currently in the works on making mine. Is it possible to transfer your entire steam library install files to a separate drive later on im running a samsung 1tb ssd and when i get an extra 500 I was going to get another 1tb ssd just for my steam lirbrary.  If I can do I just transfer the steam folder over our what?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Speaking of a massive steam Library im currently in the works on making mine. Is it possible to transfer your entire steam library install files to a separate drive later on im running a samsung 1tb ssd and when i get an extra 500 I was going to get another 1tb ssd just for my steam lirbrary.  If I can do I just transfer the steam folder over our what?
View Quote

Yeah there's a couple ways to do it. You can add a second folder to your steam library and then copy the games to it (probably have to copy the corresponding .acf file as well).

It's probably easier to just move the folders for the games you want on that drive (or the entire "common" folder if you want to move all of them) and then symlink it from its original location.

This is what I did so I can easily move games back and forth between my SSD and hard drive without having to reinstall them or deal with steam managing two folders.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine's not very big, because I try to keep my library on my SSD for faster loading.  I generally just keep a few beloved games (Mass effect and Skyrim for example) on there permanently.  Most other games get downloaded and then deleted a month or two after I am done with them to make way for others.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah there's a couple ways to do it. You can add a second folder to your steam library and then copy the games to it (probably have to copy the corresponding .acf file as well).

It's probably easier to just move the folders for the games you want on that drive (or the entire "common" folder if you want to move all of them) and then symlink it from its original location.
This is what I did so I can easily move games back and forth between my SSD and hard drive without having to reinstall them or deal with steam managing two folders.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

whats symlink is that just where I change the file destination in steam?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

whats symlink is that just where I change the file destination in steam?

View Quote

It's something you do in the operating system, kind of like making a shortcut.

Using this I just move the folder to the second drive, then right click on it and select "pick link source," then I go back to where it used to be (where Steam had it before and still expects it to be), and right click again and select "drop link as > junction."  

Then, as far as Steam and Windows are concerned, all of the files are still on the first drive, but in reality they're on the second drive and not taking up any space on the first.

If I want to move it back to the first drive, I just delete the link (junction) and move the folder back to where it used to be, and I'm done.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine is relatively small (<100gb) but I only ever have a few games installed at a time.  I have 141 games in my Steam Library right now, but only 10 are installed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I do a symbolic link for the steamapps\common folder to my Games folder so I can't see how much is only from Steam as they are all in one folder. I have 303 games on Steam alone, but all of my games installed currently take up 980GB. Most are from Steam and only a few are from Origin/Uplay.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top