Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 10:25:13 AM EDT
Is anyone here playing? I just started it, have a lvl 19 toon on Jedi Covenant.
Is it worth subbing to? It seems to have a lot of things that you can't do on a free account.
Most of those things CAN be done on a Rift free account. How the heck does the crafting work?
I'm sure that my gear sucks donkey balls, but not having a clue about the crafting I can't do much about it.
Is there any point of trying to join a guild while on a free account? I am so tired of running everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]

I played it for half a year.....

It is not worth it. Its an endless grind....

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Played it for a while and got bored with it.

It's not so fun to play by yourself.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm still currently subbed to swtor, have 3 level 50-55's on Jedi Covenant and a handful of lower levels.  I reupped my sub after a year to play the new galactic starfighter expansion.
When i first started playing the game, it was with a group of arfcommers, and it was right after the game went free to play. We all pretty much lasted 1 day before we were all subbed...its night and day.
#1 F2P you dont start the game with the faster run option right at the start at level 1. You can unlock it later i believe as a skill, level 12? 15? something like that.
#2 You can't learn your first speeder training level until a later level.
#3 You can't equip purple's (the highest rated gear and mods in the game) Found this out by taking my 50 and soloing lower level world bosses for the gear drops to give to a clanmate who was free to play.
#4 You can only have so much in game money at one time. Once you hit your cap it starts banking your extra cash that you can access if you ever upgrade to preferred or sub. This will also make it impossible to buy higher priced items in the auction house.
#5 You cannot PVP warzone, do space missions, etc without buying passes. this will be either through the auction house with ingame money or cartel coins via cartel market (real money microtransaction shop)
#6 You are limited on how many crafting/gathering/ crew skill you have (think you can only have 1 or 2, where as subs get all 3)
theres probably a bunch of other things i'm missing since its been awhile since i've had to deal with the free to play stuff.

Dont get me wrong tho. swtor is an awesome MMO, it was one of the first ones i played i thoroughly enjoyed. The game has great stories and so many cut scenes and dialogue that some MMOs just dont have.
right now tho i'm also subbed in elder scrolls online

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the answers guys. I'm subbed to Rift. Over there the free players have it a lot better, but I still like the perks so I keep subbing.
Sounds like I'm going to eventually sub to this one if I decide to keep playing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, I ended up subbing to it. I figured I would.
As to it being a grind, all MMOs are. I do agree that it isn't so much fun playing by yourself.
My highest toon is 25 now. Yes I'm an altaholic.
Hopefully I'll find a guild that is a good fit soon. I really am enjoying the game.
When I first got to Tatooine I was like .
Looking back I have to admit that Star Wars was probably the movie that had the biggest effect on me in my childhood.
I'm old so I saw it when it first came out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm still subscribed, but haven't played much in a long time.  Basically the people that I played with stopped.  I'm not in a guild or anything either, so I just kind of stopped as well.  

An Arfcom guild could be fun if we could get enough dudes to play.

I have four characters on Jedi Covenant:

Lvl 51 Bounty Hunter

Lvl 24 Assassin

Lvl 12 Trooper

Lvl 11 Jedi Guardian
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I play it with my wife and a couple friends, we don't really do any endgame stuff, just play through the class stories.

Started at launch and then stopped for about a year, it really has gotten better since then.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I am a sub.  It's worth every penny.  There is so much to do.  I am a casual gamer though
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Is there any benefit to your companion liking you? Cause mine seems to get pissed when I shoot people when I don't have to.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Improved crafting/gathering results usually.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there any benefit to your companion liking you? Cause mine seems to get pissed when I shoot people when I don't have to.

Improved crafting/gathering results usually.

But you can just give them gifts and say/do whatever the hell you want like I do

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I beta tested the game, then played from launch for slightly over a year. Eventually I quit around March of 2013 out of sheer boredom. I had done everything in the game - three top level characters decked out in end-game raid gear, completed all the flashpoints and ops, ranked pretty high in PvP, etc. All there was left to do was just level alts, and after doing that two additional times I wasn't willing to do it again. Eventually I went back to playing around January of this year. The game was fun again with new stuff to do - 5 new levels, new flashpoints and ops, etc. My old guild and friends had all quit, so I found a new guild of like-minded people. I was having fun, but that only lasted four months before getting bored again (point I am at now). In that four months I was easily able to level two of my level 50 characters to 55, run all the new flashpoints and ops ad nauseam, and do all the new dailies until my eyes bled. I just let my guild know I'm taking a break from the game.

Having been a long-time MMO fan I've seen the pendulum swing from really time-intensive hard games (EQ and early WoW raiding), to where it is at now (really easy catering to casual players). There are pros and cons to both. The downside IMO to the current genre of MMOs is that instead of adding new content, of having more "end-game" content at launch or soon after launch, they just recycle the same stuff but make it harder. So you run ABC dungeon at level 50, then wahoo at level 55 you run the same thing again just with more difficult critters and better loot rewards. Its like reading the same final chapter in a book, just re-written with a thesaurus and using bigger words.

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Darth Malgus is still a bad ass.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I am playing a Bounty Hunter. I was wondering who did the voice for the companion (Mako), because she sounded hot.
It's Lacey Chabert.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:07:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been playing for about a month now, and I'm enjoying it.  I wish I could just pick out what light saber handle I was using and mod it from there with parts, but otherwise no complaints.  I love playing a DS Sith Lord!
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Ah, I haven't found any of those yet.  I just hit level 47, and I blew all my credits on my Darkside V speeder!
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#21]
So... any of you on Jedi Covenant up for an Arfmeet?

I should have added my characters' names:

BH = Syrisa

SA = Neyla

JK = Iskanis

CM = Haldan

Not really doing much with the commando at the moment.  I want to move along my JK, but I'm down for whatever.

(Yes, I do the mangina thing on the Sith side )
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Ah, I haven't found any of those yet.  I just hit level 47, and I blew all my credits on my Darkside V speeder!
View Quote
used to be alot of orange moddable lightsabers on the GTN cheap and plentiful from the cartel packs

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:31:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I would love to pay and play it but I don't own a PC.  Waiting on that elusive Mac version.

That said, if you guys remember those super CG trailers before it's release, are there those in the game or is it more cartoon-y like the game?
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I would love to pay and play it but I don't own a PC.  Waiting on that elusive Mac version.

View Quote

That said, if you guys remember those super CG trailers before it's release, are there those in the game or is it more cartoon-y like the game?

You mean are there more "cut-scene" stuff in game?  Yes.  But they are based on in game/your character models and not the stuff in those release trailers.

Frankly I'd like to see a full feature movie/trilogy based from those guys based on The Old Republic.  They were spectacular in quality.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean are there more "cut-scene" stuff in game?  Yes.  But they are based on in game/your character models and not the stuff in those release trailers.

Frankly I'd like to see a full feature movie/trilogy based from those guys based on The Old Republic.  They were spectacular in quality.
The cutscenes are like what your character looks like on the character selection page.  I just achieved the Darth title last night with my Sith Marauder.  I liked the plot, and wish they had more, though I'm not quite done yet either, just doing some cleanup on other worlds before I move on to Hutt space.  I'm going to try some PVP too, but I don't usually enjoy that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top