BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 174
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You mean like the nets they currently use on aircraft carriers for that purpose?  While I agree that it's a silly thing as a game mechanic, it's not a horrible question when you're talking immersion.  Watch Wing Commander....such a net would not have been out of place there.

Birds, on the other hand...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sorry for being a noob to this, just started a couple weeks ago, but what does bird confirmed mean? I've been seeing that here and on the subreddit.

The very first question for Chris Roberts during the live stream was "Will there be birds in Star Citizen?"

It was a retarded question, and you could tell he wanted to say "That's a retarded question!", but he's too damned polite so he basically said yes.

Watch 10 for the chairmen videos and you'll see idiotic questions like that all the time it sorta reminds me of Minecraft con only not quite that level of idiotic. "Will there be nets to catch your ship if it's making a fast/emergency landing?" You can ask the creator/developer of the game anything and you wanna know if there will be nets. oooooooooookaaaaaaaaaaay...

You mean like the nets they currently use on aircraft carriers for that purpose?  While I agree that it's a silly thing as a game mechanic, it's not a horrible question when you're talking immersion.  Watch Wing Commander....such a net would not have been out of place there.

Supposedly, in the original outline some ships were going to need a runway to take off, and V/STOL ships would have a minor advantage.  It's all gone now, as far as I know, but some ships still have wheels on their landing gear.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sorry for being a noob to this, just started a couple weeks ago, but what does bird confirmed mean? I've been seeing that here and on the subreddit.

The very first question for Chris Roberts during the live stream was "Will there be birds in Star Citizen?"

It was a retarded question, and you could tell he wanted to say "That's a retarded question!", but he's too damned polite so he basically said yes.

Watch 10 for the chairmen videos and you'll see idiotic questions like that all the time it sorta reminds me of Minecraft con only not quite that level of idiotic. "Will there be nets to catch your ship if it's making a fast/emergency landing?" You can ask the creator/developer of the game anything and you wanna know if there will be nets. oooooooooookaaaaaaaaaaay...

Hey, birds in half life 2 were awesome!
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Supposedly, in the original outline some ships were going to need a runway to take off, and V/STOL ships would have a minor advantage.  It's all gone now, as far as I know, but some ships still have wheels on their landing gear.
View Quote

Realistically even on a completely VTOL craft wheels are nice to have for ground handling.  Rather than having to attach wheels to tow a ship (like Hueys and Cobras had to) they can simply be tugged around where they need to get moved.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The new Freelancer is looking pretty sweet. The original looked so god awful compared to the concept art.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:09:07 AM EDT
[#5]
If we're in the 87th we can also be in another org right as long as we use the 87th tag?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:41:31 AM EDT
[#6]
We could make money renting our idris to other orgs say arfcom personnel on the bridge only and they have to pay us and man everything else
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We could make money renting our idris to other orgs say arfcom personnel on the bridge only and they have to pay us and man everything else
View Quote

That's not a half bad idea really.  IMO it would probably be safer if we are known for logistical support instead of direct combat support if hired though.  Less potential for adverse reactions with other orgs.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:48:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:50:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's not a half bad idea really.  IMO it would probably be safer if we are known for logistical support instead of direct combat support if hired though.  Less potential for adverse reactions with other orgs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What funs that?!

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If we're in the 87th we can also be in another org right as long as we use the 87th tag?
View Quote

The 87th is a secondary org for me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:Quoted:I have a dozen ships I need to upgrade before I even start to think about a Javelin.
View Quote

How do you have that many ships???

I'm still trying to figure out how to get ships...
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Quoted:I have a dozen ships I need to upgrade before I even start to think about a Javelin.

You trade for them.  For instance, I traded a dining room table for an Armada pack.  

As for the buying of the ships, it's a little clunky, but once you get it figured out it's easy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Am I the only one that grabbed the Crucible? I feel like I'm gonna be busy shortly after release

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yxbiR54X2Evh5nUh-wy-UdUelIdb1O0ENgl14IPRsXk/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Am I the only one that grabbed the Crucible? I feel like I'm gonna be busy shortly after release

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yxbiR54X2Evh5nUh-wy-UdUelIdb1O0ENgl14IPRsXk/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0
View Quote

No, I have one.  I plan on yanking the jump drive and loaning it out to customers while they're in port as a perk of doing business with me.  I have zero interest in being a wrench turner or laser operator.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm doing it right now I'm buying Star Citizen!
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#16]
The unmelt system is live under "Buy Back Pledges" in your hanger.  

However:

"The Pledge Buy Back system allows you to repurchase pledges that you previously exchanged for store credit, even if they are no longer available in the store.

Note: Coupons and store credits cannot be used to buy back a pledge."
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

Christ, I hope so.  I'm in 3 other orgs (counting my own that I created for a group of local friends).

87th not only isn't my prime org, it's not even going to be on my ship.  The duties of an 87th member are to support the 87th, and (presumably) not shoot any of them out of the sky.

Also, I still have that $30 MR package if anybody's looking.  I could melt it for credit and get an upgrade, but I'd rather save somebody money.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#18]
2.1 is in the PTU now.  No invite here, guess I didn't make the cut.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up.  Downloading.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Unmelting supposed to be going live today(ish).  Not up yet, though.  Still waiting for ship downgrades.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The unmelt system is live under "Buy Back Pledges" in your hanger.  

However:

"The Pledge Buy Back system allows you to repurchase pledges that you previously exchanged for store credit, even if they are no longer available in the store.

Note: Coupons and store credits cannot be used to buy back a pledge."
View Quote

I didn't realize that I had anything I had melted.  Now I'm going to be tempted to unmelt stuff.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Unmelting supposed to be going live today(ish).  Not up yet, though.  Still waiting for ship downgrades.
View Quote

It's up...see 4 posts up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Asshole!  I better get a screenshot of that Sabre.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 1:15:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Tried rebuying my 2 reliants wont let me
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 1:23:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tried rebuying my 2 reliants wont let me
View Quote

Huh, lets me add to cart and all that like normal.  I'd go through further, but I don't have the $50 to spare to test it out.  Getting another Reliant LTI is on my list though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:24:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:48:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Well my laptop had a heart attack trying to run SC I am sad now and will have to wait until I build my PC to play
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Totally not regretting melting my Super Hornet for the Sabre.  This thing makes me think of the F14 and that G.I. Joe jet with the red cockpit glass.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Totally not regretting melting my Super Hornet for the Sabre.  This thing makes me think of the F14 and that G.I. Joe jet with the red cockpit glass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's a pretty ship.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the UI on it since it has a lot more displays than most of the other ships.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well my laptop had a heart attack trying to run SC I am sad now and will have to wait until I build my PC to play
View Quote

whatever you get, get a cpu with a lot of cores, this is one of the first few games that takes full advantage of multiple cores.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#32]
So, there I was, browsing through my hanger, just admiring my fleet, when I saw this:

Holiday Wreath!?  Sweet!

....wait a minute.  Why does it show a second Idris?

It seems that in my enthusiasm to buy one during a limited sale at 3am, I bought two by mistake  
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So, there I was, browsing through my hanger, just admiring my fleet, when I saw this:

http://i.imgur.com/cBeutgl.jpg

Holiday Wreath!?  Sweet!

It seems that in my enthusiasm to buy one during a limited sale at 3am, I bought two by mistake  
View Quote

We had wreaths in our hangars after we first got them.  Damn things didn't get removed until almost summer.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/cBeutgl.jpg

Holiday Wreath!?  Sweet!

View Quote

That's one expensive oops.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

whatever you get, get a cpu with a lot of cores, this is one of the first few games that takes full advantage of multiple cores.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one I had lined up was quad, should I get 6?

ETA: Planned Build
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just heard they said on RtV that an i5 would not be sufficient for the full release, so I'd highly advise an i7.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I just heard they said on RtV that an i5 would not be sufficient for the full release, so I'd highly advise an i7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck me, seriously?

Well, I guess I'll have to go big or go home when I build a tower.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Fuck me, seriously?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck me, seriously?

All those parts but a better CPU? I really hope so. Tell me if that will work.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
All those parts but a better CPU? I really hope so. Tell me if that will work.
View Quote

Might need a larger power supply for the CPU but it should.  IMO I might consider a different drive though, WD and Seagate have higher failure rates that Toshiba and Samsung, depending on model.  The Seagate Barracuda drives are something like 10% last I checked.

That said, if you back up regularly, it's a non issue.  I'm just overly sensitive about drive failure since I lost 5 years of photo work.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#42]
The price went up a little New Build Plans
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good thing you got a fan controller...that many 120mm fans and you'd need hearing protection if they all ran on max.

I have a Coolermaster HAF Evo XB case...big square looking thing...with the V8 cpu cooler, it runs cool and silent when I kill the 2 front 120mm fans, but it's a bit noisy when I fire them up to game.  Not sure why I don't just leave em off, temp never gets above 47...running at 39 right now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#44]

Its a pretty ship but still rather buggy at the moment.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Good thing you got a fan controller...that many 120mm fans and you'd need hearing protection if they all ran on max.

I have a Coolermaster HAF Evo XB case...big square looking thing...with the V8 cpu cooler, it runs cool and silent when I kill the 2 front 120mm fans, but it's a bit noisy when I fire them up to game.  Not sure why I don't just leave em off, temp never gets above 47...running at 39 right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually I changed the setup again THIS should be my FINAL change Really the last one
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Actually I changed the setup again THIS should be my FINAL change Really the last one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the latest and greatest from intel

WARNING if you use a huge beefy cooler on this chip it will bend...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007671%20600565702%20600005573
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:45:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007671%20600565702%20600005573
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cannot afford that right now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Here are the main details on my build:  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xj3x8d

I got better prices than what are shown.  I hit the price dip that hit right before z170 hit the shelves, and probably came in $300 or better under that price.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:03:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Fuck me, seriously?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck me, seriously?

son of a bish. So... the build I just finished isn't even going to run it. Eh..., guess I'll give it to the old lady in a year and go balls out on my next one. Gonna go skylake and dump some cash on a next gen card whenever they drop then.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:09:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Here are the main details on my build:  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xj3x8d

I got better prices than what are shown.  I hit the price dip that hit right before z170 hit the shelves, and probably came in $300 or better under that price.
View Quote

Thanks for reminding me to add a wifi adapter.
Page / 174
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top