Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 47
Posted: 2/26/2013 5:54:15 PM EDT

Overview

War Thunder is an open beta combat oriented game featuring equipment from WW1 to post Korean vehicles. Originally focusing only on aviation the game released tanks and current naval assets are under development. The goal is to have combined warfare on a multitude of large scale maps. Players can fight overhead, below, or even out at sea and be able to effect the battle and others in it regardless of the method they chose to conduct warfare. The game features a cash shop but is free to play and not a single dime is needed to enjoy the game or unlock what a paying customer can access.

Developers stated there is no wipe scheduled when development is completed

Battles consist of arcade, realistic, and simulator modes all with different degrees of difficulty and game-play.

Click here to view the official war thunder page

Teamspeak info

Contact a squadron member for more information.

AR15 Squadrons (Clans)

-AR15- ARFCOM

NAVAL ASSETS ANNOUNCED

Official announcement here
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been playing this off and on for the past couple of weeks.  Fun game!  There are lots of really good pilots out there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Play it all the time

in game name is the same as on here

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Started playing it a few weeks back. Fun game, but I keep getting some random crashing.

I hear that it is soon going to be available via Steam?
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Started playing it a few weeks back. Fun game, but I keep getting some random crashing.

I hear that it is soon going to be available via Steam?

Soon, it was recently green-lighted on steam.

also just remembered that i have a video of one of my runs on War Thunder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SMEElqBPow

Link Posted: 2/28/2013 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Eh I tried but Im not really intereseted.
IL2 FM's (that have taken the better part of 10 years to fix) with lots of eye candy.
Im WAY more interested in seeing what Team Fusion does with Cliffs of Failure.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Just had an Epic sortie, with 15 kills and 0 deaths.

i am really loving the Japanese planes, they maneuver extremely well, unfortunately they cant take much damage and their firepower is meh.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

i am really loving the Japanese planes, they maneuver extremely well, unfortunately they cant take much damage and their firepower is meh.

I fly Germany planes. I like to zoom and boom. Works stupidly well if you do it right. I really need to buy a joystick though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fly Germany planes. I like to zoom and boom. Works stupidly well if you do it right. I really need to buy a joystick though.

Mouse and keyboard is much better if you play arcade mode

Link Posted: 3/1/2013 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#9]

This is before the corsair had a flight model also, so it was a flying brick.  Sadly, the game isn't going to be what everyone wishes, and as an alpha/beta tester with mucho insider info, I havn't logged in for about 4 months in the game.

3 kills wern't counted also, I was 22-0 for that game in the F4U-C
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/Pheniox/aces2012-10-2022-55-17-20.jpg

This is before the corsair had a flight model also, so it was a flying brick.  Sadly, the game isn't going to be what everyone wishes, and as an alpha/beta tester with mucho insider info, I havn't logged in for about 4 months in the game.

nice

Link Posted: 3/1/2013 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

nice

I am downloading it agin, I might jump on this evening some and play.  You guys use a server for comms?  I am mostly an arcade person as I havn't gotten around to getting my HOTUS bought and setup yet.   Also, are american planes still as bad as they used to be?

I grinded to r20 american  prior to the wipe, and a few weeks after the wipe(first player both times to hit r20 for american) but after they nerfed the bombers due to me, nerfed the p47 and F6F(granted, rockets needed a nerf since I was pulling 70 out of 80 ground targets per match in 2 minutes) due to me, I kinda got frustrated and quit.   Are american planes still very bleh?
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

nice

I am downloading it agin, I might jump on this evening some and play.  You guys use a server for comms?  I am mostly an arcade person as I havn't gotten around to getting my HOTUS bought and setup yet.   Also, are american planes still as bad as they used to be?

I grinded to r20 american  prior to the wipe, and a few weeks after the wipe(first player both times to hit r20 for american) but after they nerfed the bombers due to me, nerfed the p47 and F6F(granted, rockets needed a nerf since I was pulling 70 out of 80 ground targets per match in 2 minutes) due to me, I kinda got frustrated and quit.   Are american planes still very bleh?

Couldn't really tell you much about the American planes, don't fly them enough.

but from what ive seen, the p-40 is a beast, the rest of the USAAC planes seem to pack a punch but cant maneuver.

the navy planes are a bit better when it comes to maneuverability, but i don't know much else about them.

Link Posted: 3/1/2013 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't played it in months, but I had a whole lot of fun flying the CR.42 and laying waste to fools in much higher ranking(and much heavier) aircraft.

Have they expanded on the "historical battles" yet? I don't care for the arcade mode.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I haven't played it in months, but I had a whole lot of fun flying the CR.42 and laying waste to fools in much higher ranking(and much heavier) aircraft.

Have they expanded on the "historical battles" yet? I don't care for the arcade mode.

Honestly couldn't tell you, I mostly stick to arcade.

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Downloaded it and tried it out tonight.  Seems pretty fun, at least on easy.  And, I've only done a couple missions, have yet to jump into the PvP fray.  It looks great!  I tried to get into World Of Tanks, but got frustrated spending 30 minutes carefully working my way towards the fight to get one shotted by some bad-ass player.    I usually do much better in aircraft!  I was waiting for World of Warplanes, but this looks like it might be as good or better, especially if they do get land and sea combat added in.

Anyway, dunno how often I'll be online, but I am Kamicosmos on there....

(I really liked how the game saw my specific joystick (Logitch Attack 3) and modified the tutorials to include it's actual button mappings!  Very slick!)
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Downloaded it and tried it out tonight.  Seems pretty fun, at least on easy.  And, I've only done a couple missions, have yet to jump into the PvP fray.  It looks great!  I tried to get into World Of Tanks, but got frustrated spending 30 minutes carefully working my way towards the fight to get one shotted by some bad-ass player.    I usually do much better in aircraft!  I was waiting for World of Warplanes, but this looks like it might be as good or better, especially if they do get land and sea combat added in.

(I really liked how the game saw my specific joystick (Logitch Attack 3) and modified the tutorials to include it's actual button mappings!  Very slick!)

Using a joystick?

you poor, poor, new player (only if you ever play arcade).

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Using a joystick?

Of course I use a joystick...it's a flight sim, right?  And yeah, so far just arcade mode.  Is keyboard/mouse mobetta?  I don't know if the hardcore flightsim junkie in me could pilot a Warbird with keyboard and mouse....
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Using a joystick?

Of course I use a joystick...it's a flight sim, right?  And yeah, so far just arcade mode.  Is keyboard/mouse mobetta?  I don't know if the hardcore flightsim junkie in me could pilot a Warbird with keyboard and mouse....

In arcade the mouse/keyboard are much smoother than the joystick.

I always thought people were bullshitting me when they told me that, then i finally tried out the mouse/keyboard and have stuck with it ever since.

Link Posted: 3/12/2013 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#19]
This game is fun, even though I cant hit a damn thing.

scott
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I am downloading it now. I figure I might as well give it a go!
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I really suck at this!  Sad considering how many hours I have in various flight games, and heck....I am even a real life Private Pilot!

But, I'll get there.  It is a fun game.  No crashes, games are quick to enter, matches don't take terribly long, great for a fast CAP fix!

It is beta though.  Hopefully they will change a few obvious errors, like Armored Car shot down by....uh....Shot Down?

And, it seems like my USA XP is nerfed.  Bulk of my playing time is as a US pilot.  To see if I did better with the other planes I played a couple matches on each other country.  They are all now higher than my USA XP?!  Maybe you get a boost the first couple times or something?
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#22]
How are the Full Realism flight models?  I have no interest in the arcade side.

Any PTO carrier gameplay yet?  Or CBI theater?
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 2:39:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Both historic battle and full battle offer zero respawns. Full battle goes all out and you are stuck in the cockpit the entire time. All other views are removed. The flight characteristics are also much more realistic. You can overspeed the aircraft causing damage, spin it, etc...
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both historic battle and full battle offer zero respawns. Full battle goes all out and you are stuck in the cockpit the entire time. All other views are removed. The flight characteristics are also much more realistic. You can overspeed the aircraft causing damage, spin it, etc...

Are the full real flight and engine models as complex as IL-2 or are they simplified?  Prop pitch / mixture / radiator / supercharger management, flaps, trim, etc...?

I'm a super-serious WWII prop sim junkie and for me, IL-2 is still the gold standard in a lot of ways...  tough for me to ratchet down from that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't know anything about IL2
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't played recently but the historical battle mode did have the more complicated engine controls and you were locked to the cockpit(a good thing).

It was also annoying to start out on some of the biplanes that don't have adjustable trim.

The flight model is a different story though; a lot of complaints about this plane or that plane not performing properly and I'm not sure if everything is hashed out yet.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#27]
So, patch 1.29 yesterday.
What does everyone think about it?
(Patch notes)

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/22418-war-thunder-update-129/#entry241604

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Think the new patch is alright.
Should make this the official thread, maybe an AR15 clan for war thunder.
Anybody who wants to get in, good time right now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I haven't played recently but the historical battle mode did have the more complicated engine controls and you were locked to the cockpit(a good thing).

It was also annoying to start out on some of the biplanes that don't have adjustable trim.

The flight model is a different story though; a lot of complaints about this plane or that plane not performing properly and I'm not sure if everything is hashed out yet.

Favorite Plane Bitching is pretty much a staple of any WWII combat flight sim.  Usually it's Luftwaffe fanbois griping that the Bf-109 and Fw-190 don't meet exact obscure specs for some exact obscure test document (only available in German), or complaining the Russian planes are way overblown.

And then everybody complains that the planes from the developer's country are "favored".

It's part of the culture.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

and they finally have US servers up

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

and they finally have US servers up

I think I will make this the official war thunder thread. I haven't been playing as of late due to real life things.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Just started playing this week. So far i like it. I suck, but it's enjoyable. I'm swingr1121 in game
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Man, did they nerf the start Russian planes up elevator?  Very hard to pull up, and if I was in a dive, no elevator control at all!  I slammed into the ground twice before quitting.  I played 3 matches before that one (German, Jap, Brit) and the planes were just fine....?
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been getting raped in my German planes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Man, did they nerf the start Russian planes up elevator?  Very hard to pull up, and if I was in a dive, no elevator control at all!  I slammed into the ground twice before quitting.  I played 3 matches before that one (German, Jap, Brit) and the planes were just fine....?

Probably did with all the complaints of the Russians being too OP and perfect.
Personally I hate the Brit's planes, they seem just too OP.
I just stick to US, Japan, and Germany.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 4:05:14 AM EDT
[#36]

For today, we're flying heavily armed Ponies  

Link Posted: 4/6/2013 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I really hope they fix the joystick support in this game, it is so difficult to aim in the current configuration.

I refuse to play a flight game with a mouse, even if it is the preferred method from the developers...

Link Posted: 4/10/2013 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm dl'ing this game right now.  I got sick of the horrid lag in WoT and uninstalled.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I love this game.  I play a few games a day, more on the weekends.

So much damn fun.  Best way play although not realistic, control wise, is the mouse aim control setup.

TIP: Best fastest and a very fun way to gain XP is to just fly with the Russian Reserves and tier 1 planes.  They wipe the floors with all other countries reserve planes.  Then go out and buy higher tier planes after building up XP.

See ya in the skies
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Ok, wtf am I doing wrong? Started the game, bought the FW190D13 starter pack, finally figured out to get that in my hangar, and now I sit for minutes (up to 10 once) waiting for a match, but I guess since I have a level or whatever 14 plane with a couple of reserves the game doesn't choose me? If that's the case, this game is fucked from the beginning. I can't use the fucking plane I just bought?

Someone please tell me I'm stupid and missing something.

Otherwise, I like the game. Grind seems pretty rough, though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 1:45:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Ok, wtf am I doing wrong? Started the game, bought the FW190D13 starter pack, finally figured out to get that in my hangar, and now I sit for minutes (up to 10 once) waiting for a match, but I guess since I have a level or whatever 14 plane with a couple of reserves the game doesn't choose me? If that's the case, this game is fucked from the beginning. I can't use the fucking plane I just bought?

if you're trying to get into historical or full-real battles then it usually takes a while

if its arcade that you're trying to get into then the reserve planes shouldn't matter since the match its only based on the level of your highest plane.

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Also, check out what server set you're trying to join.  If you select all you will typically get quicker selection rather than just a single country

Link Posted: 4/29/2013 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#43]

MUST HAVE THIS
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Does the B25 yaw to the right for anyone else? I couldn't even take off on a "free flight". I don't know if it's a glitch or what. Trim isn't the issue.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Ok, been playing a bit this weekend and managed to get four countries up to level 5.  How do I purchase some of the alternate bomb/rocket load outs?  Do you have to have a certain amount of xp per plane?  I can purchase some of the grayed out options and select them on some planes, but others are grayed out but not purchasable or selectable.  For example, I think my PE3 has the option for several bomb load outs and rockets.  I can see them, but not buy or load them while I can on my P40 and F4F-3.

Help.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does the B25 yaw to the right for anyone else? I couldn't even take off on a "free flight". I don't know if it's a glitch or what. Trim isn't the issue.

Both engines may be started, but are you actually throttling both up?
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assume so, but since there isn't a cockpit view I can't see the gauges.  The A-26 works just fine though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I have been getting this issue lately too, and not sure why. The B-25 has a few glitches since the last patch though (ie donuts on the runway). I think they are all connected somehow.

Link Posted: 4/29/2013 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assume so, but since there isn't a cockpit view I can't see the gauges.  The A-26 works just fine though.

Yeah, if you're not getting it with other multi-engine planes, it's probably worth submitting a bug to the devs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Ok, been playing a bit this weekend and managed to get four countries up to level 5.  How do I purchase some of the alternate bomb/rocket load outs?  Do you have to have a certain amount of xp per plane?  I can purchase some of the grayed out options and select them on some planes, but others are grayed out but not purchasable or selectable.  For example, I think my PE3 has the option for several bomb load outs and rockets.  I can see them, but not buy or load them while I can on my P40 and F4F-3.

Help.

yeah, you need to have reached a certain amount of xp with the plane to unlock each module and armament.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top