Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#1]
For someone without the game & no ability to get it, can someone post the entire plot/synopsis?

I played the first two, but want to know how the story finishes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
its 300 years later. not much of a real "continuation". its an MMO based during a war between the Sith and the Jedi.

I haven't played in the last month, but i think i'm gonna pick it up again.. mostly because i was just automatically resubbed for 3 months.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
The story starts over 300 years after the first two.  There is a TON of back fill of course.. i.e. Taris is still in the destroyed state etc.  The story is now about a new galactic war that is in somewhat 'cold war' status.  One thing is that each class has a different story that takes them from 1 to 50. They all fit into the over all story line but are each unique.  

Some of the recent changes to the game, including pvp changes and new FP/Ops have really improved things also.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jtzako:
The story is now about a new galactic war that is in somewhat 'cold war' status.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Does any one have one of the friend trial invites i could use?

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#6]
If you cant find a friend code you can wait for their periodic weekend passes.  Those are 'free' to try and you can usually download the client late in the week and login for 3 or 4 days over that weekend.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 5:23:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone here play on Jedi Covenent? I just came back after a 2 month break and started from scratch on that server (my old server is like a ghost town).
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By slick556:
Does anyone here play on Jedi Covenent? I just came back after a 2 month break and started from scratch on that server (my old server is like a ghost town).

My server is a ghost town as well. I'm going to move my account over to the American servers and one one that is heavily populated when the nest patch update comes out.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Everyone that's considering moving servers just head over to Wall of Light, we're on the good guys' team over there (Empire).
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SniperKage:
Everyone that's considering moving servers just head over to Wall of Light, we're on the good guys' team over there (Empire).

Cool I got a lv50 sith sorcerer and a lv50 marauder. I'll move them on over. They also got mostly champion gear. My sorc is set up for DPS.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By The_Evil_One:

Cool I got a lv50 sith sorcerer and a lv50 marauder. I'll move them on over. They also got mostly champion gear. My sorc is set up for DPS.

Did they start the character transfers? I need to move a 44 juggernaut.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Nope. Next big update they said.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Nope. Next big update they said.

That works. Don't guess anyone's said when 1.3 comes out? I haven't heard anything.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Look at some of the stuff we get to look forward to.

Hk-51!! WOO!!!

Link Posted: 6/10/2012 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Some SWTOR funnies, courtesy of http://www.cad-comic.com/

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 1:58:26 AM EDT
[#16]
The legacy armor is awesome. I finally got a set for my sith warrior jug I'm working on and it's great.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 3:56:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone else get the referral speeder today? The thing is bad ass. It's a level 1 speeder with level 3 stats, so we can use it at level 10 if you've unlocked that legacy perk.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 5:57:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone else get the referral speeder today? The thing is bad ass. It's a level 1 speeder with level 3 stats, so we can use it at level 10 if you've unlocked that legacy perk.

I'm trying to get one but I need to invite someone and they need to play a 30 day sub for me to get one. I really want the speeder real bad though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone else on Jedi Covenent server?  Character name is Deadeye'fel
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I haven't played in many months and have just resubscribed. I'm a level 14 or so (I think) smuggler. Any ideas what server I should transfer into? Mine was Dreshdae Cantina and it was dead back when I had to quit.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#21]
You only have 1 choice to transfer to.  Unless you just start from scratch.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By metalsaber:

Last time I checked you couldn't transfer from Dreshdae anymore. I have 4 toons there and can't move them. Bioware royally screwed up the transfer system. The destination servers are crammed full and lag on the fleet is impossible to work through.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Well I was able to transfer my only character to shadowlands from deshdae. I was apparently a level 28 smuggler when I quit in January, ha.

Anyway, I'm Jorrann on shadowlands if anyone wants to say hi.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 6:29:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Last time I checked you couldn't transfer from Dreshdae anymore. I have 4 toons there and can't move them. Bioware royally screwed up the transfer system. The destination servers are crammed full and lag on the fleet is impossible to work through.

Try lowering the number of visible characters that show up. I did that and it helps significantly.
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Try lowering the number of visible characters that show up. I did that and it helps significantly.

What they need is a way to lower the number of visible idiots.
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#26]

What they need is a way to lower the number of visible idiots.

Chaos Theory: The Secret World's single-server tech

Something went missing during this month's launch of The Secret World.
Do you know what it was? No, snarkonauts, it wasn't "fun." The game is
certainly an acquired taste, but it's nonetheless doing pretty well for
itself in terms of word-of-mouth and happy early adopters.

No, what was missing was a parade of lengthy launch-week queues (and QQs
for that matter). I've been present for every AAA MMO kickoff since Star Wars Galaxies in 2003, and The Secret World marks the first time I've been able to log in when (and where) I wanted to log in on day one.

RIFT, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Aion, Lord of the Rings Online
–– all of these were "polished" launches by most accounts, and yet all
of them featured horrendous launch queues that often stretched from
minutes to hours. Why was The Secret World so different?

The real answer is something called single-server tech, and it's tech that's worth watching as it makes its way from TSW to Age of Conan and hopefully on to other companies and games across the industry.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/19/chaos-theory-the-secret-worlds-single-server-tech/

BLOG: Single Server Technology in The Secret World

It's time for another blog post, where I'd like to focus on some of the awesome things you might not know about The Secret World. This post is the first one in a series of three, and today I'll talk about what it actually means for you, as a player, that The Secret World is based on a single server technology. The next posts will be about GUI modding (yeah, that's right!) and the last one about the mind blowing rendering features we've put into the game.

So what does it mean that The Secret World is based on a single server. It boils down to that there are no boundaries between you and anyone else playing the game. You can play with anyone you want! Before we go deeper into details, I'd like to clarify a couple of definitions to make explaining this a bit easier.

The Secret World exists on one server, and on that server there are multiple dimensions.

One server, many dimensions. That’s important to remember.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/blog_single_server_technology_in_the_secret_world

Link Posted: 8/2/2012 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#27]
SWTOR is going free to play up to 50 but with restrictions on ops and WZs.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:

6 months after launch. This game will be on life support by years end. I'm still holding out a faint hope for a X-wing/Tie MMO or a reboot of SWG. The SWG Devs lost sight of the fact that thousands of players logging on and not doing combat was not a bad thing. It was easily the most social MMO I've ever played. I could spend a couple hours at a time visiting player cities and doing city/guild events. If they had only kept the graphics updated rather then adding in crap extra content like that card game.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#29]

6 months after launch. This game will be on life support by years end. I'm still holding out a faint hope for a X-wing/Tie MMO or a reboot of SWG. The SWG Devs lost sight of the fact that thousands of players logging on and not doing combat was not a bad thing. It was easily the most social MMO I've ever played. I could spend a couple hours at a time visiting player cities and doing city/guild events. If they had only kept the graphics updated rather then adding in crap extra content like that card game.

Never played SWG. I'm still playing SWTOR and will have to continue to pay because all I do is PVP.

Link Posted: 8/2/2012 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks like I get to reinstall in shortly.

Link Posted: 8/2/2012 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Star Trek Online was in worse shape and things have improved notably after F2P.  F2P is the future.  In economic terms, I think subscription games were mostly a kind of economic rent that early entrants into the market were able to extract.  It's like the first oil producers.  You got to sell to everyone for a huge profit.  Once more people enter the market you have to adjust your prices downwards.  Giants like WoW and niche games like EvE will be the only subscription games in the future.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2012 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#32]
sucks that I payed for the game.

Link Posted: 8/2/2012 5:59:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: happycynic] [#33]
Will someone explain to me what Ops, Warzones, and Flashpoints are?  Those seem to be the primary limitations.

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Link Posted: 8/2/2012 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By happycynic:
Will someone explain to me what Ops, Warzones, and Flashpoints are?  Those seem to be the primary limitations.

Flashpoints are individual group missions that you receive (if Republic anyway) through the Republic Fleet. At least on lower levels. They are missions outside of the story arcs that are usually repeatable.

I don't know what the other two are. I'm only a level 31 Smuggler who barely plays (time constraints and no one will group with me, ha).
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By 103:

Flashpoints are individual group missions that you receive (if Republic anyway) through the Republic Fleet. At least on lower levels. They are missions outside of the story arcs that are usually repeatable.

I don't know what the other two are. I'm only a level 31 Smuggler who barely plays (time constraints and no one will group with me, ha).

Operations are the "raids" of The Old Republic. They also help to drive the story of the game. And they are where you go to get the endgame armor. Warzones are the PvP playfields.

Link Posted: 8/2/2012 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 103:

I wouldnt agree that Flashpoints are missions outside of the story arcs. There are questlines that ultimatly lead you to a Flashpoint. And on the Empire side the first flashpoint is Black Talon and you really need to do it to progress.

Happy if you are at all familiar with WoW
Flashpoint = Dungeon
Ops= Raid
Warzone = Matchmade PVP
Link Posted: 8/4/2012 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#37]

I liked taking bounties out on players... nothing like camping outside their home and as they step out, ambush them and talk all kinds of crap...... man SWG was fun.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#38]
its still meh, i preorderd and played the prelaunch wasn't impressed and never used my key till this weekend and i was bored its not bad but im not hooked on it either.

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Welp.  Bought a copy and tried to play it.  Crashes 30 seconds into gameplay.  We'll see if their customer support is worth a crap.

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 4:57:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadeye675] [#40]
Got to Terror from beyond in story mode tonight. just ran out of time and people had to go....one shotted all the bosses until the TFB. We wernt expecting it to be this easy so we didnt schedule enough time to get all the way through. We were just gonna work on progression.

that last fight was cool with all the little accelerators that shuffle you from platform to platform.

Anyone here still playing the game?
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Yup still playing and loving it.  TFB is pretty awesome and their best OP to date.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm waiting for a detailed list of what you get in F2P.

Oh, also, Anarchy Online is getting a graphic upgrade to the new engine the Funcom is using.

That makes going back to SWTOR less likely.

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Im pretty sure they have already said the F2P will not have access to Flashpoints, Ops, and rated PVP.

AKA

No Point.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By Deadeye675:

Im pretty sure they have already said the F2P will not have access to Flashpoints, Ops, and rated PVP.

AKA

No Point.

Not a very good F2P model IMHO.  This one seems based on luring people into become subscribers rather than offers a true F2P option.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#45]

AKA

No Point.

Not a very good F2P model IMHO.  This one seems based on luring people into become subscribers rather than offers a true F2P option.  

I believe that is their model yes.

Link Posted: 4/9/2013 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#46]
this game is as dead as this thread
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#47]

Yeah, I have heard they even managed to screw up free to play.

Link Posted: 4/9/2013 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:

well to be honest i dont really understand the f2p shit. I mean its a business, how do you make money by giving it away? are there in game ads for the f2per's?
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:

well to be honest i dont really understand the f2p shit. I mean its a business, how do you make money by giving it away? are there in game ads for the f2per's?

They use f2p to lure you in to playing the game. Once there, you need to spend money to get the cool things, or spend money to get a monthly subscription or whatever it is you want to get access to all the cool stuff.

Link Posted: 4/10/2013 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#50]
its pretty busy on my server and the guild im in.  Still enjoying it
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top