BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 77
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By agillig:

I expected.  Is leveling up a grind?  What about random battles on the world map?  Is that still a thing in RPG's?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:
Originally Posted By GLHX2112:
So, they are going to remaster Skyrim and release it for the new game systems.... I can finally upgrade from my 360 to an Xbox One.

I'm getting a little burnt out on FPS games.  I used to enjoy RPG's, but haven't played one in a decade or so.  What am I in for if I take the plunge on the remaster?

A lot of time.

I expected.  Is leveling up a grind?  What about random battles on the world map?  Is that still a thing in RPG's?

Leveling up is different.  When you use a particular skill, it will improve over time rather than leveling up and choosing the skill to improve.

Leveling up

Random battles? Youll come across different sides throughout the map. Some do battle.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 1:48:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Translation: All your mods are fucked.

Wonder if I have to buy an entirely new graphics card for this?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Just a few more days . Haven't played in over a year but looking forward to the remaster.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Almost done with a complete Morrowind play through, then onto modding the hell outta Oblivion.   Skyrim to follow
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:23:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spade] [#6]
Anybody hear anything more about mods for PCs for Special Edition vs vanilla?

I'm more wondering about my non-graphics mods (I assume graphics mods are borked because that's what they upgraded), so I'm wondering more about my atmosphere and add-ons. I like my cloaks, iNeed, added birds, holidays, and shooting stars and shit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Spade:

I'm more wondering about my non-graphics mods (I assume graphics mods are borked because that's what they upgraded), so I'm wondering more about my atmosphere and add-ons. I like my cloaks, iNeed, added birds, holidays, and shooting stars and shit.
View Quote

Modders are working on it. A select few were selected by Bethesda for a closed beta of the CK, but the release date of the CK is currently unknown. Frostfall may be available soonish. Anything requiring SKSE (SkyUI, MCM, etc) is fucked until the SKSE team gets everything working on the new 64 bit engine. Apparently the FO4SE is nowhere near as complete as the skyrim version, so that may be a large problem if they can't extend the scripting engine as far as necessary.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:11:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#8]
Originally Posted By Keymaster4225:

Modders are working on it. A select few were selected by Bethesda for a closed beta of the CK, but the release date of the CK is currently unknown. Frostfall may be available soonish. Anything requiring SKSE (SkyUI, MCM, etc) is fucked until the SKSE team gets everything working on the new 64 bit engine. Apparently the FO4SE is nowhere near as complete as the skyrim version, so that may be a large problem if they can't extend the scripting engine as far as necessary.
View All Quotes

That worries me.  I mean, the change to 64bit needed to happen sometime, but with the game being this old I bet half the modders won't bother to come back to fix their mods for the new version.  A lot of the best mods out there haven't had updates or new versions since 2013 or 2014.  I doubt many of those guys will be coming back to make them work, unless it's just a 1 button fix or something.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Back on the Skyrim Wagon. Waiting for the 542mb update to download on my PS4. We'll see if my nostalgia for this game was worth the money. The modding situation sucks but since I didn't do that on PC, I don't see why I would on PS4.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:59:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll be picking up the steelbook edition from Best Buy in a few hours.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:

That worries me.  I mean, the change to 64bit needed to happen sometime, but with the game being this old I bet half the modders won't bother to come back to fix their mods for the new version.  A lot of the best mods out there haven't had updates or new versions since 2013 or 2014.  I doubt many of those guys will be coming back to make them work, unless it's just a 1 button fix or something.
View All Quotes

There's this from Gopher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Gk1yTQ_Lc

Some of my favorites (Frostfall for example) are already up for consoles.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

All the info you need

You'd be really surprised how many mod authors are already working on getting things working. The biggest problem is going to be SKSE, but they've started working on it. No timeframe.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:26:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spade] [#13]
SKSE is apparently being worked on for Special Ed, but the SkyUI lead said they're not doing anything.

Rumor has it that it ports just fine though, just gives warnings that SKSE isn't running. I opened up Special Edition last night and was suddenly reminded how terrible the vanilla UI is.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#14]
SKSE is apparently being worked on for Special Ed, but the SkyUI lead said they're not doing anything.

Rumor has it that it ports just fine though, just gives warnings that SKSE isn't running. I opened up Special Edition last night and was suddenly reminded how terrible the vanilla UI is.
View Quote

What is SKSE? I'm playing on console, so don't know if it affects me or not.

By the way, I forgot I have to save, and save often. Nothing like running from a town into 3 death hounds at level 7 and puts you back to 3 missions ago because you didn't save
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Lowly console peasant here but holy shit does this game load fast now.  I used to dread load screens especially back out into the open world.  Im already up to level 25 and average loads are sub 3 seconds.  I wish all Beth. games could load this fast (and reliably).
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ws450r:

By the way, I forgot I have to save, and save often. Nothing like running from a town into 3 death hounds at level 7 and puts you back to 3 missions ago because you didn't save
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ws450r:

SKSE allows the game to run extra scripts.  Basically it lets modders do a lot more with their mods - new quests and so on.  It won't ever be available to console users, as far as I'm aware.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Little off topic but didn't want to start another Skyrim thread

Played Skyrim for about a month on XB360 way back and am looking to get back into an action/RPG game again.

From those that have played both, should I pickup Skyrim again or is Witcher 3 in the same vein yet better.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 5:06:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#18]
Originally Posted By WrenchBender:

Played Skyrim for about a month on XB360 way back and am looking to get back into an action/RPG game again.

From those that have played both, should I pickup Skyrim again or is Witcher 3 in the same vein yet better.
View Quote

They are kinda different.  On the surface both are similar - big open world fantasy RPGs that have lots of sidequests.  Skyrim is less structured and more open.  It's more of a giant open sandbox.  It's significantly more moddable than TW3, at least on PC.

Witcher 3 is 3rd person, and while it is still a big open world it is more tightly structured with regard to the story.  The quests and characters are much deeper and more fleshed out.  The story blows Skyrim out of the water.  The graphics are also far better.  The actual mechanics of the game - combat, magic, skill trees, etc, are significantly more complex and the game is more difficult overall.

Objectively, I think Witcher 3 is by far the better game, no contest.  That said, I have a lot more hours sunk into Skyrim, I think because of the sandbox nature of the game and the lack of structure which makes it not really have an "ending" like TW3 (though you can play both after the main quest ends).  It really depends on what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

I'm playing again after playing it on the 360, and enjoying it so far. I've been trying to play it different than when I played it originally, as far as different character and build, quests, ect. I guess in the end it's up to you and if it's worth $60, but Destiny was starting to grind, and I needed something to play since I didn't get BF1.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool. I appreciate the opinions. What I liked about skyrim was the ability to play it differently. ..tank, assassin, mage.  From my research it looks like witcher is straight hack/slash/magic.  

Fair interpretation?
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 6:07:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#21]
Cool. I appreciate the opinions. What I liked about skyrim was the ability to play it differently. ..tank, assassin, mage.  From my research it looks like witcher is straight hack/slash/magic.  

Fair interpretation?
View Quote

Basically, yeah.  You can have different ways of doing it in TW3 - you can be more about heavy armor and melee, or more about magic and speed, or quick high DPS in-and-out fighting style or what have you, but there is a lot less variety.  Geralt is an established character with a backstory, personality, and a certain canon skillset - he's a guy that hunts monsters, with a sword, for pay.  There's room for a little bit of customization, but there are limits.  He's not a ninja or a knight or an archer.  It's not blank slate like Skyrim.  Going with an established character helps the story to be significantly better and tighter in TW3, but you don't have the same choice level.  You lose some width in exchange for more depth.

You should play both, honestly.  Both are game of the year titles in their own right.  And if you've already played Skyrim some, I'd almost recommend TW3 just so you can compare them yourself.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I appreciate the advise.  Ill prob go grab the witcher 3 goty edition then and check it out.  Skyrim isn't going anywhere and if im gonna drop $50 I might as well get true next gen game.

Link Posted: 11/10/2016 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Basically, yeah.  You can have different ways of doing it in TW3 - you can be more about heavy armor and melee, or more about magic and speed, or quick high DPS in-and-out fighting style or what have you, but there is a lot less variety.  Geralt is an established character with a backstory, personality, and a certain canon skillset - he's a guy that hunts monsters, with a sword, for pay.  There's room for a little bit of customization, but there are limits.  He's not a ninja or a knight or an archer.  It's not blank slate like Skyrim.  Going with an established character helps the story to be significantly better and tighter in TW3, but you don't have the same choice level.  You lose some width in exchange for more depth.

You should play both, honestly.  Both are game of the year titles in their own right.  And if you've already played Skyrim some, I'd almost recommend TW3 just so you can compare them yourself.
View All Quotes

Fair interpretation?

Well, to be fair, in some portions of TW3, you play as his smoking hot, bisexual, "Fuck reality with my superpowers", adopted daughter, Ciri.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Headless_Ned:

Well, to be fair, in some portions of TW3, you play as his smoking hot, bisexual, "Fuck reality with my superpowers", adopted daughter, Ciri.
View All Quotes

Fair interpretation?

Witcher 3 is the best game I have played in a long time.  The story/backstory and overall depth to the characters really blow everything else away.  Even the mini-game of Gwent, the card game you play against certain characters or just as a diversion in some pubs, was addictive & great.

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 3:33:51 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Fair interpretation?

She's bi?  Did I miss that in the story?  I never did read the books.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#26]

She's bi?  Did I miss that in the story?  I never did read the books.
View Quote

The first person she made love to was a woman, and really the only person she thought of as a lover.

(Can't remember her name, but the woman was the reason Ciri got a rose tattoo on her thigh.)
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Can someone please explain to me how to use a soul gems to recharge enchanted weapons on the ps4?
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:13:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TakeBackTheFed] [#28]
Originally Posted By jmboom:
Can someone please explain to me how to use a soul gems to recharge enchanted weapons on the ps4?
View Quote

Hit R1 in your inventory, if it's enchanted you'll see the option pop up. A menu will popup where the item stats are to choose which soul gem, hit X to select or O to cancel.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Finally broke down and bought an Xbone.

Then, i found out, game saves from 360 do not transfer to Xbone.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:41:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Disregard above comment. I guess my backwards compatible version, which is now supported as of yesterday, will be able to use game saves from my 360.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Didn't read all of this thread but figured I'd ask a question.

Playing skyrim on xbox one, loving it.  320 hours in.  Level 43.

Doing a quest that asks for different blood..  where in the hell do I get high elf blood?  I've searched every place I looked up online with no luck.

I'd rather not kill nirya in winterhold.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:49:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#33]
Originally Posted By Shagohod:

Doing a quest that asks for different blood..  where in the hell do I get high elf blood?  I've searched every place I looked up online with no luck.

Thanks in advance
View Quote

You can find all the types in the wild, though it can take some time if you just let it happen randomly - bandits and whatnot over time.  I usually just killed a thalmor group traveling on the road, since they are all high elves.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:05:21 AM EDT
[#34]

Thanks in advance
View Quote

Wiki is your friend young padawan.

Seek the answer you shall...

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Thanks in advance
View Quote

Thalmor embassy. I usually kill all of em' I can anyway, fuck the Thalmor.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Any idea when the new mod tools will be out for Slyrim SE?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Any idea when the new mod tools will be out for Slyrim SE?
View Quote

The CK is already out.

BTW, most of the Oldrim mods I have tried via manual install have worked just fine with SE.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:14:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By TheMercenary:

The CK is already out.

BTW, most of the Oldrim mods I have tried via manual install have worked just fine with SE.
View Quote

Too lazy for manual unless it's an especially good one.  NMM or bust.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:06:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheMercenary] [#39]
Too lazy for manual unless it's an especially good one.  NMM or bust.
View Quote

I was referring to manual using NMM...

1.) Go to the desired Oldrim Nexus file.
2.) Click "download manual" and save
2.) Pres the big green (+) on your SE NMM
3.) Select file in your downloads.
4.) Activate like normal
5.) Profit...

It will literally install EXACTLY like you pressed the green install button on a SE file.  You can activate/deactivate or uninstall just like normal... Takes all of 10 seconds.  You can even delete the RAR file from your downloads, as it's stored in your NMM files with all your other mods.

I do agree with true manual installs with loose files
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By TheMercenary:

The CK is already out.

View Quote

I was referring SKSE, for perkus maximus.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

SKSE is in progress, but I wouldn't expect even a basic release for at least several more months. The main dev had a post on reddit recently, and they have a long way to go. Because Beth changed to a 64 bit engine, SKSE has to be rewritten from the ground up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#42]

SKSE is in progress, but I wouldn't expect even a basic release for at least several more months. The main dev had a post on reddit recently, and they have a long way to go. Because Beth changed to a 64 bit engine, SKSE has to be rewritten from the ground up.
View All Quotes

Likewise w/ Perkus Maximus.  Pretty much... its not gonna happen.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

I can't speak for the author of PerMa, but SKSE will be released for SE, just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

SKSE update
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#45]

SKSE update
View All Quotes

SKSE update

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#46]
I hate when you have a misc. quest to tell someone something, but can't because that person died many, many saves ago.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:38:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: metalsaber] [#47]
Been enjoying gaming on the pc after getting a 1080 despite my other older equipment.  I can get just about 60fps in most places at 4K with a lot of graphic mods.  I had to use just a reshader instead of an enb.  Enb just turns my fps to potatoes. 

Wish they would have enabled sli support. 
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm pretty sure the game itself supports SLI/CFX. I was running oldrim on my R9 295x2 with no major issues. Haven't played SE yet, waiting on SKSE and other mods that require it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I just see every forum say it's not enabled.  You can hack to get it to work but the 2nd card gets uses like 5%. 
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Lydia not a happy camper

You old hag.
Page / 77
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top