Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 63
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking into starting this program.  How many days a week are you supposed to do this?  I usually run about 3-4 miles 4 days a week, but my joints are starting to remind me that I'm not 18 anymore.  I'm 35 and in pretty good shape.  How hard are these exercises on your joints?  Is there anything I should know before I start?

It's a 7 day program.  I'd can the running and give this a try.  If you stay true to the exercises, maintain good form, and continuously elevate your level of effort - you will sweat and burn calories like you've never known.  

P90X uses your joints.  All of them.  Take the fit test first to see if your body can handle it.  I have a bad right knee.  I can hang with the program but I have to gimp it on the deep knee lunges and make it up on the intensity.  You just have to be smart about it.  I'm 34 and also (so I incorrectly thought) relatively fit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am looking into starting this program.  How many days a week are you supposed to do this?  I usually run about 3-4 miles 4 days a week, but my joints are starting to remind me that I'm not 18 anymore.  I'm 35 and in pretty good shape.  How hard are these exercises on your joints?  Is there anything I should know before I start?

I run and train for marathons and triathlons.....and average well over 70 miles a week running. Put it simple....it kicked my ass. LOL

Link Posted: 4/20/2009 1:35:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I run and train for marathons and triathlons.....and average well over 70 miles a week running. Put it simple....it kicked my ass. LOL

Marathoners are not in good shape for anything except marathoning. The loss of muscle that results from training for long distance running makes them poor overall athletes. People who train from explosive activities like sprinting are in much better shape.

Marathoner:

Marathoner:

Marathoner:

Marathoner:

Sprinter:

Sprinter:

Sprinter:

Sprinter:

Link Posted: 4/20/2009 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Started today.... WOW, to say the least!

The biggest trouble I had was the ab ripper. I have 5 fused vertebra in my lower back, that makes some of the workouts impossible.  So I hammered out 100 reps on the ab lounge.

Think the ab lounge is a good alternative to some of the workouts I cant do?
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I think most tweak the program a little to accomodate some handicaps, but you'll definately know it if you bring the intensity this program expects.  

On week three now, I've grown to love the burn of it all.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Starting week two today.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I led on that my joints were worse than they actually are.  I don't notice them except after a hard 4 mile run.  Then I notice knees and hips.  Not terrible, but my buddy the quack told me that running is about the hardest thing on a persons body.  I'm starting to believe it.  On a side note, I did my wifes slim six super burn or whatever it's called tonight and while it was a workout, I think I could have it mastered in about a week.  I'm waiting on the p90x that I ordered and figured I just as well be doing something in the mean time.  Does anyone know how they compare?  I'm sure the p90x is tougher, but how much?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 5:29:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I did it for about 25 days but then I got a massive upper respiratory infection mixed with bronchitis. I am just starting to feel better......so I will most likely start back up here real soon. Been down for the count for about a month and a half..... I still have the strength I gained while doing it but I am getting the weight back (I had lost 15lbs) I need to start back up again
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 5:40:16 AM EDT
[#9]
There are a few guys on my dept that are using this program...they all love it.  Can one burn the DVDs or is there an encryption?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#10]
The biggest tip I can give is to maintain good form at all times.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Pylometrics is a killer....
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pylometrics is a killer....

did that last night....those jump switch squat things damn near kill me everytime.... doesn't help that the one - legged dude is out there.... he always guilts me into not quitting the exercise with 2 seconds left on the clock
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#13]
LOL! I know what you mean!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 1:05:53 AM EDT
[#14]
4 days down.

I hate this diet, but im sticking with it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
4 days down.

I hate this diet, but im sticking with it.

If you can rewire your brain for 30 days - you will see incredible results.  Committ to the process.  It's a 90 day marathon.  Nice job so far.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Kenpo X today. Hellova workout, but pretty fun..
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 11:55:19 PM EDT
[#17]
1 week down
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Starting week 3.  

I jumped into this after doing nothing for months.  During week 1 my recovery time was abysmal.  I couldn't move the following day after a hard workout.  My recovery time has now been reduced significantly as my body is getting used to putting in a workout every day.  On the "muscle" workouts I try to bring it each day and things are going along nicely.  I can hang for about 85% or more of the ab-ripper.  I still have to pause it occasionally and slow the pace so I get my 25 reps in for each exercise.  Cardio has always been my strong suit.  I can pretty much hang for 95%+ of the Plyo and Kenpo.  Yoga is a different story.  I suck...but I am working at it.

I am sticking to the diet about 75% of the time.  After two weeks I have dropped about 4-5 pounds.  I "feel" stronger/tighter and have more energy in the mornings.  I do notice a small bit of definition under my biceps that I didn't have before but other than that I don't see too much difference in my appearance yet.

Things are moving along.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Seems the big changes, based on the testimonials I've seen & viewed, happen towards the end of month 2 and into the 3rd.

I'm doing one more week (technically week 4) then doing a recovery week.  I'm starting to notice a great deal of difference in my upper body work outs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I just found this and am probably going to order p90x.  What do you all like and use in the way of after work out drinks and supplement shakes?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just found this and am probably going to order p90x.  What do you all like and use in the way of after work out drinks and supplement shakes?

They try to sell you on all of their stuff, but you dont need it.

The first stage requires alot of protein intake, so I just use some Costco EAS powder to help with that. I take my normal daily multivitamin that I always have taken. As for the recovery drink, I just use chocolate milk. It has the 4-1 carb/protein ratio, its cheap, and alot of people use it.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#22]
So chocolate milk for after work out.  How much do you usually drink?

Whey protein I've heard is something to get as well.  What multivitamins should I look at as well?  Specifically who makes them?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm drinking a Whey protien concoction (not P90X brand) and take my multi-vitamin every day.  Beyond that, I'll occasionally down a Power-Ade or something similar, and drink lots of water.  LOTS of water.

Water also fills your gut so you're not so hungry all the time.  It works well.  I was a 34 waist 4 weeks ago, now I'm at a 33.  I bet I'll be a 32 before the end of May.  Amazing program.  I love it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I also am taking a multivitamin and this whey protein mix:  100% Whey Protein - Gold Standard
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Ouch.

Ab Ripper....just....ouch.

Destroyed the Shoulders and Arms workout last night.  It's my favorite by far.  Today is YogaX.  Strangely, and I never thought I'd say this...but I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I just want to encourage others using this program to keep posting.  I plan to come on here and vent a little too.  I like to hear how others are doing and ask questions.  Keep it going.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm starting day one today,  I've been doing my wifes workout video for about two weeks while I waited for this to get here and it did today.  So, I'm pretty excited and really looking forward to seeing some changes.  What changes have you all seen?  I'm 6'2 and 215 right now.  I'd like to be just under 200lbs. I plan on sticking to this pretty strict.  We've changed our diets in the last two weeks to cut the junk out.  I really didn't realize how unhealthy I was eating until I started paying attn.  I also started paying attn. to the amount of calories I took in,  I've overdone it a little the past couple of weeks.  I read the fitness guide and part of the diet plan and realize I need about 3000 calories.  I've only been taking in about 1600.  No wonder I've been a little grouchy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm starting day one today,  I've been doing my wifes workout video for about two weeks while I waited for this to get here and it did today.  So, I'm pretty excited and really looking forward to seeing some changes.  What changes have you all seen?  I'm 6'2 and 210 right now.  I'd like to be just under 200lbs. I plan on sticking to this pretty strict.  We've changed our diets in the last two weeks to cut the junk out.  I really didn't realize how unhealthy I was eating until I started paying attn.  I also started paying attn. to the amount of calories I took in,  I've overdone it a little the past couple of weeks.  I read the fitness guide and part of the diet plan and realize I need about 3000 calories.  I've only been taking in about 1600.  No wonder I've been a little grouchy.

If you stick with it you will blow threw 200lbs and head for the mid 180's or low 190's.

I went from 195lbs to 162lbs and I have kept the weight off. I finished the program in late December and I haven't had much exercise since the latest baby was born a few months ago, but I still feel good and the weight has not come back. I have a thread with pics somewhere in the forum.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#29]
If I can blow through 200 I would be tickled.  Two years ago I ran 10k's and I never got below 195.  If I could beat that I would be pretty darn happy.  We'll just have to see.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Started it with my wife 2 weeks ago, but have been out of it for a week. Need to get some more weights to be able to do everything.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If I can blow through 200 I would be tickled.  Two years ago I ran 10k's and I never got below 195.  If I could beat that I would be pretty darn happy.  We'll just have to see.

It's amazing - check out the nutritional guide and match up your calories to what you actually eat in a day's time.  Map it out, you'll be amazed at what happens when you control your intake and sink yourself into an exercise regiment.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Started it with my wife 2 weeks ago, but have been out of it for a week. Need to get some more weights to be able to do everything.

Get some weights then!  You didn't pay $140 for nothin'!  Tony Horton is gonna Karen Pot Stir your face in if he finds out you're slackin'
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Ya, i already need to get some new heavier weights.  I really like the phase II bicep workout.  I sadly admit that i have yet to do the yoga and im already in the week 6.  My gf and I use it as a date night and relax.  We sometimes do the cardio X though on thursdays. We are working hard but figure the first 90 days are just to get going.  The next 90 we will follow the diet and do yoga as well.  I havent change my diet much and i eat a bunch of crap, but I can still see a difference.  I could only imagine if I really dieted with this program.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but P90X is an 'overhaul' program.  Right across the board.  That said, I can say I'm doing this at 85-90% myself....the diet being 15% crutch....I cut out all the crap, but I'm not monitoring my exact calorie intake either.  My diet "accuracy" is more common sense now than a strict monitoring.  What a difference still.  Meaning I eat yogurt and granola for breakfast offset with a day of turkey bacon and/or an omelette, protein bar for lunch with a piece of fruit for a snack.  Dinner is something sensible with portion control.  That's pretty much it for me outside the whey drink and a multivitamin.  Occasionally I'll go batshit crazy and eat a couple handfuls of yogurt covered raisins.  I don't skimp on the coffee though - I like my 1-2 mediums a day....milk though, no cream.

I'm right on the work outs though save KenpoX.  I admit to substituting the shoulders and arms workout into that one....so I do that program twice a week.  Gotta build the guns!  I lose the calorie burn though of Kenpo.

Give the Yoga an honest try....by yourself so no one can see you look like a chimp doing ballet....lol.....

But gitrdone guys.  You own the program, why not do it in full?  It's only 90 days of pure hell.  I bet if you stick it out by week 3 you'll be so fired up and proud that you stayed true it'd carry through the rest of the program and maybe change your perspective all together.  

Plus, Dreya ain't too bad on the eyes....even though she likely has more testoserone than all of us combined...lol

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Finished day one tonight, that's why I"m dictating this to my 6 yr old.  I can't reach the keyboard.  I asked a week ago how much harder this was than my wifes rip it up program.  Now I know that either nobody had done that girly workout or they didn't want to tell me what a wuss I was then.  This is totally different.  It's not what I expected, but I loved it.  The structure of the workouts is great, the exercises are unique and I think this thing has to work.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Finished day one tonight, that's why I"m dictating this to my 6 yr old.  I can't reach the keyboard.  I asked a week ago how much harder this was than my wifes rip it up program.  Now I know that either nobody had done that girly workout or they didn't want to tell me what a wuss I was then.  This is totally different.  It's not what I expected, but I loved it.  The structure of the workouts is great, the exercises are unique and I think this thing has to work.

It works. Works so good I posted pictures without my shirt on in this forum Not that I have a six pack but the results in 60 - 90 days compared to day 1 were amazing to say the least
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wait till you finish Plyometrics.  You won't be able to lift your leg over the bathtub!  The 2nd day after plyo will hurt more than the previous.  You'll feel better by the end of week 2...or 3...lol....

Do it 110%!!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Did plyo today.  Pretty good workout.  Heartrate around 185 most of the time.   Still thinking this is awesome.  I could hang for about 85% of the workout.  Once in a while I'm just done with 5 secs left.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Did plyo today.  Pretty good workout.  Heartrate around 185 most of the time.   Still thinking this is awesome.  I could hang for about 85% of the workout.  Once in a while I'm just done with 5 secs left.

For your first couple weeks just do what you can.  Tear yourself apart in the 3rd, let the sweat flllllooooooow
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone know how to use that calender?  I didn't see anything in the guide and it's not big enough to write down my reps.  I'm just using it as a checkoff right now.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I used to work out 4-5 days a week, and thought I was in pretty good shape.
Now, not so much.
Lotsa personal stuff kept getting in the way, and I now weigh more than I ever have.
I still have a bit of muscle mass, it's just trying to find it......

Stamina sucks.

I went online Friday and bought the program due to all the comments here.

Time for a kick in the ass.

Edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#42]
You'll get that kick in the ass too.

I just finished week 4.  Tonight I start into phase II.

Went from a 34 waist to a 33/32.  Weighed 197 at the start now I'm 190.  My pushups doubled, my strength doubled, my flexibility is getting better.  Overall my health is improving and I'm so glad to be doing this.  Feels good to feel good.  I'm curling 35 and 40 lbs dumbells through all the bicep work outs now....started with 20 and 25.  Doesn't matter how strong you are to start.  Just do what you can, record it, and improve as you go.

Turnkey fitness program in a box.  I love it.  It all still comes from within, so as many times as you'll hear "Bring it."  They really mean.  You have to bring it if you want results.  You can push play, but it's your sweat, your blood, and your tears that'll get you there.

I bet for all the testimonials of flabby bastards gone totally fit...there's a bunch who did something in between nothing and something.  As for me, I'm going for it as is my wife.  Hope my enthusiasm rubs off on some of yall.  

As for the worksheet, I made my own based on the worksheet.  Easier that way.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Oh my....

Phase II.  Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps.....

It's like starting out on Day 1 all over again - my upper body is totally destroyed....in a good way.

They weren't kidding about muscle confusion - mine are downright delirious!  OUCH.

I was so wasted half way through tonight's workout I couldn't do a single one-arm pushup.  Not even one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Oh my....

It's like starting out on Day 1 all over again - my upper body is totally destroyed....in a good way.

They weren't kidding about muscle confusion - mine are downright delirious!  OUCH.

I was so wasted half way through tonight's workout I couldn't do a single one-arm pushup.  Not even one.

Can't wait.  I will be there next week...starting week 4 tonight.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh my....

Can't wait.  I will be there next week...starting week 4 tonight.

I can't move my arms.  I have to throw my forearms up onto the keyboard to type...

What a workout!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Hey, good thread!  I am just starting phase 2 of the program.  I've followed the diet and workout very closely and have seen very good results so far.  Can't wait to see what the next phase brings.  The soreness is almost gone after the workouts now, and my recovery time is much better.  I hate it, but I love it!

Too bad you can't subscribe to this thread?  Is it not possible in this forum?
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#47]
I see online that mine was just delivered.  I think I'm going to go home and hit it tonight.  I'll report.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Week #6 and getting diesel.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Took my pics tonight.  I know I didn't look great but all the angles and stuff were not flattering...they were fattering.  

That's OK cause I'm feeling it in my back and chest tonight.  Abs really feel it too.  Ab ripper sucked!!!  Do 25 a piece....HA!!!  I did as many as I could and they just gave out.  I think I need to eat more during the day.  I also made the mistake he warned against in the beginning to pace yourself.  Blew myself out in the first set and when he said we're going back through again I was like............

Drank my first protein shake after the work out with some chocolate in it for the sugars.  It was pretty good actually.  I believe it was EAS Whey Protein from Giant.  Also took a multivitamin.  I know I'm going to be feeling it tomorrow.  

I don't feel as bad as I thought I would...but I also was doing weights and stuff before exercising similar muscle groups...just not like that.    

I am psyched.  The wife came in and caught be "bringing it" and I got the look.    I am so sticking with this.

The diet portion I think I did OK on.  I need to plan a little better.  I need to eat more meals and smaller.  At least 300 cals per snack.  According to the thing I am supposed to consume 2800 cals a day.  I am going to shoot lower than that at first cause I am failing to do exercises the entire time so I don't think I'm burning it yet.  But I know I was covered in sweat so I earned dinner.  

I think tomorrow is going to be an egg beaters and veggies with some low fat cheese breakfast.  A protein shake for mid morning snack.  Lunch will be two servings of low fat ham wrapped in lettuce and tomatoes.  Probably need to pick up some more fruit.  A serving of mixed nuts around 1:30 - 2pm.  Workout with day 2 of phase 1 then dinner.  Salmon, wild rice, and some kind of veggie.  

What is your opinion of my meal choices?  Would you change something?

Also my post workout shake is 8oz of skim milk, 2 tablespoons of hershey's syrup, and some whey protein.

What say you Xers?
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Took my pics tonight.  I know I didn't look great but all the angles and stuff were not flattering...they were fattering.  

That's OK cause I'm feeling it in my back and chest tonight.  Abs really feel it too.  Ab ripper sucked!!!  Do 25 a piece....HA!!!  I did as many as I could and they just gave out.  I think I need to eat more during the day.  I also made the mistake he warned against in the beginning to pace yourself.  Blew myself out in the first set and when he said we're going back through again I was like............

Drank my first protein shake after the work out with some chocolate in it for the sugars.  It was pretty good actually.  I believe it was EAS Whey Protein from Giant.  Also took a multivitamin.  I know I'm going to be feeling it tomorrow.  

I don't feel as bad as I thought I would...but I also was doing weights and stuff before exercising similar muscle groups...just not like that.    

I am psyched.  The wife came in and caught be "bringing it" and I got the look.    I am so sticking with this.

The diet portion I think I did OK on.  I need to plan a little better.  I need to eat more meals and smaller.  At least 300 cals per snack.  According to the thing I am supposed to consume 2800 cals a day.  I am going to shoot lower than that at first cause I am failing to do exercises the entire time so I don't think I'm burning it yet.  But I know I was covered in sweat so I earned dinner.  

I think tomorrow is going to be an egg beaters and veggies with some low fat cheese breakfast.  A protein shake for mid morning snack.  Lunch will be two servings of low fat ham wrapped in lettuce and tomatoes.  Probably need to pick up some more fruit.  A serving of mixed nuts around 1:30 - 2pm.  Workout with day 2 of phase 1 then dinner.  Salmon, wild rice, and some kind of veggie.  

What is your opinion of my meal choices?  Would you change something?

Also my post workout shake is 8oz of skim milk, 2 tablespoons of hershey's syrup, and some whey protein.

What say you Xers?

I'm just starting week two, so take my opinions for what they're worth.  The first time through these seem to be the toughest.  Mostly,I think, because you don't know the routines.  I am really looking forward to my workout about halfway through the day.  I didn't think I would after the first ab ripper.  That's the worst 14 minutes of all.  Did kenpo tonight,  it was great.  The 58 minutes just flew by.

I think you're diet choices look pretty good.  Other than I absolutely hate fish.  Makes it a challenge, especially if you're Catholic, like me.  Therefore I only eat fish on fridays....during lent.  I bought the walmart strawberry whey protein recovery drink and actually it's pretty good mixed with a glass of milk.  If you're going to cut calories make sure that you don't cut them so much that you lose energy.  You can really undercut your performance by shorting yourself too much.  You sound like you're just about my size and  I try to take in about 2400 cals/day.  I haven't noticed a crash yet....My wife also has caught me with "THE LOOK" and it makes her laugh to hear me grunting it out.  Small price to pay I think.  We'll see what she thinks in 90 days.   My pics were also worse than I thought they'd be.  I thought I was in pretty good shape, but after seeing myself in pictures I was pretty embarrassed.  Can't wait for the 30-60-90 day pics to see the results.

Keep bringing it and keep pushing play.
Page / 63
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top