Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2017 5:51:18 PM EDT
Just curious, I read a bit about it last night and what people like about.

The idea is, that instead of setting a goal of say 3x8, you set a goal of 24 reps in 3 sets. It sounds like pretty much the same thing, but the idea behind it is you don't have a fixed number in your head when doing a set, so if you have gas in the tank for 10 or 11 reps, that's what you do (not going to actual failure though). If after 3 sets you've hit your goal, you bump the weight next time like normal.

I can see how it might be handy for those days when you just have a bad set, but you still can meet your goal. I can also see how a lot of people would push to failure too often too.

Anyone ever use it? What type of rep goals do you set when you do utilize it?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#1]
3 sets of 10 elicits a different response than 10 sets of 3.

All depends on the goal, while the different methods are endless, there is a general guideline to what stress creates what response, just look at Prilepin's table for a strength example

Attachment Attached File

Then there's stories about some old coach that would program like 4 sets of snatch triples at 85% and then tell you you don't have to do all four sets if you don't want, just do one set of 12.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top