User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're first statement was my concern with not eating breakfast. The other times I have lost weight, breakfast was a must to get the system going.

I am 237lbs of flab. I'm not trying to "get ripped" right now. Maybe a little ways down the road. I know Muscle weighs more than fat and muscle helps burn fat. That is why I know I need to begin a weight training regiment. I also know this will help me tone up faster. I am flabby. I have a gut and boobs. These must go. In the past I've lost 40-50lbs two different times in 3 months. I know low carb works for me, but my low carb had also become HUGE portions. Counting calories is my way of watching my portions.

I don't understand how under 2,000 calories and under 40g carbs is bad for the next couple of months. I realize that eventually I'll have to change it up a little, especially if I start building more muscle.

AM I way off base here?
View Quote
2k might be fine, it just depends on where you started calorie wise. we just dont want you to run out of steam because eventually the weight loss will stall out some and youll have to reset something or try and figure out what to do to get it moving again. You'll want room to drop more calories.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure now you say 2000 and not 1500

I would think 2000-2300 a day with low carb would work good for a while.

IMO when you said 1500 that "triggered" me that you were thinking of the starvation route.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Under 2,000 a day. I want to be around 1,500

today I consumed 1343 calories 170g protein and 29g carbs. I've drank about 100oz of water so far
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Under 2,000 a day. I want to be around 1,500

today I consumed 1343 calories 170g protein and 29g carbs. I've drank about 100oz of water so far
View Quote
Right.

IMO that is way too few cals.  Odds are though in a 7 day period you'll ave quite a bit more than that anyway.  Some days 1400, others 2100 etc.

If you could actually manage to eat that few for weeks on end you'd damage your metabolism.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Educate me.

Why would my metabolism be damaged by that number of calories?

In what way would it be damaged?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Educate me.

Why would my metabolism be damaged by that number of calories?

In what way would it be damaged?
View Quote
The idea is that if you aren't eating enough calories your body will just use less rather than waste away to nothing. There is some validity to this but if you are keto adapted your body should continue to use the same amount of calories but burn the 100s of thousands of calories of body fat you have.

You are getting plenty of protein. I think you are doing fine. You can get more calories when you start lifting more.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Not eating breakfast isn't as hard as I thought it'd be
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Still going strong. 2 grilled chicken breast, 1cup of pulled pork, and one deer bratwurst yesterday. So far today only coffee.

I haven't had a BM since at least Thursday. Is that normal starting something like this?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Still going strong. 2 grilled chicken breast, 1cup of pulled pork, and one deer bratwurst yesterday. So far today only coffee.

I haven't had a BM since at least Thursday. Is that normal starting something like this?
View Quote
More roughage. Add some fiber to your diet, a cup of steamed broccoli is only 50 calories, and dirt cheap.

I contend that a healthy human should be pooping at least every other day, and usually around the same time each day (or every other day).
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Today completed one one week. I stayed under 1800 calories every day except yesterday. Yesterday was 2100 and 52 carbs. Highest total for both for the week. One lb lost. Wife says she can see a difference.

I haven't started lifting yet like I want to. I've had a low grade fever and achiness and fatigue  since Monday. Went to the Dr. today to get that cleared up.

I think I'm going to have to eat some thing light at breakfast to get my metabolism going. Both times I've lost weight in the past, breakfast was an important part
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Today completed one one week. I stayed under 1800 calories every day except yesterday. Yesterday was 2100 and 52 carbs. Highest total for both for the week. One lb lost. Wife says she can see a difference.

I haven't started lifting yet like I want to. I've had a low grade fever and achiness and fatigue  since Monday. Went to the Dr. today to get that cleared up.

I think I'm going to have to eat some thing light at breakfast to get my metabolism going. Both times I've lost weight in the past, breakfast was an important part
View Quote
good on you sticking with it. you dont have to skip breakfast every day.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just looked at stronglift 5x5. I like the look of it. I will make time for it.
View Quote
I have an hour for working out.  That includes changing and stopping sweating.  I also like to run a mile.  I started with the strong lifts app and 5x5.  I found that you could change it to 3x5 and you'll save some time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:31:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have an hour for working out.  That includes changing and stopping sweating.  I also like to run a mile.  I started with the strong lifts app and 5x5.  I found that you could change it to 3x5 and you'll save some time.
View Quote
I began with starting strength which uses 3x5. I never got the book and was just using an online guide for what exercises to do. Stage 3 was rotating deads with chinups and power cleans. The chins tended to add about 40 mins to my workout because i was walking to an adjacent neighborhood's park to do them on the chinup bar there. My powercleans resembled a blindfolded retarded monkey trying to do rocket surgery with a football it was fucking.

Swapping those for bent over row and more frequent deadlifts has made a tremendous difference. Adding rows has helped stabilize the opposing muscles for bench and i've seen a lot of improvement in bench because of it. Eliminating the other issues i mentioned previously helped my consistency and freed up more time in my life.

As far as 5x5 vs 3x5, 3x certainly frees up more time for life. On the other hand if you can 5x5 a weight you are able to lift a lot more than the guy that does that same weight at 3x5 and you can pretty confidently move on to 5 lbs more. I can get the weight up and look like garbage for 3x5 but 2 more sets and i wouldn't be able to finish the reps. By the same token 3x5 will allow you to do your worksets with a little higher weight than 5x5.

It's all kind of minutia though. Lift heavy shit using compound movements until you have shredded some muscle fiber and then eat protein and rest until you are mostly recovered and repeat. Don't eat too mich garbage.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top