Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2017 9:09:09 AM EDT
How good are rowing machines to get you in shape or keep you in shape?

There are a couple of Concept 2 rowing machines at our gym and I don't see them being used often.

I got on one and after about 10 mins I was smoked.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Second favorite machine after a spin bike.   It takes a couple of rounds to get the rhythm down.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Concept 2 ergs are the gold standard for rowers.  I was a collegiate rower and we used C2s even back then (late '80s).  Great for full-body conditioning.  There is a big C2 community including competitions, training, etc.  

If you have access to one, it is convenient and easy to measure your performance today against what you did yesterday, to progressively improve.  Tabata rows, sprints to 500m, 2000m mid-range, and 5000m long-range... all very good tools in your conditioning arsenal.

In college, on Saturdays, we would have 3-man races to 5000m on the erg.  The two losers would then have to run 3 miles of hills afterwards.  I won only a few, but remember puking many times.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I love mine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Concept 2's are sweet
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Concept 2 here. Love it. Physically unable to train seriously for running. I can only jog a couple times a week, but I can always row.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:57:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Rowing is great.  I have a C2 at work and home.

Just like everything else though.  You can pace yourself into boredom or get a full workout in 30 minutes.

I don't feel it replaces running for practical application, but it is a really good full body workout.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:51:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How good are rowing machines to get you in shape or keep you in shape?

There are a couple of Concept 2 rowing machines at our gym and I don't see them being used often.

I got on one and after about 10 mins I was smoked.

Thoughts?
View Quote

There's a reason these are found in all CrossFit boxes...
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought i would love it. Not sure if ours was broken or what but i had to really crank hard and fast to get much resistance. I do better on the elliptical set at level 9 for 20 minutes.

They pulled that rowing machine several months later and left the cheesy water one. Looks like a damn butter churn with a big paddle in there. A man could mix a hell of a batch of koolaid with that.

People use the water one, never saw anyone use the c2.

I was 5'9" and 250 at the time but ive always had good endurance. 30 minutes on that thing was a little workout. Sweat a bit. In 20 minutes on the elliptical i can have a sweat ring down below my tits from my neck.

Surely it was broken.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:50:15 AM EDT
[#10]
30 minutes is my usual every day type amount.  It's a good workout.  It should have been at least equivalent to the elliptical.  Something was wrong or the settings were messed with.

What is a crossfit box?  Is that urban talk for crossfit gym or is there something in a crossfit gym called a crossfit box?

ETA: Apparently the box is the gym or the franchise or something after googling.  I gotta stay up on this or people catch on that I don't crossfit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I couldn't afford the Concept, so I bought a Stamina InMotion Rower, its under $100.  Works well for me.  I love rowing.

Judy
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
We have a Bodycraft VR100 and really have no complaints. It's a residential grade machine, so it's in a different class than the Concept 2, but it's well built and smooth. I don't think it would hold up to steady use in a commercial environment, but it has no problems after a year+ of use 1-3 times a week.

http://www.rowingreviews.com/bodycraft/vr100/
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Concept 2 is in my garage and used 3 times a week- great workout!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top