Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/13/2017 2:08:12 PM EDT
I've been doing SL 5x5 for a couple months, had to take a month off for a couple reasons. I'm getting back in to it. At the same time I'm trying to be a better/faster runner. I've recently started doing some OCRs with my wife and some friends, and I've been signing up for other road races as well. How are you all incorporating weight training with running? I don't want to be too sore from one that the other is neglected. I'm not trying to be a body builder, just looking for total body strength. I enjoy the strongman style lifts as they are for practical strength. I think I may download a Couch to 10K style app for the running. I am currently about 69 inches and I fluctuate anywhere from 176 to 179 pounds. I don't know what my BMI is.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
No running.  Only lifting bro.  If you need cardio, just incorporate high rep sets.

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Because the army still tests me to run 2 miles I have incorporated running with my lifting program.  Though, I do just enough to maintain.  So about 3 - 4 miles a week a mix of 2 mile runs and speed 1 mile runs after lifting about 2-3 days a week.

I'm still able to lift heavy and intense and making steady gains.  Though, your nutrition plan will be key to any goals you have.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Long distance running and strength training don't really go together well.

I wouldn't do anything over a 5k.

Sprints are your friend.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 5:23:51 AM EDT
[#4]
The sucky part about running is that it's time consuming and it burns calories you could be using to build muscle, it's also high impact so it can bang up your knees, shins and ankles.

If you want to do it though then go for it, personally I would work on speed over distance. Anywhere from 100 yards to 1 mile for time using sprint intervals, at least sprinting is an explosive movement.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because the army still tests me to run 2 miles I have incorporated running with my lifting program.  Though, I do just enough to maintain.  So about 3 - 4 miles a week a mix of 2 mile runs and speed 1 mile runs after lifting about 2-3 days a week.

I'm still able to lift heavy and intense and making steady gains.  Though, your nutrition plan will be key to any goals you have.
View Quote
I'm also in the Army and need to maintain a good 2 mile time. Actually, I'd like to improve my 2 mile time while still improving total body fitness and strength.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
We are pretty close to the same size 5'8" @ 190 and although I don't know your composition, here is what I do: 3 days a week of SS style workouts and 3 days a week of 3-4 mile runs. I ran a 23 min 5k two weeks ago and pulled 435 (lifetime PR) Saturday.  Neither of those two is that all impressive, but I'm faster and stronger than I was a year ago.

I could have made progress faster in running or strength by specificity, but I chose both so progress in each has been a little stunted. You mentioned OCR events. Do you do the shorter 5k style events or the longer Spartan Beasts and Full Tough Mudders?  I can make it through a 4-6 mile OCR on 9 miles a week of running, but for 13+ miles I have to have more weekly mileage to survive.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]
organize your training so that your week looks like:

<Intensity---------------Volume>
Start of the week        End of the week

Intensity will be heavy lifting, and hard running. Volume is longer, easy paced running and hypertrophy type lifting. Lift legs and run on the same day, preferably running after lifting. I also find that's it's easier for my body to recover from running when I split it up over more days. I feel better running 30 minutes 6 days a week than 60 minutes 3 days a week.

How experienced at running are you? I'd first recommend building your base with easy running. Start with like 30:00 easy 2-3 a week. Then gradually add another 30 minute run every 2-3 weeks, depending on how you're feeling until you get up to 5-6 days of running comfortably. Then you can start training more speed stuff.

A week would end up looking like:

1- Squat- High intensity, low volume / fastest running
2- Bench + row or OHP + pull-ups- High intensity, low volume/ easy run
3- Deadlift- medium intensity, medium volume / fast run (the same or less intensity as day 1, depending on your program)
4- Bench + row or OHP + pull-ups- medium intensity, medium volume/ off or easy run
5- Squat low intensity, high volume / long easy run 30-50 minutes
6- Bench + row or OHP + pull-ups- low intensity, high volume/ off or easy run

Check out Jack Daniels for how to periodize your running. It basically rotates through 4 phases; base build, repetitions, intervals, threshold

Deloading every 4 weeks would be a good idea. Just reduce the volume and intensity of everything. Eat a lot of food
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We are pretty close to the same size 5'8" @ 190 and although I don't know your composition, here is what I do: 3 days a week of SS style workouts and 3 days a week of 3-4 mile runs. I ran a 23 min 5k two weeks ago and pulled 435 (lifetime PR) Saturday.  Neither of those two is that all impressive, but I'm faster and stronger than I was a year ago.

I could have made progress faster in running or strength by specificity, but I chose both so progress in each has been a little stunted. You mentioned OCR events. Do you do the shorter 5k style events or the longer Spartan Beasts and Full Tough Mudders?  I can make it through a 4-6 mile OCR on 9 miles a week of running, but for 13+ miles I have to have more weekly mileage to survive.
View Quote
I've only done Savage Race so far. I'm registered for another Savage Race and a Spartan Sprint in the fall. The Savage Races are about 6-8 miles and the Spartan Sprint is about 3 miles. I did the first Savage without doing any running training. I was fine until about the last mile where I was getting pretty tired both upper body and legs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
organize your training so that your week looks like:

<Intensity---------------Volume>
Start of the week        End of the week

Intensity will be heavy lifting, and hard running. Volume is longer, easy paced running and hypertrophy type lifting. Lift legs and run on the same day, preferably running after lifting. I also find that's it's easier for my body to recover from running when I split it up over more days. I feel better running 30 minutes 6 days a week than 60 minutes 3 days a week.

How experienced at running are you? I'd first recommend building your base with easy running. Start with like 30:00 easy 2-3 a week. Then gradually add another 30 minute run every 2-3 weeks, depending on how you're feeling until you get up to 5-6 days of running comfortably. Then you can start training more speed stuff.

A week would end up looking like:

1- Squat- High intensity, low volume / fastest running
2- Bench + row or OHP + pull-ups- High intensity, low volume/ easy run
3- Deadlift- medium intensity, medium volume / fast run (the same or less intensity as day 1, depending on your program)
4- Bench + row or OHP + pull-ups- medium intensity, medium volume/ off or easy run
5- Squat low intensity, high volume / long easy run 30-50 minutes
6- Bench + row or OHP + pull-ups- low intensity, high volume/ off or easy run

Check out Jack Daniels for how to periodize your running. It basically rotates through 4 phases; base build, repetitions, intervals, threshold

Deloading every 4 weeks would be a good idea. Just reduce the volume and intensity of everything. Eat a lot of food
View Quote
I would say I'm a fairly experienced runner. I've been in the military for 12 years, so I'm no stranger to timed running events. I'd also say I'm a novice weight lifter. I used to lift a lot, got lazy for a few years, and just started getting serious again about 6 months ago. I would say I could stand to be a little bit more dedicated than I am right now.

The schedule you posted is interesting and worth seriously looking in to, so thanks for that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm also in the Army and need to maintain a good 2 mile time. Actually, I'd like to improve my 2 mile time while still improving total body fitness and strength.
View Quote
Luckily 2 miles isn't very long, so if you are decent that's only ~15 minutes of cardio and you are done. Don't run for a really long time. You can improve your running by doing interval training on a treadmill, although mentally it's a little different game.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can afford it, I recommend a well balanced CrossFit program, biasing more towards mainsite/OG programming, then doing 5/3/1 on the side.   That will get you ready for most OCR's and any road race under a half.  If it is a strength biased program, you will need to drop the 5/3/1 and add in additional running and cardio.

BTW most OCR's (especially Spartan Sprints and Supers) are essentially 400-800m runs broken up by obstacles.  CrossFit best mimics this with their triplets/couplets with running in them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you can afford it, I recommend a well balanced CrossFit program, biasing more towards mainsite/OG programming, then doing 5/3/1 on the side.   That will get you ready for most OCR's and any road race under a half.  If it is a strength biased program, you will need to drop the 5/3/1 and add in additional running and cardio.

BTW most OCR's (especially Spartan Sprints and Supers) are essentially 400-800m runs broken up by obstacles.  CrossFit best mimics this with their triplets/couplets with running in them.
View Quote
I agree that Crossfit and/or 5/3/1 is a great way to get stronger, leaner, and in a lot better shape in general.  However, any event that has more than 2 miles of running is better prepared for by more....running.

If OP's goal is just to finish and time/performance are not that important, then I agree. CF's conditioning should be enough to improve the 2 mile PT test.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I did a Spartan Super (somewhere between 8 and 11 miles, I forget) last summer and was running like 15-20 miles a week leading up to it to prepare. Longest runs ended up being around 9 miles I think. I did something like 4-6mi monday, a 3mi on weds, 3mi (or sprints) thurs, and 7-9mi on saturday.

I had to reduce my intensity and frequency of squatting and deadlifting to allow my legs to recover enough to run like that. I think I got down to doing like 3x10 at 1x BW every 5 days for squats, and DL was low volume once a week, with something like a triple at 2x BW being my max set.

Running ability/endurance is the most important factor in OCRs, followed by upper body/back strength and grip strength (the muscles you use for stuff like monkey bars, rope climbs, pulling stuff with ropes, pullups, carrying buckets, etc...).

My race was in early August, and afterwards I immediately switched to SL5x5 and stopped running completely. The next time I ran was for a Stadium Series Spartan Spring at Fenway (so, a lot of stair climbing), which was about 3mi, and it was super easy.

ETA here, found my thread about it from last year: link
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:49:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I forgot about my thread lol. Still watching it. I restarted the SL5x5 as I took several weeks off. I'm currently trying to run more as well. The running is the hardest part to get motivated about. I've got a 5k tomorrow but I pulled a muscle in my back yesterday. This one definitely won't be for a record time...
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sprints are your friend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sprints are your friend.
These guys would say you are wrong...

https://www.completehumanperformance.com/

https://www.completehumanperformance.com/coach-alex-viada/
Our specialty is creating all-around athletes. Our highly sports-specific methods give our athletes the flexibility to combine multiple different sports and events. Regardless of your goal, every athlete could stand to be stronger, faster, more durable and more resistant to fatigue. If you’re a strength athlete looking to run a marathon without losing muscle size and power, we can help you do that. If you’re a police officer looking to develop speed, endurance, and strength at the same time, we’ll get you there. We have put together a coaching team that can offer coaching in any sport you can dream up.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#17]
And shake weight will tell me it works too.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I do fire and police/swat, so take from this what you will...

i personally hate running, its boring to me, but its a necessity. I work a 24/48 rotation right now, so on my work day I do a mix of weights ie bench, squat, shrugs, power clean and practical exercises ie drags, carry's, pushups, pull ups...it ends up being a heavy day

day 2 i come home at 7am, run about 1-2 miles at about 8 minute pace, kettle bells, push-ups, several types of "sit-ups", and continued cardio...jump rope, jumping jacks, box jumps, burpees, etc...

day 3 is a 5-10 mile bike ride on a mountain bike, some lightweight high rep presses, squats, bag work, and a "sprint" mile

one day a week i take off to kinda just cool down, eating right is the other major player....none of the workout matters if your going out smashing crap food, especially if your older

i try to keep it all balanced, low impact, i'd had several surgeries due to work but i keep in pretty good shape....BP 107/60, HR 50bpm, 190#s at 6ft
ive done the MBA combat course, several fire fighter fitness challenges, and swat courses...do pretty good for a beat up dude in my mid-30s
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't ever run more than one mile continuous but I run it pretty fast

Total distance on cardio days is 2mi, 2 laps warm up, mile for time, 2 laps sprint with rest in between

Seems to be a good balance of cardio as my lifts are still going up
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:12:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Since running is secondary, at best, to my goals, I cover 1 mile at the end of each lifting session which is 5/3/1 methodology. I use Jim's running with the devil template. It's just a mile broken up into 100, 200, or 400 meter segments. It really, REALLY sucked at first but I got used to it. It doesn't matter if it was an upper body lift or a lower body lift, I cover the mile. I do band pull a parts between the segments, too.

I do keep a log of the running and try to go a little faster each time.

I'm not getting weaker either.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I can tell you with certainty that for 6 months I decided I was going to incorporate running into my lifting routine just to see what happened.

In 6 months I didn't put on a single pound of mass, I barely made any strength gains, and I overall just stalled out. I could run a lot better, but my body wasn't changing in any perceptible (beneficial) way. This was running 5k or 10k almost every morning, before my lifts.

Fast forward 6 more months, and I only run once/week. Gains are coming in on track and I still feel like my cardio levels are where they should be.

Take that for what it's worth...
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I am probably doing this totally wrong, but I doing it, so there's that.  

I run 16 miles a week on average, three or four 5 mile runs a week and lift 5/3/1 on Mon/Wed/Fri.  

I have two competing goals for this year, run/walk 1000 miles, I am on pace for 1200 miles and have a combined 4 lift personal record of 1200 lbs.  I am behind on that goal for all the reasons everyone else stated about running and powerlifting not going together.  What do I care though, I am 43 and in the best shape of my life.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I've incorporated running with lifting with good results in two ways.

Running after lifting while doing 5/3/1 (Squat, accessories, conditioning; Bench, accessory work, 2 miles; deadlift, accessory work, conditioning; OHP, accessory work, 2 miles).

Hypertrophy program with running on separate days.

I think for most people that aren't running lots of miles (like someone training for a half marathon), you can incorporate both training goals if you plan it well.  The key is having clearly defined goals.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am probably doing this totally wrong, but I doing it, so there's that.  

I run 16 miles a week on average, three or four 5 mile runs a week and lift 5/3/1 on Mon/Wed/Fri.  

I have two competing goals for this year, run/walk 1000 miles, I am on pace for 1200 miles and have a combined 4 lift personal record of 1200 lbs.  I am behind on that goal for all the reasons everyone else stated about running and powerlifting not going together.  What do I care though, I am 43 and in the best shape of my life.  
View Quote
If you run 16 miles a week, or have a 1200# total, or do either of those at 43 years old, then you are probably in the top fraction of 1% of the population.

Impressive.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you run 16 miles a week, or have a 1200# total, or do either of those at 43 years old, then you are probably in the top fraction of 1% of the population.

Impressive.
View Quote
4 lift total.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd do SL & throw in a couple body weight exercises afterwards,MWF.

Stew Smiths running plan. Look around his site if you don't know his credentials

ETA run Tuesday Thursday, let your body tell you whether you should run Saturday or not
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
4 lift total.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impressive.
4 lift total.
Yes, 4 lift total.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I was running 20-25mpw. Realized I need to lift to lose weight/avoid injury.

Now, I'll do 30 min of cardio (elliptical or run) after lifting 3 days a week. I'll do a 4-5 mi run one or two days a week and rest one or two (sometimes, my schedule won't let me work out).

I'm 58 and will never be a "lifter" but I want to be solid and keep losing pounds of fat. But, I love trail running and will keep that as my focus as long as I'm not shitting into a bed pan!

I started at 210 and am now at 195 thanks to Keto. My goal is 170 but don't know if adding some muscle will keep me above that.

Again, I'm 58 so all you bucks in your 30's are looking at very different outcomes than I am.

TC
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was running 20-25mpw. Realized I need to lift to lose weight/avoid injury.

Now, I'll do 30 min of cardio (elliptical or run) after lifting 3 days a week. I'll do a 4-5 mi run one or two days a week and rest one or two (sometimes, my schedule won't let me work out).

I'm 58 and will never be a "lifter" but I want to be solid and keep losing pounds of fat. But, I love trail running and will keep that as my focus as long as I'm not shitting into a bed pan!

I started at 210 and am now at 195 thanks to Keto. My goal is 170 but don't know if adding some muscle will keep me above that.

Again, I'm 58 so all you bucks in your 30's are looking at very different outcomes than I am.

TC
View Quote
That's awesome. Keep it up
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Bunch of slackers in here. Awww running is hard wahhh

Even when I was repping 495 DLs, 405 Ss, and 315 Bs for 2-6 reps I was still running 20 miles per week.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Even when I was repping 495 DLs, 405 Ss, and 315 Bs for 2-6 reps I was still running 20 miles per week.
View Quote
I would never want to run 20 miles a week. Running is so boring.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides being boring as hell, it beats me up.

Sprinting is fine, but going down the road for miles at a steady pace for too many days in a row gets all kinds of things hurting.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like trail running. It's like hiking but faster.

I even find running on the road like meditation.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I will say that a lot of posts in this thread lead me to believe I'm overthinking my routine. What was your schedule like when you were putting up those numbers?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have really come to enjoy running, mostly due to be addiction to podcasts.  I have a ton of podcasts I want to listen to and I can't listen to spoken word and work, but I can put one foot in front of the other for an hour and listen.  

As far as getting beat up, I have been wearing Hoka One One's and they are great shoes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sprints are your friend.
View Quote
Yep.

If you're doing cardio for health and fat burning, look at HIIT.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#37]
running is utterly miserable, time slows down when I'm doing it and it becomes an eternity of pain
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I will say that a lot of posts in this thread lead me to believe I'm overthinking my routine. What was your schedule like when you were putting up those numbers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After manual labor all day I'd lift 4-5 days a week and run 2-3
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
running is utterly miserable, time slows down when I'm doing it and it becomes an eternity of pain
View Quote
Embrace the suck
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Recent studies, in the last 10 years or so, have proven that you're working against yourself if you're doing that.

*not an expert in anything
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Embrace the suck
View Quote
I've tried. I got "endure" down but "embrace" always eludes me
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I like trail running. It's like hiking but faster.

I even find running on the road like meditation.
View Quote
I like fast hiking. But there is no place worth hiking around here.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Recent studies, in the last 10 years or so, have proven that you're working against yourself if you're doing that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, my goals are to be strong, fast, and able to fight longer than the other guy
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well, my goals are to be strong, fast, and able to fight longer than the other guy
View Quote
Same here. That's why I went with HIIT over CT.

HIIT > CT in basically every way, except for training for CT sporting events.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have flashbacks to college sports during pre-season. The first of three practices every day was just running, that's it, we just ran. It taught me to hate it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hit is great but endurance training is just what it is. If my goal is a 500lbs squat or gaining weight then long distance running isn't a great way to do that.

It is needed to be a well rounded athlete
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Hit is great but endurance training is just what it is. If my goal is a 500lbs squat or gaining weight then long distance running isn't a great way to do that.

View Quote
Makes sense.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Makes sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense.
And make no mistakes, when I do have a PR goal I'm shooting for i do not run as much.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Which part, exactly? I lift 5-6 days per week and run once a week.

Making gains errday.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Making gains errday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Making gains errday.
I think he meant running 20+miles a week
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top