Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2017 6:21:18 AM EDT
Lately been doing light/heavy day each week.

Was doing 5x5 for a while but started doing 5x5 M&W and light higher reps on Friday.

So, if your heavy day is 225 for 5x5 then with 135 on the bar- is there any max you would not want to excee? 26 yesterday, thinking of working up to 100.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I watched a woman with 30" thighs squat ass to grass with 135 for 5 minutes straight. That would have to be brutal
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I train to exhaustion on Max rep days. Anything less and you're not having a max rep day, you're taking a break.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:02:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Reps to failure. If it's taking to long then just the weight a little.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I watched a woman with 30" thighs squat ass to grass with 135 for 5 minutes straight. That would have to be brutal
View Quote
I don't want to watch a woman with 30 inch thighs do anything.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lately been doing light/heavy day each week.

Was doing 5x5 for a while but started doing 5x5 M&W and light higher reps on Friday.

So, if your heavy day is 225 for 5x5 then with 135 on the bar- is there any max you would not want to excee? 26 yesterday, thinking of working up to 100.
View Quote

There are lots of options, what are you after?  Cardio with strength?  Try 20 rep max, and that means absolute max at 20 reps.  Rep 15 feels good, 17 you're seeing stars, Rep 20 is a total grind and you stagger back to a bench and fall on the floor.  Anything less is not a true 20-rep max.

Explosive work?  Try lighter weights and either max reps in 1:00 or 50% of max for pause squats.  I think pause squats are the single best variation I do because they have helped me so much at the bottom of a squat.  I do 225lbs for ten reps, the pause equals the rep #, so 1 second pause on rep one, two second on rep two.... The tenth rep is brutal.  Pause just above the bottom of your squats and don't lose tension.

I've been doing a lot more farmers carries and sled drags lately, they are also really working the legs hard and it's a good crossover.  Box jumps are also good.  Thrusters with a full front squat are a great variation that will really help everything, core strength, shoulders, conditioning... Puking...
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There are lots of options, what are you after?  Cardio with strength?  Try 20 rep max, and that means absolute max at 20 reps.  Rep 15 feels good, 17 you're seeing stars, Rep 20 is a total grind and you stagger back to a bench and fall on the floor.  Anything less is not a true 20-rep max.

Explosive work?  Try lighter weights and either max reps in 1:00 or 50% of max for pause squats.  I think pause squats are the single best variation I do because they have helped me so much at the bottom of a squat.  I do 225lbs for ten reps, the pause equals the rep #, so 1 second pause on rep one, two second on rep two.... The tenth rep is brutal.  Pause just above the bottom of your squats and don't lose tension.

I've been doing a lot more farmers carries and sled drags lately, they are also really working the legs hard and it's a good crossover.  Box jumps are also good.  Thrusters with a full front squat are a great variation that will really help everything, core strength, shoulders, conditioning... Puking...
View Quote
Yup, try something like this OP.

Dmitry Klokov - Third day in Milan 9.11.2013
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yup, try something like this OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiDiQIXgyYA
View Quote
I tried Bring Sally Up at about 135 once-   BRUTAL!
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer 20 reps on high rep squats. I pick a weight that will absolutely suck to do for 20 reps but not something light enough that I can't push it for 20 reps. I've done more but anything more to me just feels like cardio, which is fine if that's what you're going for. I'm sure many will disagree but I'm personally not a fan of doing insanely high reps on any of the core lifts because the form will get sloppy way before you fail with alight weight which is an invitation to injury IMHO.

I think you should pick a weight you can do 20 times but make it a weight that you're really going to have to grind for on those last few reps, so if you can do 135 26 times shoot for 140 or 145 to start with. Once you can bang that out shoot for a second set of 20 but time your rest in between sets. Shoot for lowering that rest time in between sets, once that gets easy up the weight.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I tried Bring Sally Up at about 135 once-   BRUTAL!
View Quote
Only 30 reps in 3:30.......

Paused.....

With no rest at the top......

Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm more concerned about time under tension and form on high rep days.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm more concerned about time under tension and form on high rep days.
View Quote
This.

I keep a timer running so I can monitor my rest times. I aim for around 50-60 seconds on the set, and that usually ends up being 10-12 reps. Then keep rest times at 60 seconds.

Eventually you figure out that sweet spot where you hit technical failure (before your form fails) around 10 reps.

Then do progression the same way as anything else. 3 sets of at least 10 and add 5 lbs next time.

Mark Bell has a video about hypertrophy training and he basically says you let the weight you are using dictate the reps, and you do as many reps as it takes to make a productive set.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want a real leg burner OP try this one. I did it the other day and the DOMS two days later smoked me.

Deadlift 3x12 supersetted with Barbell Hack Squat 3x technical failure.

Basically, do your deadlift set with a light weight, then catch your breath, step over the bar and grind out a hack squat set with the same weight
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
HAHAHAHAHA- At first that sounds like a reasonable answer until you stop and think ? I'd like to have 30" thighs- so maybe she's on to something
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you want a real leg burner OP try this one. I did it the other day and the DOMS two days later smoked me.

Deadlift 3x12 supersetted with Barbell Hack Squat 3x technical failure.

Basically, do your deadlift set with a light weight, then catch your breath, step over the bar and grind out a hack squat set with the same weight
View Quote
Sounds interesting, think I'll try it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#16]
65% of your training max for 20 reps.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Reading this thread hurts.

I've never done a true 20 rep max squat...I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:07:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Snatch Wesley Smith no likey.

20 Rep Training with Rhino | JTSstrength.com
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I occasionally do pyramids at 20 reps per set.  135-185-225-275-315-315-275-225-185-135

I have mentioned it here before, but my wife walked in once when I was on the last 135 lb set of 20.  I was covered in sweat, and grunting, struggling and hurting for each rep.

She said something like "That's OK, honey.  I remember when you used to be strong".
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I occasionally do pyramids at 20 reps per set.  135-185-225-275-315-315-275-225-185-135

I have mentioned it here before, but my wife walked in once when I was on the last 135 lb set of 20.  I was covered in sweat, and grunting, struggling and hurting for each rep.

She said something like "That's OK, honey.  I remember when you used to be strong".
View Quote
315x20?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

315x20?
View Quote
After all the rest of it too!  Insane.

Another variation I've done is piston squats-  20 reps with no lockout at the top and now slowing down.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

After all the rest of it too!  Insane.

Another variation I've done is piston squats-  20 reps with no lockout at the top and now slowing down.
View Quote
My knees hurt just reading this...
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would die. Literally, I would be dead before I finished.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nah.  

Once you build up to handling the weight for reps, the higher reps become a mental game.  

The big boys who squat north of 700 are the ones who amaze me.  That kind of weight on your shoulders is trying to staple you to the floor.  

Google Chad Wesley Smith, Ray Williams, Blaine Sumner and guys like that.  Doing what they do will kill you.  :-)
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nah.  

Once you build up to handling the weight for reps, the higher reps become a mental game.  

The big boys who squat north of 700 are the ones who amaze me.  That kind of weight on your shoulders is trying to staple you to the floor.  

Google Chad Wesley Smith, Ray Williams, Blaine Sumner and guys like that.  Doing what they do will kill you.  :-)
View Quote
A friend of mine said he got to 500 for singles when he was enlisted, they used to push each other hard when they went to the gym.

He also said even in the rack it was terrifying because you go from being about to walk the weight out at 315 or so, to having to shuffle your feet back just enough to move when it starts to stack up. It's a shame he didn't stick with it, because the dude is built like a tree trunk, lifting heavy things comes pretty natural to him.

Meanwhile I'm over here just trying to break 300 at some point this year.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Speaking of 20 rep squats with 315... and dying....
I remember spotting a gym buddy years ago, he did 315 x 20 FRONT squat.
He died a month ago of cancer at 55.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top