Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2017 8:55:17 AM EDT
Does anyone know if there are any updated studies on this stuff? Mostly out of curiosity.

The reason I ask is because I switched back to my work schedule of A/B days. Basically squat and deadlift day, with the other compounds plugged in evenly.

My sex drive isn't lacking, really only when I get sick does it drop off at all. But it's been in over drive lately to the point it's annoying, I can only guess that the new routine coupled with spring time is causing my body to produce more of the fun stuff.

It was deadlift day the other day, followed by Bench and BB Rows, and then Chinups and Landmine Presses for higher reps. I have been doing a PPL routine since the fall prior to switching over recently. Trimmed the fat, I need more time efficient workouts less days per week through the summer.

I woke up in the middle of the night that night, and had to get laid, like right now. Normally I can just go back to sleep whens stuff like that happens. My wife was less than impressed, she likes her sleep, and this seems to be occurring a few nights a week now (anecdotally, the nights after a workout 99% of the time)

So a lot of studies point to acute spikes in hormones shortly after workouts, what happens after these spikes? Just saying that it spikes also implies that it drops off pretty quickly, can they be utilized at all, or is it just a nice little side effect to make you feel good for awhile? Is there any recent info about what is actually happening? Again, mostly of of curiosity.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Typing on my phone so excuse grammar.
I could def see this being a thing. After a real productive workout I've felt very "primal" if that's right word?

Mine hasn't spiked so much as just staying constantly elevated/high.
I'll be 36 this month and it's gotta be the highest it's ever been, even vs teen years.
My wife has negative sex drive so it really sucks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After a real productive workout I've felt very "primal" if that's right word?
View Quote
*Hits a new PR and leaves the weight just sitting on the ground*

"Woman....I need sex and bacon now....in that order"
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

*Hits a new PR and leaves the weight just sitting on the ground*

"Woman....I need sex and bacon now....in that order"
View Quote
that is exactly it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Everything I've read shows only transient spikes. Maybe you're an outlier, maybe it's simply the effect of overall better health. Could also be mental (mental state also effects the endocrine system).
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Everything I've read shows only transient spikes. Maybe you're an outlier, maybe it's simply the effect of overall better health. Could also be mental (mental state also effects the endocrine system).
View Quote
I don't understand where it would go otherwise, I had this conversation with someone else recently. Using testosterone as the example.

Say 30-60 minutes post workout you have a spike of unbound testosterone. Sure the total levels will start to drop following that initial spike, but your body must have bound it to something or used it somehow, it's not like it just gets re-absorbed by the testicles (or maybe it does, I would like to know more about this stuff).

My thought was, that if you do this regularly, the net advantage has to be greater than not having those short spikes.

The analogy being, if I have to spend 100 every day to stay alive and happy, and I'm given an extra dollar every time I work out, the buying power of that dollar is insignificant on a short scale, but spending that extra dollar over a couple months or a year might net me substantially more than not having it available.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't understand where it would go otherwise, I had this conversation with someone else recently. Using testosterone as the example.

Say 30-60 minutes post workout you have a spike of unbound testosterone. Sure the total levels will start to drop following that initial spike, but your body must have bound it to something or used it somehow, it's not like it just gets re-absorbed by the testicles (or maybe it does, I would like to know more about this stuff).

My thought was, that if you do this regularly, the net advantage has to be greater than not having those short spikes.

The analogy being, if I have to spend 100 every day to stay alive and happy, and I'm given an extra dollar every time I work out, the buying power of that dollar is insignificant on a short scale, but spending that extra dollar over a couple months or a year might net me substantially more than not having it available.
View Quote
Not entirely sure how it works, but let's say it does work that way. There has to be a natural limit, otherwise gym regulars would build up testosterone levels to a point that would rival a heavy steroid user. I do suspect that there is a fair amount of individual variance.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not entirely sure how it works, but let's say it does work that way. There has to be a natural limit, otherwise gym regulars would build up testosterone levels to a point that would rival a heavy steroid user. I do suspect that there is a fair amount of individual variance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, what I meant is that in addition to what you regularly produce, you get that little bit extra to use when it's released. Like your body has it's normal range, and uses it effectively, but then has a fraction more to allocate where it is needed and it gets used up just the same.

I know that it's all very vague assumptions, that why I would like to see some in depth studies on it by people that understand the systems and how they interact with each other.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Everybody is a little different and some people are all over place with hormonal productions.  There are natural adaptogens that help these people stay a bit more steady state.  Resihi/chaga mushrooms are well documented  with many peer reviewed medical journal for this affect (as well as many other health benefits).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top