Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2017 3:52:38 PM EDT
I recently lost 35 pounds (from 245 to 210), over about 6 months, by altering my eating habits.  No particular exercise to speak of during that time other than walking a few miles daily during the course of work.  (I didn't change that and it is the same walking that I did before I lost weight)

I'm looking for a starter's exercise regimen that takes 30 minutes or less.  I don't want to put on weight, or even build much muscle.  I'm still wanting to lose another 30 pounds or so, and really am feeling out of shape.  I just want to be in better shape overall.  

Any recommendations? I've started doing push ups and sit ups, also doing squats with no weights and can always jump rope.  I don't have any free weights, but could get those if needed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#1]
a p90x variant might be okay for that.
im going to guess alot of people will suggest stronglifts 5x5.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you going to a commercial gym or looking to work out at home?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you going to a commercial gym or looking to work out at home?
View Quote
Probably looking to work out at home.  I'm not too far from Planet Fitness, also a YMCA that friends go to, and the hospital I work at has its own fitness center, but I'd rather work out at home for the convenience.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Start with a single sit-up.

Work you way up from that!

And btw, as soon as I started my exercise, weight loss stopped. I hate that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Jump rope for 30 minutes. Bam!
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
stronglifts.com
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep walking and watching your diet, maybe do a few push ups and chin ups.

Not wanting muscle is an alien concept.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#8]
putting on a bit of muscle will really help with the weight loss.
you won't wake up looking like arnold so don't worry about that.

most cardio routines are likely to just make you more hungry plus they suck and are not good for dropping weight.

i like starting strength. it will take a bit more than 30 minutes and you'll have to buy some crap to do it at home. But i have found it to be one of the simplest easiest things to stick to. starting off it's just 3 sets of 5 reps of squats, alternating bench press and overhead press, deadlifts 3 days a week.

I'd just start off getting some dumbells once those are too light and you see if you're going to stick with it you can move on to the barbell and rack.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I recently lost 35 pounds (from 245 to 210), over about 6 months, by altering my eating habits.  No particular exercise to speak of during that time other than walking a few miles daily during the course of work.  (I didn't change that and it is the same walking that I did before I lost weight)

I'm looking for a starter's exercise regimen that takes 30 minutes or less.  I don't want to put on weight, or even build much muscle.  I'm still wanting to lose another 30 pounds or so, and really am feeling out of shape.  I just want to be in better shape overall.  

Any recommendations? I've started doing push ups and sit ups, also doing squats with no weights and can always jump rope.  I don't have any free weights, but could get those if needed.
View Quote

Is there an activity that you enjoy?  Does competition encourage or discourage you?  Are you after any social interaction as part of your exercise?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Keep walking and watching your diet, maybe do a few push ups and chin ups.

Not wanting muscle is an alien concept.
View Quote
Yea, I know.    I don't really mean not wanting ANY muscle, I just don't want to get buff and gain muscle weight?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is there an activity that you enjoy?  Does competition encourage or discourage you?  Are you after any social interaction as part of your exercise?
View Quote
I used to enjoy basketball with friends, but none of my friends do that any more.  Most of them cycle long distances, which I don't think I'd like.

A group of them goes to the local gym, I could do that, might give it a try.  I don't mind social interaction, but I'd rather just work out at home as my work schedule allows.  Hard to plan a regular work out time when your work schedule isn't always regular.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yea, I know.    I don't really mean not wanting ANY muscle, I just don't want to get buff and gain muscle weight?
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Laugh now bucko. It's all fun and games until you accidentally get too buff.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha  You know what I mean.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah we all do. It's just funny cause their are a lot of people who don't seem to realize how hard it really is.

My wife has been doing starting strength and 5/3/1 workouts for almost 3 years now and she still looks like a girl. I know quite a few guys who have had similar experiences

Your bulking up or lack of will be dictated by your diet.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, not really.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No, not really.
View Quote
I'm going with this.

How tall are you OP?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I have been doing 5/3/1 for about 2 years and strength training for 3 and I still weight 155. I was 148 when I started.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have been doing 5/3/1 for about 2 years and strength training for 3 and I still weight 155. I was 148 when I started.
View Quote
That's still pretty skinny...even for a chick that lifts.

Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:20:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run a lot too (trying to run a 13:00 2 mile again, and increase my 10k time). I also only started taking my diet seriously in January.

Last 5/3/1 cycle I pr'd DL with 7x365lbs (rep pr) and squat with 1x365lbs (15lbs 1-rm pr)... but my bench is sticking at around 215, and OHP around 130. Overall I think I do OK for a manlet.

Honestly I don't think I look like I lift, which is kind of annoying.

Eta- OP, the moral of the story is you gotta really focus on getting hyooge to get there. It requires a lot more than just lifting heavy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
One time I put an extra scoop of protein in my shake....the next day I was Arnold.

It was horrible.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#22]
OP, why wouldn't you want to build muscle. It's better than pretty much all the other options.

From a health standpoint too. More lean mass is better for you all around. Unless you are on gear hard, eating like a horse, and working your balls off, you aren't going to get freaky big.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I run a lot too (trying to run a 13:00 2 mile again, and increase my 10k time). I also only started taking my diet seriously in January.

Last 5/3/1 cycle I pr'd DL with 7x365lbs (rep pr) and squat with 1x365lbs (15lbs 1-rm pr)... but my bench is sticking at around 215, and OHP around 130. Overall I think I do OK for a manlet.

Honestly I don't think I look like I lift, which is kind of annoying.

Eta- OP, the moral of the story is you gotta really focus on getting hyooge to get there. It requires a lot more than just lifting heavy.
View Quote
I am about to reveal one secret trick that is going to aggravate all the personal trainers out there and possibly put a bounty on my head. It will make you grow more muscles and not contribute to any meaningful fat gain.

But before I tell you this secret industry super secret I want you to know you aren't alone. Many people make silly mistakes that lead them to never feel satisfied with their bodies or performance. All they needed was someone with this life changing knowledge who cared to show them the path to success and happiness.

EAT MORE DAGGON PROTEIN!!!!! WTF

Seriously. Eat more protein. Keep eating whatever you are now and just add in 3-4 scoops a day. That's it. Just do that. It's not enough excess calories to add a lot really fast. But over time you should see a few extra pounds in the right spots, especially if you throw in some BBB on your 5/3/1.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#24]
If you only want to workout for 30 min's or so, do a Google for "compound exercises".

Want the biggest bang for you buck? Start there.

Thank me later.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I used to enjoy basketball with friends, but none of my friends do that any more.  Most of them cycle long distances, which I don't think I'd like.

A group of them goes to the local gym, I could do that, might give it a try.  I don't mind social interaction, but I'd rather just work out at home as my work schedule allows.  Hard to plan a regular work out time when your work schedule isn't always regular.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At a very basic level, some easy jogging, some sprinting, a pullup bar and pushups can get you moving in the right direction.  Add dip bars and maybe some burpees if you want to take it up a notch.

If you find you're enjoying those, but want to do more strength work, you could join a gym or buy some free weight equipment.  If you prefer the endurance work, you can always run more, join a running club, join a pool, or buy a bicycle.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
At a very basic level, some easy jogging, some sprinting, a pullup bar and pushups can get you moving in the right direction.  Add dip bars and maybe some burpees if you want to take it up a notch.

If you find you're enjoying those, but want to do more strength work, you could join a gym or buy some free weight equipment.  If you prefer the endurance work, you can always run more, join a running club, join a pool, or buy a bicycle.
View Quote
You can do a hell of a pullups/dips/squats circuit in 30 minutes.

I used to do that with a doorway pullup bar, some homemade rings and a couple sets of dumbbells.

I didn't get very big from it, but my endurance went through the roof. I was doing almost 20 pullups per set by the end too, which was nice considering I started with about 3.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I used to do that with a doorway pullup bar, some homemade rings and a couple sets of dumbbells.

I didn't get very big from it, but my endurance went through the roof. I was doing almost 20 pullups per set by the end too, which was nice considering I started with about 3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  Low entry costs and mixing that with some running or sprinting, OP can 1) get some idea if/where he wants to make a larger investment and 2) prepare his body for "real" strength or endurance work to come
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Have you considered Kettlebell training?  It is a great for weight loss, strength and conditioning.  Will not put on a lot of mass.  You can do it at your home in less than an hour, and with minimal investment in equipment.  Plus the Kettlebell is extremely durable.  

I'm just starting the Simple and Sinister workout from Pavel Tsatsouline's book.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am about to reveal one secret trick that is going to aggravate all the personal trainers out there and possibly put a bounty on my head. It will make you grow more muscles and not contribute to any meaningful fat gain.

But before I tell you this secret industry super secret I want you to know you aren't alone. Many people make silly mistakes that lead them to never feel satisfied with their bodies or performance. All they needed was someone with this life changing knowledge who cared to show them the path to success and happiness.

EAT MORE DAGGON PROTEIN!!!!! WTF

Seriously. Eat more protein. Keep eating whatever you are now and just add in 3-4 scoops a day. That's it. Just do that. It's not enough excess calories to add a lot really fast. But over time you should see a few extra pounds in the right spots, especially if you throw in some BBB on your 5/3/1.
View Quote
This week has been fucked up, so I fell off the train, but the last four weeks I was eating 2900 to 3000 calories a day, total protein intake of 190-210g/day. I was measuring my food and everything. I am doing a cycle of triumvirate right now, the next cycle will be BBB, followed by a cycle of One Man One Barbell. After I get through all that I will figure out what is next. My priorities, in order, are strength, cardio endurance, speed, and size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top