Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/9/2017 3:26:18 PM EDT
I just started Starting Strength last week and in reading Mark Rippetoe says that lifting shoes are important. How many of you wear them? Do you think they are important?

I am trying to decide if I want to spend $100 and get a pair or just keep trying to go in running shoes.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I think something like that only becomes important if you are doing some serious dead lifting, power cleans, etc.

I'd just find a good fitness shoe that has good support.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
For squats, absolutely. Every time. Front. Back. Overhead. Whatever goofy squat du jour.

If you want to do Oly lifting, they are absolutely required. If you want to have a more effective squat, I think they're indispensable. If you're just a filthy casual, a flat, hard-ish soled shoe will do fine.

Do not squat in running shoes. They are too squishy and while you'll manage for a while, your gainz will come slower and you'll wear out your shoes faster and it's just not a great idea. 
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
These shoes are SHA-WEEET!

I only wear them for squats myself, but they do make a big ass difference.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think something like that only becomes important if you are doing some serious dead lifting, power cleans, etc.

I'd just find a good fitness shoe that has good support.
View Quote

I don't like to wear lifting shoes for dead lifts, squats and olympic lifts is what they are made for.  I'll do some squats in flat shoes or barefoot, but only light weight to help with ankle mobility.  When I go heavy it's always with my romaleos.

OP, if you feel yourself having stability problems at all, get the shoes.  They will add 50lbs to your squat (well, maybe not quite that much, but if you're squatting in running shoes I'd bet lifting shoes will add at least 50lbs).
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For squats, absolutely. Every time. Front. Back. Overhead. Whatever goofy squat du jour.

If you want to do Oly lifting, they are absolutely required. If you want to have a more effective squat, I think they're indispensable. If you're just a filthy casual, a flat, hard-ish soled shoe will do fine.

Do not squat in running shoes. They are too squishy and while you'll manage for a while, your gainz will come slower and you'll wear out your shoes faster and it's just not a great idea. 
View Quote

This.

Roma 3's just dropped OP!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Or

2000 Adistar - $900

Seriously though, there's some descent shoes in the $100 range.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm 49 and don't have the flexibility that I used to.  I find the little bit of heel on my Adidas squat shoes helps me to get down all the way.

Also, from a goofball mental standpoint, I find that when I put them on I know it's time to get serious.  I like them, and they weren't too expensive.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#7]
If the lifting shoes you're looking at have Crossfit in its name, YOU'RE PAYING TO FUCKING MUCH

I love my Do-Wins that I got for well under $100 sheckles way before this lifting craze became a craze. I only wear them for squatting/oly lifts because of ankle issues  

You're paying the high price because everyone wants to be a strongman crossfitter instagram youtube sensation
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I dunno, I just use Chucks. 
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
These shoes are SHA-WEEET!

I only wear them for squats myself, but they do make a big ass difference.
View Quote

I looked at those. Unfortunately they don't make them in Men's sizes.

Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just started Starting Strength last week and in reading Mark Rippetoe says that lifting shoes are important. How many of you wear them? Do you think they are important?

I am trying to decide if I want to spend $100 and get a pair or just keep trying to go in running shoes.

Thanks.
View Quote

If you are saying that you just started strength training,no you do not need special strength training shoes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for all of the help.  I figure getting the right tools on the front end would easier if they were valuable.

I don't know that I am ever going to be squatting huge but as I have gotten older (43) and I am restarting to try and lift heavy I realize that I have to be careful, have good form and listen to my body when it tells me "NO!" I didn't do that on Wednesday and now I have to sit out a couple of days and ice my shoulder. Chiro said no presses or squats or DL's until the irritation goes away.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

On another note, why in the heck would size 9.5 lifting shoes be worth $900?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you are saying that you just started strength training,no you do not need special strength training shoes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

I've been in the gym for a while. I just started Rippetoe's program because I think that as I age I need to focus on getting stronger. I am asking because he recommends them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Definitely get lifting shoes
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#14]
LIfters and knee sleeves, every day that I lift.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I dunno, I just use Chucks. 
View Quote

Same. They work well for deadlifts and squats.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:00:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Serious question-  have you ever tried lifting shoes?

If not, I'd bet you really like them.  They aren't for old or young, or just strong guys, or just Olympic lifters.  They are a solid base to push from and help with mobility for anyone who wears them.  Great asset.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:28:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I recommend wrestling shoes for dead lifting.  You want to be as low to the ground as possible and still have some bite into the floor (socks are ok but they are slippery).  Asics makes a good shoe for $50.00.

I got some Adidas Adipowers on Amazon on sale for $100.00.  They are solid and have no give.  They make my feet feel absolutely planted, fit like a slipper, and provide great support.  Also, they won't wear hardly at all if all you do is squat in them, so you will have them forever.  Other shoes are likely to blow out on the sides after a while.    

But, depending on your leverages and squat type, you may not need the heel.  Experiment with the wrestling shoes for squatting and see if you need a heel to reach proper depth. Forget squatting in running shoes or even Chuck T's.  They are too squishy and neither have a heel if you need it.  If you are Oly lifting, you need Oly shoes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:11:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought so too until I got my first pair of lifting shoes. Now I wear wrestling shoes for deads and romaleos for everything else.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:47:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I lift barefoot, but I would buy shoes if I wasn't such a tight wad.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Weightlifting shoes make a huge difference in squatting- much more stability than the squishiness of running shoes.

For deadlifting, I really like wrestling shoes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I got Adidas Powerlift 3s on Amazon for $65 shipped. Of course the lime green was the cheapest and any normal color was close to $90 at the time. Color doesn't bother me. They're shoes. They function well. Really improved my squat from when I was less knowledgeable and using running shoes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Get lifting shoes if you're serious. You can ruin a good pair of running shoes fast if you squat or deadlift in them. I wear 10 year old VS athletic shoes.

Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I got Adidas Powerlift 3s on Amazon for $65 shipped. Of course the lime green was the cheapest and any normal color was close to $90 at the time. Color doesn't bother me. They're shoes. They function well. Really improved my squat from when I was less knowledgeable and using running shoes.
View Quote
That's what I am looking at. All they have for cheap is orange.

Having said that, I agree, they are not for fashion. Another question for folks here, why wear them when squatting but not deadlifting?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Having said that, I agree, they are not for fashion. Another question for folks here, why wear them when squatting but not deadlifting?
View Quote

The further your foot is from the floor, the further you have to move the bar.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never thought about it that way. The dang bar is far enough away as is, I have bend deep to keep my back straight and that is my biggest issue now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

They elevate the heel of your foot which already puts your balance forward, now try to bend down and pick up a bar. It puts your back in a position of disadvantage essentially. This isn't a problem with a squat since with weight your center of gravity would be more rearward or at least dead center.

I use them for front squats since I don't have the ankle mobility to go ass to grass on them and not have horrendous back rounding. I've worked on it for a long time and it's as good as it'll get so the shoes are pretty much mandatory. On back squats I usually squat high bar, so once again mandatory. Low bar squats I never used them but I don't low bar squat since it really isn't for me judging by all the injuries it's brought me.

I got reebok crossfit lifters on sale for $70 a few years ago and they've held up fantastic even with heavy use 2-3x a week. Adidas powerlifts can be found for $85 full price I believe but I've seen them much cheaper in Adidas outlets.

For everything else chuck taylors have worked fine but you can't be wrestling shoes. Season is over so you might find some on sale at big 5.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I have Adidas Powerlift 3's. I really like them, nice and solid.

I wear them deadlifting though too. I may try going back to barefoot or picking up a cheap pair of wrestling shoes for that though now that you guys mention it. I felt off balance (especially in a sumo dead) last night.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If not, I'd bet you really like them.  They aren't for old or young, or just strong guys, or just Olympic lifters.  They are a solid base to push from and help with mobility for anyone who wears them.  Great asset.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually have not. I have been wearing the chucks for squats and deadlifts for a bit over 2 years. I was actually looking at a set of New Balance Minimus shoes for lifting in uniform since chucks are a IPFU no-go.

Does anyone here have any experience in the minimalist vs lifting shoe dilemma? I would love to get both, but I also refresh my running shoes pretty frequently since I run quite a bit, so I'd like to keep costs down.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I actually have not. I have been wearing the chucks for squats and deadlifts for a bit over 2 years. I was actually looking at a set of New Balance Minimus shoes for lifting in uniform since chucks are a IPFU no-go.

Does anyone here have any experience in the minimalist vs lifting shoe dilemma? I would love to get both, but I also refresh my running shoes pretty frequently since I run quite a bit, so I'd like to keep costs down.
View Quote

I've had a few types of minimalistic shoes that I've used for lifting.  For some lifts they are great, I love them for pretty much any kind of crossfit-style workout and even running (I don't run further than a 5k, I imagine they wouldn't be much fun for longer than that).  I've even done a mile with a 55lb kettlebell in each hand with them.

But lifting shoes are a whole new world for squats and oly lifts.  So much more stable, easier positions and more comfortable at the bottom of a squat- especially overhead.  I got them when I was squatting somewhere in the low 300s, but I wish I had done it sooner.  I think the stability and positions would have helped me hit 405 sooner as I would have been more comfortable with the weight.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They elevate the heel of your foot which already puts your balance forward, now try to bend down and pick up a bar. It puts your back in a position of disadvantage essentially. This isn't a problem with a squat since with weight your center of gravity would be more rearward or at least dead center.

I use them for front squats since I don't have the ankle mobility to go ass to grass on them and not have horrendous back rounding. I've worked on it for a long time and it's as good as it'll get so the shoes are pretty much mandatory. On back squats I usually squat high bar, so once again mandatory. Low bar squats I never used them but I don't low bar squat since it really isn't for me judging by all the injuries it's brought me.
View Quote

I think @Frayedknot has said he uses lifting shoes with low bar, but I like them for any squatting motion and hate them for deads for exactly the part in bold.  In theory you can compensate with body position, but I'm a crappy dead lifter and can't get comfortable with the shoes at all.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wear Inov 8 fast lift.. I bought two pairs online to very they would fit properly and returned the other

Amazon had a reallly good prove at the time, around 90
View Quote

They are $70 on Leftlane Sports right now in 12, 12.5, 14 right now.

I've had a pair for a year or so I picked up from the same place for $50.  I've had no complaints.  Other Inov8 shoes aren't terribly durable, or at least they weren't in the past, but no complaints with the fastlifts.

As far as the minimalists shoes go, I normally workout in Merrel or Inov8 "flats".  Both only have a few millimeters of rubber under foot.  That is for kettebells, rowing, running, etc.  I'll wear my fast lifts for anything with a barbell though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think @Frayedknot has said he uses lifting shoes with low bar, but I like them for any squatting motion and hate them for deads for exactly the part in bold.  In theory you can compensate with body position, but I'm a crappy dead lifter and can't get comfortable with the shoes at all.
View Quote

Yeah I do all squats with them, but I primarily low bar. I like the stability they provide.

I sumo dead mostly and wrestling shoes are best. I'm not sure I would wear lifting shoes if I converted back to conventional. Rip recommends for novices to dead in low rise shoes because it activates more of the quads, thereby using more muscle mass in the movement. But I'm more comfortable in flat shoes when pulling.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah I do all squats with them, but I primarily low bar. I like the stability they provide.

I sumo dead mostly and wrestling shoes are best. I'm not sure I would wear lifting shoes if I converted back to conventional. Rip recommends for novices to dead in low rise shoes because it activates more of the quads, thereby using more muscle mass in the movement. But I'm more comfortable in flat shoes when pulling.
View Quote

When I pull at the gym I take my running shoes off and just pull in socks. If I am at home I wear my chucks.

I was considering a minimalist shoe over a lifting shoe because I seem to be progressing well with a flat foot for squats/deadlifts.

ETA: I do low-bar squats and Sumo-DLs. I do pull conventional, but only for volume work, so generally 50-70% of my Sumo max. Don't know if that information changes which heel height I should wear...
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#35]
For me, wrestling shoes laced tight work and feel better than Chucks. I think I spent $29 at Amazon on some quality clearance Adidas wrestlers.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:47:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I haven't seen his form but there are exceptions. Some people squat with a low bar position but a not so wide stance which would work well with lifting shoes. The traditional low bar with a really wide stance (competition) works best with a flat sole. Some people squat high bar with a wider stance and still use lifting shoes. I think when people refer to low bar they think of ultra wide competition style squats and when people say high bar they're thinking straight up olympic style when most people would be better off with a "hybrid" style with everything right in the middle. I think any squat stance benefits from lifting shoes with the exception of an ultra wide stance. That's just what I think based off of personal anecdotes while trying to find my optimal stance though.

I don't think deads should ever be performed with lifting shoes though unless one is extremely advanced and using them to target a specific muscular weakness or form lapse.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#37]
A lifting shoe will help, I use a flatter shoe than most, so no problem with dead lifting in them, but still usually do deads barefoot.  I wear the for bench and ohp as well.  Having a flat consistent surface is important for power and safety.  It is a minor expense in the grand scheme of things.  Weight lifting is a long term game and the shoes, knee sleeves, belts, wraps etc are relatively very cheap compared to injuries and shitty health.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:59:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Adidas Power lifts for squats. Adidas Sambas for everything else.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:38:25 AM EDT
[#39]
tag for interest
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've had a pair for a year or so I picked up from the same place for $50.  I've had no complaints.  Other Inov8 shoes aren't terribly durable, or at least they weren't in the past, but no complaints with the fastlifts.

As far as the minimalists shoes go, I normally workout in Merrel or Inov8 "flats".  Both only have a few millimeters of rubber under foot.  That is for kettebells, rowing, running, etc.  I'll wear my fast lifts for anything with a barbell though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wear Inov 8 fast lift.. I bought two pairs online to very they would fit properly and returned the other

Amazon had a reallly good prove at the time, around 90

Thanks for the heads up!

I just ordered a pair at $75 and I figure it's worth to take a shot for that amount of money. I'll report back with my impressions after I get a few days of lifting in them. 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll be in the minority here, but I wear wrestling shoes.

I have been working on squatting to depth in them without needing plates or a board under my heels, and they are fantastic for deadlifting.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I lifted in chucks for years and loved them....I've recently switched over to work boots and I appreciate the ankle support and raised heel. The extra distance from the ground does make deads just a but tougher.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I lifted in chucks for years and loved them....I've recently switched over to work boots and I appreciate the ankle support and raised heel. The extra distance from the ground does make deads just a but tougher.
View Quote
Tell'n you boys, cowboy boots.  

Hit'em with crocodile for style points.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#44]

I have these but they are now discontinued :(

Great for Deadlifts, Squatting, and for Boxing/Ladder Drills
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#45]
I am hoping the lifting shoes will help with squat depth. I am not sure if it's ankle mobility, hip tightness, ham tightness or old age that is limiting me but I figure I'll give them a whirl. I figure if Mark Rippetoe suggests them, he must have a reason. I can always go back to barefoot or get some Chucks on the squat bar if I need to.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I am hoping the lifting shoes will help with squat depth. I am not sure if it's ankle mobility, hip tightness, ham tightness or old age that is limiting me but I figure I'll give them a whirl. I figure if Mark Rippetoe suggests them, he must have a reason. I can always go back to barefoot or get some Chucks on the squat bar if I need to.
View Quote
You can actually test it easy, put a 1" or 3/4" board under your heels and just put one plate on the bar, then mess around with where your feet are the most comfortable and try a deep squat.

It's a remedy for tight ankles, and it targets your quads more.

I actually dropped the weight a bit and have been working on squatting flat footed instead of with a board, I figured it would be better in the long run, but it makes it much harder for me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You can actually test it easy, put a 1" or 3/4" board under your heels and just put one plate on the bar, then mess around with where your feet are the most comfortable and try a deep squat.

I actually dropped the weight a bit and have been working on squatting flat footed instead of with a board, I figured it would be better in the long run, but it makes it much harder for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Tell'n you boys, cowboy boots.  

Hit'em with crocodile for style points.
View Quote
I only have one pair of cowboy boots and they have rubber soles, but I'll try it this week and post some vid for you.  I love being the most stylin' guy at the gym.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
I do extensive stretching on hips and ankles nearly every day.  Ankles are tough and I've found they have more effect on the squat than most other mobility problems (meaning more people have ankle problems than anything else).  Try the plate under the heel as mentioned, if it works (or even helps a bit) then get some shoes and start working some movement into those ankles.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top