Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2017 10:21:11 AM EDT
Most of my life my workouts have been for specific sports. The most dominant being boxing so, naturally, I had/have rather thin legs. I'm now at week 3 of my 5x5 and can feel the increase in strength, but will there be a physical change in quads and hamstrings? I'd assume so, just like any other muscle you work, but in the past I did a lot of isolated workouts so I'm used to how results are presented in that regard.

Also, this workout is amazing, I love the complex full body strength workouts. Once I hit 12 weeks I'll be looking for something that incorporates these types of lifts, but with a faster, less rest pace.

For the record I'm fully aware that 5x5 is designed first and foremost to make you stronger, this is a question in relation to the fact that worked muscles become stronger and grow in physical size in other workouts so, I should expect the same here, right?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely. I really doubt you will make it 12 weeks without having to buy new pants.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Absolutely. I really doubt you will make it 12 weeks without having to buy new pants.
View Quote

Oh, interesting.  As a joke I've been doing the workout in my rugby shorts, then I realized how well they work. Not to mention the socks help incredibly with dead lifts. I look like an idiot, but that's the cool part about having a home gym
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#3]
First off, 5x5 is a beginner level strength program and mass gains are not the priority. In an untrained(or relatively untrained) individual you will see some muscle development pretty early on, especially if they are lean. In people, like you from what it sounds like, that have trained in other capacities it may take some extra time to see an increase in size. This isn't bad though. You are laying the strength foundation for healthy long term growth. After you run the course of your 5x5 program I recommend re-evaluating your goals and choosing a program that meets those goals. What I tend to recommend is run your 5x5 program until that straight linear progression stops working then switch to 5/3/1. If you want more size more quickly I would run a cycle of 5/3/1 then for the next cycle of it add in the Boring But Big(5/3/1 BBB) modifier that adds in specific hypertrophy work.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First off, 5x5 is a beginner level strength program and mass gains are not the priority. In an untrained(or relatively untrained) individual you will see some muscle development pretty early on, especially if they are lean. In people, like you from what it sounds like, that have trained in other capacities it may take some extra time to see an increase in size. This isn't bad though. You are laying the strength foundation for healthy long term growth. After you run the course of your 5x5 program I recommend re-evaluating your goals and choosing a program that meets those goals. What I tend to recommend is run your 5x5 program until that straight linear progression stops working then switch to 5/3/1. If you want more size more quickly I would run a cycle of 5/3/1 then for the next cycle of it add in the Boring But Big(5/3/1 BBB) modifier that adds in specific hypertrophy work.
View Quote

This was all very insightful and helpful. I'll let it run for the full 12 weeks. I find myself benefiting from everything except the bench. My squats, deadlifts, barbell row, and overhead were not very impressive. Since the beginning I've seen improvement and more importantly form that seems to be getting better with each workout. Bench on the other hand is about 75lbs from my last max. I may have started too low in that regard.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Those sock are probably perfect for DL.

I have a genetic predisposition to have skinny bird legs. I stopped squatting & DL'ing for about a year due to some back issues. It didn't take long at all for me to start looking like the don't skip leg day memes, but 6 weeks back in and I'm already having some real problems fitting into my pants again. There are a couple pairs that would probably add about 75lbs to my squat if I could get into them
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#6]
AnvilUSMC has some excellent advice.

Due to operational requirements, I often have to take a week or more off.  If the layoff is long/hard enough, when I come back I go back to 5x5 until I'm back where I was before the break and back into 5/3/1 or similar.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I really appreciate all the feedback. Any other ideas, suggestions, or anything you think is relevant I'd be glad to listen.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This was all very insightful and helpful. I'll let it run for the full 12 weeks. I find myself benefiting from everything except the bench. My squats, deadlifts, barbell row, and overhead were not very impressive. Since the beginning I've seen improvement and more importantly form that seems to be getting better with each workout. Bench on the other hand is about 75lbs from my last max. I may have started too low in that regard.
View Quote

I wouldn't worry too much about starting your bench low. Most people's bench is ugly and they need a lot of help with form. There are a lot of guys that say "I used to be able to bench X plates, but now I can't because of my shoulders." I would take the time while it is so light to dial in your form.

One thing you may want to consider is posting some form check videos of your lifts to see if there is anything to improve/change now so you don't hit a wall later on. Plus our form needs to adapt to changes in our bodies like getting more muscle, losing fat, changes in mobility, etc.

Some good videos:

Bench Press Like a Beast! (The Ultimate How To Bench Video)

http://youtu.be/F5kB94frA5U

How to Bench Press, with Eric Spoto (722 lb ALL-TIME Raw World Record Holder)

http://youtu.be/hZPYTIPb2To
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wouldn't worry too much about starting your bench low. Most people's bench is ugly and they need a lot of help with form. There are a lot of guys that say "I used to be able to bench X plates, but now I can't because of my shoulders." I would take the time while it is so light to dial in your form.

One thing you may want to consider is posting some form check videos of your lifts to see if there is anything to improve/change now so you don't hit a wall later on. Plus our form needs to adapt to changes in our bodies like getting more muscle, losing fat, changes in mobility, etc.

Some good videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5kB94frA5U

http://youtu.be/F5kB94frA5U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZPYTIPb2To

http://youtu.be/hZPYTIPb2To
View Quote

Cool, I'll check them out. I think my bench form is pretty spot on. Very controlled decent and ascent, no bouncing, very inline with my shoulders and going straight up and not wavering toward a decline or incline type angle.

I'm planning to video the next workout, I want to see how I'm doing. I'm doing this program with two other guys so there is a free flow of information and feedback, but I'd like to see for myself.

ETA: I forgot, my 3x8 max was 205 and that was shortly before I started the 5x5 so, not a story about what I did in the 90's lol.

Also, my bench looks nothing like Soto's. Mines closer to NFL combine without crushing my chest.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I am by no means an expert, but I can tell you my personal experience.  I wouldn't just switch from 5X5 based on time, I would wait until you are plateaued before switching.  

I did 5X5 for 30 weeks, I plateaued 3-6 times on every exercise except dead lifts.  I tried 3X5 for a week or two, but it didn't suit me.  

I switched to 5/3/1 and am almost through my 3rd cycle (5 weeks per cycle).

This path, 5X5 until multiple plateaus and then 5/3/1 has worked well for me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cool, I'll check them out. I think my bench form is pretty spot on. Very controlled decent and ascent, no bouncing, very inline with my shoulders and going straight up and not wavering toward a decline or incline type angle.

I'm planning to video the next workout, I want to see how I'm doing. I'm doing this program with two other guys so there is a free flow of information and feedback, but I'd like to see for myself.
View Quote

Good stuff. Yeah I just started filming myself too. I trust my lifting partner, but I wanted to see for sure if everything was actually "good." I've learned some stuff that should be really helpful getting to the next level.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#12]
This thread cracks me up.

Donnie, in a few months your options for pants will go from everything (including super faggy skinny jeans) to almost nothing.  You'll walk into a store and go through 28 pairs of pants with some only reaching your knees before they get stuck. You'll end up buying pants based on quad diameter and you'll just fold over the extra acreage on the waist, because to get the quads to fit you bought size 42 for your 34" waist:

But it's OK, cuz those quads, bro.  Those quads.  Separate the men from the boys.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Donnie, in a few months your options for pants will go from everything (including super faggy skinny jeans) to almost nothing.  You'll walk into a store and go through 28 pairs of pants with some only reaching your knees before they get stuck. You'll end up buying pants based on quad diameter and you'll just fold over the extra acreage on the waist, because to get the quads to fit you bought size 42 for your 34" waist:

But it's OK, cuz those quads, bro.  Those quads.  Separate the men from the boys.
View Quote

That was funny, but I will say, in the end I'm trying to do meaningful and useful physical improvements.

Also, awesome Zeppelin reference in the avatar...... I started the Zeppelin thread last week.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#14]
If faster and less rest is what you're looking for

FREE STRENGTH PROGRAM: How I Set up My Linear Progression for the Past Decade
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If faster and less rest is what you're looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcr-JtlmtVc
View Quote

That had a lot of good info. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That was funny, but I will say, in the end I'm trying to do meaningful and useful physical improvements.

Also, awesome Zeppelin reference in the avatar...... I started the Zeppelin thread last week.
View Quote

I didn't see that.  Link?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zeppelin Thread
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I just talked to my buddy who is doing a similar workout and he said he went from squatting 135 to 235 in 5 months. Sounds cool to me, figure I'd share with the group.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I started Stronglifts and I only do 3x5 because I don't have time for the 5x5.  I have noticed changes in my hams.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I started Stronglifts and I only do 3x5 because I don't have time for the 5x5.  I have noticed changes in my hams.
View Quote

Can I ask what the difference is in time for you? I get it's 2 more, but does that really impact your day? I'm not being a dick, I'm curious.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Can I ask what the difference is in time for you? I get it's 2 more, but does that really impact your day? I'm not being a dick, I'm curious.
View Quote
I'm a really novice lifter so I started stronglifts from the beginning where it has you just lift the bar.  I'm about at 100lbs on most of the lifts.  Since I am a novice, I adhere to their recommendation of 90 seconds between sets.  The difference between 3 and 5 would be around 10 minutes.  I hit the treadmill and lift on my lunch hour.  I could fudge it a little depending on workload but I try to budget for 45-50 minutes.  That'll give enough time to stop sweating and change clothes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:57:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This thread is depressing me.

I haven't made any gains in strength or size in the last 12 months. Even worse, this year I've been regressing. I'm weaker now than I had been up until 6 weeks ago. Oh, well

Whining and venting. Disregard.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I haven't made any gains in strength or size in the last 12 months. Even worse, this year I've been regressing. I'm weaker now than I had been up until 6 weeks ago. Oh, well...
View Quote

Stan, I'm willing to bet 5 30 round Pmags (AKA felonies in your state) that you aren't eating enough.

Just because of your whining, I'm willing to send you a bag of wither whey or whey isolate powder to you, then you can report back after you've gotten some decent protein for a few weeks.  

Deal?  IM me your address, I'll have some sent to you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm a really novice lifter so I started stronglifts from the beginning where it has you just lift the bar.  I'm about at 100lbs on most of the lifts.  Since I am a novice, I adhere to their recommendation of 90 seconds between sets.  The difference between 3 and 5 would be around 10 minutes.  I hit the treadmill and lift on my lunch hour.  I could fudge it a little depending on workload but I try to budget for 45-50 minutes.  That'll give enough time to stop sweating and change clothes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, that makes sense. Keep at it!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Stan, I'm willing to bet 5 30 round Pmags (AKA felonies in your state) that you aren't eating enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wow. And to think that I almost didn't make that post because I figured it would be a waste of time.

I've been eating enough that my weight went from 133 lbs in March 2015, to 189 lbs this January.

I'll IM you an out-of-state address for you to send my Pmags.

Just because of your whining, I'm willing to send you a bag of wither whey or whey isolate powder to you, then you can report back after you've gotten some decent protein for a few weeks.

Deal?  IM me your address, I'll have some sent to you.

That's very generous of you, but I doubt that protein intake is my problem. For one thing, I've been eating double or triple servings of meat at most meals.

For another, I consumed a 6-lb bag of ON Gold Standard whey protein, with no apparent effect on either strength or muscle size.

(Nearly all of my weight increase during the last 12 months or so has been fat. I think that's because I'm unable to lift heavy enough to stimulate muscle growth.)

While I do greatly appreciate your offer, I'm sure it would be a complete waste of your $$ and time, so I cannot in good conscience accept it.

But, I sincerely thank you for making the offer. (And I'll try to refrain from whining again in the future. )
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well you staying weak but not whining is a half way there!  lol

Offer still stands.  It's pretty tough to gain without the stuff you need.  Good to hear you're getting more food at least.  Have you tried a Testosterone test yet?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Have you tried a Testosterone test yet?
View Quote

Yes. It tested low, but I still haven't decided. I'm hesitant to go for it, because prostate cancer runs in the family. My brother had it, as did my dad and two of his brothers.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey, while you are talking "enough food"--what is a good rule of thumb?

At 38,  6'0 180 lbs, I think I am eating about 3000 right now, and about my bodyweight in protein grams, and not really gaining...what would be a big enough jump to make a difference?  And does doing a different program (like 5-3-1) make a difference on that (less eating, slower progress, etc)
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hey, while you are talking "enough food"--what is a good rule of thumb?

At 38,  6'0 180 lbs, I think I am eating about 3000 right now, and about my bodyweight in protein grams, and not really gaining...what would be a big enough jump to make a difference?  And does doing a different program (like 5-3-1) make a difference on that (less eating, slower progress, etc)
View Quote

3000 was what I would have guessed not knowing anything but what you posted. A couple years ago I had a good run from about 215 to 235 over six months eating 3500-3700/day. I sit on my ass in an office all day and only lift 3 days a week though, so I think that figures in. Add 500 and see?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

haha yep....I remember after the first little while on 5x5...I remember the day I bent down and split my first pair jeans right in the ass.  

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but yes, you'll add mass.  I have added id say 25 pounds of muscle since starting 4 years ago, including about 17 pounds in the last 2.5 years, verified by bodpod tests.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol so true.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#32]
This article has some good info on rep ranges for squats(bodybuilding vs powerlifting):

https://www.t-nation.com/training/bodybuilding-vs-powerlifting-squat
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I haven't made any gains in strength or size in the last 12 months. Even worse, this year I've been regressing. I'm weaker now than I had been up until 6 weeks ago. Oh, well

View Quote

Every program works...until it doesn't.

Given some of your physical limitations, maybe consider trying something beyond straight linear programming.  Maybe it's focusing on some mobility work for a while or maybe it's doing more volume, or maybe it's working on a rep progression where instead of adding weight every week or two, you add reps to your sets or add a set (XXlbs for 3 sets of 5 >  XXlbs for 3 sets of 6 > XXlbs for 3 sets of 7, XXlbs+Ylbs for 3 sets of 3 >>>) and at some point all of us are going to stop getting stronger.  Then we are just fighting a rear guard retreat against the onslaught of time, but we'll erode more slowly than those who surrender.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:39:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Given some of your physical limitations, maybe consider trying something beyond straight linear programming.  Maybe it's focusing on some mobility work for a while or maybe it's doing more volume, or maybe it's working on a rep progression where instead of adding weight every week or two, you add reps to your sets or add a set (XXlbs for 3 sets of 5 >  XXlbs for 3 sets of 6 > XXlbs for 3 sets of 7, XXlbs+Ylbs for 3 sets of 3 >>>)...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given some of your physical limitations, maybe consider trying something beyond straight linear programming.  Maybe it's focusing on some mobility work for a while or maybe it's doing more volume, or maybe it's working on a rep progression where instead of adding weight every week or two, you add reps to your sets or add a set (XXlbs for 3 sets of 5 >  XXlbs for 3 sets of 6 > XXlbs for 3 sets of 7, XXlbs+Ylbs for 3 sets of 3 >>>)...

That's actually what I was doing for the year and a half prior to trying the 5x5 program. I returned to doing rep progression for my workouts about three weeks ago, but so far it hasn't made any difference. I seem to still be getting weaker.

...and at some point all of us are going to stop getting stronger.  Then we are just fighting a rear guard retreat against the onslaught of time...

Yeah, I guess that is my situation, now. Seems like every year something else goes wrong with my body. Most annoying. I had hoped to get strong enough to leave this nursing home and get back to independent living for a few years before the end. But, it's looking like that just ain't gonna happen.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

lol so true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol so true.

Not sure if serious, but considering I've had boxer legs my whole life, I'm looking forward to this "problem".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top