Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 10:21:02 PM EDT
Alright, maybe I am reading into a bit to many things with my research on whey ect but is anyone taking fish oil supplements? I have read pretty much nothing but good things on taking them and eating a bit more fish in my diet. I have seen the research behind the higher change of prostate cancer but that looks like those results were from people with VERY high amounts of what you get form taking fish oil.

I am considering picking up a bottle and taking it once a day. Anyone else?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
more and more studies keep pointing to no benefit but how well ere these studies controlled is the question
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#2]
They are subject to high rates of oxidation, but a lot of people take them.

I am currently going supplement free (except whey) for awhile, since I've had a few issues pop up around the same time I switched multivitamins and fish oil brands. I'm trying to eliminate the cause currently and the timing was about right for them to be a potential cause.

You can get your Omega 3's from eating fatty fish or certain seeds, I think flax and pumpkin seeds have them. You can also get your daily value from 1/4 cup of walnuts, basically a handful. The walnuts are a good choice because they won't give you fish burps. Nothing worse than running or lifting and burping up the taste of fish.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Look into Charles Poloquin and everything he says on fish oil.

Basically the modern diet has a jacked up ratio of omega 6's to omega 3's. Getting that ratio to where it should be is the goal. Taking one a day probably isn't going to slide the ratio to where we want it. Poloquin has advocated taking in excess of 30 grams of fish oil a day for those who need it. But ideally we'd get there just through proper nutrition. Basically any animal that eats corn has too much omega 6. That's the real reason you want grass fed or free range, so the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 is optimal vs corn finished/fed.

If you agree with him and the numbers then go from there.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
My knee ached constantly. Almost gone after I started the fish oil again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Fish oil is the oily thing keeping my cholesterol from going over 1300.

It works, get labs done.

I take prescription version.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's why I eat olive oil packed sardines several days per week for lunch instead of taking fish oil capsules.

Avoiding high Omega 6 sources like industrial seed oils, nuts with high polyunsaturated fat content (limits you to pretty much macadamia and coconut), and eating as much pastured/grass fed meats/dairy/eggs as you can will help with the 3:6 ratio.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:44:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am considering picking up a bottle and taking it once a day. Anyone else?
View Quote

I'm taking one capsule a day. Don't know if it's doing me any good. Only taking it because I got a jar of the stuff free.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My knee ached constantly. Almost gone after I started the fish oil again.
View Quote

This.

I only take vitamin D, fish oil and vitamin C
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am currently going supplement free (except whey) for awhile, since I've had a few issues pop up around the same time I switched multivitamins and fish oil brands. I'm trying to eliminate the cause currently and the timing was about right for them to be a potential cause.

You can get your Omega 3's from eating fatty fish or certain seeds, I think flax and pumpkin seeds have them. You can also get your daily value from 1/4 cup of walnuts, basically a handful. The walnuts are a good choice because they won't give you fish burps. Nothing worse than running or lifting and burping up the taste of fish.
View Quote

The OmegaEssentials from Popeyes has orange flavouring, so when you burp you taste oranges.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#10]
@H46Driver is right

Fix your diet to only use saturated fats, and monounsaturated fats. That means any of the animal fats and derivatives (lard, tallow, ghee, butter, etc.) and coconut oil, and olive oil. Use the saturated fats for cooking, and use the monounsaturated fats cold as dressing, etc.

Opt for grass fed over grain fed, wild caught fish over farm raised, free range (actual free range, like where the chickens move around) over penned. Eat more avocados, nuts/seeds (almonds, macadamia, flax or chia seeds), fish (fatty ones, like salmon), eggs, and beef.

Avoid any the hydrogenated PUFA (polyunsaturated fats) like vegetable oil, canola oil, etc...

Add fish or krill oil in on top of this to further tilt the Omega-6 to Omega-3 balance favorably.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@H46Driver is right

Fix your diet to only use saturated fats, and monounsaturated fats. That means any of the animal fats and derivatives (lard, tallow, ghee, butter, etc.) and coconut oil, and olive oil. Use the saturated fats for cooking, and use the monounsaturated fats cold as dressing, etc.

Opt for grass fed over grain fed, wild caught fish over farm raised, free range (actual free range, like where the chickens move around) over penned. Eat more avocados, nuts/seeds (almonds, macadamia, flax or chia seeds), fish (fatty ones, like salmon), eggs, and beef.

Avoid any the hydrogenated PUFA (polyunsaturated fats) like vegetable oil, canola oil, etc...

Add fish or krill oil in on top of this to further tilt the Omega-6 to Omega-3 balance favorably.
View Quote
Add avocado oil to your list of good fats.  Costco has reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Add avocado oil to your list of good fats.  Costco has reasonable prices.
View Quote

Yeah but it tastes absolutely disgusting
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah but it tastes absolutely disgusting
View Quote
I swig it from the bottle or put it on popcorn sometimes.  It has a mild flavor and a buttery mouth feel. 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I swig it from the bottle or put it on popcorn sometimes.  It has a mild flavor and a buttery mouth feel. 
View Quote

I tried using it as salad dressing and I just couldn't stomach it. I'm not a picky eater either.

MCT oil is another good supplement, you can use it in place of coconut oil in things like protein shakes or whatever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top