Posted: 2/17/2017 11:30:35 PM EDT
Got my dream job last week.

Don't start until May, but it has some heavy fitness requirements:

Mile and a half run under -10:00min

50+ Push ups in a min
50+ Sit ups in a min
15+ dead hang pull ups

That's just the minimum to get in,

Than its 5 weeks of serious running (24+ miles a week) and calisthenics.

I'm doing good with the calisthenics numbers, but my running is pathetic, I never was a runner, I have had no coaching and suffer from flat feet and plantar fasciitis.

I was making headway, and had my run time siting around 9:45, but now I've completely dropped off.

Honestly I'm just kinda venting at my own stupidity, I understand I've already basically set myself up for failure by dropping my running during the holidays but, I mean I really just want to spend the money and hire a professional to help me get back on track.

What does the fitness gurus of ARFCOM think?

(Anyone a good runner in the Pacific Northwest that wants a tag along?)
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
what kind of dream job has those requirements? 10 minute mile and a half??
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what kind of dream job has those requirements? 10 minute mile and a half??
View Quote

A very fitness orientated one that involves elite levels of team work and skill to protect the environment/public.

Edit: Not trying to provide a vague "cool guy" persona, It's just a small tight knit job field.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#3]
If I had to guess, I'd guess...wild fire fighter.  But that's just a shot in the dark.

Good luck to you, whatever you're headed into.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Best thing I can say, good luck. Without knowing your current stats for each march, its hard to suggest key things to help but for someone in so so shape, they would be HARD pressed to make those numbers within the time frame provided.

For running, I would recommend hitting a resistance bike once or twice a day and mix in running and jogging daily as well. Do long distances at high speed on the bike to help build endurance while running/ jogging shorter distances to build your legs ect.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#5]
1.5 mile in 10 min...

That sounds tough, good luck
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#6]
That's... a pretty stringent IST geared towards prior service it sounds like... 

I'm not super familiar with PF, but having put on a crap ton of weight being hit by the triple threat of IT band inflammation, stopping smoking, and ceasing drinking tons of Mt Dew, PF sounds liek a very related thing, just in the heel. (inflamed tendons that hurt like a bitch) 

Have you tried cycling at all? Reading about PF teh only way to tone it down or help outside of cortisone shots is to loosen and eventually stretch the tendons to relieve inflammation. When I was roadbiking a lot all my leg stuff was SUUUUPER limber.  Changing up exorcise to train around the PF while keeping from impacting it too much might help. Also it looks liek there are shoes you can get that are geared around having it, so if you haven't looked into that, might help. Other things I've seen include stretching and being cautions before walking when you wake up, stuff like that. 

Other thing to getting run times down fast, especially into what is shaping up to be a pretty quick time for a 1.5, is HIIT training like wind sprints. 

Looking at the minimum pace, it looks like to be on the safe side you need to set your training goal to be able to run a 6 minute mile.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Also, since you've already had the time under 10, its' not like starting from scratch, so that's good, and you have some time to get it back.  

Don't forget to hit the gym and lift a bunch,  weight training can help running as much as getting out and running can. Also if you don't have any already, might pick up a few cheap workout bands... the  things are amazing for stretching and working small muscles, which is what it sounds like you're in the need for. 

Where in the PNW are you? 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Test yourself, report back with your numbers.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Test yourself, report back with your numbers.
View Quote

This, get a baseline of where you're at.

And finding a trainer that knows WTF they're doing can be tough.

http://www.completehumanperformance.com/ though they're not cheap (cheaper than in person personal training, though)
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like you need to be running a few miles 5-6 days a week, and trying to shave seconds each time.

In college we had to do 45 minute intervals to simulate game play. Basically we would run around the facility with a timer set on 45 minutes. When the whistle blew you had to sprint, when it blew again you had to get back to a moderate pace.

What was interesting, is after doing that stuff our lap time and sprint time tended to both go up, it just trained work capacity.

Other than that though, I have no help. Now the only time I run is if something is chasing me (I just hate running, and this becomes apparent at paintball when I do a field long sprint and then need 2 minutes to recover)
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#11]
thats about a 6:40 min/mile pace.... have fun!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Personal Trainers are very effective if you have specific goals like that.. They are expensive though

I go three days a week and I believe I'm paying around $350 a month
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I could do that in high school. I was 135 lbs and ran daily.

Now I would probably vomit and crap myself if I tried it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That is a PT test designed to seek out Kenyan runners with a body weight of 115lbs.
View Quote
Right?
If you doubled the run and sit ups to a full usmc PFT, it would be a 213 which is first class over age 27, or high second class under 27. 
I mean, a 6:40 pace is easier to maintain over 1.5 miles than 3... but... it's still pretty quick for non-runners.  20 minute 3 miles (a 6:40 pace on the dot) was probably one of my better runs, and that was at 220, like 5% bodyfat, and a shredded beast.   (also sucked trying to do pull ups built like a T-Rex, skinny arms and giant legs) 

I'd probably puke and die trying to pull that off now. 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I had to guess, I'd guess...wild fire fighter.  But that's just a shot in the dark.

Good luck to you, whatever you're headed into.
View Quote

The pull ups made me think Smokejumper but for some reason I was under the impression that a ruck march type event was usually included in wildland PFTs.

I have nothing to add to the OP other than to say good luck!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Tested myself last night, (After not working out for a few weeks)

Push ups - 53

Sit ups - 48
(Wasn't fatigued, just couldn't get the right speed of reps)

Pull ups - 16 deadhangs

Causally Ran a mile and a half, just to get used to it again - 14:05

So, I'm not starting from complete scratch, I knew the running would be my biggest problem.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The pull ups made me think Smokejumper but for some reason I was under the impression that a ruck march type event was usually included in wildland PFTs.

I have nothing to add to the OP other than to say good luck!
View Quote

Don't worry, it's got some stringent Hiking requirements too,

45 lb. pack test for 3 miles in 45 minutes or less

110 lb. pack for 3 miles in 90 minutes or less

Luckily, I can hike pretty well once I establish a good pace (coast down hill, pull up hill)
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not that hard.  23.5 years in the Navy and I only ran slower than that twice.  Once in flight school when I was drinking a lot and the course was partially offroad with soft sand and one in the winter in Newport RI when it was blowing about 25 mph.  It's not like I was or am a little guy and it's not like running 6:40 for a 10K; it's 10 minutes.

OP - get yourself running 3 or 4 days per week, 4 is better.  1 hard day with 2-3 miles of 400-800M intervals on incomplete recovery plus a mile easy warmup and a half mile easy cooldown, 2 days of 3-4 miles moderate pace and 1 day of 5-6 miles easy. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow.  Curious minds want to know...what job has physical PT requirements that exceed all of our Tier 1 SMUs basic PT requirements for entry?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Running off road(sand,dirt, etc) will help your road running time.

Don't forget to add in some Sprints.   Look into a HIIT style work out.

Personal trainers are great in number but, the quality of many is very suspect.  I know a couple of people who were injured listening to their trainers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wow.  Curious minds want to know...what job has physical PT requirements that exceed all of our Tier 1 SMUs basic PT requirements for entry?
View Quote
I'm curious also. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Luckily, I can hike pretty well once I establish a good pace (coast down hill, pull up hill)
View Quote

Hmm, from what I know of myself:

50 pushups in 1 minute: no, but I could probably get here with training
50 situps in 1 minute: no (I have a long torso, takes me a long time to get up and down. I'd have to come up with a way to cheat form)
15 dead hang pullups: no way, most I could do right now is 12. maybe with training
10 minute 1.5 miles: not a chance, however if I trained up I could maybe accomplish this (been close before)
45 lbs 3 miles- easy
110 lbs 3 miles- would be hard, but I think I could do that too

If you paid me $100,000 to pass this test, I could probably train up for it. But my training would probably involve dropping weight and losing some muscle mass.  And do you have to maintain this at all times, or just pass it once?

I feel like you could get your running back with 1 month of good training.
-------------------------------
Check out this program.
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50934/5K-Intermediate-Training-Program
Now just reduce the distances by 1/2 - since you only need to do 1.5 miles. This guy has trained hundreds of champion runners.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A very fitness orientated one that involves elite levels of team work and skill to protect the environment/public.

Edit: Not trying to provide a vague "cool guy" persona, It's just a small tight knit job field.
View Quote

Sounds to "cool guy" oriented for my fitness abilities and knowledge
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm curious also. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm curious also. 

Forest Service Heli-Rappel Crew
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Forest Service Heli-Rappel Crew
View Quote

Wow, looked it up and that is the run time. I could do that, my PT test at work is similar. Our run min score is 12:00, max is 9:00. Plus pull-ups, sit-ups, and push-ups. We had a guy pushing 250 that smoked the test. Anybody is capable of almost anything with the right training and mindset.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like Smokejumper to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top