Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2017 7:25:19 PM EDT
I was doing some lateral plyo skiers and heard a pop and had some minor ankle pain. I stopped and tried to walk around a bit. It was a bit tender.

I'm getting some swelling and have some bruising on the inside of it. I've got some ice on it now, so go ahead and take me off your fantasy football teams. I'm guessing it's not a complete tear, since I can still flex and extend my foot. I know I've got a high pain tolerance, but full ruptures are supposed to put you down hard.

So what am I in for?

On a high note, before that, I PR'd with 3 sets of 5 reps back squat at 380.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I ruptured mine 25 years ago playing basketball.  It did not hurt.  Mine was a complete rupture.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Back in August I strained mine pretty good.  I was warming up before a workout doing some high knees in place and felt like someone snapped me with a rubber band just above the heel of my shoe.  I iced it up and went to see the Dr. that afternoon.  Scared the crap out of me and it was pretty tender for a few weeks, but I'm GTG now.  If it gets any worse, go see the Doc IMO.

ETA:  Doc said even if it wasn't a 100% tear, there would be no surgery.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, maybe not.  My calf and Achilles are feeling fine.  Of course I haven't gone to the doctor-who would do a silly thing like that!

Right now I'm thinking its a stress fracture.  Pain while putting pressure with my fingers on the bone around my Achilles, but no pain in extension or flexion.  The evidence does add up, instant pain that subsided that only reoccurs during strenuous activity.  Especially since I was doing high intensity plyo at the time.

At least now it could be diagnosed with an x-ray instead of an MRI.  I had one in the other leg in high school from soccer.  If I recall correctly, it was an easy recovery, but a relatively long one, at least for strenuous/heavy weight bearing activity.

I guess I'll actually have to go to a doc to find out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:30:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the exact same thing happen a couple years ago. Pop followed by stiffness and some pain. Never found out exactly what it was, but I assume a partial tear or something like that. I rested for a few weeks then very slowly worked back into it. Been good ever since.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:25:52 AM EDT
[#5]
That pop could have also been a ligament tearing elsewhere around your ankle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top