Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2017 7:38:15 PM EDT
I've been reading up on it the last couple of weeks after plateauing the last couple of month. Back ground on me; at 19 is weighed 118lbs and stood 5'11'' and started lifting and eating, by the time I was 24 I weighed 200lbs and was around 15% body fat. Life happens and I my gym time and fitness took a back seat. Last year around March I joined a gym and started back at it. I was 215lbs and 27% disgusting fat body. After a few months I was down to 190lbs and 20% fat belly. I hurt my wrist at work and took some time off, started drinking again and gained 8lbs back.

I've been hitting it hard again lifting in the morning 4-5 days a week and doing about an hour of cardio after work. I'm not seeing any progress other than a loss in muscle mass instead of belly fat. I'm eating fairly clean with maybe one soda here and there and some whiskey on Friday or Saturday night.

So after reading all the raves here, downloading the app and reading the website I started 5x5 this morning. I'm not sure if I started too heavy or too light but here was my workout this morning according to what the app told me to do. Typically I go heavy on the leg press (like most lazy people) doing between 400-425lbs for reps and squat 135 for 15-20 reps and bench 185 for reps.

Squat 5x5 70lb
Bench 5x5 80lb
Row 5x5 65lb

I'm excited to see whats going to happen over the next twelve weeks. I'm open to any advice as to what I'm doing wrong or right. If anyone cares to start the program and contribute to the thread please do so.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]

I'm right there with you, desk job and age took its toll on me and I went from being in pretty good shape to being a overweight couch potato.
I started 5X5 a few weeks ago, and I'm up to 150 on my squats.
It seems like starting light at first but adding 5lb each session adds up in a hurry.

Good to know im not the only person around here trying to get back into shape
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#2]
IMO you are doing it right, it will feel light for a while but it will start to add up fast.

I would recommend you do 5x5 until it gets too heavy/taxing/can't seem to recover (if nutrition is decent)....then switch to 3x5.

Then when 3x5 doesn't work.....

Then of course 5/3/1 or similar.  

I started with the bar on all lifts at age 38 or so with 5x5.  I am 43 now and barbells have been the best thing for me physically.  Once you have done it and really "get it" you will feel sorry for those who won't listen and do it the wrong way.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:29:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Starting light is smart.

That said, if you can legitimaty squat 135 for 20 reps with good form 70 may be too light.  
At that rate you could do the entire 5x5 at 70 with no rest or pause quite easy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO you are doing it right, it will feel light for a while but it will start to add up fast.

I would recommend you do 5x5 until it gets too heavy/taxing/can't seem to recover (if nutrition is decent)....then switch to 3x5.

Then when 3x5 doesn't work.....

Then of course 5/3/1 or similar.  

I started with the bar on all lifts at age 38 or so with 5x5.  I am 43 now and barbells have been the best thing for me physically.  Once you have done it and really "get it" you will feel sorry for those who won't listen and do it the wrong way.
View Quote

I'm there.  Are you saying do SL in 3x5 instead of 5x5?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I was doing 5x5 for about 2 weeks.  I ended up switching to 3x5 because I was running out of time for my workouts.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Just hammer it man. follow the app and progress as best you can.
Work on form while things are easy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

What are your lifts? And age/ht/wt?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this, and yes maybe.  I started 5x5 when I was 38, I did 5x5 while everything was light, and I started with the bar on all the lifts, except deads of course, that was 135.

Once it got pretty taxing, I went to 3x5.  

You can just start with 3x5 if you want though.  

I think frayedknot is getting at, if you are older maybe just start at 3x5?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:19:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let me make sure I get what you are saying....are you saying that you "are there" meaning 5x5 is too taxing?

If that is the case I would go to 3x5, and just make sure you are getting the proper warm up sets in for a little volume and practice on the movements.  

Are you warming up properly?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Did workout 2 on the 9th and workout 3 this morning. Most lifts are still feeling light and a bit awkward sometimes since they are so light. I do feel my squat form is becoming much better. I'm eating roughly 500 more calories a day with a increase in carbs but started taking hydroxycut to help cut the belly fat and I've lost 5lbs over the week. It doesn't feel like muscles loss and my stomach is noticeably slimmer. I feel good but in a way feel bad about not doing any cardio.

workout 2
Squat 5x5 75lb

OH Press 5x5 45lbs

Deadlift 1x5 95lb

Workout 3
Squat 5x5 80lb

Bench Press 5x5 85lb

Row
5x5 70lb
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Let me make sure I get what you are saying....are you saying that you "are there" meaning 5x5 is too taxing?

If that is the case I would go to 3x5, and just make sure you are getting the proper warm up sets in for a little volume and practice on the movements.  

Are you warming up properly?
View Quote

Yes on all those, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

6'0"

For 5 rep maxes:
250 DL
210 SQ
180 BN

Eating plenty...
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

6'0"

For 5 rep maxes:
250 DL
210 SQ
180 BN

Eating plenty...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6'0"

For 5 rep maxes:
250 DL
210 SQ
180 BN

Eating plenty...

You probably need to eat more. At 5'11' 190lbs I still feel my arms and legs are skinny, because they are. I would bump up the carbs and protein consumption if I were you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You probably need to eat more. At 5'11' 190lbs I still feel my arms and legs are skinny, because they are. I would bump up the carbs and protein consumption if I were you.
View Quote

Not sure how much more I can do! , averaging about 3000 calories and about 180g protein daily...plus doing Invisalign's, so eating is a pain in the ass.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

6'0"

For 5 rep maxes:
250 DL
210 SQ
180 BN

Eating plenty...
View Quote

Nope. You're not eating enough to keep growing/progressing on 5x5. You should be on track to gain 30-40 lbs if you want to continue 5x5.

Otherwise, do something less to maintain/slow progression, but 6' & 180 is still pretty skinny so I'm not sure how much more strength you can gain. Leverages work against you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top