Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2017 1:05:31 PM EDT
Anyone looked into this? I am looking into the process and costs associated, but would like to see if anyone has a practical experience with this and any advice/tips.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Look into ACSM or NASM. I prefer the latter.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
My sammich maker got her cert through ISSA last year.
Pretty good program and she is now a trainer for Anytime Fitness. She is finishing up her sports nutrition cert this week.
Each course is a few hundred bucks and will take you a few weeks. She is working towards her master cert.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I did the ISSA certification back when I was 19 and worked at Gold's Gym. Being a trainer is great - working in a chain gym is not.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did the ISSA certification back when I was 19 and worked at Gold's Gym. Being a trainer is great - working in a chain gym is not.
View Quote

This group of 5 anytimes she works for ain't bad compared to some of the other places but it still is not ideal. Would like to open our own place but $$$
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Whats the end game?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Whats the end game?
View Quote

Right now, I am a stay at home dad with a BSME and my PE. My wife is a pharmacist and works different shifts throughout the week(common for their profession). Once all of the kids are I'm school, I would like to do something that is flexible and enjoyable. I am at the gym every weekday anyway helping people and more than a few have asked me if I am certified. I would want to be independent so I didn't have set hours.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Right now, I am a stay at home dad with a BSME and my PE. My wife is a pharmacist and works different shifts throughout the week(common for their profession). Once all of the kids are I'm school, I would like to do something that is flexible and enjoyable. I am at the gym every weekday anyway helping people and more than a few have asked me if I am certified. I would want to be independent so I didn't have set hours.
View Quote

Working at Gold's Gym, I set my own hours and could change anything at any time. Basically, we kept a log with 2 weeks of estimated availability making sure we get our "regular" clients in the book at their normal times. When a new member would sign up for PT, the sales guys would look in the book and see who is available at the time the client wants. If you're available, you get the client. If not, you don't. We did have a required 30 min meeting each Monday.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I got an ISSA cert just for fun a couple years ago...no offense to anyone here but it was a joke. Basically a weekend's worth of work.

I've heard better things about some of the above certs, and I'd look into a CSCS too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got an ISSA cert just for fun a couple years ago...no offense to anyone here but it was a joke. Basically a weekend's worth of work.

I've heard better things about some of the above certs, and I'd look into a CSCS too.
View Quote

The NSCA is a great organization and puts on a lot of training. I got my TSAC-F and need to pick up the CSCS.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top