BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why? What part of eating less is hard for you? Are you eating too much food, the wrong foods, or both?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No still fat,
Why? What part of eating less is hard for you? Are you eating too much food, the wrong foods, or both?
All of the above right now.

I am just weak willed when it comes to food.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

All of the above right now.

I am just weak willed when it comes to food.
View Quote
Throw everything in your house with sugar or carbs in the trash. Give credit cards and money to someone you trust.

Eat bacon and butter.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
310 this morning.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't that your starting weight?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Isn't that your starting weight?
View Quote
it was either 310-312, but I think it's 310.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, this week all bets are off.

I'll post if I gained weight this week or not, I'll be busy walking.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Stop being fat
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:26:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Stop being fat
View Quote
I'll let you know how fat I got over vacation in the AM when I weight myself.

Tomorrow I start back at it, I'll ease myself in by counting calories, then in a few weeks i'll go keto again.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#10]
310.2 this morning.

All of that walking helped to keep the weight in check over this past week I have to assume.

Well, so far today I consumed 200 calories. I am not sure if I should keep it around 1400 or 1800 or between the two per day.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#11]
You have to find something to trip the switch in your brain to change your eating habits.

For me, it was coming to the realization that my kids will be out of the house soon, and I want to be around to see them become productive adults, get married, and (hopefully) have kids.

Lost another 7 lbs this month, down to 272, lost 34 lbs since December.  Have to go have my pants taken in.  They're starting to look silly on me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
310.2 this morning.

All of that walking helped to keep the weight in check over this past week I have to assume.

Well, so far today I consumed 200 calories. I am not sure if I should keep it around 1400 or 1800 or between the two per day.
View Quote
According to my doctor I was 265 on his scales at my highest a few years back (I'm 5'9") I didn't think I was that far over 250 but hey for awhile there I quit getting on the scale. ..

I'm 169 as of this morning ...I rode a roadbike for the past 2 years (almost 5,000 miles according to Strava) but I'd say that 80% of my weight loss was done in the kitchen..I can do 60-70 miles a week on the bike and GAIN weight if I slip up. When I say slip up I'm talking about going north of 1750-2000 calories.  I like to do a few rides/races during the Spring and Summer so I want to be about 160 for that.  The big "plateau breaker" for me?  I get my 1200-1300 calories in early and I quit eating after 3.  I go to bed a little hungry ..wake up good and hungry..eat, workout ..get a small snack for lunch and a decent meal before 3 (Today was a 510 calorie Jimmy John sub..most days its one of those low cal frozen meals) .   I will tell you this.  I won't win any bench press contests anytime soon but the wife loves my legs.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

According to my doctor I was 265 on his scales at my highest a few years back (I'm 5'9") I didn't think I was that far over 250 but hey for awhile there I quit getting on the scale. ..

I'm 169 as of this morning ...I rode a roadbike for the past 2 years (almost 5,000 miles according to Strava) but I'd say that 80% of my weight loss was done in the kitchen..I can do 60-70 miles a week on the bike and GAIN weight if I slip up. When I say slip up I'm talking about going north of 1750-2000 calories.  I like to do a few rides/races during the Spring and Summer so I want to be about 160 for that.  The big "plateau breaker" for me?  I get my 1200-1300 calories in early and I quit eating after 3.  I go to bed a little hungry ..wake up good and hungry..eat, workout ..get a small snack for lunch and a decent meal before 3 (Today was a 510 calorie Jimmy John sub..most days its one of those low cal frozen meals) .   I will tell you this.  I won't win any bench press contests anytime soon but the wife loves my legs.
View Quote
My wife keeps track of WHAT she eats as closely as how much.  She does crossfit three or four times a week, and is a 42 year old woman that weighs 135lbs.  She eats about 1700 calories a day and is still losing weight- slowly and properly.

Your intake is resetting your metabolism in a bad way, imo.  You want to be able to eat as much as possible and still meet your goals.  If you're eating 1200-1300/day your metabolism is so slow you don't have a lot of room left to work with.  I am 215lbs, trying to lose about 10lbs and am about 20-23% bodyfat now (lifting a lot of weights) and if I regularly get less than 2500-3000 calories a day I'll lose weight.  1200-1300 calories isn't enough nutrition, nevermind the calories.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You have to find something to trip the switch in your brain to change your eating habits.

For me, it was coming to the realization that my kids will be out of the house soon, and I want to be around to see them become productive adults, get married, and (hopefully) have kids.

Lost another 7 lbs this month, down to 272, lost 34 lbs since December.  Have to go have my pants taken in.  They're starting to look silly on me.
View Quote
Yep...I think what really put it into perspective was this past week was how wore out I felt while on vacation.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
310.2 this morning.

that's some good progress!
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My wife keeps track of WHAT she eats as closely as how much.  She does crossfit three or four times a week, and is a 42 year old woman that weighs 135lbs.  She eats about 1700 calories a day and is still losing weight- slowly and properly.

Your intake is resetting your metabolism in a bad way, imo.  You want to be able to eat as much as possible and still meet your goals.  If you're eating 1200-1300/day your metabolism is so slow you don't have a lot of room left to work with.  I am 215lbs, trying to lose about 10lbs and am about 20-23% bodyfat now (lifting a lot of weights) and if I regularly get less than 2500-3000 calories a day I'll lose weight.  1200-1300 calories isn't enough nutrition, nevermind the calories.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I think I will need to bump it up some when I get back in the gym. Not this week though, I have some type of virus/bug giving me a low grade fever.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:04:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I see people eating more than me and losing weight and I think WTF? But it seems to be the only thing that works...I can usually find a lot of food for my calories as well.  Panda Express Broc Beef with Mushroom Chicken over veggies is only about 400cal..That's a buttload of food that will keep me full for hours ..at home I eat a lot of salads though...I occasionally have something fun to eat as long as I get a really small portion.

almost 6 years ago I took this pic at a Wal-Mart pharmacy ..priority one became getting the weight down and worryng about the rest later.

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:33:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah I see people eating more than me and losing weight and I think WTF? But it seems to be the only thing that works...I can usually find a lot of food for my calories as well.  Panda Express Broc Beef with Mushroom Chicken over veggies is only about 400cal..That's a buttload of food that will keep me full for hours ..at home I eat a lot of salads though...I occasionally have something fun to eat as long as I get a really small portion.

almost

6 years ago I took this pic at a Wal-Mart pharmacy ..priority one became getting the weight down and worryng about the rest later.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/Voodoochile65/bp1_zpsogerb6bl.jpg
View Quote
I know what you mean.  I used to laugh at my friend/coworker and tell him if I ate like him I'd be huge, if he ate like me he'd be dead, I was tubby and ate about 1500/day and he was much thinner and ate everything he wanted.  Both of us are the same age with similar lifestyles.

Turned out the truth was right in front of me, his metabolism was faster partially because he ate a lot.  I'm now up to a pretty constant 1000-1200 calories a day more than I used to eat and have far less bodyfat and it's fairly easy to lose weight by simply cutting carbs.  When I hit my 425x4 squat last december I decided it was time to lose some weight so I just cleaned up the diet a bit and dropped 20lbs really fast.  I'm no longer losing weight, but I'm still re-comping really well- at 2500+ calories.  I dn't keep too close of track simply because I don't care that much, but when I'm eating what the wife makes I drop fat pretty well.  She measures every gram she eats and eat anything she wants, but not everything she wants.  She nails her goal macros every day, 30% carbs, 30% fat and 40% protein.  If she wants a rice krispy treat smothered in neutella, it's fine- but that's all the carbs she gets all day.  She finds that's not worth it so her quality of food is a lot better than that, and that drags up my intake quality as well.

Anyway- I think you'll be a lot healthier in the long run if you can allow yourself to eat more and increase the metabolism.  I'm not sure what the best way is, I ate like a pig for a year and gained 35lbs, then it slowly reset and the fat started dropping off and as I lifted weights I kept the muscle.  My wife stalled a few weeks ago on her weight loss so increased her carb intake and started losing again.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:42:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Have you tried picking heavy things up and putting them back down, not eating carbs and stopping being fat?

I don't think fasting and low calories are a bad thing unless you try and force it. If you eat good quality nutrient dense food with lots of fat and protein you may have days where you eat 0-500 calories without even realizing it. If you have to make the decision to not eat you probably need to eat some fat and protein.

I end up making myself eat most of the time. I'm doing like a slow keto bulk. Lift 3 days a week, some cardio when i feel like it, try for 3k calories a day less than 50 grams of carbs, more than 120 grams of protein and lots of fat.

I tend to actually eat less on lifting days. Rest days are when you actually use up all the protein to build more muscle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:46:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Have you tried picking heavy things up and putting them back down, not eating carbs and stopping being fat?

I don't think fasting and low calories are a bad thing unless you try and force it. If you eat good quality nutrient dense food with lots of fat and protein you may have days where you eat 0-500 calories without even realizing it. If you have to make the decision to not eat you probably need to eat some fat and protein.

I end up making myself eat most of the time. I'm doing like a slow keto bulk. Lift 3 days a week, some cardio when i feel like it, try for 3k calories a day less than 50 grams of carbs, more than 120 grams of protein and lots of fat.

I tend to actually eat less on lifting days. Rest days are when you actually use up all the protein to build more muscle.
View Quote
that's the goal for next week. This week I thought I was going to die at one point, I think I have SARS or someshit.

But I have been sticking to keeping the calories under 2,000 a day and I am down to 305.5. So, at least I am heading in the right direction.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
hop on keto for a bit.
you got this.
View Quote
This is the answer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#22]
303.6 this morning and that's after eating a little too much this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I might come across as a dick here, but it sounds to me like you just don't really want it.  

Forget motivation and excuses like vacations and other such nonsense.  
If you want it bad enough you will win the war on fat with concistancy and discipline.  
At 300 lbs you can likely lose significant weight at like 2500 kcal a day.  

Are you restricting too much?  Serious question.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:33:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I might come across as a dick here, but it sounds to me like you just don't really want it.  

If you want it bad enough you will win the war on fat with concistancy and discipline.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think I am restricting too much and I am currently loosing weight. So far so good. I'll start at the gym next week when I can breathe better.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#25]
302.8 this morning, still dropping the weight. So far so good.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I didnt get to read everything but Ill throw in a few tips.
Learn what each macro does for you. (carbs, protein, fats) and also learn about nutrients, vitamins especially fiber.
Then when you look at your plate ask yourself why you are eating what you are or how your body will react to it.
I had salmon and broccoli the other day. salmon was good fats, high protein the broccoli was good fiber. They all met a goal I had.
When you look at sweets etc and you understand what your body will do with it, for me, makes it easier to turn it down or eat healthier.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I almost forgot about this thread.

I am still slowly moving on a downward trajectory.....today's weighin was 255......from 271.  I have started to ramp up my jogging......I want to get in the 240s......even if it is 249.9!

Looks like you are still moving in the right direction.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I almost forgot about this thread.

I am still slowly moving on a downward trajectory.....today's weighin was 255......from 271.  I have started to ramp up my jogging......I want to get in the 240s......even if it is 249.9!

Looks like you are still moving in the right direction.
View Quote
congrats on your progress!

Yep...being sick the past 3 weeks I didn't want to get into the gym and make it worse. Hopefully next week will be better.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yep...being sick the past 3 weeks I didn't want to get into the gym and make it worse. Hopefully next week will be better.
View Quote
As a former fattie, I can tell you that you don't want it. If you wanted it, you'd be killing it right now. Losing weight when you're 300lbs is stupid easy. You'd be down 20+lbs and going to the gym unless you were actually dying. Either commit to it or just realize you're lying to yourself. This bouncing back and forth just makes it more difficult to actually do it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
As a former fattie, I can tell you that you don't want it. If you wanted it, you'd be killing it right now. Losing weight when you're 300lbs is stupid easy. You'd be down 20+lbs and going to the gym unless you were actually dying. Either commit to it or just realize you're lying to yourself. This bouncing back and forth just makes it more difficult to actually do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I literally have trouble breathing from the bronchitis/pneumonia right now. I'f I don't get better by the weekend I am going to the ER.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes, I literally have trouble breathing from the bronchitis/pneumonia right now. I'f I don't get better by the weekend I am going to the ER.
View Quote
You know what the maximum effective distance of an excuse is, right?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'm going to the gym when I can't breath and coughing non stop. Solid Plan.

I'm keeping my calories in check and losing weight I just haven't gone to the gym.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm going to the gym when I can't breath and coughing non stop. Solid Plan.

I'm keeping my calories in check and losing weight I just haven't gone to the gym.
View Quote
You don't have to go to the gym. Go walk. Do anything. You have to make a habit of being active.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You don't have to go to the gym. Go walk. Do anything. You have to make a habit of being active.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you there. I did a lot of walking last week. 3 miles a day avg I think. the Iphone said more, but I don't beleive it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I agree with you there. I did a lot of walking last week. 3 miles a day avg I think. the Iphone said more, but I don't beleive it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277411/image1-191451.JPG
View Quote
That was last week. This is Thursday of this week.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277411/image1-191451.JPG
Did you miss the part where I have been running a fever until a day or two ago since I got back from Vacation?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Did you miss the part where I have been running a fever until a day or two ago since I got back from Vacation?
View Quote
But did you die?

Look dude. I'm not going to argue with you. This is your accountability thread. You either want to be accountable for losing 3lbs in 3 months or you don't. If you don't, change your title to something about not really wanting to lose weight and loving to make excuses.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
But did you die?

Look dude. I'm not going to argue with you. This is your accountability thread. You either want to be accountable for losing 3lbs in 3 months or you don't. If you don't, change your title to something about not really wanting to lose weight and loving to make excuses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But did you die?

Thanks for the inspiration!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm really not trying to be an asshole, but that's the mindset you need to have. Set a goal, stick with it, and don't let anything get in your way. This has to be a change in the way you live your life. Even the easiest methods aren't easy to stick with. You just have to do it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm really not trying to be an asshole, but that's the mindset you need to have. Set a goal, stick with it, and don't let anything get in your way. This has to be a change in the way you live your life. Even the easiest methods aren't easy to stick with. You just have to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, the hardest part is change.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But did you die?

Being held accountable isn't always about "that's ok, sugar, maybe tomorrow." Sometimes tough love is needed. Drill sergeants don't motivate recruits by accepting excuses and throwing pity parties, and if you're prone to making excuses, you don't need motivated like that either. You're either serious about losing weight and being held accountable, or you're the fat kid saying calories don't count on your birthday, or on vacations, or on special Tuesdays and bank holidays.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#42]
And I thought I was being the asshole.  

If you want it bad enough you will achieve it.  

At more than three months in, you could have dropped close to 30 lbs by now safely considering you started at 310.  
The yoyoing and excuses to go off track will get you nowhere.  
You need to learn to make better choices even in social situations.  

Go all in or go home and eat a tub of ice cream and a box of cookies.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Being held accountable isn't always about "that's ok, sugar, maybe tomorrow." Sometimes tough love is needed. Drill sergeants don't motivate recruits by accepting excuses and throwing pity parties, and if you're prone to making excuses, you don't need motivated like that either. You're either serious about losing weight and being held accountable, or you're the fat kid saying calories don't count on your birthday, or on vacations, or on special Tuesdays and bank holidays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But did you die?

that's what I am working on. I thought I have been doing better. Albeit not up to the standards of this forum, But I don't find I am regressing since I am able to keep the calories in check.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:40:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

that's what I am working on. I thought I have been doing better. Albeit not up to the standards of this forum, But I don't find I am regressing since I am able to keep the calories in check.
View Quote
Calorie counting is just one fairly useless step when you first start out, especially at the weight you're starting at. Stop counting the calories. Seriously. Just stop.

Look at what you're putting in your mouth, not how much. As another poster said, ask what your food is doing for you. What nutrients does it provide? Is it the most effective way to obtain those nutrients? What other benefits does it provide? What are some drawbacks to it?

For instance, let's look at that bag of cookies from your trip. What nutrients did it provide? Likely none besides simple, grain and sugar derived carbs, which are detrimental to your stated goal. What benefit did it have? It was tasty and portable. What drawbacks did it have? Well, detrimental to your goal, for one. Full of processed crap, for another.

What would have been a healthier alternative? Sunflower seeds, non-sugary beef jerky, pre-cooked bacon strips, carrots, celery, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, pecans, cashews, etc. Those are all relatively low-carb, nutritious, portable snack items, and with the exception of the seeds and nuts, something that is either calorically dense but slow to digest, or nutritionally dense but containing few calories, so you can eat until you're stuffed and only barely have consumed a single portion serving. Instead, you chose a calorically dense snack devoid of any real nutritional value that would leave you hungry again with a few minutes.

It's ok to give yourself a cheat day once in a while AFTER healthy patterns are established. But if you've lost only 3 pounds in 3 months, you're cheating more days than you're not, and while you may be keeping to your calorie restrictions, they clearly aren't helping you meet your goals. So stop focusing on the numbers and reassess your strategy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:32:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Calorie counting is just one fairly useless step when you first start out, especially at the weight you're starting at. Stop counting the calories. Seriously. Just stop.

Look at what you're putting in your mouth, not how much. As another poster said, ask what your food is doing for you. What nutrients does it provide? Is it the most effective way to obtain those nutrients? What other benefits does it provide? What are some drawbacks to it?

For instance, let's look at that bag of cookies from your trip. What nutrients did it provide? Likely none besides simple, grain and sugar derived carbs, which are detrimental to your stated goal. What benefit did it have? It was tasty and portable. What drawbacks did it have? Well, detrimental to your goal, for one. Full of processed crap, for another.

What would have been a healthier alternative? Sunflower seeds, non-sugary beef jerky, pre-cooked bacon strips, carrots, celery, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, pecans, cashews, etc. Those are all relatively low-carb, nutritious, portable snack items, and with the exception of the seeds and nuts, something that is either calorically dense but slow to digest, or nutritionally dense but containing few calories, so you can eat until you're stuffed and only barely have consumed a single portion serving. Instead, you chose a calorically dense snack devoid of any real nutritional value that would leave you hungry again with a few minutes.

It's ok to give yourself a cheat day once in a while AFTER healthy patterns are established. But if you've lost only 3 pounds in 3 months, you're cheating more days than you're not, and while you may be keeping to your calorie restrictions, they clearly aren't helping you meet your goals. So stop focusing on the numbers and reassess your strategy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we want to talk about specific diets, keto works the best hands down for. It keeps all my labs and Type II in check.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:16:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If we want to talk about specific diets, keto works the best hands down for. It keeps all my labs and Type II in check.
View Quote
Then do it. No excuses, no equivocations, no justifications.

What are you waiting for?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#47]
do you have any goals set? I always try and keep the following goals:
short (daily or that week)
medium (1-3 months out)
long (3-6 months out)

do you have any? if not make them. then come up with a plan how you will hit that short one first.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
But everyone in GD gets made at me when I do this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

But everyone in GD gets made at me when I do this.
View Quote
But you're a meanyhead!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

But you're a meanyhead!
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top