Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/29/2016 10:45:18 PM EDT
I stick to a set routine weekly, monday chest, tuesday back, shoulders, arms and then legs subsequently. What I am starting to find is that on back day i start to get a really tight middle back portion normally after completing the cable rows and bent over barbell rows. Squat day also gives me a little tightness that i can normally foam roll out.  

My routine starts as follows:

6-7 sets of 10, wide grip lat pulldown on cable. ending at roughly 270#
same  for cable rows.
5x10 single arm bent over rows ending at 105#
5x10 alternating grip "reverse pull ups"
4x10 light barbell rows up to roughly 175#
5x10 assisted alternating grip pull ups.

I think my weak link is my middle to lower back. Aside from good mornings is there anything I'm missing in my routine that can help strengthen this middle back to where there's not a constant ache to it through my workout?

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see any deadlift.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Dead lifts on sundays..... the most ive ever pulled was 515.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dude, you read happygobasher's posts... He doesn't need deadlifts.

In all seriousness, I agree, where are the DLs?

Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected. Sounds like you do something similar to myself... I have a ME DL day, and really don't train much else on that day.

I was having this issue a while back in a thread I posted. I feel like my lower back was a limiting factor in a lot of the volume in my training.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe not resting your back enough?

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I stand corrected. Sounds like you do something similar to myself... I have a ME DL day, and really don't train much else on that day.

I was having this issue a while back in a thread I posted. I feel like my lower back was a limiting factor in a lot of the volume in my training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't say I read it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure. That's why I'm asking lol. This is a developing issue only starting in the last month or so
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm not sure. That's why I'm asking lol. This is a developing issue only starting in the last month or so
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try deficit deadlifts and back extensions. GoOD for the lower back.

Deadlifts are great but different variations really help with different muscle groups.

I also like rack pulls starting at a height that males my start point about 30% through a normal pull.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I train DL on Tuesday night and squats on Friday night. I train the rest of my back on Saturday, so there is a fair amount of rest in there. I found my lower back was getting its ass kicked with squat, back, and DL volume and quite a bit of running mileage on top of that.

I would consider stacking some of the back volume. You can probably achieve the volume you want, it just needs to be rearranged to allow ample time to recover before the next demanding workout.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:57:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Deadlifts are great but different variations really help with different muscle groups.

I also like rack pulls starting at a height that males my start point about 30% through a normal pull.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is a rack pull?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What is a rack pull?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is a rack pull?

You basically use a squat rack to makeep your start point higher than normal. Usually you have the weight on the ground,when you use the rack you can start at various heights which otherwise would be a different point in a standard pull. I am a big fan f rack pulls. I hit a plateau on DL at 405 started rack pulls and am now up to 500 on standar DL

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I stick to a set routine weekly, monday chest, tuesday back, shoulders, arms and then legs subsequently. What I am starting to find is that on back day i start to get a really tight middle back portion normally after completing the cable rows and bent over barbell rows. Squat day also gives me a little tightness that i can normally foam roll out.  

same  for cable rows.

I think my weak link is my middle to lower back. Aside from good mornings is there anything I'm missing in my routine that can help strengthen this middle back to where there's not a constant ache to it through my workout?

View Quote

It may be you're overdoing it, especially if you are also deadlifting and squatting heavy.  Your CNS may be a little tapped and need some recovery time.  You also may want to switch things up some and not do the same things over and over again.  I have found that sometimes your body is trying to tell you something, and you're gonna pay if you don't listen.

As far as strengthening that part of the back, I like reverse hypers, which I jury rig with a band and a GHD.  Also back banded back extensions on a GHD.  Also cable/banded pull throughs.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Would rack pulls be better than Romanians to improve his lower back?  I really don't know on this one and would like to understand it better.

My understanding of the two lifts is that rack pulls work back with upper back/traps being the main emphasis.  Romanians work the lower back, hams, and glutes.

So which would be better for lower back?  I add in Romanians simply because my initial pull is my weak spot, but I am interested in more knowledge on the two lifts.

Edit:  Just visualizing the two, I'm guessing the rack pull is better.  Not completely sure though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Would rack pulls be better than Romanians to improve his lower back?  I really don't know on this one and would like to understand it better.

My understanding of the two lifts is that rack pulls work back with upper back/traps being the main emphasis.  Romanians work the lower back, hams, and glutes.

So which would be better for lower back?  I add in Romanians simply because my initial pull is my weak spot, but I am interested in more knowledge on the two lifts.

Edit:  Just visualizing the two, I'm guessing the rack pull is better.  Not completely sure though.
View Quote

Rack pulls are going to emphasize your upper back.  And they allow you to pull more weight.  I can pull well over 600 from the rack/blocks.  They helped me increase my over all pull and strength.

RDLs aren't a substitute for rack pulls, they are basically an accessory. Sometimes I do them with dumbbells.

The opposite of rack pulls are going to be deficit pulls, which are going to emphasize the lower back and help build that initial pull.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I pulled something in my rhomboids last winter doing weighted pullups.

A member here recommend I put a bar in the rack at 135, then just pick it up like the top of a deadlift, but relax everything and just hold there.

It's a good stretch all through the middle back, and fixed me right up. I still get a little tight in there occasionally, but usually the back knobber can find a knot and work it out.

My work is hard on those muscles, they get pretty beat up some days.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Rack pulls are going to emphasize your upper back.  And they allow you to pull more weight.  I can pull well over 600 from the rack/blocks.  They helped me increase my over all pull and strength.

RDLs aren't a substitute for rack pulls, they are basically an accessory. Sometimes I do them with dumbbells.

The opposite of rack pulls are going to be deficit pulls, which are going to emphasize the lower back and help build that initial pull.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

Are you saying RDLs are an accessory for deadlifts?  That is how I have been doing them, but I also have considered rack pulls to be an accessory to deadlifts.  Thinking about it, they could be there own lift more than Romanians could be.  Racks being the accessory to help with the upper part of a deadlift and Romanians to help with the initial pull.

Not sure how deficit pulls fit into the scheme of things, I assume they help with the initial pull as well?  Are they a stand alone lift or accessory?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It may be you're overdoing it, especially if you are also deadlifting and squatting heavy.  Your CNS may be a little tapped and need some recovery time.  You also may want to switch things up some and not do the same things over and over again.  I have found that sometimes your body is trying to tell you something, and you're gonna pay if you don't listen.

As far as strengthening that part of the back, I like reverse hypers, which I jury rig with a band and a GHD.  Also back banded back extensions on a GHD.  Also cable/banded pull throughs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

same  for cable rows.

I've thought about changing my whole routine. This may be why I'm not hitting 315 on the bench yet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks!

Are you saying RDLs are an accessory for deadlifts?  That is how I have been doing them, but I also have considered rack pulls to be an accessory to deadlifts.  Thinking about it, they could be there own lift more than Romanians could be.  Racks being the accessory to help with the upper part of a deadlift and Romanians to help with the initial pull.

Not sure how deficit pulls fit into the scheme of things, I assume they help with the initial pull as well?  Are they a stand alone lift or accessory?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

I'm saying that in the programs I've done, RDLs aren't programmed every week.  When they are, they are usually light weight, high reps.  I can recall only once going heavy on those.  Sometimes with DBs.  I think they're great as a recovery and a mobility movement.  

Rack pulls I've had programmed weekly in a program, usually with varying heights.  Sometimes 13".  Sometimes 18".  Or just prescribed as just below the knee - or just above the knee.  Pulling heavy from a bunch of different heights helped me a lot.  This is also helpful for strongman training because you are faced with different pull heights.

With deficits, in my current program we've only done them once every month or so, and it's been reps of 10 or 20.  In my prior program, they were programmed in as a change of pull height.  So probably once every other month or so.  Heavy weight from a 4" platform.

I'm not smart enough to design my own program, so I just follow something I trust that fits with my goals.  But those are my experiences with those particular lifts.  You can't fit every thing that is good and helpful in every week - or even every other week.  Just not enough time, and not enough CNS available.  A good program is going to switch some things up as you go.

The toughest thing for me to learn in strength and strongman training, is that less is usually more.  The biggest rookie mistake made is doing too much.  BTDT.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

same  for cable rows.

I agree on the overdoing it... sometimes its not about what you do... its about what you don't do.

As SCW pointed out to me a few months ago, the back is involved in the stabiliization of everything else, so if you have a back day, a heavy DL day, and a heavy squat day you are taxing your back A TON and it gets very little recovery.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:29:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Halting deads and rack pulls let you train the full range of motion without the utter devastation caused by full deads.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Did shoulder day yesterday and the back was not as tight as it has been. I have been foam rolling.  Arm day today felt good.

I prolly will take at least 3-4 days off to recover and then try to come up with a new program as ive plateaued at 280 on the flat bench.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Did shoulder day yesterday and the back was not as tight as it has been. I have been foam rolling.  Arm day today felt good.

I prolly will take at least 3-4 days off to recover and then try to come up with a new program as ive plateaued at 280 on the flat bench.
View Quote

Maybe try something different on bench.

Try doing 10x10 at 185.

Or, I did this morning:

10-1
bench at 185#
BW dips

After each round, 6 incline pushups

So, sets of 10, 9, 8, 7 . . .
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I really like the JTS 3/2/1 hack of 5/3/1.

I've recently started hitting my programmed sets, then working up to a heavy single, double or triple. Followed by a heavyish 3x5 or 5x3. Then a drop set of 225x15 or 225x10x3.

I started this probably because I'm ADHD and it provides some variety over the BBB template. However, I think my bench is responding well to the heavier volume and am curious if this will work with squats/deads.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I really like the JTS 3/2/1 hack of 5/3/1.

I've recently started hitting my programmed sets, then working up to a heavy single, double or triple. Followed by a heavyish 3x5 or 5x3. Then a drop set of 225x15 or 225x10x3.

I started this probably because I'm ADHD and it provides some variety over the BBB template. However, I think my bench is responding well to the heavier volume and am curious if this will work with squats/deads.

View Quote

I don't know about squats. But heavy low rep deads work best for me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's been my approach in the past but I've been around 475 for a while now. Some of it is because of inconsistency, but I think it's time to try adding some volume to get my grip strength moving again. Or I'm ADHD and trying to justify change.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's been my approach in the past but I've been around 475 for a while now. Some of it is because of inconsistency, but I think it's time to try adding some volume to get my grip strength moving again. Or I'm ADHD and trying to justify change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just do double overhand until I can't do it anymore that had really helped mine.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I did a light back day today. Just reps like hell. Lat pulls narrow and wide. Cable rows and then leaning back while loaded on the cable going horizontal then back up. That helped a lot and for a decent pump out of it. Banged out a few straight leg deads at 135 and it seems to loosen me up.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:42:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Not engaging the lats enough and overworking other muscles that should be ancillary on those lifts.

Drop the weights and focus on getting a good mind-muscle connection to the lats and then go back to it working the weight up slowly
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:48:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats enough.    
weak abs/core?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thats enough.    
weak abs/core?
View Quote

Can you explain this a little further? I'm confused.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Probably too much volume. When I was younger my back was by far my best feature. Slabs of muscle everywhere and crazy vascularity considering I was only kind of lean. I was really hammering the volume and it did catch up to me eventually, years of injuries coming out of nowhere. Bent over rows, rack pulls, and high pulls were my bread and butter. Now I split my back volume into two days and I stick mainly to chin/pullup variations and various supported rows with deadlifts and rack pulls added in. My back is bigger, stronger, and healthier. If you're squatting, deadlifting, and also doing high back volume that required a lot of time under tension to stabilize (bent over rows), then you're probably frying a few different stabilizer muscles from frequent use with not enough rest. If there is anything I've learned in 10+ years it's that simple works and while most of the time more is more, when it comes to the back I think less can definitely be more. The upper back can handle a lot of volume and I find it necessary to do so to balance out pressing, but the middle and lower back don't need quite as much IMHO if you're squatting and deadlifting.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I skipped heavy deadlifts and squats this weekend. Worked on back extensions and core movements. It seems to be not hurting as much. I will skip heavy lifts for one more week to see if this remedies the situation.

On a side note i have a new one rep max of 320 now. Now to rep that shit out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Can you explain this a little further? I'm confused.
View Quote

with everything you listed about your lifts and your deadlift strength, it just doesnt seem to be your back strength causing the issue.   Im a little late on the response and it looks like you are making adjustments to try out.     I just thought maybe you have a neglected core because your back definitely isnt weak.  too much volume like someone said could be it too.  

I used to have a LOT of middle back pain when i was lifting my heaviest.   weighted chins with 2 plates while weighing 255 lbs, i could deadlift 5 plates for 9 or 10, and did everything in the gym for back I could.  this was after working in a factory all day on top of it.

Im very religious about doing the exercises for core that someone here posted by a back doc, or surgeon.  They have helped me more than anything ive ever read.   Someone could probably point you to that because I cant remember where I found it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

with everything you listed about your lifts and your deadlift strength, it just doesnt seem to be your back strength causing the issue.   Im a little late on the response and it looks like you are making adjustments to try out.     I just thought maybe you have a neglected core because your back definitely isnt weak.  too much volume like someone said could be it too.  

I used to have a LOT of middle back pain when i was lifting my heaviest.   weighted chins with 2 plates while weighing 255 lbs, i could deadlift 5 plates for 9 or 10, and did everything in the gym for back I could.  this was after working in a factory all day on top of it.

Im very religious about doing the exercises for core that someone here posted by a back doc, or surgeon.  They have helped me more than anything ive ever read.   Someone could probably point you to that because I cant remember where I found it.
View Quote

Stuart McGill?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Stuart McGill?
View Quote

That's who I thought of too.

Isn't most of his stuff intended to resist excessive movement of the back?  Like one-armed bench, rows and the like to strengthen the ability to push-pull without putting the strain in the spine.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:57:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Stuart McGill?
View Quote

googled him,  yes thats him.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:25:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

googled him,  yes thats him.
View Quote

Care to describe the exercises your doing?  I tried his 'stir the pot', it sucked.  Bad.

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Care to describe the exercises your doing?  I tried his 'stir the pot', it sucked.  Bad.
View Quote

his simple core planks,  the on all 4s and leg kicks and opposite arm raises.   the weird sit up but not a sit up thing  where its more like a squeeze.  if its too easy add weight like anything.   i spent 7 years on a fork truck and it really screwed  me up.  ive spent a long time working things out and trying to get my hips straight and work out the weaknesses.   weaknesses that lifting weights just made more pronounced.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

i did a version of that in physical therapy for my shoulder issues,  yes that sucks.  it would be easier if i wasnt  a heavy ass
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Back seems to be getting better. Kind of took it easy for a few weeks. Was pulling deads at 405 pretty consistently the other day. Check me out on Instagram @jhart1545 to see my last set of  deads.

Will probably be changing gyms as the local place got new equipment and I'm so tall I cannot use a lot of the machines. They went from hammer strength machines to precor.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

his simple core planks,  the on all 4s and leg kicks and opposite arm raises.   the weird sit up but not a sit up thing  where its more like a squeeze.  if its too easy add weight like anything.   i spent 7 years on a fork truck and it really screwed  me up.  ive spent a long time working things out and trying to get my hips straight and work out the weaknesses.   weaknesses that lifting weights just made more pronounced.
View Quote

McGill's Big 3 for anybody that wants to youtube it. I don't do them as much as I should but they have gotten me out of some back trouble before.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:43:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Back seems to be getting better. Kind of took it easy for a few weeks. Was pulling deads at 405 pretty consistently the other day. Check me out on Instagram @jhart1545 to see my last set of  deads.

Will probably be changing gyms as the local place got new equipment and I'm so tall I cannot use a lot of the machines. They went from hammer strength machines to precor.
View Quote

JESUS MOTHER FUCK MAN! I don't remember seeing a form vid earlier, but how the fuck are you still walking? Your back is rounder than jen selter's ass, you're looser than hillary's morale compass when you're starting the pull, and you're jerking that harder than ISIS fighters that haven't been near a goat in month.

You pull like how I used to before snapping my shit up for over a year. All back, no hip hinge from what I'm seeing. Just some friendly words to think about, but I think you need to load the hamstrings/glutes more before you start pulling (pull the slack out), and keep a more neutral spine. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

JESUS MOTHER FUCK MAN! I don't remember seeing a form vid earlier, but how the fuck are you still walking? Your back is rounder than jen selter's ass, you're looser than hillary's morale compass when you're starting the pull, and you're jerking that harder than ISIS fighters that haven't been near a goat in month.

You pull like how I used to before snapping my shit up for over a year. All back, no hip hinge from what I'm seeing. Just some friendly words to think about, but I think you need to load the hamstrings/glutes more before you start pulling (pull the slack out), and keep a more neutral spine. Just my $.02
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw the roundness too and thought "how tall is this guy?" Then his next post was how he is too tall for a bunch of new machines. OP I would check out Brian Shaw's form and pay attention to how wide his feet are. I am guessing(without seeing) that your feet are too narrow for your height and that you can't reach the bar without rounding.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:26:58 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm 6'3. I appreciate the criticism and need it. I have no formal training and take all the help I can get.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I saw the roundness too and thought "how tall is this guy?" Then his next post was how he is too tall for a bunch of new machines. OP I would check out Brian Shaw's form and pay attention to how wide his feet are. I am guessing(without seeing) that your feet are too narrow for your height and that you can't reach the bar without rounding.
View Quote

I will take a from the front view next time I dead just to confirm your suspicion.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I will take a from the front view next time I dead just to confirm your suspicion.
View Quote

I'm not as tall as you, but at 6'0" I'm sure there are some similarities. As he said, widening your stance a little bit could help, but I know at least in my case it was a hamstring flexibility issue coupled with glute deactivation. My wife, brother, cousin, and a couple gym buddies all had the same issue. I'd load up with 135, take a shot from further away, and see if you can make yourself get into a neutral spine position and begin the pull without rounding. If you round somewhere you shouldn't then something is tighter than it should be or not firing like it should be.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:13:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm not as tall as you, but at 6'0" I'm sure there are some similarities. As he said, widening your stance a little bit could help, but I know at least in my case it was a hamstring flexibility issue coupled with glute deactivation. My wife, brother, cousin, and a couple gym buddies all had the same issue. I'd load up with 135, take a shot from further away, and see if you can make yourself get into a neutral spine position and begin the pull without rounding. If you round somewhere you shouldn't then something is tighter than it should be or not firing like it should be.
View Quote

Glute deactivation? As in your glutes stopped working? That would suck!

OP, the rounding explains a lot. Definitely work on form. Larger guys sometimes have to take a wider stance so that their gut can hang down between their thighs. Or you can pull sumo.

I'd ditch the straps too and work back up from a much lower weight...with good form.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 2:46:19 AM EDT
[#47]
I wonder if Jefferson Curls could help? I am pretty new to all this so it is not advice so much as a suggestion worth researching. I seem to see it mentioned a lot when people are looking to strengthen their back and core. Christopher Sommer said he felt like it was one of the single most important exercises. Listening to the Tim Ferriss podcast with him on it really helped me realize how stiff and inflexible I am.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#48]
I really do recommend watching Brian Shaw deadlift. He is a lot bigger than you but I think you could learn a lot. Watch how wide he is and how deep he has to drop his hips to get his back correct. I've worked with 2 guys your height on their deadlift form and it really threw me off at first with how they aren't much taller than me but so much has to change to get them right.

As mentioned, sumo may also be an option. But being comfortable of not there depends on some other factors(arm length, leg length, torso length, hip/shoulder width). To be strong at sumo your taint needs to be higher than your knees at depth.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#49]
I probably should say...

If you do consider trying sumo, it is incredibly technical and will require a ton of form work.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Glute deactivation? As in your glutes stopped working? That would suck!

OP, the rounding explains a lot. Definitely work on form. Larger guys sometimes have to take a wider stance so that their gut can hang down between their thighs. Or you can pull sumo.

I'd ditch the straps too and work back up from a much lower weight...with good form.
View Quote

I have no ass if that tells you anything.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top