Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2016 11:57:48 AM EDT
Sorry in advance for the TLDR crowd, lol.

So, for the last 7 or so years, I've really gotten into lifting.  Sometimes my diet has been on, most of the time, not so much.  I'd eat what I wanted to and go to the gym and lift as hard as I could.  I hated and still do hate cardio but I think it may have become a part of my gym life now, even if it's just 3 or 4 times a week on the treadmill (max incline) or stair climber for 20-30 minutes.

14 weeks ago, with some prompting from a much younger friend (Zach) who is wrapping up his degree in Sports Nutrition (or something like that), I decided that I would throw my hat in the ring for competing in a Men's Physique competition in KC, MO.

At the time, I was floating anywhere from 230 lbs - 240 lbs, but for the sake of keeping numbers straight, I started my 13 week prep at 230 lbs and 6' 1" tall.  The day after I decided to start prep, I broke my 5th metatarsal on my left foot, goofing around at the gym.  My buddy and now coach, said, "Well, that was over before it started.  Don't worry, there are other competitions you can start prepping for once you're healed up."  My response was "Fuck that.  I said I was going to do it and I'm going to do it."

Zach dropped me down to 1,800 calories/day, told me to hit cardio once a day, to the tune of 450 calories and set me up with a workout that was almost all super-sets.  With the broken foot, I was pretty much relegated to the exercise bike, which I'd use to knock out 450-800 calories, trying to overachieve.  4 weeks in, I decided to give the stair climber a try with the foot and found that I could tolerate it fairly well.

At 5 weeks, we changed my diet, dropping it down to 1,400 calories/day with macros at 200 gr- Protein, 50 gr - Carbs, 45 gr - Fats, except for 1 cheat meal every two weeks, where I could have whatever I wanted.  Cardio was increased to 700-1,000 calories burned during fasted cardio and another 450-700 calories for evening cardio.  This is in addition to my hour of super set style lifting during my lunch break.  This went on for 8 weeks until the day of my competition.

The last week also included water manipulation, super hydrating starting a week out and dropping water intake down to eating ice chips the day of the competition.  I went from wondering if I could get all the water down, to begging for one more ice cube, lmao.

I was entered in two different classes, Masters Division (for guys 35 and older)  6'-0" and taller, and the Open Division (all ages and heights).  I ended up winning the Masters class and took 5th in Open.  I botched a back pose that cost me between 2-4 places in the final call outs.

The before/after pics below show what I looked like in July, because that's the last time we'd taken any comprehensive pics, but are essentially what I looked like at the beginning of prep.  I didn't have a scale on Saturday, but after my fasted cardio on the day before the show, I weighed in at 188 lbs.  A total of 42 lbs.

The crazy thing is, I know I can do better and I've convinced myself to do this again in June.  

Anyway, here are the pics...

Before and after.

Friday Night before getting base spray tan.

Saturday Morning after dark spray tan.

Receiving 1st place in Masters

One with the honey, who I couldn't have done this without.  OMG, she was so awesome with food prep and actually lost 15 lbs herself, just by eating clean with me.

Goofing around, later that night after a half gallon of PediaLyte, 4 big pieces of pizza and a few cookies, and before getting cleaned up to go out for more food and drinks, lol.

And...just because, lol

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Dude. Well done. Congrats.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Respect

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Great work man! Congrats. The hard work paid off big time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, that's a hell of a transformation for only 14 weeks, incredible.

What's the goal for June and plan to get there?
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  I was kicking my own ass up and down for 13 weeks.  I was my own worst critic the whole time, to the point that I thought people were fucking with me when they were telling me how good I looked.

I'm glad it paid off.  Regardless of whether I won or not, I won.  I got leaner and meaner and at the very least, showed my kids that the "old man" still had it and tried to provide a good example of hard work and sacrifice in achieving goals.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Sick! I was wondering how well you placed.  Congrats!  I know that shit takes so much dedication.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn, that's a hell of a transformation for only 14 weeks, incredible.

What's the goal for June and plan to get there?
View Quote

13 weeks.  Thanks man.

Goal for June is to finish 1st overall in the Open Division.  That qualifies me for Nationals.  If I can place 1st or 2nd at Nationals, I get a Pro Card.  That's a long damn road for a 41 year old with a 10 hr/ day job and 4 boys still at home who are active in sports year round.  But I'm going to give it my absolute best.

The June 10 show is the NPC Muscle Mayhem.  It's one of the biggest shows I could go to, and one of the toughest.  The plan is to stay fairly cut but lean bulk as much as possible for 3-3.5 months and then go into a 16-18 week prep this time.  That way, it will be a little more gradual, both because of the time and already being in much better shape and I should be able to retain even more muscle while cutting back down to the 3-3.5% bf that I was for this show.  

I'm not going to lie, it was kind of cool when some of the other competitors backstage couldn't believe I'd never done this before and were calling me a genetic freak.  One of them even made the comment that I looked like a super hero who had just stepped out of a Marvel Comic Book.  

That may have been the coolest part, that the other guys weren't a bunch of dicks and were actually supportive of each other.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sick! I was wondering how well you placed.  Congrats!  I know that shit takes so much dedication.
View Quote

Thanks brother.  I never realized what those guys actually went through.  Now I know, and I want to push it even further.  I may not be right in the head...but then again, what Colabro is?

Also, shaving arms and legs sucks big time.  New respect for women shaving them for us everyday, lol.  Armpits were the worst.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Excellent work!

When I was competing, I would give myself 18 to 16 weeks. 13 weeks is great!

My fellow drug free bodybuilder buddies consisted of an ex-pro football player and a retired SEAL. They said dieting for a show, all the while trying to keep up with training, posing, cardio (not to mention full time jobs) etc was the hardest thing they had ever done.

Your efforts should be commended!
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Impressive. Nice work man
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome job man.  You must be a psycho on the nutrition.  

Are the muscles just for show though?  Do they lift?  

Please don't shoot me.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Excellent work!

When I was competing, I would give myself 18 to 16 weeks. 13 weeks is great!

My fellow drug free bodybuilder buddies consisted of an ex-pro football player and a retired SEAL. They said dieting for a show, all the while trying to keep up with training, posing, cardio (not to mention full time jobs) etc was the hardest thing they had ever done.

Your efforts should be commended!
View Quote

Thanks, yes it was brutal...and this is coming from someone who wrestled for 9 years.

For one thing, I'm not 18 anymore, lol, plus work plus family, etc.

I almost broke down afterwards because I started thinking about all the work that I'd put into it and that it was recognized by the judges and my fellow competitors.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Awesome job man.  You must be a psycho on the nutrition.  

Are the muscles just for show though?  Do they lift?  

Please don't shoot me.  
View Quote

Thanks!  Yeah, I was pretty much on point the whole time with the diet.  A little cheat here or there, but nothing major and I'd do extra cardio to burn it off.

Shortly before I went into prep, I was able to hit 405 on flat barbell bench again, incline dumbbells were up to 150 lb dumbbells for a set of 4.  Max deadlift was at 500, no straps, no belt.  Don't ask about squats, lmao.  I don't think I've ever gone over 405.  Going to hit legs hard in the next few months though, now that my foot is pretty much healed,  to help my body grow even more.

Hahahah, no worries of me shooting someone, unless they mean me or my family harm.  (I know you are just joking, btw, lol)
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Very cool Blitz.

It's a humbling reminder that the only thing keeping my chubby belly is my lack of conviction.  Oh well, I feel like eating a cookie.

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Very cool Blitz.

It's a humbling reminder that the only thing keeping my chubby belly is my lack of conviction.  Oh well, I feel like eating a cookie.

View Quote

Thanks!

Oh believe me,. I love my cookies too, and ice cream, and candy, and pizza and tacos, and double bacon cheese burgers, and I've been enjoying them for a long time, lol.  

I'm a very goal oriented person though and when I say I'm going to do something, I usually become obsessive about it.  I just needed a goal to focus on.  I kept saying throughout prep, "I'm not going up on a stage in front of hundreds of people to fucking embarrass myself."  and when my coach said that he thought I could do well, but don't be disappointed if the results don't come back in your favor, I told him that I don't play for 2nd place, I play for 1at.  If someone is that much better than I am, so be it, but I won't have any regrets about my effort.

When coaching my kids through wrestling and just being a dad through life stuff, I've always asked them "How badly do you want it?"  If it's something that you really want, you'll do whatever it takes to get there.  Hopefully, I provide them a good example.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Alright, so let's hear the gory details.

Supplements, routines, etc.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hopefully, I provide them a good example.  
View Quote

We both know you're a bomb-ass dad. Don't even pretend to be modest about that!
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Alright, so let's hear the gory details.

Supplements, routines, etc.
View Quote

As far as supplements:

Might as well get this one out of the way, lol, Testosterone Cypionate.  I'm on TRT with a prescription.  (This also keeps me from doing any "Natty" shows)
Fish Oil
Vitamin C (2k mg morning, 2k mg night)
L-Lysine
L-Glutamine
Multi-Vitamin (MegaMen Sport)
CoQ10
Ephedrine/Caffeine stack (would cycle on and off this)
Pre-workout (Blackstone Labs - Dust Extreme)
Stance BCAAs during workouts
Cranberry extract for my kidneys

Most mornings consisted of either 3-4 hard boiled eggs + 1 scoop protein shake (30g P, 3g C, 3g F) or an omelette with 3-4 whole eggs and 5 egg whites.  Tuesdays were my high carb day and I could have 1 serving of oatmeal with my eggs.
Mid morning meal was either 6-8 oz of skinless chicken breast or a 2 scoop protein shake.
Pre-workout meal was 1 cup of white rice, 6-8 oz of skinless chicken breast and 1 cup of broccoli.  Double the rice on high carb day.
Post workout meal was the same, but I usually skipped the rice and broccoli or had a 2 scoop protein shake.  Supposed to be double the rice on high carb day.
Evening meals, I could have 6-8 oz of lean red meat, usually had venison burger, grass fed beef burger from parent's farm or a nice steak, accompanied by raw spinach

Protein shakes were Forza Pro from NutriShop.  I used the protein shakes as a crutch way too often at the beginning.  I hated chicken breast and found it hard to eat that kind of quantity at first.  Later on in the prep, I got used to it, scaled back the protein shakes and actually started looking forward to it.  In lieu of chicken breast, I also had the option of tuna, tilapia or any of the other white fishes.

Ortega Taco Sauce was my friend and I used it on my chicken and rice and on my ground beef and spinach.

6:00 AM Cardio - Since my foot was broken, the first 4 weeks of cardio consisted of an 50 min - 1 hour on exercise bike.  After those 4 weeks, it was the stair climber for 25-40 minutes, depending on what time I woke up and got to the gym.  Morning cardio was always fasted cardio for 600-1000 calories.
1:00 PM work out was similar to my normal routine but changed up a little since I couldn't do legs (on account of the foot).  Mon-Chest, Tues-Back, Wed-Shoulders, Thurs-Arms, Fri-Back, Shoulders, Chest.  The main difference was getting in a lot of super sets and a lot less time between sets than I was used to.  For example, would hit incline bench and super set with incline flys, then flat bench super set with flat flys.
After work Cardio - Alternate each day from 20 min on stair climber or 30 -40 min, max incline (15%) on treadmill at 3.5-4.5 mph for 450-700 ish calories.

The calories started out at 1,800/day for the first 5 weeks, can't remember the exact macros.  Last 8 weeks were 1,400/day with 200g protein, 50g carbs, 45g fats, with the exception of my once a week high carb day where I got 200g of carbs and my once every 2 weeks cheat meal where I could have whatever I wanted for 1 meal.  So, I was essentially burning off more calories in my cardio sessions alone, than what my intake was.

I started off at around 18% bf and ended up between 3%-3.5% as measured on the Inbody system at the gym and the BodPod system at the Mizzou Rec Center (similar to the water submersion method but using a pod with compressed air)
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hopefully, I provide them a good example.  

I don't take anything for granted and I'm far from perfect.  I try my best and just hope my kids realize that I love them and try to be there for all of them.  That, and I want them to be as proud to have me as a dad, as I am to have them as sons.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Okay, I need time to process this.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I missed the pictures. What I miss?
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Blitz got fucking ripped!

But you didn't miss them. Photobucket has just been down most the day.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought we were all ripped. And have seven figures in the bank, Fuck hookers that cost more than most people's house, have ten inch dicks, and can hit a 5"x5" at 1000 yards with an 8" 300blk with subs. I was told this was how everyone lives on this elite of the elite site.

I await photo bucket and them getting their shit together.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#24]
After further review, holy fuck!
Amazing work, amazing wife, amazing transformation! Pm will be coming later when I get a chance blitz.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice work!
The work and discipline you put in is commendable and something most people couldn't do. I also have to thank you for mentioning the TRT, it gives a true perspective, otherwise I would've killed myself for 13 weeks and been depressed at the results.

I will PM you re: cardio work you were doing.

Tall34
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Damndude, congrats you look excellent !
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nice work!
The work and discipline you put in is commendable and something most people couldn't do. I also have to thank you for mentioning the TRT, it gives a true perspective, otherwise I would've killed myself for 13 weeks and been depressed at the results.

Tall34
View Quote

Actually, I've been on TRT for at least a couple years now, including those before pics. If you have normal levels of test in your body, you're fine.

The muscle was something I've been building up. It was the diet and cardio that revealed what was underneath. I wasn't putting muscle on, I was taking fat off and trying not to lose muscle.

If you have a good muscular base and you did the same things I was, tailored to you of course, I doubt that you'd be disappointed. If you think you're going to gain a ton of muscle doing it, well,  you're probably not going to be happy.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Actually, I've been on TRT for at least a couple years now, including those before pics. If you have normal levels of test in your body, you're fine.

The muscle was something I've been building up. It was the diet and cardio that revealed what was underneath. I wasn't putting muscle on, I was taking fat off and trying not to lose muscle.

If you have a good muscular base and you did the same things I was, tailored to you of course, I doubt that you'd be disappointed. If you think you're going to gain a ton of muscle doing it, well,  you're probably not going to be happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice work!

Tall34

On that, how was your strength? 1400 calories for an entire day, I Damn near get that for breakfast. No it's not crap food BTW.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Damn son!

I was looking at your before pics. At first I was like, "Ah, so that's what you looked like before getting into lifting." Ha, nope. 3 months prior to epically pwning the competition.

you sir are an inspiration to men the world over
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's amazing how "big" one can look when they strip the fat off. I went from 230 to 198 for a comp and everyone kept asking if I was getting bigger while I kept feeling puny for being under 200.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Looking swole AF.  Great job!

I'd be going Betty White on people at only 1400 calories a day
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Just want to say you've motivated me to do the one here in lexington next october.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#33]
PM sent blitz.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

On that, how was your strength? 1400 calories for an entire day, I Damn near get that for breakfast. No it's not crap food BTW.
View Quote

It was definitely going away.  Working my way back into some heavier weights again.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's amazing how "big" one can look when they strip the fat off. I went from 230 to 198 for a comp and everyone kept asking if I was getting bigger while I kept feeling puny for being under 200.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt.  I got the same reaction and felt the same way, lol.  That and "how did you put on so much muscle in 13 weeks?"  Ha, it took me a long time to put the muscle on, it took 13 weeks to strip off 35-40 lbs of fat that was hiding it.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was actually doing ok with the mood (EVEN according to my wife, lol)...until 3 weeks out.  I absolutely crashed, physically, mentally and emotionally.  My whole personality changed.  I basically turned into a walking zombie asshole.  I threw in a huge cheat meal on a Sunday night, Monday I skipped both cardio sessions but still lifted, Tuesday I skipped the morning session but hit my lifting and evening cardio.  By Wednesday, I felt completely fine again and it was like I caught my second wind.  Mood and attitude changed back and I was ready to kill it again for the last 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just want to say you've motivated me to do the one here in lexington next october.
View Quote

Awesome!  

I've seen your pics in the HOTD before and you've definitely got a lot to work with.  Good luck bro, I know you'll do great!
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Blitz,

You say you are 6'1" and started at around 230-240 pounds.

What do you figure your body fat percentage was then?

Just trying to do the math in my head, I'd say about 17% or 18% .

OUT-FUCKING-STANDING JOB!

Congratulations!

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I was actually doing ok with the mood (EVEN according to my wife, lol)...until 3 weeks out.  I absolutely crashed, physically, mentally and emotionally.  My whole personality changed.  I basically turned into a walking zombie asshole.  I threw in a huge cheat meal on a Sunday night, Monday I skipped both cardio sessions but still lifted, Tuesday I skipped the morning session but hit my lifting and evening cardio.  By Wednesday, I felt completely fine again and it was like I caught my second wind.  Mood and attitude changed back and I was ready to kill it again for the last 2 weeks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you think was the cause of that crash....I mean physiologically or body chemistry speaking?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What do you think was the cause of that crash....I mean physiologically or body chemistry speaking?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, I don't know for sure.   Just discussed this with the wife. What we think it may have been was that my body fat had gotten too low and was affecting my brain function. On the Saturday at the end of that bad week, i checked my body fat and it was at 3.3%.  I know some people can go lower, but maybe that is around my breaking point especially considering how far I had dropped it and in how short a time period.  

That's just a guess though.

I know that when I wrestled in high school, I had to have been around the same % or lower.  I was the same height and was cutting from 165 to 140 and 145.  My family told me in later years that I was kind of difficult to live with during that time, lol.  I just remember that it made me feel on edge and mean.

ETA, it very well could have been over traing as well, or a combination of the two. Regardless, a cheat meal and giving my body a break to recover and reset made a world of difference.

ETA2, Just realized I missed answering your other question, we're calculating that I was around 18+% body fat when I started.  When I did my first bod pod evaluation, I was at a little over 15% and that was after I'd lost about 15-16 lbs.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#41]
A question about your TRT, if you don't mind.

What was your overall T level and free T level at their highest?   I assume that your MD runs regular bloodwork.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What was your overall T level and free T level at their highest?   I assume that your MD runs regular bloodwork.
View Quote

He does run labs on me about every 6 months now.  Trying to send you an IM but your box is full.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

He does run labs on me about every 6 months now.  Trying to send you an IM but your box is full.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry about that.  I now have it cleaned out.

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#44]
awesome
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice Job, dude. Been watching you do this over these past few weeks, you should be proud of your accomplishment! A+!
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks guys!  

I put on a little binge weight, lol, but started eating clean again to start a lean bulk.  Going to try to look even better for the Muscle Mayhem show in June.  It would be really nice to win overall in Open Class and get an invitation to compete in Nationals.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#47]
13 weeks ?

Holy shit.

That is...  an astonishing transformation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top