Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2016 3:33:24 PM EDT
Not really looking for advice.
A home gym won't work for me for a number of reasons.
Pretty much just ranting.

So about a month ago the gym I've been going to for 6 years closed. It was a short 5 minute drive away, and they had (almost) all the equipment I could ever want. It was really cheap and they had day-care so you could bring your kids to be entertained while you worked out.
The daycare ladies were generally attractive young ladies and they all loved my boys.

The next closest gyms to me are either too expensive or too far away.
I've currently been working out at the base gym but it kind of sucks and their hours are limited- plus not available to use on the weekends and no daycare.

Never know what you have until it's gone.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a pet hamster once, his name was Max.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Not really looking for advice.

A home gym won't work for me for a number of reasons.

Pretty much just ranting.

So about a month ago the gym I've been going to for 6 years closed. It was a short 5 minute drive away, and they had (almost) all the equipment I could ever want. It was really cheap and they had day-care so you could bring your kids to be entertained while you worked out.

The daycare ladies were generally attractive young ladies and they all loved my boys.

The next closest gyms to me are either too expensive or too far away.

I've currently been working out at the base gym but it kind of sucks and their hours are limited- plus not available to use on the weekends and no daycare.

Never know what you have until it's gone.
View Quote
Yup, that sucks, but not as bad someone else in this thread.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry man, that does suck.

What's holding you back from a home gym?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#4]
You and the rest of the cheap bastages, should have paid more.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a bummer

Ft Carson has 5 fully equipped fitness centers and the popular ones are open 7 days a week

I find it hard to believe your base gym doesn't have alot of equipment
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Money, space, kids
Budget is kinda tight, don't have any space for it in my house, need to be away from the kids while working out.  I suppose I could start looking on craigslist for stuff... eventually get enough. I just tend to use a lot of different equipment.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sounds like a bummer

Ft Carson has 5 fully equipped fitness centers and the popular ones are open 7 days a week

View Quote

It's Schriever AFB. They have a decent amount of equipment but only 1 flat bench, the dumbbell area is kinda crowded for more than 2 people. And all the equipment is subdivided into small rooms. Supposedly they are expanding at some point... maybe.. who know.

Because of Columbus day, they were pretty much closed Friday - Monday ... go figure.

I also can't go home and come back to work out, would be an extra 50 minutes of driving.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Money, space, kids
Budget is kinda tight, don't have any space for it in my house, need to be away from the kids while working out.  I suppose I could start looking on craigslist for stuff... eventually get enough. I just tend to use a lot of different equipment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Money, space, kids

You can get a lot done with a squat rack, a barbell and some plates
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Man that blows. I have felt your pain.

Years ago the gym I was at closed and the only option was a community center.....it had machines and dumbbells up to 50#s....no barbells at all. It sucked.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You can get a lot done EVERYTHING DONE  with a squat rack, a barbell and some plates
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Money, space, kids

You can get a lot done EVERYTHING DONE  with a squat rack, a barbell and some plates

FIFY

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#11]
have u checked out TRX straps?
good for budget & space issues

maybe start a movie or cartoons for kids when u work out
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only problem with TRX bands is they are not effective.

Thats a bummer OP.

The gym I went to before I put a rack in the basement was 3 min away, I was lucky.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:33:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
bad for getting stronger

View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
bad for getting stronger

FIFY

Good for tearing rotator cuffs when you do stupid things though.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's Schriever AFB. They have a decent amount of equipment but only 1 flat bench, the dumbbell area is kinda crowded for more than 2 people. And all the equipment is subdivided into small rooms. Supposedly they are expanding at some point... maybe.. who know.

Because of Columbus day, they were pretty much closed Friday - Monday ... go figure.

I also can't go home and come back to work out, would be an extra 50 minutes of driving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like a bummer

If you work on a military base I know you have access to all kinds of outdoor fitness gear like pull up bars, ropes, tracks, heavy shit that is available 24/7-365.  Calisthenics may not be your ideal fitness regimen but you can get in excellent shape and it is better than not working out and being unhappy.  It also might suck during Colorado winters...
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#16]
You can get a lot of work in for cheap with bags of play sand/concrete. You can cover them in duct tape so they don't spew sand/dust all over. Make handles with pvc pipe. Tape bags together for more wight. Etc. etc. etc.

You may also want to try and contact the former owner of the gym to see if you can get some of the equipment from him for cheap.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#17]
This happened to us about 8-9yrs ago.  We'd been members there for about 2yrs and pulled up one day and there's a sign on the door.. "Hey, thanks for being loyal, we closed and all members will get 2mo free at ___".  It was pretty funny (annoying, but funny).  We tried the new place... didn't really care for it.  Switched to Anytime and it was fine, was just a drive for us.... then they opened up a PF literally 5min away... so there we went and there were are.  We've moved since then, but where we moved there's another PF about 15min away, so we just transferred our membership.

Not the greatest gym in the world, but it's cheap, open 24hrs (a big deal for us) and tons of equipment so no waiting on the hours we go.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Get involved.  Find the MWR money and get the gym squared away the way you want it.  Look in the mirror.  You're it!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This happened to us about 8-9yrs ago.  We'd been members there for about 2yrs and pulled up one day and there's a sign on the door.. "Hey, thanks for being loyal, we closed and all members will get 2mo free at ___".  It was pretty funny (annoying, but funny).  We tried the new place... didn't really care for it.  Switched to Anytime and it was fine, was just a drive for us.... then they opened up a PF literally 5min away... so there we went and there were are.  We've moved since then, but where we moved there's another PF about 15min away, so we just transferred our membership.

Not the greatest gym in the world, but it's cheap, open 24hrs (a big deal for us) and tons of equipment so no waiting on the hours we go.
View Quote

I would get kicked out of planet fitness if I didn't leave in frustration first (from them not having the right equipment).
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:21:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I would get kicked out of planet fitness if I didn't leave in frustration first (from them not having the right equipment).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lift, but not like a lot of you guys do... I really enjoy running more than anything... I just hate dealing with dogs, cars, 2 legged varmints, etc.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I see a tank.

Are you near a base? What level of access do you have to post activities?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#22]
How far away is the next closest gym?

The closest gym to me is about a 20 minute drive. It sucks but I make it work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top