Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2016 10:20:41 AM EDT

So I woke up one morning in February of this year, and decided I was tired of being fat.  It was literally that simple.  

I had known I was a bit overweight for years.  Back in 2008, though, I got laid off from my job and decided to start my own business.  Over the next five years of building that business, working two jobs for a while, working till 1a.m. or 2a.m. multiple nights a week, I ballooned up to the heaviest I have ever been at 233 pounds at 5'10.

I maintained that weight from 2013 until February of this year, when I download this http://www.myrunningtips.com/couch-to-10k.html.  That page has literally changed my life.

I stuck pretty religiously to that program, and knocked out my first 10K around the middle of May at around a 67.45.  Somewhere between May and July of this year, I decided that "hey, I actually kind of like this running stuff" and decided to start working on pace.

Currently, I am averaging 6.2 miles every third day, and doing some light weights, biking, etc. on my non-running days.  My fastest (not fast at all) 10K time so far is a 52.27, with a personal goal of a sub 50 minute 10K before the end of November.  If/when I get there, I'll decide what to go for next.  I still have some weight to drop as well.  Currently at about 189, and would really like to get down to about 165-170 to help with the running.

Just wondering if anyone else out there is working on getting faster, and if they might like to share their experience, success or failure.

I will post my next 10K time in here, and see where this thread goes from there.

This is me at near my heaviest back in 2014.

And a current picture from a couple weeks ago, after my first competitive race in 31 years.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
OST - I wanna get faster too!
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Post up where you are, and where you are going.  We can provide a bit of accountability.

No shame here.  One of my best friends was a scholarship track athlete in college, so I am well aware that I am SLOOOOW at this point.

Hell, my the Cross Country coach at my daughter's high school just set the world record for a half marathon while pushing a stroller.  He logged a 5.27/mile half, while pushing a stroller with a baby....  I'm surrounded by fast people, while I'm dogging along in the right lane.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Post up where you are, and where you are going.  We can provide a bit of accountability.

No shame here.  One of my best friends was a scholarship track athlete in college, so I am well aware that I am SLOOOOW at this point.

Hell, my the Cross Country coach at my daughter's high school just set the world record for a half marathon while pushing a stroller.  He logged a 5.27/mile half, while pushing a stroller with a baby....  I'm surrounded by fast people, while I'm dogging along in the right lane.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy smokes!

Yea, I'm a total running noob. The last time I ran a real mile for time was in the .mil pre-9/11. Almost two decades ago.

I'm starting out with 1/3 mile (driveway length) times. Right now I'm running them at 2:45 ish, and I think I might be able to keep that pace for a full mile. I guess that'd be a 9 minute mile, so not great.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Gotta do speedwork if you're going to get faster. You have to train those muscles into moving quicker.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Gotta do speedwork if you're going to get faster. You have to train those muscles into moving quicker.
View Quote

What does that mean?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Basically, (and correct me if I'm wrong) I think he is referring to "interval training".

In overly simplistic terms, you haul ass for shorter durations, in order to build up to hauling ass for the long haul

I just bought a book that is sitting on my nightstand called "Daniels Running Formula" by Jeff Daniels that lays out the groundwork for that type of training.  I haven't gotten into it yet, but it is on the radar.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What does that mean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that mean?

Here, this lays it out better than I could. Working the body near your vO2 max will increase speed.

http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/running-guide-speedwork-training/

I'm not particularly fast, marathon time is 3:30, half PR is 1:33. But speedwork helps immensely.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool, thanks!

Here is my plan for the 5k I'm signed up to run. http://www.magiccityrun.com/event-details/5k/

Week -- Weekday 1, Weekday 2, Weekday 3

1 -- 1.5 miles, 1.5 miles, 2 miles

2 -- 2 miles, 2 miles, 2.5 miles

3 -- 2 miles, 2.5 miles, 3 miles

4 -- 2.5 miles, 2.5 miles, 3 miles

5 -- 2.5 miles, 2 miles, Race 3.1 miles!
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Starting from zero that should get you to the finish. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here, this lays it out better than I could. Working the body near your vO2 max will increase speed.

I'm not particularly fast, marathon time is 3:30, half PR is 1:33. But speedwork helps immensely.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does that mean?

1.33 half is a 7 min/mile.  I would say you are chugging along pretty good by my current standard.

My track scholarship buddy has told me a couple of times that 7 min/mile is somewhat of a break point between casual and serious times.

How long have you been at it to get there?

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I started running in the spring and pretty much had my times down by the end of the summer.

The '07 Chicago marathon has been my worst marathon finish so far, that was the hot year where they ran out of water and one guy died. I finished in the top 15% or so that year.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I started running in the spring and pretty much had my times down by the end of the summer.

The '07 Chicago marathon has been my worst marathon finish so far, that was the hot year where they ran out of water and one guy died. I finished in the top 15% or so that year.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81144293/runningresults.PNG
View Quote

Thanks for sharing.  You've got a lot of miles in, I'm sure since 2006/2007.

Hope I can follow a similar path.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81144293/runningresults.PNG

Yes, I have.

Every other year I go out to Colorado and run the Pikes Peak marathon, that is my favorite race. Did one ultra-marathon, an 8 hour timed race where I ran 41 miles.  Been running mostly trail runs the past few years, the times don't translate very well to road races. Rolled my ankle back in June on a 7 mile trail run and had to take about 8 weeks off from running. Back into it now but I'm just doing maintenance runs, not training for anything. Currently doing about 25-30 miles a week.

ETA:Good Luck! If you've got the drive, you'll do great!
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice work!

My advice - use number 505 as a rabbit.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice work!

For me, I only run at 1 mile intervals but do so at faster speeds for the type of running and fitness that is most beneficial to me.

So far, I found that running outdoors for 1 mile broken down so that I jog for 1 minute and sprint for 30 seconds has helped get my mile down to its fastest it's ever been at 6:27.

Bear in mind, I am 5'8" and 170lbs.

I am continuing  to do this program, and even though I can't consistently hit 6:27 (that was one of those great days), I am consistently under 7 minutes per mile at around 6:30-6:40 per mile.

My end goal being 2 miles in under 14 minutes.

If I do longer runs, they are usually 2.5miles, with my time being at or around 20 minutes.

For that, I jog for 1 minute and walk for 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I would highly recommend the use of a digital metronome.

It's basically a device that allows you to set your pace. From simply running a few times with this device, I was able to drop considerable time from my runs by shortening stride length in order to keep a 180 step per minute pace.

It's typically used for music but lots of runners use them to determine pace and speed or running when training.

A very cheap way to improve your running speed and efficiency.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P80QZR4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#18]
doing a 5k this weekend, my training has consisted of lifting weights and jogging 5k twice in the past month...

I'll be content with a time under 40 minutes
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Well, I will always post the good with the bad.

Today sucked.  I did a weight class at the local YMCA a couple days ago that included a bunch of squats and lunges.  I knew I tweaked something in my left hip, but hoped it would be good for today.  Started to run, and knew right away it wasn't good yet.  Stopped running and did about an hour on the elliptical instead to salvage something for the day.

I did the same thing with my hip from this class once before, so hopefully in another day or so I will be back up and running (literally).

I will check out the metronome idea.  I do find it difficult to monitor pace when running outdoors, so that is a great idea.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I recommend buying Daniels Running Formula, reading it, and following the advice contained inside.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Intervals
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#22]
OP, great job!  You've really made awesome progress.  Love your sig line, BTW.

I'm not overweight but never been much of a runner...I'm 40 with arthritis, degenerative disk disease (which causes sciatica) and asthma.  I preferred to stick to walking, yoga, weights, and kettlebells.  I started running earlier this year and it's slow going but the more I do consistently, the more I find I can do.  Still can't run a whole 5k but I've got three of them under my belt this year (first female in my age group in my second one) and a couple more on the horizon this fall.

I've heard the same thing someone else posted...doing the shorter harder runs from time to time will help with longer distance runs.  I do sprint intervals in my driveway occasionally to mix it up.  I also still do lunges, squats, etc with weights and kettlebells to keep my legs and core strong.

Now I got GN'R rocking out in my head, LOL.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I recommend buying Daniels Running Formula, reading it, and following the advice contained inside.
View Quote

What level is that book targeted at? I'm currently running an uninspiring 31:01 5k. I want to get faster, but is that book for more advanced runners?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What level is that book targeted at? I'm currently running an uninspiring 31:01 5k. I want to get faster, but is that book for more advanced runners?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever level you are, you can learn from this book.  You can scale the training plans, but it provides information for you to determine your training paces for long runs, intervals, short repetitions, based on your current fitness (from either a recent race or a test run).  There is information on periodization - how you schedule different types of speed work.

What you won't get is a bunch of chi running bullshit about gravity pulling you along or a "just do intervals" bit of advice.

It's aimed at the serious runner, putting in 6 or 7 days per week, but the principles apply to folks who want to do more than run.  Specifically:

-If you want to get faster, run more, especially more frequently
-Run fast/hard sometimes, but not all that often
-Training paces should be based on your current fitness, not some goal in your mind
-You should move from general training to specific training as your race nears
---lots of easy runs (30-60 seconds/mile slower than marathon pace) with very short/hard intervals coming in after you've put in enough miles to preclude the interval work causing injury early in your training cycle
---interval efforts/duration get closer to your intended goal race as it gets closer - marathon runners move to threshold work and then do lots of running at half marathon - to marathon pace as the race nears. 5K/10K runners do more middle distance marathon to half marathon pace early, moving to threshold work closer to race time - all based on current fitness, not your goal pace

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Whatever level you are, you can learn from this book.  You can scale the training plans, but it provides information for you to determine your training paces for long runs, intervals, short repetitions, based on your current fitness (from either a recent race or a test run).  There is information on periodization - how you schedule different types of speed work.

What you won't get is a bunch of chi running bullshit about gravity pulling you along or a "just do intervals" bit of advice.

It's aimed at the serious runner, putting in 6 or 7 days per week, but the principles apply to folks who want to do more than run.  Specifically:

-Training paces should be based on your current fitness, not some goal in your mind
---lots of easy runs (30-60 seconds/mile slower than marathon pace) with very short/hard intervals coming in after you've put in enough miles to preclude the interval work causing injury early in your training cycle
---interval efforts/duration get closer to your intended goal race as it gets closer - marathon runners move to threshold work and then do lots of running at half marathon - to marathon pace as the race nears. 5K/10K runners do more middle distance marathon to half marathon pace early, moving to threshold work closer to race time - all based on current fitness, not your goal pace

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, I'll probably pick up that book then.

Right now, doing a marathon isn't so much as an unreasonable idea as a mismatch of concepts - the Cuban Missile Crisis going out on a date. I can run 5k without dying, barely. But not much more than that. I have a 5k race next weekend, and then CW after that. Once that's over I want to work on extending my distance and then on getting my times down. I ran my fastest mile (8:08) on Tuesday but at the end of it there was no way I'd be able to take on another 2 miles, so I did intervals.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Back in the saddle yesterday.  Hip resovlved itself.  5 miles in about 42 minutes.  Could tell i took a few days off.  Not as easy as it was last week.

Started through Daniels book.  There is A Lot of information to digest in there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
doing a 5k this weekend, my training has consisted of lifting weights and jogging 5k twice in the past month...

I'll be content with a time under 40 minutes
View Quote

35 and change, still slow as hell but ill take it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#28]
10K today in 52.06.

Keep it up ya'll.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Waiting for my possible Boston Marathon acceptance tomorrow. Going to hit that F5 key every minute.

How is it possible to qualified for a marathon and not get accepted by 1 second?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Waiting for my possible Boston Marathon acceptance tomorrow. Going to hit that F5 key every minute.

How is it possible to qualified for a marathon and not get accepted by 1 second?
View Quote
Good luck.

That would be a nice accomplishment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Speed demon!

Hope you get in!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Did a half marathon Sunday on a six day notice. It was a charity event. 1:17:10 on about 10 miles a week of running.

I struggle balancing running and strength training at this point. Hope to shake that out pretty soon.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Did a half marathon Sunday on a six day notice. It was a charity event. 1:17:10 on about 10 miles a week of running.

I struggle balancing running and strength training at this point. Hope to shake that out pretty soon.
View Quote

Let me know how you do it
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Bought a new mountain bike today.  Looking to get some more cross work in on non-running days with something easier on the knees.

Continuing the simplish interval training I started.  Now hoping to knock 50.00 flat out before end of October.  We will see.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#35]

51.08 10K today.  So close I can taste it.

Chevyn, did you get into Boston?
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been trying to improve my running off and on for the last year (knee issues, illness).  This week I set a new PR:  24:03 5k.  Trying to get my 5k under 20, and slowly working up to a marathon distance.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Relax, you're all faster than I am. Small prairie creatures watch and laugh as I chug by, but at least I'm moving.

Like reading your stories. I started out in 2012 at 5'11" and 250 pounds, dropped the weight, started running, things were going well then had problems with my knees. Had the left one scoped and had some infection issues brought on by my own dumb ass not staying off of it long enough. Took about a year before I could do more than walk...slow.

About 14 months ago I started walking. Then in Feb. after coming back from my yearly trek to photograph an Ultra Marathon in Destin FL I checked in with my orthopedic guy about putting some running into the program. Got the go ahead and then slowly, very slowly progressed to a jog/walk regimen and have worked up to more jogging than walking.  

Last July (2015) about 300 yards of walking and the left knee was toast, last Sunday, the day after my 66th birthday I did 6.2 miles. They weren't fast miles but it was a goal I'd been working toward for quite awhile.

I've got some arthritis that gives me fits but jogging and walking seems to keep that in check.

Glad I found this thread.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Year one goal met.

6.2 miles in 49.56 on Tuesday of this week.

Now to figure out something realistic to shoot for in the next six months.  7.30 min/mile, maybe?
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Relax, you're all faster than I am. Small prairie creatures watch and laugh as I chug by, but at least I'm moving.

Like reading your stories. I started out in 2012 at 5'11" and 250 pounds, dropped the weight, started running, things were going well then had problems with my knees. Had the left one scoped and had some infection issues brought on by my own dumb ass not staying off of it long enough. Took about a year before I could do more than walk...slow.

About 14 months ago I started walking. Then in Feb. after coming back from my yearly trek to photograph an Ultra Marathon in Destin FL I checked in with my orthopedic guy about putting some running into the program. Got the go ahead and then slowly, very slowly progressed to a jog/walk regimen and have worked up to more jogging than walking.  

Last July (2015) about 300 yards of walking and the left knee was toast, last Sunday, the day after my 66th birthday I did 6.2 miles. They weren't fast miles but it was a goal I'd been working toward for quite awhile.

I've got some arthritis that gives me fits but jogging and walking seems to keep that in check.

Glad I found this thread.
View Quote

Good luck to you, and glad you stuck with it.

I do worry about breaking down, as I get older.  That has to really suck, when there is nothing you can really do about it.

The more I look around me when I am out and about, the more I realize that some running, really any running, probably puts someone ahead of at least 90% of the population in the U.S.A.

I'm not casting stones, because I was there as recently as February, but I think it's true.

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I ran an 8:39 mile today, current goal is a sub 12 minute mile and a half. I haven't seen that pace in 20 years. I've been focusing on lifting lately and let my running go, so I was pretty happy with that pace. I had a little more in the tank, but was a little sore from legs the other day so I used the first quarter mile as a warmup which really hurt my pace.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#41]
7:52 mile today. Next step is to stretch out the other half mile at that pace
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#42]
a BIT over weight?... to be fair though, it looks like your windbreaker/coat has a lot of wind in it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Can anyone join this party?

7 miles at 7:19 pace this morning.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

a BIT over weight?... to be fair though, it looks like your windbreaker/coat has a lot of wind in it.
View Quote
Haha.  It was windy as hell.  I was standing on the top of a mountain pass.

I was at a 33.5 or so BMI in that picture.  I'm at a 25.8 today.

Ran 4.2 miles at a 7.53 pace yesterday.  Working on building to 10K at that pace.  With a bit of a kick at the end that should put me into the high 48s.  I think I can be there in 2 weeks or so.  Also hoping to be down to a 25.0 BMI by the end of the year.  That would put me at 5'10 and 173 pounds, and not overweight by any clinical definition for the first time in probably 18 years.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Can anyone join this party?

7 miles at 7:19 pace this morning.
View Quote
Absolutely.

7.19 is chugging right along.  Good work.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I ran an 8:39 mile today, current goal is a sub 12 minute mile and a half. I haven't seen that pace in 20 years. I've been focusing on lifting lately and let my running go, so I was pretty happy with that pace. I had a little more in the tank, but was a little sore from legs the other day so I used the first quarter mile as a warmup which really hurt my pace.
View Quote
I hear you.  I have avoided weight training on my legs thus far, for that reason.  Both times I tried it, I felt like the soreness set me back.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 1:08:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Knocked out 6.2 miles in 48.52 on Sunday.

A 7.30 mile 10K is on my radar screen for 1st Qtr 2017.

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:35:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Ill throw my hat in the ring here.  Im 34 years old, prior USMC, 5'11 and about 215 with 17% BF last time I was checked by the doc.  I have never been a good distance runner although I can run a 9 min 1.5 mile and ran a 36:XX 5 mile last week before I got sick.  For me it seems to be more mental, and since I run on a treadmill its very easy to talk myself into quitting.  Im going to look up some of the books in this thread and see what I can learn.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ill throw my hat in the ring here.  Im 34 years old, prior USMC, 5'11 and about 215 with 17% BF last time I was checked by the doc.  I have never been a good distance runner although I can run a 9 min 1.5 mile and ran a 36:XX 5 mile last week before I got sick.  For me it seems to be more mental, and since I run on a treadmill its very easy to talk myself into quitting.  Im going to look up some of the books in this thread and see what I can learn.
View Quote

Dude, if you're running 1.5 miles in 9 minutes, you're not a bad runner! That 5 miler is great as well. I think you're right, it's probably mental for you. I try to let my mind wander, that seems to give me better times. I try not to look at my time or pacing until X number of songs. I also envision a physically challenging moment in my life and review how I overcame it. Zoning out and going on cruise control helps me.

I missed my goal of a sub 12 minute 1.5 mile by 6 stinking seconds today. I know I'll get it next time, though it still gets an asterisk because it's on a treadmill!
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Dude, if you're running 1.5 miles in 9 minutes, you're not a bad runner! That 5 miler is great as well. I think you're right, it's probably mental for you. I try to let my mind wander, that seems to give me better times. I try not to look at my time or pacing until X number of songs. I also envision a physically challenging moment in my life and review how I overcame it. Zoning out and going on cruise control helps me.

I missed my goal of a sub 12 minute 1.5 mile by 6 stinking seconds today. I know I'll get it next time, though it still gets an asterisk because it's on a treadmill!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess where I consider myself to be a poor runner is my wild inconsistency.  I have far more runs that started off going to be a 4 or 5 miler that end up being a 2 or less than I do successful distance runs.  Somehow I need to conquer the quitter in my head!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top