Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 2:41:55 PM EDT
Anybody ever dealt with this before?
The pain has been around for a month or two now, not getting any better or worse. It's just a mild irritant day to day, but causes issues working out and shooting handguns(extending my offhand arm forward is painful past 80% extension while gripping anything).

Any suggestions regarding care and healing are appreciated.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The pain has been around for a month or two now, not getting any better or worse. It's just a mild irritant day to day, but causes issues working out and shooting handguns(extending my offhand arm forward is painful past 80% extension while gripping anything).

Thanks!
View Quote

Tennis elbow is tendonitis, nothing more.  Treat with rest, ice, and anti-inflammatories
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Tennis elbow is tendonitis, nothing more.  Treat with rest, ice, and anti-inflammatories
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

I also like using compression on it. I use the slingshot cuffs on my elbow when I feel it getting aggravated. It can take quite some time to go away depending on a bunch of different factors. Volume does mine in. Whenever I add in volume I pay special attention. Too much too quick kills it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I also like using compression on it. I use the slingshot cuffs on my elbow when I feel it getting aggravated. It can take quite some time to go away depending on a bunch of different factors. Volume does mine in. Whenever I add in volume I pay special attention. Too much too quick kills it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

I knew I forgot something.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

I use the sling shot cuff as well for bench, OHP, anything that might aggravate it.  Stretch it about four times a day.  Acts up about once a year and slowly goes away over six weeks, really lock down on making sure form is good when lifting and will use wrist wraps a little more frequently when it flails up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Voodoo Floss
Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett
Epsom salt baths

In late 2015, I had golfer's elbow on my left arm.  Not too bad day-to-day, but it was aggravated during benching and pressing movements.  I would wrap once or twice with the Voodoo Floss and it was enough to get me by for that session.  After a while, I remembered Wendler's advice for taking Epsom salt baths.  I took one salt bath and I swear, the next training session, the pain was gone.  No more flossing needed.  Now, I just maintain about one salt bath a week.  Not one Voodoo flossing in 2016.  

The Supple Leopard is just a good overall reference.  Not necessarily needed if the floss or salt baths work for you.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Static stretching is not good for tendinitis.

I get Achilles' tendinitis occassionally, and I treat with ice bath dips (30sec dip every 5 min, for like 10 reps), increased magnesium intake, dynamic stretching (eccentric heel drops), and deep massage/"foam" rolling using a frozen water bottle.

The ice dip cools everything faster than an ice pack does, so ultimately spending one hour doing 10 reps of ice dips is going to me more restorative than a traditional 15min on/off/on/off ice pack routine for the same hour.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Would you treat golfers elbow the same?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:04:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I think i got something like this, have had some pain in wrist and forearm.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Would you treat golfers elbow the same?
View Quote

The only difference is which tendon is inflamed, so the general advice of R.I.C.E applies.  Specific devices, stretches, or massages will vary.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#10]
DH had this bad last year.  Ultimately had to resort to steroid shot in the elbow to clear it up. Nothing else worked.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Doubletap...
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
DH had this bad last year.  Ultimately had to resort to steroid shot in the elbow to clear it up. Nothing else worked.
View Quote

I had it bad a couple of years ago.  Got the shot and changed up my grip on somethings and dropped barbell curls.  It went away, don't know if it was the shot or changing or exercises.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#14]
kinesio tape
Watch a couple of youtube videos on how to apply for tennis elbow.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top