Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2016 12:04:48 PM EDT
Just venting.

I'm off night shift, and working on undoing the havoc that wreaked. Started working out again, and I'm a few weeks into low carb with a short term goal of getting down to 225 (longer term goal is 200ish then re-evaluate target).

We're camping with the big group of friends and family. I hate these things, because even when I'm not particularly trying to be healthy, the sheer gluttony irritates me. Just a constant flow of junk food, sugar, only stopping for meals.

Makes me grouchy on the inside, like an alcoholic at a keg party.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems to me that fat people eat even when they are not hungry.  At Costco for instance, they just can't seem to make it past any sample table.  The annoying part is they abandon their cart sideways in the isle to grab the latest little morsel to stuff in their pie hole.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
As a former fat guy, trust me, you're always hungry.   I noticed it immediately upon going low carb, the hunger stopped, the eating stopped and the weight fell off.

OP, think of it this way

When the bear shows up, you'll be faster than EVERYONE else.  :-)

besides, camping can be pretty low carbs.  eggs, bacon, burgers (no bun), hot dogs (no bun), fish, steak, whatever

just sit back and smoke a stogie and watch them all get diabetes.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a former fat guy, trust me, you're always hungry.   I noticed it immediately upon going low carb, the hunger stopped, the eating stopped and the weight fell off.

OP, think of it this way

besides, camping can be pretty low carbs.  eggs, bacon, burgers (no bun), hot dogs (no bun), fish, steak, whatever

View Quote

True, that's the upside of all the food, there are plenty of low carb options.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It seems to me that fat people eat even when they are not hungry.  At Costco for instance, they just can't seem to make it past any sample table.  The annoying part is they abandon their cart sideways in the isle to grab the latest little morsel to stuff in their pie hole.
View Quote

It's like it's he primary activity. Everybody gets assigned a meal, but everybody feels compelled to bring more shit to pile onto other meals, then he cupcakes and s'mores and brown bears...
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just venting.

I'm off night shift, and working on undoing the havoc that wreaked. Started working out again, and I'm a few weeks into low carb with a short term goal of getting down to 225 (longer term goal is 200ish then re-evaluate target).

We're camping with the big group of friends and family. I hate these things, because even when I'm not particularly trying to be healthy, the sheer gluttony irritates me. Just a constant flow of junk food, sugar, only stopping for meals.

View Quote

Then why do you go?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why do you assume they're not hungry? Or do you  not know the science behind it?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Pay attention out there, it's more than just camping...
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why do you assume they're not hungry? Or do you  not know the science behind it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't take a brain surgeon who watches someone finish a meal, who then begins to snack on anything put in front of them, to realize they just can't resist every tidbit they can get their hands on.

Are you fat?  Is it the food's fault or yours?

What is "The Science Behind It"?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just venting.

View Quote

One of the most important parts of a healthy lifestyle is not letting these kinds of weekends bother you.  A little junk food won't kill your gains. HAVE SOME FUN with your family and friends and hit it hard when you get back in the gym.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

One of the most important parts of a healthy lifestyle is not letting these kinds of weekends bother you.  A little junk food won't kill your gains. HAVE SOME FUN with your family and friends and hit it hard when you get back in the gym.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just venting.

Problem with that is that it seems like it's always something. I could come up with special occasions and excuses more often than not. How many times a week should a person be eating cupcakes, cookies, and ice cream? (Rhetorical question) Camping, weekends at the cabin, this, that, the other thing. If I was just trying to maintain, it wouldn't be a big deal. I'm kinda coming off a rock-bottom moment when Insaw a picture of myself from Father's Day and thought "Holy fucking shit, that's me?" Feel like I looked like a damn internet meme or something. So I'm on a mission to lose a bag of softener salt or so. iIm scared of getting derailed and want to make hay while the sun shines. I'm in a good fat-burning mode, people are noticing and commenting. I don't want to end up in the "tomorrow I'll buckle down again" trap, because I've spent a lot of time there. I just need to make it out of this intact, and I'l be back in my Safe Space.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It doesn't take a brain surgeon who watches someone finish a meal, who then begins to snack on anything put in front of them, to realize they just can't resist every tidbit they can get their hands on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They eat, because they're always hungry. They're hungry because of what they eat.  Simple matter of the hormonal effect of various foods.  Quite simple science actually.  Once I figured it out and how to stop it, I quit being hungry and have lost well over 100lbs.  

I went from being the guy that could eat at a Chinese buffet, and ice cream on the way home, and a snack 2 hours later, to going days without eating or being hungry. Because I learned the very simple science of it all.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:47:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

As a society, I think we need to take up smoking again....

The thing about "cheat meals" is everyday there's cheat meal.  People are fucking addicts, it's worse than drugs and will be justified on any whim, and society has slowly reshaped itself to coddle these standards.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Plan your own meals separately and share the time together if not the food.

If you can't cherry pick from what is made.

Be polite, but just say you're watching what you eat.

Just because it's there doesn't mean that you have to eat it.

Don't rely on others to make something healthy (see first sentence.)
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't be the guy who jumps all over fat people just because you are currently slightly less fat than them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't be the guy who jumps all over fat people just because you are currently slightly less fat than them.
View Quote

Nope, not being that guy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The thing about "cheat meals" is everyday there's cheat meal.  People are fucking addicts, it's worse than drugs and will be justified on any whim, and society has slowly reshaped itself to coddle these standards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, it's a slippery slope. If I'm gonna relax and let my guard down, it's gonna be at a restaurant where I'll order something off the menu that's not quite in line with my goals. Here, I might wake up 8 days later in a fleabag motel in Vegas surrounded by empty boxes of Krispy Kreme and family size Mac and Cheese.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Plan your own meals separately and share the time together if not the food.

If you can't cherry pick from what is made.

Be polite, but just say you're watching what you eat.

Just because it's there doesn't mean that you have to eat it.

Don't rely on others to make something healthy (see first sentence.)
View Quote

Yep, the upside is plenty to cherry pick from.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#18]
While everyone sits around eating, why not go for a hike or find a fishing hole, or just go off and have some fun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#19]
If you hate it so much why go?  Obviously you dont care about these people as you just call them fatties and talk shit about them behind their backs on the internet.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's natural to be grossed out by fatties as you become more fit. Not that you don't like other fat people. Maybe more that you hate your former fat self.

I have many fat friends. Some are really great people that I'm very close with. But it discuss' me what they put in their mouths and the affect it has on them. I used to do the same.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's natural to be grossed out by fatties as you become more fit. Not that you don't like other fat people. Maybe more that you hate your former fat self.

I have many fat friends. Some are really great people that I'm very close with. But it discuss' me what they put in their mouths and the affect it has on them. I used to do the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, I'm still fat. Just trying to get unfat. I think your observation about disliking the fat self has a lot of merit. It was disgust when I saw the picture of me fat that Kickstarted my quest to drop 25. (Not that I won't still be plenty fluffy at 225, just aiming for an attainable win)
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hell, I'm still fat. Just trying to get unfat. I think your observation about disliking the fat self has a lot of merit. It was disgust when I saw the picture of me fat that Kickstarted my quest to drop 25. (Not that I won't still be plenty fluffy at 225, just aiming for an attainable win)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, you are just starting to see how diet works; take CLICK and erud's advice, prepare accordingly, it's gonna get worse for you...personally I am repulsed by the sugar content of the entire Sam's Club store (I assume its the same for Costco, just not a member there).  Aisle upon aisle of shitty food. (I go for the nuts, meat and produce)
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I assume you are car camping?

I would just call that lounging outside most of the time.

Strap on a pack, go hike 10 miles and set up a camp site, the fatties won't find you there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I assume you are car camping?

I would just call that lounging outside most of the time.

Strap on a pack, go hike 10 miles and set up a camp site, the fatties won't find you there.
View Quote

They'll die along the way trying to hike out there.

I did a quick 4 miles yesterday with 30 lbs. It just sucks most of it was on flat ground. Squats today. OHP tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OP, think of it this way

View Quote

As a almost former fat guy I agree with this 100%
Cutting out carbs was huge for me, its like a lite went off in my brain that said "oh, you dont need to eat every 2 hours"
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Cutting out carbs was huge for me, its like a lite went off in my brain that said "oh, you dont need to eat every 2 hours"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, think of it this way

Third it.

Not trying any special type diet, just trying to eat healthy, low carb, low sugar high protein and lots of fresh everything.

That may fall into some kind of diet category I just don't have one.
Log what I eat and try to watch calorie intakes while not losing my energy levels. That happened to me in the past.
Working out, you have to have the energy to do it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#27]
TBH, I never had a problem with it after I lost all my weight (put on ~40 lbs in my late late 20s, got serious about getting rid of it when I turned 30 and did). Somewhere along the line I lost the taste for the sugar and the junk food, and I straight up don't want it beyond maybe a little bit. Probably had a lot to do losing weight by doing a weight loss competition at my gym. I was super competitive about it and came in second place. Along the way I didn't see junk food as something great I had to give up, I saw it as the enemy that would make me lose. Made it a LOT easier to give up. That ended up staying in my mindset even after the competition was over and done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top