Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2016 8:28:47 AM EDT
It seems most of you know that it helps to set goals publicly.  I am aiming for these at or around my October APFT.

PU 82
SU 92
Run 11:30
Bench 5 reps of 225
Body weight down to 175

A little background.  I currently weigh about 198.  I started running again at the beginning of March after two years of almost nothing.  I did my first measured run on 05 April and manged 3 in 22:00.  I have been lifting at home with dumbbells since last November doing this minus the wrist curl.  I rarely 'go into the big gym" but I have been mixing in some barbell work lately.  yesterday I started on bench.  Warmup was 135 x 10 followed by 185 x 5, 185 x 3, and 135 x 10.  I've never really known what I was doing with weights.  I probably could have done more reps but I was working without a spotter.  I know I can make the run and situp goals.  The pushups, bench, and body weight are a bit of a question.  

Feel free to advise, mock, or encourage.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I would guess from your goals that you want to max the APFT?

3 miles @ 7:20 probably puts you at 13:30 for the 2 mile. Moderate road mileage and 400-800 meter intervals will be your friend, adjust mileage accordingly to allow for interval work.

It will be hard to get the 225x5 without frequenting the gym, and if your going there to bench, you might as well squat,deadlift,press, and row as well.  Starting strength and Stronglifts are good beginner barbell programs

How is your body composition now? How tall are you? Leaning out would help the run times and the pushups without a doubt.

Best of luck, we're rooting for you.  Others will be along that have actually done the APFT to give better advice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm 5'10".

The run is not an issue. I have run in the low 12s before when I weighed 205. I ran in the low 9s at one point in my life. My body composition is not bad, I tape at 18%. That isn't super accurate, but I'm not a blob.  

I already max the APFT for my age group on the current scale. Those goals are the max scores for the 17-21 age group on the old pre-1998 scale.

I am making the transition from the home dumbbell workout to more time I the gym. This week will be twice at the gym and once at home.  Losing the weight might be the hardest part.

I'll be 43 in September.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm 5'10".

The run is not an issue. I have run in the low 12s before when I weighed 205. I ran in the low 9s at one point in my life. My body composition is not bad, I tape at 18%. That isn't super accurate, but I'm not a blob.  

I already max the APFT for my age group on the current scale. Those goals are the max scores for the 17-21 age group on the old pre-1998 scale.

I am making the transition from the home dumbbell workout to more time I the gym. This week will be twice at the gym and once at home.  Losing the weight might be the hardest part.

I'll be 43 in September.
View Quote

Are you still in? That's a stellar PT test if you can manage that, at 43 years old. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Are you still in? That's a stellar PT test if you can manage that, at 43 years old. Good luck!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 5'10".

I'll be 43 in September.

I'm in the Guard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top