Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2016 10:26:40 PM EDT
I'm wearing some Inov8 trail shoes now, I like them but the Inov8 functional fitness shoes were a minimal design (these are more padded but still only a 6mm drop).

I run as far as 5k, never further and don't intend to.  If I need to wear a more dedicated shoe for the mile+ runs that's fine too

Options as I see it now-

1- low rise Nano 2/3/4/5?

2- mid rise Nano 2/3/4/5?

3- Inov8 I liked thise a lot, but they wore out fast.  This is a newer design that might last longer

4- Nike Metcon

5- Addidas Adipure

Other?  My wife thinks I need separate shoes for running more than 800m, but I ran several 5ks in my Inov8 240s that were pretty similar to a Nano.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Nano 5 IMO. I love them. I run up 5k in them and am totally fine. That doesn't mean YOU will be fine, but it's fine for me. I like them enough I'm going to get a second pair that a less obnoxious color for days when I might be on my feet a lot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nano 5 IMO. I love them. I run up 5k in them and am totally fine. That doesn't mean YOU will be fine, but it's fine for me. I like them enough I'm going to get a second pair that a less obnoxious color for days when I might be on my feet a lot.
View Quote

Sigh.

I'm trying really hard to stay away from the Nano because my wife and EVERYONE that does crossfit with her has them.  I'm anti clique.  

Maybe having the mid height shoe will offset the lemming feeling I'll get when I wear them  At least the colors aren't TOO obnoxious anymore.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sigh.

I'm trying really hard to stay away from the Nano because my wife and EVERYONE that does crossfit with her has them.  I'm anti clique.  

Maybe having the mid height shoe will offset the lemming feeling I'll get when I wear them  At least the colors aren't TOO obnoxious anymore.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.

I hear you. I'm the same way. I wore Inov8s for a long time (had 2-3 different pairs) the New Balance Minumus, etc...I finally gave in and got Nano's even though I hate the branding and well...it's worth it. Don't be so anti-clique that you miss something good
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I hear you. I'm the same way. I wore Inov8s for a long time (had 2-3 different pairs) the New Balance Minumus, etc...I finally gave in and got Nano's even though I hate the branding and well...it's worth it. Don't be so anti-clique that you miss something good
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.

I was thinking that when my wife was telling me how much she likes her Nanos better than her Inov8s.  Didn't tell her that, but I was thinking it.

I've also been looking at these as a casual shoe because I liked my minimal Inov8s so much, they are a little hippy/yuppie for me but I bet they are nice in an office.  I might have to get some patchouli or something...

http://www.lemsshoes.com/mens-primal-2-brown.html

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:51:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I have two pairs of gym shoes.  

Nike Flex run for gym stuff and a good pair of asics for running.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:56:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:13:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was thinking that when my wife was telling me how much she likes her Nanos better than her Inov8s.  Didn't tell her that, but I was thinking it.

I've also been looking at these as a casual shoe because I liked my minimal Inov8s so much, they are a little hippy/yuppie for me but I bet they are nice in an office.  I might have to get some patchouli or something...

http://www.lemsshoes.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/brown1.jpg&maxx=690&maxy=0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.

http://www.lemsshoes.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/brown1.jpg&maxx=690&maxy=0

I have been wearing them as every day type sneakers in black for several years. Very comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#8]
The mid-rise nano5 has a little more subdued branding, and I'm so far a fan of my Nano5's, no complaints, they have gotten better over time. Not sure if it's going to beat out the Nano3 as my favorite but it's a good shoe, CFHQool-Aid aside.

I considered the mid-rise, but was concerned about ankle mobility in them. Didn't want to risk it.

I did not care for the metcon, even though I definitely prefer the romaleos to the adipowers.

If you can get the 5's on sale for under 80, I'd go with them. The dark color (I have shark) doesn't blare the branding quite so bad.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#9]
check out strike movement.

http://strike-mvmnt.com/

Ive got two pairs and I use the chill pills for my warmups and deadlifts.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I have enjoyed the firm and flat soles in my Converse All-stars but they are too long and too narrow. I really need an 11 1/2 wide and I don't think they make such a thing. The 12 just doesn't work great- it squeezes my toes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#11]
New Balance 410s.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
New Balance 410s.
View Quote

Not a bad option, sorta 70's styled.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New Balance 410s.

http://www.newbalance-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/u410jpin-3-opt.jpg

Is that what you wear? Because my 410s look nothing like that. 410v4.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have been wearing them as every day type sneakers in black for several years. Very comfortable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.

Those are kind of interesting.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New Balance 410s.

I like the looks of those.  I would stay away from the converse unless you're not running at all.  I use the nano5 for everything.  Just kind of fugly.  Especially mine which are neon yellow with various stains on them.  I don't like even running a mile in nanos though.  No cushion at all.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
New Balance 410s.

No, just grabbed that off google.

Here is what I'm wearing (more modest colors though).  This is my second pair of these, the Inov8 F255 trail running shoe.  It's ok, low rise but too padded for me.  Inbetween my two pairs of these I had the 235 functional fitness shoes (pictured above) which was the nicest shoe I'd ever owned, but it was worn out on the sides after 6-8 months.  A bit narrow which maybe contributed to the wear.

Found the the 410v4, very different shoe.  Are these what you've got?  This is the kind of shoe I used to wear a lot, now I'm a convert to the minimalist shoe.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#18]

I've had those in the past, but now that I've work minimal sole shoes, I'm hooked.  Big departure for me as I wore boots everywhere I went for years, always wanted to protect my feet.  I feel a little vulnerable in minimalist shoes, but soooo comfy.

Quoted:

If you get some I'd like a report on how you like them.  They look interesting and would work better for an everyday shoe and around an office than a colorful athletic shoe.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've had those in the past, but now that I've work minimal sole shoes, I'm hooked.  Big departure for me as I wore boots everywhere I went for years, always wanted to protect my feet.  I feel a little vulnerable in minimalist shoes, but soooo comfy.

If you get some I'd like a report on how you like them.  They look interesting and would work better for an everyday shoe and around an office than a colorful athletic shoe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They look a bit like a non-athletic version of the nano
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

They have RED if your feet are attention whores and need people to see them.

Or you could always spray paint CR5FT on them

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://www.lemsshoes.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/card1.jpg&maxx=690&maxy=0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.lemsshoes.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/card1.jpg&maxx=690&maxy=0

My feet are definitely not attention whores, and black/grey/brown work fine...of course I have bright blue nanos, but those are for working out lol
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigh.

I like the looks of that shoe, I think I'm going to order a pair.  Anyone have any e-coupons for them?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I like the looks of that shoe, I think I'm going to order a pair.  Anyone have any e-coupons for them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.

It says 10% off if you sign up for their mailing list. I may get the gray ones.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Here is what I'm wearing (more modest colors though).  This is my second pair of these, the Inov8 F255 trail running shoe.  It's ok, low rise but too padded for me.  Inbetween my two pairs of these I had the 235 functional fitness shoes (pictured above) which was the nicest shoe I'd ever owned, but it was worn out on the sides after 6-8 months.  A bit narrow which maybe contributed to the wear.

http://gzhls.at/p/874780.jpg

Found the the 410v4, very different shoe.  Are these what you've got?  This is the kind of shoe I used to wear a lot, now I'm a convert to the minimalist shoe.

https://www.shoeshow.com/FS/PRODUCTS/516262/1/516262_images_01.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
New Balance 410s.

http://gzhls.at/p/874780.jpg

https://www.shoeshow.com/FS/PRODUCTS/516262/1/516262_images_01.jpg

Those are the ones I wear. Just in all black. They are cheap and easy to replace as every Academy has them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Im still in love with Nano 4's
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Page two says running is bad.

Tagged.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Tagged.
View Quote

Was going to run a 5k this morning to get ready for the 'real' one next week.  Got snowed out

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#28]
The nike metcons are not comfortable for walking around town - they'd suck for running.

They work fine in the gym for lifting.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Was going to run a 5k this morning to get ready for the 'real' one next week.  Got snowed out

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tagged.

Sounds like a good reason to use Skwaat shoes instead of running shoes... But it's non of my business.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sounds like a good reason to use Skwaat shoes instead of running shoes... But it's non of my business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tagged.

Squat PR yesterday.  My friend says 'squats are all you ever do', I agreed but then it's pretty tough to do much else one-handed.  I've gained a lot more mobility in my hips and ankles over the last few months and I think I could go fairly heavy in a flat shoe like the Nano, even on a high bar squat.  Running is fine in the shoes I've got, they are a 6mm drop but somewhat padded, I really liked the Functional Fitness shoes (Inov8 version of the Nano) and was surprised how much I liked running in them.  Well, not liked running, but liked wearing them to hate running.

I wonder if I could just give the fundraiser an extra $50 to not make me run their stupid 5k...
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#31]
For lifting, I cycle between Reebok Nano 5.0s and a couple 2.0's. I also rotate in Nike Metcon 1's and Lalo Tactical Grinders.

I hope to get some Topo Athletic Halsa's soon. Have been reading very good things about them.

The lifters here have shown me the benefit of a firm, slightly elevated heel for squats and some other lifts.

***I would never consider running anything over a quarter mile in any of the above shoes.

For my running training, (have completed a couple half marathons) I am using the Altra Paradigm 1.5 and the Hoka Bondi 4 in wide width.

I hope to get the Topo Athletic UltraFly next month which will be a 30mm heel and 25mm forefoot.

For everyday wear, it goes from anything from old Altra's to Sketchers, to Chuck Taylors to some Teva's.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#32]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IEYVVWA/ref=pd_aw_sbs_309_of_49?ie=UTF8&dpID=41ED58fuZyL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR200%2C132_&refRID=1YTYCY8KKB1C9ZPVB6HH

I typically wear asolo boots but I wear the shoes running, lifting, and if I feel like wearing shoes which is hardly ever.

I bought mine frome sierra trading post for cheap. They wereaadvertised as green. I I had known they were camo I would have passed and picked a different style.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#34]
These just showed up.  Incredibly comfy, I should have bought them a long time ago.  It's going to really suck telling my wife she was right, again.

Pictured next to my Inov8s that wore out way too fast- like the previous two pairs did.  Branding on the Nanos isn't horrible, but it still looks like I'm trying to tell the world I do crossfit.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

These just showed up.  Incredibly comfy, I should have bought them a long time ago.  It's going to really suck telling my wife she was right, again.

Pictured next to my Inov8s that wore out way too fast- like the previous two pairs did.  Branding on the Nanos isn't horrible, but it still looks like I'm trying to tell the world I do crossfit.

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/SCW-Shooter/5CBFA21E-10F5-4A92-99A0-FDB536E15A95.jpg

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/SCW-Shooter/CE910236-A602-4153-8DC0-694D9085CD2F.jpg
View Quote
That shoe looks....familiar.

Mine have broken in, and they are officially awesome. Sorry about the branding bullshit. The hightops are on sale, if you get them from the reebok outlet, the "deals". 65.99 shipped with 'OUTLET40' code.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:That shoe looks....familiar.

Mine have broken in, and they are officially awesome. Sorry about the branding bullshit. The hightops are on sale, if you get them from the reebok outlet, the "deals". 65.99 shipped with 'OUTLET40' code.
View Quote

Did squats in them today, worked up to three sets of 325 without a belt, sleeves or changing out of my Nanos.  Shoes felt great, no give under the weight and really comfortable.  I still can't do any olympic lifts so as soon as I can I'll see how bad my overhead position is in these shoes, I already know I'll have some trouble as I still have trouble some days in the lifted heels, but as I slowly limber up it won't be so bad.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Are there some that don't say crossfit? I need some shoes, but have a reputation to uphold... Of not being a butt fag.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Are there some that don't say crossfit? I need some shoes, but have a reputation to uphold... Of not being a butt fag.
View Quote

Just get them.  They are incredibly comfortable, even moreso when I have to clod around in my safety toe boots all day, but I've been squatting in them, running in them (treadmill, but still very comfortable), they are my around-town shoes.

Use this if you really don't want to be confused with someone who can jump around like a Kansas city faggot... (homage to Mel Brooks)

I still want to try a pair of those Primal shoes.  If anyone ordered them please post a review.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Ran another 5k last night...... 3.13 miles in 26:09.  39 seconds faster than last time. I need to get some better shoes and hopefully I can get down to my 25 minute 5k goal in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is where I would say something about even Crossfit women outlifting you...but I won't say it. That would be rude
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This is where I would say something about even Crossfit women outlifting you...but I won't say it. That would be rude
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if we really want to derail a shoe thread this far....  
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something something, Brook Wells, something something. And I'd let her.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 2:08:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's honestly what keeps me in converse or Nike
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Looking for some dedicated lifting shoes with about a 3/4" heel.  Have seen the adidas powerlift 2.0 on my price range. Anybody able to give me some fit info?
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Looking for some dedicated lifting shoes with about a 3/4" heel.  Have seen the adidas powerlift 2.0 on my price range. Anybody able to give me some fit info?
View Quote

I have the Nike Rom 2. I like them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Romaleo club rep'rsent.....

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I still want to try a pair of those Primal shoes.  If anyone ordered them please post a review.

View Quote

I  missed this. Mine should be in today.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#48]
If you're ok with flats the Merrel Trail Gloves are durable and not really lugged like a trail shoe.  I used those for Crossfit until I got my Inov8's.  I've used Inov8 xf210 and lift in the 335's.

ETA...as far as other minimal shoes, I have a pair of Vivos I wear casually and they are the most comfortably shaped shoe I've ever owned.  There really isn't any cushion, but they are so damn comfortable it doesn't matter.  I wear a 13 in Inov8 and Merrel and a 46 is perfect in Vivo.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd say have different shoes for lifting, running and casual wear.

You'll never have to replace lifting shoes. Running shoes wear out after around 300 miles, and walking in running shoes wears them out faster.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I bought the 5.0 in grey. I'm, ashamed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top