BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:01:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Already at the gym but my back is wrecked more than I thought.  Training for the next for sure.  I got so much stronger training for this one.

How'd Festivus go?

Eta:  or is it next weekend?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very cool, congrats on doing well.  

Taking a break now or right back to training for the next one?

My son that has gone from a 140lb dead to 200lb in the last few months was impressed with the stones.  I might be playing with concrete this summer....

Already at the gym but my back is wrecked more than I thought.  Training for the next for sure.  I got so much stronger training for this one.

How'd Festivus go?

Eta:  or is it next weekend?

5 days till festivus.  I have about 80% range of motion on my wrist and have only been in the gym a couple of times over the past two weeks, so I expect festivus to go very badly.  Heading out of town today and back Friday, just got back Saturday.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome stuff!
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn dude, congrats. Definitely didn't look like you left anything in the tank on any of those lifts. Gotta be happy with training and competing your ass off.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#4]
The results from Saturday's contest were posted.  I got 4th place out of the 8 in my class.  The 3 that beat me were all 300+ pounders.  I'm happy with that, but the points were so close that had I not screwed up on the yoke, I would have gotten 3rd, or even 2nd, since those places were only 1 point apart in the final results.

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The results from Saturday's contest were posted.  I got 4th place out of the 8 in my class.  The 3 that beat me were all 300+ pounders.  I'm happy with that, but the points were so close that had I not screwed up on the yoke, I would have gotten 3rd, or even 2nd, since those places were only 1 point apart in the final results.

<a href="http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/law5876/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsuvsc5yyr.png.html" target="_blank">http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g450/law5876/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsuvsc5yyr.png</a>
View Quote

That's awesome you did so well and were competitive with the bigger dudes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/law5876/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsuvsc5yyr.png.html" target="_blank">http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g450/law5876/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsuvsc5yyr.png</a>

Thanks man.  Honestly it was a little intimidating walking in and actually looking up to some guys.  Thankfully everyone was really supportive of eachother, even rooting guys on to get extra reps that would beat their score.  It was really cool that people came from PA, MD, VA, KY, MI, and WV to compete.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks man.  Honestly it was a little intimidating walking in and actually looking up to some guys.  Thankfully everyone was really supportive of eachother, even rooting guys on to get extra reps that would beat their score.  It was really cool that people came from PA, MD, VA, KY, MI, and WV to compete.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard that the guys at those types of comps are usually very supportive. It is after all a fairly small community. So it probably doesn't pay to be a prick.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Track day.

4 rounds

100 meter sprints alternating prowler and farmer's carry.
100 meter jog back
100 meter full sprint back to the equipment

(20:38)

That's a 100 meters to the pole.  The prowler was by far way, way worse than the farmer's.

Then hill sprints on the steep hill to the right.
Alternating forward, backward, forward bear crawl, backward bear crawl (that sucked) and sideways shuffle.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#9]
So I'm seriously considering doing another strongman in 10 weeks.  It has a max log clean and press.  I found the training programming used by Laurence Shahlaei to break the British max log clean and press record.  He starts 8 weeks out and it goes like this.

All working sets based off your projected 1RM.

Week 1:  8 sets of 3 reps at 60%
Week 2:  8 sets of 3 reps at 65%
Week 3:  6 sets of 3 reps at 70%
Week 4:  5 sets of 3 reps at 75%
Week 5:  4 sets of 3 reps at 80%
Week 6:  3 sets of 2 reps at 85%.
              Followed by 3 sets of 3 reps at 65% moving weight as fast as possible
Week 7:  1 set of 2 reps at 90%
Week 8:  1 rep at 100%

So for me, say I shoot for 265 1RM

Week 1:  8 sets of 3 reps at 159#
Week 2:  8 sets of 3 reps at 172#
Week 3:  6 sets of 3 reps at 185#
Week 4:  5 sets of 3 reps at 198#
Week 5:  4 sets of 3 reps at 212#
Week 6:  3 sets of 2 reps at 225#
              Followed by 3 sets of 3 reps at 172# moving weight as fast as possible
Week 7:  1 set of 2 reps at 238#
Week 8:  1 rep at 265#

Might give this a go.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok, I'm gonna have to nix the competition in 10 weeks since I have somewhere else I have to be on that day.  So, that puts my next competition in August in Norfolk, VA.  This is supposed to be a really tough contest.  But the events are pretty sweet.

Yoke press 240# (reps in a minute)
Tire flips  617#/700#/900# (or 1100 or 1170 for third flip)
Fingal Fingers and Duck Walk (one flip of 11' finger then 40' duck walk w/ 347-365#)
Throw for height (a la' highland games style) 56#, 3 attempts allowed
Atlas Stone series 300/330/360/380/405 (to 56"/52"/48"/44"/40")

Still haven't tried a yoke press.  Never seen a fingal fingers or a duck walk thingy.  Never thrown, but I theoretically should be decent at it since I have orangutang arms.  Never tried to bring a stone to 56" (shoulder it I guess?).  Sounds like fun though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Today we ordered a fingal finger from the company who made the ones for USS nationals.   We should have it in 10 days.  Here is a video of one just like it.  Looks pretty sweet.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Today we ordered a fingal finger from the company who made the ones for USS nationals.   We should have it in 10 days.  Here is a video of one just like it.  Looks pretty sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7A7fCrrF6E

View Quote

Is the weight of the pole adjustable?  What's the game, flip it back and forth X many times in Y amount of time?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Is the weight of the pole adjustable?  What's the game, flip it back and forth X many times in Y amount of time?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7A7fCrrF6E

Yeah it has to be, but I've no idea yet how.  Nationals has 5 flips for time.  My April contest has one heavy flip then a 40 foot duck walk.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Did some 18" deadlift, off of a rack.  So no touch and go.  More like gentle touch and go.

365x5
405x5
455x5
495x5
545x5  PR

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Did some 18" deadlift, off of a rack.  So no touch and go.  More like gentle touch and go.

365x5

405x5

455x5

495x5

545x5  PR
View Quote
Nice. I understand training for this movement some because, you know, you're gonna see it...but you dont' seem weak at lockout, wouldn't doing regular deads pay more dividends?

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nice. I understand training for this movement some because, you know, you're gonna see it...but you dont' seem weak at lockout, wouldn't doing regular deads pay more dividends?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

365x5
405x5
455x5
495x5
545x5  PR

Just following my program.  It throws some deficits and 18" in there every once and awhile, but not often.  Yes, my lockout is much better than my pull off the floor.  My main weakness I need to improve on is my strict press.  I'm gonna hit that hard.  Also going to throw in some Z press and reverse ring flies.

So, you gonna do any strongman this year, or just talk shit?  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just following my program.  It throws some deficits and 18" in there every once and awhile, but not often.  Yes, my lockout is much better than my pull off the floor.  My main weakness I need to improve on is my strict press.  I'm gonna hit that hard.  Also going to throw in some Z press and reverse ring flies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

365x5

405x5

455x5

495x5

545x5  PR

There is a high likelihood of just talking shit but I really am trying to do the one in RVA in June...

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is a high likelihood of just talking shit but I really am trying to do the one in RVA in June...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

365x5
405x5
455x5
495x5
545x5  PR

I thought about doing that one, but I have to be somewhere else that day, which would be tricky.  Also I would have to pull 700# from 18", which isn't happening.  I can probably break 600, not sure by how much.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I thought about doing that one, but I have to be somewhere else that day, which would be tricky.  Also I would have to pull 700# from 18", which isn't happening.  I can probably break 600, not sure by how much.
View Quote
Your inbox is full, will you PM me please? Thanks.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Been strict pressing every day going basically:

45x3
75x3
then going up by 10# every set until
175x3

Also some as many reps as possible drop sets from there.

Yesterday worked on back squats with no lockout at the top.

Working sets:

325x10
345x10
365x10

Really damned sore today.

Today got the ole' axle out and worked on my split jerk, doing 3x3s.

Worked up from 175 to 250#.

Here is 250#.  Notice how much easier it is for me than that damned log.  Maybe twice as easy?

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Strong af OP. Good work.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#22]
"Transaction Confirmation for Virginia's Strongest Man and Woman"

*sigh*

Went novice again, mostly because a buddy of mine is going to run too and it'll be nice to go head to head. Maybe this will be the time I get that First Plaaaaaaace (not gonna happen, not at an event with this many folks)...

now to go find a 12" log bar I can play with...
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"Transaction Confirmation for Virginia's Strongest Man and Woman"

*sigh*

Went novice again, mostly because a buddy of mine is going to run too and it'll be nice to go head to head. Maybe this will be the time I get that First Plaaaaaaace (not gonna happen, not at an event with this many folks)...

now to go find a 12" log bar I can play with...
View Quote

Sweet.  Now let the hate flow when you pick up the log.  If you can make it over this way one day we have a log session.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#24]
It ain't the clean, it's the pressssss.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.  But the clean also affects the press since you can't breathe and are stuck with whatever you have left over after the clean.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Yes.  But the clean also affects the press since you can't breathe and are stuck with whatever you have left over after the clean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You gonna come down to RVA and do this one? You could slim some and murder Middleweight.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You gonna come down to RVA and do this one? You could slim some and murder Middleweight.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know about murder, but I would do it if I could.  I'm probably going somewhere with my father that weekend.  I've heard it's gonna be an awesome event.  A couple guys from my gym who are competing at nationals are likely going.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#28]
There's an NAS strongman contest in Roanoke on July 23 which I may enter.

max axle C&P
DL medley w/ axle, 18" texas bar, and car DL
farmer's walk 60"
keg medley
atlas stones over 48" in a minute

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Some recent training stuff:

12 min emom:

125# per hand farmer's carry 60 ft x 2 (min 1)
12 OH squats at 95# (min (2)

That was way worse than it looks.

150 slamballs for time at 50#

10:00 exactly.
3 months ago I did 10:01.  1 second PR.
3 months before that I did 11:01.

axle bar strict press:
quick triples up to 175#.
200x2
(20/15/10):
85#x20
105#x15
125#x10

bench press:
255x10
300x3
315x1
335x1

10 mim emom

20 weighted  calf raises
8 barbell skull crushers 95#

I've made up stupider shit, but that was an odd combination.  Did the calf raises occlusion and I think my body was like WTF is this combo.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Saturday:

Stones series to 50".  Just chalk.

7 sets

150# / 175# / 215#

tire flips at 500/600#?

4 x 60'

Today:

Back squat:

135x10
185x10
225x10
275x6
315x6
365x6
405x6
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Fish breaths under the yoke:
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#32]
in other news, I need a goddam haircut.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
in other news, I need a goddam haircut.
View Quote

I just got a sweet classic flattop on Saturday.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My weekend may be clear now.  Got to looking at this again.  No way I can get to middleweight, which would be 220.  I'm sitting at 263 right now.    So, there appears to be only one HW class.  So HW it is.

Max log?  Check.
335 stone over 52.  Stone check.  52?  Never tried, but should be okay.
Truck pull?  That's probably a check.
330# keg?  Why not.
Deadlifts.  500# axle.  Check.  700# frame?  No idea.  700# 18" DL?  No idea, but it sounds a little too heavy for me.  I better try that first.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
My weekend may be clear now.  Got to looking at this again.  No way I can get to middleweight, which would be 220.  I'm sitting at 263 right now.    So, there appears to be only one HW class.  So HW it is.

Max log?  Check.

330# keg?  Why not.

Deadlifts.  500# axle.  Check.  700# frame?  No idea.  700# 18" DL?  No idea, but it sounds a little too heavy for me.  I better try that first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Max log?  Check.

330# keg?  Why not.

Word, do it. DO IT.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Word, do it. DO IT.  
View Quote

I'm gonna try to see how heavy I can go from 18" tomorrow.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Word, do it. DO IT.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Do you get to use lifting straps on the axle deadlift? I wouldn't think so, but I am curious.
Good luck on the 18" pulls!
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Do you get to use lifting straps on the axle deadlift? I wouldn't think so, but I am curious.
View Quote

Yes straps are allowed.  I think it would probably be impossible without them.  For me anyway.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes straps are allowed.  I think it would probably be impossible without them.  For me anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the axle still harder with the straps? I've never had the chance to use one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:12:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never tried it with straps.  I've done it without and it sucks even at 225# or so.  It must be worse in some respect.  Probably no rotation and no flex.  Just more awkward.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm not getting to 700 in a month.  I did get over 600 for the first time ever.  Climbed until I hit 635 and then promptly pulled a rib out of place.  I think I could hit 650 or so if I'm on my game.  But I just don't see 700 just yet.

Here is my single at 605#.  Ugly, but I definitely wasn't done yet.  I had no idea I was looking up.  Damn mirrors.  Also I was pulling at around 20" which was as low is this rack would go.  For some reason I think that's more difficult for me than 18" because it's just too damn high.  I'll have to try again over 600 at legit 18" on blocks before I give up on 700.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#43]
that looked super fast, and you seemed really far away from the bar, but maybe just my imagination.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
that looked super fast, and you seemed really far away from the bar, but maybe just my imagination.
View Quote

It wasn't the best video angle.  I'm pretty sure it maintained contact with my legs the entire time, though I do believe I was forward too much on it.  Because I was looking at myself in the mirror probably.  I should probably just be hitching it since that's GTG in strongman and would keep me backwards and give me the best shot at lifting too much weight.

Honestly, the worst thing about that was setting the weight back down lightly so as not to damage the bar, or the rack.  I think that's what pulled my rib out of place.  Not going over 600 again on anything I can't slam back down.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#45]

201# 12" log press: https://www.instagram.com/p/BFnSxEnrnan/

Whatcha think?

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

201# 12" log press: https://www.instagram.com/p/BFnSxEnrnan/

Whatcha think?

View Quote

Nice.  Sweet gym.  Have you tried using a belt?  That was a long rest in the rack.  As you move up in weight that will crush you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Nice.  Sweet gym.  Have you tried using a belt?  That was a long rest in the rack.  As you move up in weight that will crush you.
View Quote
It is a dope gym and the owner is very very nice.

I am having belt issues, as the past few months have seen EVERYTHING get bigger. Legs, arms, traps, and my middle. But my belt just doesn't have enough velcro to not pop anymore (not that it had that much to begin with) so I need to either lose some weight or lose this belt or both. I'm leaning towards both. It's just hard, cuz I love to eat.

Anyway, you're not wrong, and dicking around at the top is a problem I have with a lot of my lifts, I really need to work on that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Ok, so my rib is still sore and hurts like hell when deadlifting.  So I tried pulling the axle for the first time today.

Got to 265# without straps.  Then moved to straps.

Just worked up to 445# x 5 because I worried that the axle was going to bend past that since it's really meant for overhead work.  It's not the thickest steel.  From the feel of it, 500# will be a sure thing.  It really doesn't feel that much different than a barbell.  With straps anyway.

So then I tried to see what I could do on farmer's handles to mimic a frame deadlift.  This is the correct pick height of 15".  But, there's no real way to mimic the handle width of 32".  This was basically at my sides unfortunately.  Also instead of a stable frame, each hand is supporting separate wobbly weight.  In summation, it sucked.  And I really was only able to grind out 560#.  Thought I would do more.  Even with the better setup, I don't think there's any way I'm pulling 700 on the frame.  So I'm looking at going 1/3 on the deadlift medley.  Not that I would be that competitive in it anyways even if I went 3/3.  Because then other guys would be repping out the third implement.  Probably best just to hit the 1 and save my strength for the next event.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Fingal finger

Not sure of the exact weight.  It was at least 400#.  Chain loaded.

Worked up to that weight in singles then ran 2 sets of 5 flips for time.  First 5 was pretty slow.  Then sped up some for the second.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Bump.

First time trying overhead yoke walks.  Worked up to 300.  Sore in some weird places around my midsection from this.

Also tried yoke presses for the first time.  It was easier for me than I thought.

195 x 5
205 x 5
215 x 5
225 x 5
240 x 4

The contest weight at Brute Strength in Norfolk, in August, is 240# on this for heavyweights.  So I'm feeling pretty good about this.  Right around 3 reps, it starts swinging and that gets hard to deal with.  It's probably best to do 3 reps or so, then reset then start again.  

Hit some atlas stones, loading to 50".

240x4
240x4
270x4
270x4

Finally, ran the fingal finger for 7 reps unbroken at 400#.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top