BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/8/2016 10:42:03 PM EDT
So a little about me..
Right now I'm 42 6 foot 4 256
All through my 20s i was about 200, started creeping up in my 30s about the time i got desk job.

Last year (about his time) i was in a pretty bad accident, messed up my hip, shoulder and suffered a TBI.
I was out of work for 4 months, ended up eating fast food and frozen dinner every meal for that whole time.
now i have a huge gut and in really poor shape.

My hip is now 90% shoulder is 99% and the TBI seems to have faded ( well i don't notice the effects)

Time to get in shape.....

I want to spend two months or so losing weight, as much as i can with out doing something dangerous.
After that i want to start working on strength.

There is a planet fitness right by me but i don't trust gyms and their membership BS. And to be honest i would be lost at the gym, i would wonder in, spend ten min on a tree mill, 5 min on a machine of some
kind and leave because i wouldn't know what i was doing.

I thought about the P90x thing but i do have to be a little careful of the hip so i don't want something crazy.
and the nutrition thing? Thats some vast wasteland of to much information.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:52:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll try and chime in more when I get on my computer tomorrow.  

I'd suggest, and most here will agree to work on strength first with progressive loading with barbells.

I'm in north Utah county where are you?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:10:08 AM EDT
[#2]

It's not a gym, It's Planet Fitness...

Heard that one on the radio earlier and started laughing.  Honestly though for your current goals it would probably fit your needs.  Monthly rates are cheap enough.  And exercise is important.  Diet and nutrition even more so.  Good luck on your journey

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:25:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd suggest, and most here will agree to work on strength first with progressive loading with barbells.

View Quote

Thank you.

I don't mind the idea of strength first, but i really really want to burn off my gut so i don't look like a slob.
Will doing strength workouts burn it off as quick?
Cottonwood Heights.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thank you.

I don't mind the idea of strength first, but i really really want to burn off my gut so i don't look like a slob.
Cottonwood Heights.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Cottonwood Heights.

The only thing that's going to do that is a change in diet.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Cottonwood Heights.

But even then he'd look like a slob without any muscle.  Imo.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Been through similar in 2013 - spent a month in a hospital/rehab bed, then a few more months in a wheelchair, then a walker, and then a cane for a while.  I had a pretty decent fitness base prior to the accident, so my situation might be a bit different than yours, but I'll share the progression I used, which got me to pretty much 100% of where I was prior to the accident.  

First thing is clean up the diet - perimeter of the grocery store only, cook your meals from scratch, no fast food, minimal meals out.  

As far as working out, I started out with DDP Yoga, which was more than difficult enough for me for the first several weeks.  Once I got to where I started to feel comfortable with those sessions, I started to work in some cardio - I used a rower since I have one in the house, but an exercise bike would work as well.  I'm guessing with the hip injury, running is going to be painful, but you could try an elliptical machine if you have access to one.  To this day, my pelvis still hurts when I do run/elliptical, but it's tolerable, just not what I'd start with right away.  Running was honestly a huge mental hurdle for me, and I ended up getting hooked-up with a PT center that had a zero-gravity treadmill that can de-load some of your body weight and allow you to walk/run without 100% of your weight.

Once that stuff came together a bit (2 months or so into the yoga and cardio stuff), I started to add some body-weight stuff into the mix - push-ups, dips, pull-ups, air-squats.  Once I was to the point where I could do a few super-sets of those movements, I mentally felt ready to get back into some weights, and my doctors agreed it was time, so I picked back up on my regular workouts from that point on.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Cottonwood Heights.

Right, I guess my point was more along the lines of change diet and do strength training instead of change diet and do P90X or something else.  

I think we all would agree that a diet change and barbells for a year would yield much better results than diet change and P90X for a year.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Right, I guess my point was more along the lines of change diet and do strength training instead of change diet and do P90X or something else.  

I think we all would agree that a diet change and barbells for a year would yield much better results than diet change and P90X for a year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Cottonwood Heights.

For sure.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Thats what I'm here to find out, i can already see my plan was flawed

Im not going to have a work out partner, what can i do alone.
Is it possible to hit the gym and work out alone ( stupid question but i have no clue)
There some place i can look up a good workout routine?

Then nutrition ... ugh anyone have pointers?

Thank you all for taking the time,
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thats what I'm here to find out, i can already see my plan was flawed

Im not going to have a work out partner, what can i do alone.
Is it possible to hit the gym and work out alone ( stupid question but i have no clue)
There some place i can look up a good workout routine?

Then nutrition ... ugh anyone have pointers?

Thank you all for taking the time,
View Quote

Diet: complex carbs, lots of protein, good fats, and no sugar.

Workout: starting strength or stronglifts 5×5. Buy starting strength book and read it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Planet Fitness is the Ruger Mini 14 of the gym world.

90% of the people on ARFCOM who bad mouth it have never been inside one.

The hear the cool kids talk and they just repeat it.

Planet Fitness is IDEAL for a guy in your position!

The whole concept is for people like you and me to have a place to go and do what they think they need to do, and NOT be bothered by anyone.

We have people at my PF who are hobbling in with walkers cause they are so fat they don't trust themselves to walk, and NO ONE gives them a second glance!

You say you wouldn't know what to do?

Well nobody else there knew jack shit when they first walked in either.

If you go in and are obviously struggling with a machine, someone will help you, but normally unless you ask, you will be completely ignored.

And if you WANT good advice, my PF has a staff trainer who is available during regular 9 to 5 hours absolutely free of charge!

I'm sure the rest of them do as well.

I've been going for 5 months and I've lost 18 pounds!

I started with strength one day, treadmill work the next, and a day off.

Then when that got easier, I started doing strength AND treadmill two days followed by one day of rest.

It has worked far past my expectations!

I'm actually trying to put some weight back on as muscle now.

Go and sign up tomorrow.

You can thank me in a few months!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:02:08 AM EDT
[#12]
OP

I will tell you how I found the light.

I first came across strong lifts:  http://stronglifts.com

It is a very good program, and many here started this way as well.  If I were you I would read everything I could on that site to become familiar with the premise behind barbell strength training.  

The basic idea is you do the 4 main barbell lifts, and each time you workout you add 5 pounds more to the lift from last time.  Your body will adapt to stress, that is what forces it to change.  

When you do one of the main barbell lifts with a certain weight, your body adapts to the stress applied to it by that lift with that weight, meaning it gets a little stronger.  Next time you do that lift, you add 5 pounds.  Your body then adapts to that stress, making you a little stronger.  You keep doing that with the 4 main barbell lifts, 5 pounds at a time and you will slowly build up strength and muscle mass, and if you are not eating crap all the time lose a surprising amount of body fart.  This is not a get ripped in 90 days BS program.  This takes time and persistence, but it is well worth the effort.  

For most people in everyday life, unless you are a runner, the most beneficial adaptation you can get for your body is strength.  The best way to get strong is with barbells.  They involve the most muscle mass over the longest range of motion with the most weight possible.  (you work up to heavy weights)

Strength is an adaptation.

Running and tons of cardio causes an adaptation.  

Etc.

For everyday people, being strong and having muscle mass is MUCH more useful and beneficial than being able to run a marathon.  

Once you work up to heavy weights on the barbells, you will find your conditioning level and overall physical work capacity to be dramatically better.  

I have helped many people move in and out of houses in my neighborhood (I was EQP if you know what I mean), when it comes to moving heavy things over and over, I SMOKED everyone else who was helping, even the guys who "worked out".  We would be carrying heavy couches up the stairs, and I wouldn't even break a sweat and the guys who worked out and ran several miles a week were huffing and puffing and needing breaks.   They didn't train for strength, there is a major difference.

Once you read and understand stronglifts, which I think is actually very good for someone starting at zero, you can then, or even if you want first, read the book starting strength.  I would also go to the starting strength forums and just read, read, read.  We all had to start somewhere, and I read tons and tons.  I first found stronglifts and did the 5x5 program, then I found starting strength.  

There is even an app for stronglifts that lets you keep track of your progress.  This will all make sense if you put the time in to read.

http://startingstrength.com    Read the forums, go through and read all the threads.  Buy the book.

Anyway, this post is all over the place but you have the right resources to read now, it is up to you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#13]
You can also buy a rack and weights on KSL.

That's assuming you can put it somewhere at your house.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#14]
One more thought...

I am 42 like you.

Unless you have some amazing God given genetics, and/or are willing to dedicate TONS of time in working out and meal prep, etc, get the idea that you will be ripped with a 6 pack out of your head.  IMO that is not a real expectation for most 42 year old guys, who work and have a family.  

However, can you be a big strong capable man with a moderate amount of body fat (not slob) without having to workout 7 days a week and eat like a clean freak 24/7?  Yes you can do that.

Some may disagree with this.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The whole concept is for people like you and me to have a place to go and do what they think they need to do, and NOT be bothered by anyone.

We have people at my PF who are hobbling in with walkers cause they are so fat they don't trust themselves to walk, and NO ONE gives them a second glance!

If you go in and are obviously struggling with a machine, someone will help you, but normally unless you ask, you will be completely ignored.

And if you WANT good advice, my PF has a staff trainer who is available during regular 9 to 5 hours absolutely free of charge!

Then when that got easier, I started doing strength AND treadmill two days followed by one day of rest.

Go and sign up tomorrow.

View Quote

Sounds like you need to go to a real gym then.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One more thought...

I am 42 like you.

Unless you have some amazing God given genetics, and/or are willing to dedicate TONS of time in working out and meal prep, etc, get the idea that you will be ripped with a 6 pack out of your head.  IMO that is not a real expectation for most 42 year old guys, who work and have a family.  

However, can you be a big strong capable man with a moderate amount of body fat (not slob) without having to workout 7 days a week and eat like a clean freak 24/7?  Yes you can do that.

View Quote

I am going for a 6 pack right now. I'll let you know how it turns out I am 37.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Per one post, OP may not be able to use Planet Fitness for Starting Strength or similar programs because some don't even have free weights.

Yes, your diet is the biggest, biggest deal of all.  There were other suggestions, those are good too, I am no expert, I did and liked what they call around here something like an 80%/semi-paleo diet, basically major emphasis on no grains and eating a lot of meat and veggies (eggs, nuts, etc).  I didn't do full paleo b/c I didn't worry about all the grass fed, organic, etc. part of it (sometimes that minutia crap makes it a harder diet to keep--one of the MAIN ingredients to a good diet).  Mainly it forced me to eat a lot more fats and proteins than carbs by macro % that way--this is what will help you most IMO.

Just make sure to start slow on the weights and concentrate on form.  At 36 I did the heavy weights/add 5lbs thing for a little bit, but once weight gets too much, my joints just can't handle it, so I have backed off the weight for 5 reps and now do lighter for 8 or so on most things.  I lift weights by myself every time, so that may not be an issue with the right equipment (racks and such).  

Good luck, it takes sacrifice.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One more thought...

I am 42 like you.

Get her done!  I'm curious what it will take to get you there...then what it takes to maintain it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've been in enough commercial mid-low tier gyms to know what they are like inside.

No, the concept is to be a "Safe Space" for the timid and the weak...free from Shitlord meathead microaggressions.

This is the absolute fucking truth...and any seasoned serious gym goer and personal trainer knows this well.  If every hesitant newbie came to this realization, then they can see PF's "Judgment Free Zone" is pure BS propaganda.

Now...are they actually certified/credentialed PT's...or just someone that graduated from cleaning the tanning beds?

Go and sign up tomorrow.

That's awesome...you found the drive to make it work.  If PF was my only option...I probably could make it work too, somewhat.

But it's not I've got a Powerlifting/Strongman Gym with certified trainers and a super friendly family type atmosphere.  We have all body types and skill levels...no one is fat-shamed or "gymtimidated"

AND

We get the grunt/scream/roar...slam weights...and blast loud music!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Get her done!  I'm curious what it will take to get you there...then what it takes to maintain it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One more thought...

I am 42 like you.

Keto diet and lots of working out is my plan. Down 18#s. I figure I need to lose another 20. Not going to try to maintain. Just want to look good for one week in Hawaii.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thank you.

Cottonwood Heights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Cottonwood Heights.

I've been at the leanest I've ever been while doing nothing but lifting....diet is very important.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So a little about me..
Right now I'm 42 6 foot 4 256
All through my 20s i was about 200, started creeping up in my 30s about the time i got desk job.

Last year (about his time) i was in a pretty bad accident, messed up my hip, shoulder and suffered a TBI.
I was out of work for 4 months, ended up eating fast food and frozen dinner every meal for that whole time.
now i have a huge gut and in really poor shape.

My hip is now 90% shoulder is 99% and the TBI seems to have faded ( well i don't notice the effects)

Time to get in shape.....

I want to spend two months or so losing weight, as much as i can with out doing something dangerous.
After that i want to start working on strength.

There is a planet fitness right by me but i don't trust gyms and their membership BS. And to be honest i would be lost at the gym, i would wonder in, spend ten min on a tree mill, 5 min on a machine of some
kind and leave because i wouldn't know what i was doing.

I thought about the P90x thing but i do have to be a little careful of the hip so i don't want something crazy.
and the nutrition thing? Thats some vast wasteland of to much information.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

I've lost 13 pounds in the last 3 weeks just counting calories. If you count your calories and add in some pushups, situps, and some good cardio like walking and running you'll see those pounds melt away.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Start an account on my fitness pal and track EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth.

Eat clean. Skip the mashed potatoes and rice. Double up on veggies and meat.

No sodas or fruit juices which are mainly sugar.

Cut alcohol out

Lift things.

Start slow. This is a life style change

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Go and sign up tomorrow.

View Quote

Except for the guys who have owned a mini-14 and can report 1st hand they are inaccurate and suck.

Any gym that forbids lifting heavy isn't a place you should give money to. Any gym that sets you up for failure by giving you free pizza isn't a place you should be giving money to.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
One more thought...

I am 42 like you.

View Quote

I do disagree. I know plenty of men and women 40+ and few 50+ who look amazing- 6 packs, muscular and athletic. It's absolutely possible....without drugs as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#26]
This is what I am getting ready to do. I have a few years and a few lbs on you.  

TL:DR Kettle bell swings and slow carb diet a little different from no carb.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#27]
If you are willing to spend the money and have the dedication I suggest joining a well ran CrossFit gym.    They will run you through an elements course and then get you into the group classes.  But, they will scale everything to your ability.   Show up when you are supposed to and that end will be taken care of.

Now, you will also have to clean up your diet big time for this to work.    Do those two things and you will be well on your way.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I do disagree. I know plenty of men and women 40+ and few 50+ who look amazing- 6 packs, muscular and athletic. It's absolutely possible....without drugs as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One more thought...

I am 42 like you.

I know plenty as well, but they are not the norm IMO, and they do have to work really really hard.  My excuse giving attitude is the goal of being not a slob and having muscle and strength is more realistic for most older guys like us, that can be done with 3 workouts a week and eating decent most of the time.

I just think too many start this journey with the expectation they will look like the guys on the cover of mens health, and that is not realistic.  They end up quitting cause they get to the point where they know it will never happen.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I know plenty as well, but they are not the norm IMO, and they do have to work really really hard.  My excuse giving attitude is the goal of being not a slob and having muscle and strength is more realistic for most older guys like us, that can be done with 3 workouts a week and eating decent most of the time.

I just think too many start this journey with the expectation they will look like the guys on the cover of mens health, and that is not realistic.  They end up quitting cause they get to the point where they know it will never happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One more thought...

I am 42 like you.

Well..IMO it has less to do with age (sure, recovery is longer, results are slower and building muscle is tougher) and more to do with effort. 3 days a week eating "decent" "most" of the time? Agreed, not going to happen. Not at 45, not at 25 (for most people). 5 - 6 days a week, with solid effort and a good program? Doable for 45 or 25 based on what I've seen.

I think the unrealistic expectations come from putting in minimal effort and expecting maximum results.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well..IMO it has less to do with age (sure, recovery is longer, results are slower and building muscle is tougher) and more to do with effort. 3 days a week eating "decent" "most" of the time? Agreed, not going to happen. Not at 45, not at 25 (for most people). 5 - 6 days a week, with solid effort and a good program? Doable for 45 or 25 based on what I've seen.

I think the unrealistic expectations come from putting in minimal effort and expecting maximum results.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One more thought...

I am 42 like you.

Good point
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted for truth.

It does not require rare genetics to get in impressive shape in your 40s, 50s and beyond.

It does require commitment, discipline and hard work, though.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted for truth.

It does not require rare genetics to get in impressive shape in your 40s, 50s and beyond.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted for truth.

That's what most people lack.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted for truth.

Agree, that is why for the majority of older guys it's not realistic from the standpoint of the odds.  Odds are if you are 42 and completely out of shape you don't have what it takes to get six pack lean and maintain it.  But you can get to a decent amount of muscle, strength snd body fat.  

And I would still argue genetics plays a major role.   Even at 6 3 and 150 pounds in high school I did not have a six pack.  

Or have I just doubled down on stupid?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#34]
First thank you all, gave me a lot to think about.

Im going to go with strength training, sounds like the way to go.

I looked at the 5x5 and really like the idea but ill be working out alone for the most part and most of what they want you to do requires a spotter.
Also it sounds like planet fitness doesn't have barbells?

For nutrition i think ill follow what the 5x5 site recommends seemed simple enough.

I think most of you all frown on it but i maybe stuck with machines, is it possible to replicate the 5x5 using machines?

Next question that me reading has brought me to is supplements.
I know this may open a can of worms but i want to do shit right.

Creatine - seems like a must use, whatever is cheap and in bulk.
Vitamin D - i work indoors, i think this will help

any other suggestion?

I don't expect a magic pill, I'm willing to put in the work.
I would like to maximize the the returns though.

Not looking to get ripped, just want to be in the best shape i can be and as strong as i can be.

Also i will be working out after work, i an NOT a morning person, so no waking up at 5am to hit the gym

Monday is my go day, just want to be as ready as i can be.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:45:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I looked at the 5x5 and really like the idea but ill be working out alone for the most part and most of what they want you to do requires a spotter.
Also it sounds like planet fitness doesn't have barbells? You don't need a spotter if the gym has lifting cages.

For nutrition i think ill follow what the 5x5 site recommends seemed simple enough.

I think most of you all frown on it but i maybe stuck with machines, is it possible to replicate the 5x5 using machines?
No

any other suggestion?

Not looking to get ripped, just want to be in the best shape i can be and as strong as i can be.

Also i will be working out after work, i an NOT a morning person, so no waking up at 5am to hit the gym C4 preworkout is your friend for days you don't have the energy

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:52:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also it sounds like planet fitness doesn't have barbells? You don't need a spotter if the gym has lifting cages.

No

any other suggestion?

Also i will be working out after work, i an NOT a morning person, so no waking up at 5am to hit the gym C4 preworkout is your friend for days you don't have the energy

Just to add to the orange hair guys post, NO NO NO machines will not work for starting strength.

When you buy and READ the book you will understand the reasons why.  

You don't need a spotter as he mentioned, you need a cage or spotter arms on a squat rack.  

Get after it!  Put the time in on the reading and research, it is well worth it.  If you aren't willing to do the easy reading would you be willing to do the program?  

ETA I never have a spotter, but I will admit on heavy bench days it does make me nervous at times...
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:01:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just to add to the orange hair guys post, NO NO NO machines will not work for starting strength.

You don't need a spotter as he mentioned, you need a cage or spotter arms on a squat rack.  

Get after it!  Put the time in on the reading and research, it is well worth it.  If you aren't willing to do the easy reading would you be willing to do the program?  

ETA I never have a spotter, but I will admit on heavy bench days it does make me nervous at times...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

any other suggestion?

Lol been doing all kinds of reading the past two days.
Ill see what kind of gym i can find around here and look for one with a cage.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:31:49 AM EDT
[#38]
SO looks like there are 50 different kinds of C4, what one do you recommend?
Amazon reviews are sure glowing, is this something to user every day or just when you are feeling low energy?

If I'm reading it right it is pretty much just an energy booster?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:04:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Amazon reviews are sure glowing, is this something to user every day or just when you are feeling low energy?

View Quote

Never had it but I've heard c4 is good.  I saw it at Costco today.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it; but t I only use it once or twice a week.  I think I've currently got the watermelon flavor and I usually only take a half or third of a scoop, so it lasts a long time for me.

To reiterate MDI & cake, you really don't need a spotter.  Take it slow for the first little while, MDI isn't too far away and can probably help you out if you need it.  I've only been lifting for just under a year and a half but I still have never used a machine at all.  Barbells only.  All you need is a stand or squat rack and some floor space.  All that other stuff will look pretty silly after a while when you get into the groove.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

The cheapest one you can find. Watch out because they make a 60 serving and 30 serving size so read which one you are getting. I use it before my workouts to get me going. It really helps on days I don't feel like doing anything.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Agree, that is why for the majority of older guys it's not realistic from the standpoint of the odds.  Odds are if you are 42 and completely out of shape you don't have what it takes to get six pack lean and maintain it.  But you can get to a decent amount of muscle, strength snd body fat.  

And I would still argue genetics plays a major role.   Even at 6 3 and 150 pounds in high school I did not have a six pack.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted for truth.

"odds are you're a lazy fuck and will never put forth the requisite effort if this is you"

true

So...I always thought the same about genetics...then I really got serious about diet and fitness and guess what happened?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

"odds are you're a lazy fuck and will never put forth the requisite effort if this is you"

true

So...I always thought the same about genetics...then I really got serious about diet and fitness and guess what happened?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted for truth.

true

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

true

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted for truth.

true

Awesome genetics don't hurt though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Awesome genetics don't hurt though.
View Quote

No doubt...but IMO genetics won't keep anyone from being 10% BF with a 6 pack with enough work and a smart plan.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go and sign up tomorrow.

So what do these "Real" gyms have that my local PF doesn't?

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go and sign up tomorrow.

Squat racks, maybe.

More importantly it's what "real" gyms don't have that your local PF does have: bullshit rules that prevent people from lifting hard.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I travel all over the country for work and in the past year I've lifted in 8 states in whatever gym I can find.  PF is the only one I completely reject without even looking at it.  I did try them out at first but they had smith machines instead of squat racks and the closest thing to a barbell was their fixed weight bars going up to 60lbs.  

If you can swing the $20 and really want to learn about strength training, buy a book called Starting Strength.  It will teach you why those are really lousy options.  Seriously, it would be really, really hard to make significant improvements to ones strength or fitness at PF, unless you are an outlier to most people.  

I have found a few Anytime Fitness locations have real strength training equipment, but most are not set up for that, they are for the guys that want to spend some time on cable machines and never squat.  Most, like PF, don't even have squat racks, but they do have better cable equipment than PF.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
]So what do these "Real" gyms have that my local PF doesn't?

View Quote

Free weights.

I still have a PF membership. It's $10 a month, and I go there on cardio/core days, and for stuff I can easily do with cables/dumbbells, like bis/tris, part of shoulders, etc. It's a minute down the road from my other gym, and way less crowded.

But I go to the real gym for everything else -- chest, back, legs, OHP, etc.

Actually, depending on the day, I'll do half at the real gym and half at PF because it's faster than waiting around for stuff. Like tonight is chest, so more than likely I'll do my flat/incline/decline benching at the gym, then head to PF to do cable flies, etc.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Free weights?

Are you talking about those black steel wheel looking things that you put on a pole and lift?

Or maybe the LITTLE black wheel looking things that are permanently attached to the pole that you lift.

Whats your opinion of the Ruger Mini14?

(And yes, these are actual pictures of MY local PF in Rockledge Florida.)

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top