BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 35
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well the only reason I check the scale is to make sure im not going the opposite way and Im not. What would 4k calories even look like? I know people who eat 6k and I just cant imagine that. However, I have not spoken with a single guy (who makes 5 of me) who've said anything different than what you are. Any advice to help hit that calorie goal without resorting to just utter junk? I couldnt afford to eat double the salmon that I am etc. I could eat a ton more hamburger though, have a bunch of that in the freezer...
View Quote

Dude...

Just eat.  Go get some damn for and eat it.  The ONLY food that isn't clean enough is a cheeseburger that fell on the floor of a truck stop in Jean Nevada.  

Or decide what the hell you want.  Do you want to obsess over every calorie and watch 'the damn liar' (bathroom scale), do you want to be as skinny as a 13 year old girl, or do you want to pick up heavy stuff like a man?

Here's your new plan, just like the old plan.  But you don't have to listen to The Who, but it helps

Q- are you eating?
A-  yes.  Take another bite.  Don't order that damn club sandwich from Chick fil a, order the damn club AND an order of tenders.  Eat them on the way home from work before dinner.  

Here's another hint-  if it ain't working, don't double down.  You aren't going to get strong and thin at the same time very fast and without a LOT of dialed in diet and exercise.  Wanna get strong fast?  Shut up and eat.  All of it.  Twice.  And put the scale in the closet.  Get fat for a while, keep getting fat for a while and all of a sudden the fat gain will slow, then stop.  Then with easy changes it comes off, but now those changes might effect strength so you need to decide what the priorities are again.

Oh, and OHP seems to get stuck for me too, I was stuck at 107 for a loooong time, then suddenly popped to 125 in what seemed like overnight.  I've been stuck at 165 now for about two months.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Dude...

Just eat.  Go get some damn for and eat it.  The ONLY food that isn't clean enough is a cheeseburger that fell on the floor of a truck stop in Jean Nevada.  

Or decide what the hell you want.  Do you want to obsess over every calorie and watch 'the damn liar' (bathroom scale), do you want to be as skinny as a 13 year old girl, or do you want to pick up heavy stuff like a man?

Here's your new plan, just like the old plan.  But you don't have to listen to The Who, but it helps

Q- are you eating?
A-  yes.  Take another bite.  Don't order that damn club sandwich from Chick fil a, order the damn club AND an order of tenders.  Eat them on the way home from work before dinner.  

Here's another hint-  if it ain't working, don't double down.  You aren't going to get strong and thin at the same time very fast and without a LOT of dialed in diet and exercise.  Wanna get strong fast?  Shut up and eat.  All of it.  Twice.  And put the scale in the closet.  Get fat for a while, keep getting fat for a while and all of a sudden the fat gain will slow, then stop.  Then with easy changes it comes off, but now those changes might effect strength so you need to decide what the priorities are again.

Oh, and OHP seems to get stuck for me too, I was stuck at 107 for a loooong time, then suddenly popped to 125 in what seemed like overnight.  I've been stuck at 165 now for about two months.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well the only reason I check the scale is to make sure im not going the opposite way and Im not. What would 4k calories even look like? I know people who eat 6k and I just cant imagine that. However, I have not spoken with a single guy (who makes 5 of me) who've said anything different than what you are. Any advice to help hit that calorie goal without resorting to just utter junk? I couldnt afford to eat double the salmon that I am etc. I could eat a ton more hamburger though, have a bunch of that in the freezer...

Dude...

Q- are you eating?

lol i love this.I have no issues eating food. im fine with that.im gonna math out some meals and see what i can come up with.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

lol i love this.I have no issues eating food. im fine with that.im gonna math out some meals and see what i can come up with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude...

Q- are you eating?

It's not simple sometimes, I'm trying to hit 3k daily and it isn't always easy--fill with lots of nuts and nut butters if you can-very calorie dense when you need it and IMO not bad for you.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
alright yesterday I started eating alot more food, reconfigured MFP to gain 1 lbs a week. (max it would go) and it put me at like 3,040.
I ate over that yesterday and have 595 left for today and its only 2pm.
I had to hit the gym today, my days got out of order but I did a few things different this time.

Headphones- I couldnt take the gym music anymore, helped me get a little pumped.
rest- Got alot more, thankfully kids are starting to sleep 90% of the night now.
food- increased.

squats felt great, no issues, ready to push on into the 140's where I stopped before.
Overhead press, 50lbs hammered out. the last rep of the last 2 sets was slightly wobbly but nbd. ready to hit 55 where I stopped.
deadlift, did 155 lbs which was a milestone goal for me to hit. Wasnt too bad.

So let me ask again. Should I add any exercises to this routine? Dips?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
alright yesterday I started eating alot more food, reconfigured MFP to gain 1 lbs a week. (max it would go) and it put me at like 3,040.
I had to hit the gym today, my days got out of order but I did a few things different this time.

Headphones- I couldnt take the gym music anymore, helped me get a little pumped.
rest- Got alot more, thankfully kids are starting to sleep 90% of the night now.
food- increased.

squats felt great, no issues, ready to push on into the 140's where I stopped before.
Overhead press, 50lbs hammered out. the last rep of the last 2 sets was slightly wobbly but nbd. ready to hit 55 where I stopped.

View Quote

Are you eating back the calories you burn working out?

Just more weight and maybe pullups. Is anyone helping you with form and lifting cues? Did you read starting strength?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just more weight and maybe pullups. Is anyone helping you with form and lifting cues? Did you read starting strength?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

food- increased.

Noone helps me. I can barely find a bench press spotter. There is a gym employee who is a "trainer" who keeps telling me I should let him train me. He says this workout won't help me. Lol (he just wants my money, but can change my life in 3 months)
I suppose I'm eating back the calories, how could I effectively measure that though? I did read starting strength.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Noone helps me. I can barely find a bench press spotter. There is a gym employee who is a "trainer" who keeps telling me I should let him train me. He says this workout won't help me. Lol (he just wants my money, but can change my life in 3 months)
I suppose I'm eating back the calories, how could I effectively measure that though? I did read starting strength.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

food- increased.

You just estimate how many calories you burn working out. You're a little guy so you probably only burn about 250 extra an hour lifting, depending on volume.

You should probably post some videos so we can see if you're doing something wrong.  Side view is best view.

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#8]
why would you think I might be doing something wrong? Am I dropping a clue of some kind?
the only issue of wobble I get is just left arm being slightly weaker than the right, they just dont go up at the same speed sometimes .

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
why would you think I might be doing something wrong? Am I dropping a clue of some kind?
the only issue of wobble I get is just left arm being slightly weaker than the right, they just dont go up at the same speed sometimes .

View Quote

Because you should be able to lift more.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

meh. Honestly I am lucky I am even as big as I am. My parents are both pretty small. I think I am doing good all things considered.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Good job on the work so far. You are basically squatting and deadlifting your body weight, which is a big milestone. That is great you are working with the compound movements. As you know this builds not only strength but a solid foundation. Keep up the hard work and it will pay off.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good job on the work so far. You are basically squatting and deadlifting your body weight, which is a big milestone. That is great you are working with the compound movements. As you know this builds not only strength but a solid foundation. Keep up the hard work and it will pay off.
View Quote

thanks very much for the encouragement. Im trying to get my mind in the game more. If I had a friend that worked out with me or something like that it would help me just mentally but I just dont have alot of friends in RL (at least ones that would go to the gym in a dedicated fashion) so its hard to "get pumped" etc. My wife is fine with the gym but isnt interested in the details etc. im getting real close to squatting my weight and this week will be time to see if I can break through a wall I hit. I really want a good foundation and I think I may add chin ups to the list. I ordered a bluetooth headset for Christmas and I cant wait to take them to the gym. I listen to death metal so that will really help me get in the mood to fight gravity.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#13]
sInce I started eating more food I have already noticed my weight shooting up. I have been at 155-156 for a while now and its shot up to 162 or so but back down today to 158 which feels about right. So I am going to take the advice and really try and eat alot more and really bring it at the gym. I know I meantioned stopping at 145 squat but I think I can do it based on my how easy my last squat was. Thats the only down side of this program, if you struggle at x weight mentally you think "okay i struggled on this weight and now i am adding more, this will be tough." But its funny because I almost always pull through and surprise myself, you dont factor in gaining strength. So since I got my days mixed up last week (dentist appointment and just had to get sleep) Ill git the gym tomorrow instead of weekend off and I think its 140lbs squat.
Ya know when I was a kid they told me not to build up my chest because my heart and chest would be competing for space. So I just never messed with it at all. But now that I think back that statement makes no sense to me because they are on opposite sides of my rib cage. Anyhow just a funny thought. Anyhow. Ill post up results tomorrow, need to go eat.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
sInce I started eating more food I have already noticed my weight shooting up. I have been at 155-156 for a while now and its shot up to 162 or so but back down today to 158 which feels about right. So I am going to take the advice and really try and eat alot more and really bring it at the gym. I know I meantioned stopping at 145 squat but I think I can do it based on my how easy my last squat was. Thats the only down side of this program, if you struggle at x weight mentally you think "okay i struggled on this weight and now i am adding more, this will be tough." But its funny because I almost always pull through and surprise myself, you dont factor in gaining strength. So since I got my days mixed up last week (dentist appointment and just had to get sleep) Ill git the gym tomorrow instead of weekend off and I think its 140lbs squat.
Ya know when I was a kid they told me not to build up my chest because my heart and chest would be competing for space. So I just never messed with it at all.
But now that I think back that statement makes no sense to me because they are on opposite sides of my rib cage. Anyhow just a funny thought. Anyhow. Ill post up results tomorrow, need to go eat.
View Quote

What, lol.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
sInce I started eating more food I have already noticed my weight shooting up. I have been at 155-156 for a while now and its shot up to 162 or so but back down today to 158 which feels about right. So I am going to take the advice and really try and eat alot more and really bring it at the gym.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
sInce I started eating more food I have already noticed my weight shooting up. I have been at 155-156 for a while now and its shot up to 162 or so but back down today to 158 which feels about right. So I am going to take the advice and really try and eat alot more and really bring it at the gym.

Earlier this year I dropped from 218 to 193.  I lost a little bit from my lifts during that time and and then slowly started gaining, but with a lot of plateaus.  Between the first week of November and the first week of December, I spent 3 weeks, 4-5 days/week, on travel.  2 of those weeks were in hotels - 50 lb dumbells only - and 1 week on a base that had a gym.  I decided to just let myself eat and let the diet slide a bit and get to the gym when I could, mostly 2 days/week.  I gained 6-7 pounds, which is more than I wanted, but deadlift is up 30 pounds ( 1 by 5); squat is up 20 pounds (3 by 5); overhead press up 20; and bench only up by 10 /

I don't have a spotter either.  I just go for it and if I only hit 3 or 4, so be it.  Just get the work done, get out, and recover for the next time.

Quoted:Ya know when I was a kid they told me not to build up my chest because my heart and chest would be competing for space.

That doesn't even make sense.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Earlier this year I dropped from 218 to 193.  I lost a little bit from my lifts during that time and and then slowly started gaining, but with a lot of plateaus.  Between the first week of November and the first week of December, I spent 3 weeks, 4-5 days/week, on travel.  2 of those weeks were in hotels - 50 lb dumbells only - and 1 week on a base that had a gym.  I decided to just let myself eat and let the diet slide a bit and get to the gym when I could, mostly 2 days/week.  I gained 6-7 pounds, which is more than I wanted, but deadlift is up 30 pounds ( 1 by 5); squat is up 20 pounds (3 by 5); overhead press up 20; and bench only up by 10 /

I don't have a spotter either.  I just go for it and if I only hit 3 or 4, so be it.  Just get the work done, get out, and recover for the next time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:Ya know when I was a kid they told me not to build up my chest because my heart and chest would be competing for space.

Yeah, see I had/have a heart condition my heart was VERY large so somehow he must have thought it would cause a problem. Looking back though
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Those newb gains were my favorite part of Starting Strength, on Wednesday you'd swear that was an absolute max, no way in hell you were going to get 3x5 with another 5lbs on there.  Come Monday you add the 5lbs and swear that's your absolute max again.

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Those newb gains were my favorite part of Starting Strength, on Wednesday you'd swear that was an absolute max, no way in hell you were going to get 3x5 with another 5lbs on there.  Come Monday you add the 5lbs and swear that's your absolute max again.

View Quote

LOL thats exactly my life right now.
ya know I should have taken actual measurements of key parts (arms, legs chest etc) just to see if anything changes. I can tell shoulders have widened, legs as well, muscles in my legs are there I didnt know I had.
that gym trainer guy I mentioned before.. funny story... He was doing some workout right beside me and he jokingly flexed his arm at me and I flexed... wait "flexed" mine back and he walked over and just said "ya know you are looking a bit bigger..." So that felt good. Gotta go eat. Wife made spaghetti no idea how to accurately track that in MFP so ill eat more on top of it just to be sure.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ya know I should have taken actual measurements of key parts (arms, legs chest etc) just to see if anything changes. I can tell shoulders have widened, legs as well, muscles in my legs are there I didnt know I had.
that gym trainer guy I mentioned before.. funny story... He was doing some workout right beside me and he jokingly flexed his arm at me and I flexed... wait "flexed" mine back and he walked over and just said "ya know you are looking a bit bigger..." So that felt good. Gotta go eat. Wife made spaghetti no idea how to accurately track that in MFP so ill eat more on top of it just to be sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat it ALL!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, the mating ritual.

Wait until he tells you about pounding out squats like a pro!

i kid (kind of, might want to watch picking up the soap)
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ah, the mating ritual.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, the mating ritual.

LOL I knew someone would say something about that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Alright, hit the gym early today. Crappy nights sleep up off and on since 4:30.
I notice I am favoring my right leg on squats when I am tired sometimes- this may be a problem. I am trying to be aware of it and correct as I go.
Everything else went great. Rows are actually easier every time.

I picked that trainers brain a bit today. Asked him about calories per day. He agree 4k is about right.
He disagrees with my workout routine or at least thinks I should mix up things more. He is an isolation kinda guy who trains high school football players.
But has agreed with the food types I eat and says diet wise I am on the right track.
So I am going to keep stuffing my face (eating as I type this) and fighting gravity.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I notice I am favoring my right leg on squats when I am tired sometimes- this may be a problem. I am trying to be aware of it and correct as I go.

I picked that trainers brain a bit today. Asked him about calories per day. He agree 4k is about right.
He disagrees with my workout routine or at least thinks I should mix up things more. He is an isolation kinda guy who trains high school football players.
But has agreed with the food types I eat and says diet wise I am on the right track.
So I am going to keep stuffing my face (eating as I type this) and fighting gravity.
View Quote

He's retarded.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

He's retarded.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's retarded.

Fuck yeah he is high school football players shouldn't be focusing on isolation moments. You use your whole body to block someone.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I've seen him train a few people and one tiny little girl he had her doing squats except really fast and beyond fail. She actually fell forward into the rack on her last rep and I thought she was gonna pass out. It was strange.
He likes the "go to failure" method as well.
Anyhow. I'm feeling good and just want to push on through and keep going. Need to go eat more food.

Also I notice some reflux when I sleep at night has gotten a little worse. It's always something...
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've seen him train a few people and one tiny little girl he had her doing squats except really fast and beyond fail. She actually fell forward into the rack on her last rep and I thought she was gonna pass out. It was strange.
Anyhow. I'm feeling good and just want to push on through and keep going. Need to go eat more food.

Also I notice some reflux when I sleep at night has gotten a little worse. It's always something...
View Quote

You did eat spaghetti.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You did eat spaghetti.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You did eat spaghetti.

True. The night before was hamburger. It's not a new issue but somewhat pronounced now. I'll keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

True. The night before was hamburger. It's not a new issue but somewhat pronounced now. I'll keep an eye on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You did eat spaghetti.

It may possibly be "lactic acidosis." I got it in high school when I first started lifting hard. Sometimes it would make me puke. But overall it was a really shitty feeling in my stomach and throat. I'm not saying what you have isn't reflux, especially if you've had it and you are eating more, etc.  But it could be this in addition. I used to drink cytomax to help with it(caution may be broscience) but the last time I had it must have been 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#29]
since my heart surgery i have had issues with gall bladder attacks. My first one was actually in the hospital after recovery. It came on like a back ache then moves around toward my gut and is extremely painful. They didnt know what it was and thought I just had a back ache from laying on the operating table for so long. Thats been years ago and I had another that put me in the ER. Just extreme discomfort, basically rolling around in the floor in pain for a while. My sister and mother have both had their gallbladders removed for the same thing but they refuse to remove mine and put me on pepcid daily. I had another one of these attacks on thanksgiving. I have no idea what brings them on or why but I notice the reflux alot lately. I dont know if these are related. I dont eat spicey food at all. I am a meat and potatoes kinda guy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It may possibly be "lactic acidosis." I got it in high school when I first started lifting hard. Sometimes it would make me puke. But overall it was a really shitty feeling in my stomach and throat. I'm not saying what you have isn't reflux, especially if you've had it and you are eating more, etc.  But it could be this in addition. I used to drink cytomax to help with it(caution may be broscience) but the last time I had it must have been 15 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You did eat spaghetti.

Off to google.

edit. we were at the park the other night and I almost threw up 3 times. I have that feeling in my gut and my throat. Sounds very similar.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
since my heart surgery i have had issues with gall bladder attacks. My first one was actually in the hospital after recovery. It came on like a back ache then moves around toward my gut and is extremely painful. They didnt know what it was and thought I just had a back ache from laying on the operating table for so long. Thats been years ago and I had another that put me in the ER. Just extreme discomfort, basically rolling around in the floor in pain for a while. My sister and mother have both had their gallbladders removed for the same thing but they refuse to remove mine and put me on pepcid daily. I had another one of these attacks on thanksgiving. I have no idea what brings them on or why but I notice the reflux alot lately. I dont know if these are related. I dont eat spicey food at all. I am a meat and potatoes kinda guy.
View Quote

Lemme get this straight.

You've had heart surgery, been told by morons that you shouldn't get strong because of an enlarged heart, dealing with potential gall issues and you still want to lift?

Respect.  

Log out and log back in.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You did eat spaghetti.

Definitely broscience.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Lemme get this straight.

You've had heart surgery, been told by morons that you shouldn't get strong because of an enlarged heart, dealing with potential gall issues and you still want to lift?

Respect.  

Log out and log back in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lemme get this straight.

Respect.  

Log out and log back in.

Ha! Wow man I appreciate it. Ya know they told me I could have died at any point before my 2nd surgery. my heart was so big it was like 3 of my fists I would guess. They said the walls were so thin the whole thing could have just gave at any point. My wife became a nurse and starting seeing clues in my daily life. I was an auto mechanic at the time and I would sleep through lunch then come home and sleep. I had no energy my lips were purple and my capillary reflexes were awful. I was in bad shape. Then you they have to break me open and cut parts of my heart out and reconstruct other parts all while your kids are scared to death they you'll die on the table or something it changes your outlook. I am ready to do what I want to do in life, there are things I want to accomplish and ill be damned if I let my shortcomings stop me. Im going to do this.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ha! Wow man I appreciate it. Ya know they told me I could have died at any point before my 2nd surgery. my heart was so big it was like 3 of my fists I would guess. They said the walls were so thin the whole thing could have just gave at any point. My wife became a nurse and starting seeing clues in my daily life. I was an auto mechanic at the time and I would sleep through lunch then come home and sleep. I had no energy my lips were purple and my capillary reflexes were awful. I was in bad shape. Then you they have to break me open and cut parts of my heart out and reconstruct other parts all while your kids are scared to death they you'll die on the table or something it changes your outlook. I am ready to do what I want to do in life, there are things I want to accomplish and ill be damned if I let my shortcomings stop me. Im going to do this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lemme get this straight.

Respect.  

Log out and log back in.

Damn, dude.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:32:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lemme get this straight.

Respect.  

Log out and log back in.

What's the outlook from here?  Is this something you can just be aware of and stay ahead of or do you expect it to catch you someday?

Last September I was in a wheelchair, rather suddenly, so I know what it's like to just want it just because you know it's a real accomplishment.  I walked off an airplane in Iowa and they pushed me back on one headed home the next day.  I can't believe the BS reasons people come up with for not doing things, like everything has to be easy or it shouldn't be done.

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What's the outlook from here?  Is this something you can just be aware of and stay ahead of or do you expect it to catch you someday?

Last September I was in a wheelchair, rather suddenly, so I know what it's like to just want it just because you know it's a real accomplishment.  I walked off an airplane in Iowa and they pushed me back on one headed home the next day.  I can't believe the BS reasons people come up with for not doing things, like everything has to be easy or it shouldn't be done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lemme get this straight.

Respect.  

Log out and log back in.

Long term Ill have to have it repaired again. Just a quick description of my issue:
Take a balloon and put it on the end of a pvc pipe. The balloon is filled with water and when you squeeze it the water travels up the pvc pipe and out the other end. Now place a valve in the pvc pipe so the water cant drain back into the balloon. that valve on my heart was wide open and didnt work anymore. so blood that was supposed to go to my body was just coming back down to my heart while new blood was being prepared to get pumped out. This caused my heart to enlarge and the walls weaken. So they cut out the weak parts, put the biggest valve they could find (typically a pig but mine was from a cow) in. Afterward i had alot of issues, the surgeon of course didnt look at any xrays or anything and said "he is fine!" But I wasnt fine. I was extremely dizzy, my heart was like a messed up transmission. it would just literally feel like it stopped then POW! kick back into gear. Lemme speed up here this is getting longer than I wanted... Turns out the blood was leaking back around that valve, which was apparently extremely rare, 1 in a million. So they had to do another procedure to fix that and it was televised to hundreds of doctors live all across the united states. Thats my luck lol!
So eventually this valve will wear out, they say 7 years but more like 4-5 realistically and i am approaching that now. Supposedly they can repair/replace without opening me back up this time. I was on some heart meds just for the palpitations but I stopped taking them and am having no issues. (amazing what diet and exercise can do eh?)
Mentally I am just thinking about my kids and my wife and am pretty concerned about the future of this country and I just simply figure me being in tip top shape will not be a bad thing and its just time for it to happen. Im not getting any younger and I just want to live life and be the best I can be for my kids. I have 3 girls so God knows ill need all the help I can get,
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Maybe we should work on your use of the return button first.

Seriously though that's a lot to work through. And lifting heavy things will definitely make your blood pressure spike so be aware of that. I don't remember if you said if the Dr. said if it was ok for you to lift?

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Seriously though that's a lot to work through. And lifting heavy things will definitely make your blood pressure spike so be aware of that. I don't remember if you said if the Dr. said if it was ok for you to lift?

View Quote

Oh hush.

The dr is only concerned with heart beat irregularity. They dont want it to go stupid on me and it was extremely bad after the surgery, but I have no issues with it right now. They just want me to watch the heart rate. The only issue I had was barbell rows with the leaning over etc. I use a row machine now and dont really have an issue and it is pretty close to a barbell row.

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Oh hush.

The dr is only concerned with heart beat irregularity. They dont want it to go stupid on me and it was extremely bad after the surgery, but I have no issues with it right now. They just want me to watch the heart rate. The only issue I had was barbell rows with the leaning over etc. I use a row machine now and dont really have an issue and it is pretty close to a barbell row.
http://sell.bizrice.com/upload/20120217/AMA_326_standing_T_bar_row_training.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh hush.

Doing 3x5 shouldn't get your heart rate up too much compared to sprinting. It will still be elevated though if you start moving serious weight around.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Doing 3x5 shouldn't get your heart rate up too much compared to sprinting. It will still be elevated though if you start moving serious weight around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh hush.

Yeah I am going to unlock this stronglifts.com app and it has those workouts in it.
btw, I consumed 3,489 calories yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah I am going to unlock this stronglifts.com app and it has those workouts in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh hush.

You should be stronger in no time at all.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Alright, lemme bounce something off you guys.
I saw a few videos yesterday on youtube. A fellow was talking about bench press and how it just made his chest get huge but it didnt do much for his triceps. He just naturally had a bigger chest vs triceps and they ended up doing most of the bench press work. Mine is the opposite. I feel bench press in my triceps and biceps and maybe only lightly in my chest unless its just at my max weight and im really having to press to get the weight up. will this change as weight gets bigger requiring more muscle groups to work together or will chest seemingly always be behind arms? I feel like thats partly why bench press has been a combination of success and struggle for me. I feel like I only have arms doing the work.

Also, do you guys have a suggestion for some bluetooth headphones? I am not sure what style i want (ear bud vs over ear). I ordered some on amazon but they still hadnt shipped after 4 days and cancelled the order. Basically looking for something that wont get in the way when doing squats, has really good noise cancellation. Typically the ear bud style just wont stay in my ears so Im half considering going with over the ear style. The only reason I was thinking of not going with over the ear style was so I could possibly wear them while trying to sleep. with 3 kids it is very hard to sleep at our house and my wife and I often just take turns letting the other sleep but kids are very loud and I am a light sleeper. Also if I fall asleep for 5 minutes and get woke up it is extremely difficult for me to go back to sleep, if 5 minutes is all I got then thats all I got.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Bench press, being a compound movement, hits multiple muscle groups. Your grip width can have a big impact on which muscles take the load. You will notice the weakest muscles in the movement as well.

If you are feeling the work more in your biceps and triceps, your grip may be too narrow. You can try to widen your grip(just a little wider each workout) and focus the effort on your pecs. It is also possible your chest is just stronger than your arms and you need to do some accessory work to bring them up to speed.

Make sure you use this time to focus on your form. A common issue with bench press in not bringing your elbows in tight enough. A lot of folks' elbows stick straight out.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Bench press, being a compound movement, hits multiple muscle groups. Your grip width can have a big impact on which muscles take the load. You will notice the weakest muscles in the movement as well.

If you are feeling the work more in your biceps and triceps, your grip may be too narrow. You can try to widen your grip(just a little wider each workout) and focus the effort on your pecs. It is also possible your chest is just stronger than your arms and you need to do some accessory work to bring them up to speed.

Make sure you use this time to focus on your form. A common issue with bench press in not bringing your elbows in tight enough. A lot of folks' elbows stick straight out.
View Quote

Ill look into my form. Ive always felt my triceps responded the greatest to exercise, decades of drumming helped to i suppose. I try and balance grip like this: not to wide like a wide pushup would be but not so narrow I have no control over the bar/weight either.  If that makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ill look into my form. Ive always felt my triceps responded the greatest to exercise, decades of drumming helped to i suppose. I try and balance grip like this: not to wide like a wide pushup would be but not so narrow I have no control over the bar/weight either.  If that makes sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take videos!!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Take videos!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take videos!!!!

I was going to say the same thing... haha. Video is a good way to have others check your form and you could also ask someone at your gym that exhibits good form to watch you for a set. That trainer at the gym you run into doesn't seem like a good source of knowledge.

It sounds like you are using a typical medium grip. You could try to go a little wider to see if that changes the muscle involvement. But I have a feeling you need to get some more strength in your arms(accessory work) and that you need to focus on your pectorals more. On the way down I focus on the stretch in the chest and on the way up focus on the contraction.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#47]
alright ill have to see if I can get video. Ill have to try and get there early when noone is there. Its a relatively small gym and I dont want to invade anyone's privacy etc.

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quick thought, I have a small weight bench downstairs that I could very easily take video doing bench press and maybe even squats. That will work wont it?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quick thought, I have a small weight bench downstairs that I could very easily take video doing bench press and maybe even squats. That will work wont it?
View Quote

Can you get a similar amount of weight on it?

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I believe so. Maybe not for squats and it may look kinda funny too but it should work for an example.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top