BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 35
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're not supposed to do bench and OHP on same day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good workout today. Felt strong on both bench and OHP. I didnt shoot for amrap but got 3 (on bench) I think my realistic 1RM is 170-180. not sure if I can get 200 before the end of the year. Half way through OHP I checked to make sure the weight was right, I thought it wasnt heavy enough. So thats a good sign i suppose.
I had to do all this with that stupid heart monitor on too, apparently it didnt read last time. We may have failed to turn it on.
Either way, feeling strong and I feel like my shoulders are widening up.
Gonna keep on truckin.

yes i am.
5/3/1 bench and 5x10 ohp.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good workout today. Felt strong on both bench and OHP. I didnt shoot for amrap but got 3 (on bench) I think my realistic 1RM is 170-180. not sure if I can get 200 before the end of the year. Half way through OHP I checked to make sure the weight was right, I thought it wasnt heavy enough. So thats a good sign i suppose.
I had to do all this with that stupid heart monitor on too, apparently it didnt read last time. We may have failed to turn it on.
Gonna keep on truckin.

yes i am.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

yes i am.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gonna keep on truckin.

yes i am.

Sounds weird.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sounds weird.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gonna keep on truckin.

yes i am.

Sounds weird.

its 5/3/1 + big but boring set.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
yesterday I got 3x250 on squat, probably could have done 5. Moved deadlifts to today (saturday) they went well, zero issues.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Heavy week this week. going good. Powered through bench press like nobody's business today. Next round ill move on up from this weight range on BBB.
Been hungry as a bear lately too, trying not to eat just anything but trying not to be hungry either.
My wife is doing keto, on her own this time, and working out on her days off. (some beach body routine). She is doing really good.
She found an awesome recipe:
Bake chicken breast,
cut in half, add pizza sauce/toppings, put in oven and melt, eat. I usually eat about 1lb of chicken a day on that.  Ranch sauce on the side.

Just focusing on getting stronger, eating right and recovery.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
hit a new 1rm on squat today. I AMRAP 4 of 265 that estimated me to be 295 1rm.
Went 285, was okay. Tried 300 no go.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
hit a new 1rm on squat today. I AMRAP 4 of 265 that estimated me to be 295 1rm.
Went 285, was okay. Tried 300 no go.
View Quote

Good job.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I dont know what has happened but I am having a real big issue with reflux. I feel like all my food is stuck in my throat. It is making it hard to even want to eat.
My weight kinda shot up 3-4 lbs this last week. Kinda weird all happening at once. Not changed a thing diet wise.
Next week is deload and im going to back off and get good rest and lower the weight just a bit on the 5x10 stuff. I hate letting off the gas right now but I feel like I am going to lose it if I dont.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Alright so this week ended the 2nd phase of BBB heading to phase 3 tomorrow. I think it is 75% I'm not sure. energy has been real low, trying to get more sleep. Not sure what my deal is as I have been trying to eat more lately. Some days im HANGRY other days I could get by with just breakfast. Not a good trend. High protein tends to make me feel full for a very long time.
Pre-workouts no longer have any effect or very low. Real weird. Creatine intake has been steady the last few weeks and I havent changed much diet wise aside from just trying to get more fiber in there.
Anyhow, we'll see how this week goes ill update tomorrow. OHP and 50 bench.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Alright so this week ended the 2nd phase of BBB heading to phase 3 tomorrow. I think it is 75% I'm not sure. energy has been real low, trying to get more sleep. Not sure what my deal is as I have been trying to eat more lately. Some days im HANGRY other days I could get by with just breakfast. Not a good trend. High protein tends to make me feel full for a very long time.
Pre-workouts no longer have any effect or very low. Real weird. Creatine intake has been steady the last few weeks and I havent changed much diet wise aside from just trying to get more fiber in there.
Anyhow, we'll see how this week goes ill update tomorrow. OHP and 50 bench.
View Quote

How's your heart.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How's your heart.
View Quote

kicking ass apparently. I had to re-do that heart monitor test, first one didnt record. I mailed the monitor back and they never said anything which is good. They were a bit miffed that I stopped taking my heart meds cold turkey without Dr instruction, but im a man and that is how we do things right? I just want to maximize these gains over the next few months. I feel like this range will be a big test to complete.

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

kicking ass apparently. I had to re-do that heart monitor test, first one didnt record. I mailed the monitor back and they never said anything which is good. They were a bit miffed that I stopped taking my heart meds cold turkey without Dr instruction, but im a man and that is how we do things right? I just want to maximize these gains over the next few months. I feel like this range will be a big test to complete.
View Quote

Good.
Get some hurricane extreme from myprotein.com.  It's great for gainz.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Good.
Get some hurricane extreme from myprotein.com.  It's great for gainz.
View Quote

I like that stuff quite a bit too, makes my wife sick though.

Strawberry was slightly better than chocolate smooth, imo.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I like that stuff quite a bit too, makes my wife sick though.

Strawberry was slightly better than chocolate smooth, imo.
View Quote

If you mix them it tastes the best.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you mix them it tastes the best.
View Quote

I mix the chocolate smooth and strawberry cream for my protein shakes, once or twice a day.  I only have one bag of hurricane though, so no mixing there.  

I really stocked up on whey isolate during their sales, mostly chocolate smooth and strawberry cream.  Here's to hoping I don't get sick of it.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#17]
well today went to crap. I hammered out OHP and it felt fine, no real issue, good weight range.
but as I adjusted my stuff for bench at a (embarrassed to say) 135. Now remember its 5 sets of 10 reps.
The 135 was a good weight, felt fine moving it but when I got higher into the reps my right clavicle and shoulder just had a ton of pain.
My shoulders were cracking and I just didnt like where it was all headed. So I wrapped it up sadly and called it a day before some kind of bad injury forced me. My clavicles have never been right since that surgery, they are both crooked, not sure if that plays a role, I often wake up with pain in that area if I sleep on my side.
Im not sure but im thinking maybe BBB @ 70% might be too much for my experience level. Im going to move forward though and see how things go with squat/dead tomorrow. I really enjoyed it at 60% I may try and just knock off 5-10lbs and go from there. For now rest and food.
edit: just moving the mouse or typing is pain. probably not good. >:/
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#18]
At least you are figuring out what works and doesn't work for you. That is weird about your clavicles... lol
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
At least you are figuring out what works and doesn't work for you. That is weird about your clavicles... lol
View Quote

very true and i think that is alot of it. I like the hypertrophy aspects of BBB alot. I may just modify a few things and see if I can find a sweet spot.
Yes the clavicles are odd. :D
Where ya been?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

very true and i think that is alot of it. I like the hypertrophy aspects of BBB alot. I may just modify a few things and see if I can find a sweet spot.
Where ya been?
View Quote

If the volume is causing you pain maybe cut down on the volume.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If the volume is causing you pain maybe cut down on the volume.
View Quote

well i was just trying to follow the program.
As exhaustion set it form probably suffered and bam.
ill probably have to cut it down though.
Id like to get into more isolation/hypertrophy type stuff to go along with the big 4.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Where ya been?
View Quote

Visited family for a week in CA for Thanksgiving. Work has been busy. Etc. Trying to get my schedule all back on track.

Also been trying to figure out what is important for me goal wise for next year. I am getting close to my 4 plate bench, that was really delayed and almost put on hold due to tendinitis, but the tendinitis is much better now and I think I have some motivation left to make another run at it. I also want to focus on losing some more fat and adding some more mass. So while the goals don't necessarily conflict, it will be hard to manage them at the same time. So I am trying to find out how to prioritize that.

I already cleaned up my diet a little bit. So my pants are getting a little looser in the waist. So I think I am going to keep that where it is. Keep focusing on bench and then add in some short isolation sessions at lunch time a few times a week(since I am starting to actually go in to the office I don't feel bad leaving for an hour). Probably do this for the next month. Come Jan. re-asses the situation. Probably just do some more diet modification(replace more carbs with protein, keep calories similar). Let that go for a month then in Feb. probably try and dump a good amount of fat and keep that going until I hit my goal(TBD). I'll probably shoot for 30lbs of fat loss.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#23]
So just thinking aloud here. (or typing aloud?)
the Big But Boring sets are 5 sets of 10 reps.
what if I just swapped it to 10 sets of 5?
I know that in an interview wendler said that when he had people do 50 reps of something he let them decide the variation of sets x reps.
His whole concept with BBB is hypertrophy by compound movements id imagine that would still have the effect this way.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Visited family for a week in CA for Thanksgiving. Work has been busy. Etc. Trying to get my schedule all back on track.

Also been trying to figure out what is important for me goal wise for next year. I am getting close to my 4 plate bench, that was really delayed and almost put on hold due to tendinitis, but the tendinitis is much better now and I think I have some motivation left to make another run at it. I also want to focus on losing some more fat and adding some more mass. So while the goals don't necessarily conflict, it will be hard to manage them at the same time. So I am trying to find out how to prioritize that.

I already cleaned up my diet a little bit. So my pants are getting a little looser in the waist. So I think I am going to keep that where it is. Keep focusing on bench and then add in some short isolation sessions at lunch time a few times a week(since I am starting to actually go in to the office I don't feel bad leaving for an hour). Probably do this for the next month. Come Jan. re-asses the situation. Probably just do some more diet modification(replace more carbs with protein, keep calories similar). Let that go for a month then in Feb. probably try and dump a good amount of fat and keep that going until I hit my goal(TBD). I'll probably shoot for 30lbs of fat loss.
View Quote

Sounds like you have at least a good concept of what you want to get done. Im thinking similar, I want to go ham until Feb or so and do a decent body fat cut. Im not sure Ill hit my goals. I may up some calories around 200 or so this week just to make sure ive room to grow so to speak.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I know that in an interview wendler said that when he had people do 50 reps of something he let them decide the variation of sets x reps.
His whole concept with BBB is hypertrophy by compound movements id imagine that would still have the effect this way.
View Quote

I would research the rep scheme stuff to see how other people did with it. Conventional/accepted wisdom is basically 1-5 reps per set = strength, 8-12 = hypertrophy, 15+ = cardio(half joking). But you can probably dig to see if total volume has the same effect. If i was doing 10 sets of 5 I would probably be at a higher percentage. I would be more likely to do 3 sets of 10-12 than 10 sets of 5 if my goal for that was hypertrophy.

For me, I just don't see 10 sets of 5 at 50% doing much of anything. Certainly won't get a pump from that. 10 sets of 5 at 75% would be beneficial, but I see it focusing more on strength. It would have some effect on growth, I just don't know how to quantify it vs. 5 sets of 10 in that respect. I think you would create more microtrauma(or whatever) with sets of 10 sparking more growth.

Now if you are concerned that you just can't complete 5 sets of 10 at that weight, I would probably do as much per set as I could(shy of failure) and then add in as many sets as needed to get to 50 reps total.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I would research the rep scheme stuff to see how other people did with it. Conventional/accepted wisdom is basically 1-5 reps per set = strength, 8-12 = hypertrophy, 15+ = cardio(half joking). But you can probably dig to see if total volume has the same effect. If i was doing 10 sets of 5 I would probably be at a higher percentage. I would be more likely to do 3 sets of 10-12 than 10 sets of 5 if my goal for that was hypertrophy.

For me, I just don't see 10 sets of 5 at 50% doing much of anything. Certainly won't get a pump from that. 10 sets of 5 at 75% would be beneficial, but I see it focusing more on strength. It would have some effect on growth, I just don't know how to quantify it vs. 5 sets of 10 in that respect. I think you would create more microtrauma(or whatever) with sets of 10 sparking more growth.

Now if you are concerned that you just can't complete 5 sets of 10 at that weight, I would probably do as much per set as I could(shy of failure) and then add in as many sets as needed to get to 50 reps total.
View Quote

I think you are right though. I think ill just have to eat some humble pie and accept 50 reps in whatever set order @ 70% load isnt realistic for me and gives me 50 chances for injury, my shoulder just seems ultra susceptible to injury. That is probably the honest truth about it. 60-65% range was very doable with a fair chance of failure toward set 4 and 5. So maybe that was actually where my 70% mark should have been. What I think ill do is shoot for hypertrophy stuff for the next few months since that will probably help negate muscle loss during the cut I do in the spring.
Yesterday I should have known something was up because I got 7 reps in on first set, racked it, rested 30s, setup and did the last 3. Immediate hypertrophy effect. Thats kind of unusual for me, usually 3rd set then the pump is going.
So ill either accept failure on BBB and focus on target areas/hypertrophy or drop back down to 65% or so and go again on BBB. I guess I could always just stop doing BBB by % and just add 5lbs or whatever per week. Either way Ive got options and I aint stopping.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#27]
How is your bench form looking? What shoulder stuff are you doing? Does it feel joint related or are the delts acting stupid?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I havent checked form in a while but it has felt great up until yesterday. :D
I feel the burn in all the right places and try to stay tight as possible. the pain is the same as when i torqued it before, remember that? The only difference was i felt it up in my neck and along the chest as well.  
edit: definitely joint related.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Feeling it much in your triceps?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Feeling it much in your triceps?
View Quote

if you mean pain? nope.
If you mean like hypertrophy/the work of bench, heck yes majorly
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I switched from BBB to descending pyramid. You work with a heavier weight for sets of 5,4,3,2,1
Might be worth a look
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I switched from BBB to descending pyramid. You work with a heavier weight for sets of 5,4,3,2,1
Might be worth a look
View Quote

yeah that might be.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

if you mean pain? nope.
If you mean like hypertrophy/the work of bench, heck yes majorly
View Quote

Where is the bar at the top of the movement? Directly over your shoulders? Pointing to your feet? Over your eyes?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Where is the bar at the top of the movement? Directly over your shoulders? Pointing to your feet? Over your eyes?
View Quote

Always try and keep it over the shoulders. I try and pretend im shoving almost if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Always try and keep it over the shoulders. I try and pretend im shoving almost if that makes sense.
View Quote

Hmm... Eat more protein?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hmm... Eat more protein?
View Quote

Ha!
Tomorrow is off day so I'll sleep on all this info and see what I want to do.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hmm... Eat more protein?
View Quote

I was about to tell you that you really need to change your avatar, that one is nice.

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I read something recently that said it was the total number of reps that mattered. So that would probably be fine. I think the total reps they said worked best was around 60.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hmm... Eat more protein?
View Quote

Fact!
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I was about to tell you that you really need to change your avatar, that one is nice.
View Quote

Buy a donkey. That means thank you very much in Afrikaans. I don't know how to spell it, but that's how you say it... lol.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Buy a donkey. That means thank you very much in Afrikaans. I don't know how to spell it, but that's how you say it... lol.
View Quote

Man Anvil, you're a beast. I was gonna say the same thing about the pic but you changed it too quick.
I decided that I think ill stick with BBB and just drop down to 60-65% range and plug away at it some more. I just like BBB too much to try and change right now as well as up the calories/protein.
speaking of food, you guys have any good breakfast suggestions? Ive been eating 4 eggs, a ham steak and shredded cheddar/mozzerella cheese. Its pretty good but could use some variety maybe. Sometimes I swap dinner and breakfast around.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Alright so today was bench/ohp day. Took some overhead video of bench. I think the form looks pretty good actually.
the set was 5/5/2 only did two of the AMRAP because I had 50 OHP to do after. All the weights were easy, just worked on staying tight etc kinda glad shoulder aint 100% yet.
keep in mind the camera is a little off to the right. and the lighting is like something off a Halloween set. Went slow on the last set just for more control/time under tension.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Ln-NX1WhKHI[/youtube]
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Alright so today was bench/ohp day. Took some overhead video of bench. I think the form looks pretty good actually.
the set was 5/5/2 only did two of the AMRAP because I had 50 OHP to do after. All the weights were easy, just worked on staying tight etc kinda glad shoulder aint 100% yet.
keep in mind the camera is a little off to the right. and the lighting is like something off a Halloween set. Went slow on the last set just for more control/time under tension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/Ln-NX1WhKHI
View Quote

Stop looking at bar. Stop lifting your head off the bench. Keep your shoulders against the bench.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Stop looking at bar. Stop lifting your head off the bench. Keep your shoulders against the bench.
View Quote

you forgot more protein! :D
stop looking at the bar- at the top or at the bottom? I have a spot on the ceiling where it lines up and try and make sure its hitting the same spot. Ive been trying not to look at it at the bottom.
Not sure why I lift my head off the bench- been trying not to do that so much. It feels like reverse side of leg drive.
Keeping shoulders on the bench- ill be honest. my back feels lopsided for some reason. I feel like the right half of my back is more developed than the left. I do have a problem keeping that engaged though.
as far as the angle of arms and chest touch consistency is fine, my legs arent all over the place anymore. I feel more stable than I have in the past.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Yeah your shoulders/upper back doesn't look tight. Also don't see leg drive. Your legs should be pushing through your arch to force your traps into the bench...if that makes sense.

On your 5's day you should hit 5+ on your last set. That means a minimum of 5. This becomes an indicator of whether or not you need to reset if you miss reps.

ETA: My only point on the reps is that your work sets are more important than accessory lifts.

Also, straighten your wrists. Get wraps if you need to.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

you forgot more protein! :D
stop looking at the bar- at the top or at the bottom? I have a spot on the ceiling where it lines up and try and make sure its hitting the same spot. Ive been trying not to look at it at the bottom.
Not sure why I lift my head off the bench- been trying not to do that so much. It feels like reverse side of leg drive.
Keeping shoulders on the bench- ill be honest. my back feels lopsided for some reason. I feel like the right half of my back is more developed than the left. I do have a problem keeping that engaged though.
as far as the angle of arms and chest touch consistency is fine, my legs arent all over the place anymore. I feel more stable than I have in the past.
View Quote

Don't look at bar at all. Look at spot on ceiling and imagine the bar going to it.
And it does look like you need some hip drive.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like I really just need to start over on my bench press form altogether.
Like dedicate a day or three to getting it right.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll watch the video more tomorrow when I'm not on cold meds and can think straight. Bar path looks good. I think you are pretty close to being dialed in. What you will probably want to work on is keeping your back tight(shoulder blades pinched) and driving your traps into the bench a little more. To keep you back tight, stop over extending at the lockout. It isn't necessary to get the bar as far away from you as humanly possible, it(probably) doesn't have aids or anything like that. You don't need to fully lock your elbows every rep(this also helps keep elbow pain away for many).

Overall looks pretty good though. It is important to remember we all have our own style and sometimes it is necessary to adjust as our bodies change.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'll watch the video more tomorrow when I'm not on cold meds and can think straight. Bar path looks good. I think you are pretty close to being dialed in. What you will probably want to work on is keeping your back tight(shoulder blades pinched) and driving your traps into the bench a little more. To keep you back tight, stop over extending at the lockout. It isn't necessary to get the bar as far away from you as humanly possible, it(probably) doesn't have aids or anything like that. You don't need to fully lock your elbows every rep(this also helps keep elbow pain away for many).

Overall looks pretty good though. It is important to remember we all have our own style and sometimes it is necessary to adjust as our bodies change.
View Quote

Yeah I guess its not a total loss. I can move the bar for the most part. I remember working on this stuff before but I just fall back into bad habits especially when the weight is light or exhaustion is setting in. I need to practice not going all the way to the top that will help keep my back where it needs to be the most.
as far as leg drive goes i just get my legs tight and constant upward pressure, it never changes. should i let up as the bar comes down then push when im pushing the bar up or just leave it at a constant tension?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. No need to start over. You just need to make some tweaks to really dial it in.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top