Site Notices
Page / 35
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Eyeballing Smolov for bench press.

View Quote

Don't.  That's for guys that have been lifting for a long time and need to break a plateau.  It's not for you (or me, or probably anyone on this forum)

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Don't.  That's for guys that have been lifting for a long time and need to break a plateau.  It's not for you (or me, or probably anyone on this forum)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably right.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Probably right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably right.

I actually have heard Chad Wesley Smith be really critical of Smolov on his podcast before, basically saying it has no place in most lifting training.  Then in the class I took from him there was a older woman, maybe weighed 130lbs and was into crossfit, asked about how she should incorporate Smolov into her squatting.  He pretty much was really nice about how he guided her into have no Smolov left and only using reasonable training methods like....his (of course).  I was cracking up knowing what he's said in the past about them.

I think the bigger problem is one of constantly jumping programs, find something that's good and will work, like 5/3/1 (are you still doing SL 5x5?) and just set it up well.  A year later you'll have made great strides.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I actually have heard Chad Wesley Smith be really critical of Smolov on his podcast before, basically saying it has no place in most lifting training.  Then in the class I took from him there was a older woman, maybe weighed 130lbs and was into crossfit, asked about how she should incorporate Smolov into her squatting.  He pretty much was really nice about how he guided her into have no Smolov left and only using reasonable training methods like....his (of course).  I was cracking up knowing what he's said in the past about them.

I think the bigger problem is one of constantly jumping programs, find something that's good and will work, like 5/3/1 (are you still doing SL 5x5?) and just set it up well.  A year later you'll have made great strides.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably right.

Nah I never stopped SL.
5/3/1 is another I looked into.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nah I never stopped SL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably right.

Nah I never stopped SL.

You probably could squeeze a lot more out of SL.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]
for sure, just trying not to get burnt out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

How could you get burnt out you've only been lifting for a few months?

Or maybe a year.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Or maybe a year.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe a year.  

I fell off in a bad way.  Heck it's probably been almost two months since I last lifted.  I started last August and lifted consistently until November.  Then started again in December.   Took another small break in February or so.  Then stopped sometime in March.  This last break started because of a pulled muscle in my back.  Then I lost motivation to start again.  And right now I'm just too busy and it's no longer part of my daily routine.  I really need to start again but just haven't found the motivation to do so.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I fell off in a bad way.  Heck it's probably been almost two months since I last lifted.  I started last August and lifted consistently until November.  Then started again in December.   Took another small break in February or so.  Then stopped sometime in March.  This last break started because of a pulled muscle in my back.  Then I lost motivation to start again.  And right now I'm just too busy and it's no longer part of my daily routine.  I really need to start again but just haven't found the motivation to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe a year.  

I've been working 7A-7P 6 days a week and 9-5 Sundays for 2 months.
I drag my ass in the house longing for a beer and a nap.
Instead I make a shake a lift.
I start hating it and end loving it.
Force yourself. It's worth it
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe a year.  

Lifting is life!
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Looking over 531 and it actually sounds fun. I like the short term goal aspect of it and the 1rm medium goal.
Amrap at a workable weight sounds just like what I need.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looking over 531 and it actually sounds fun. I like the short term goal aspect of it and the 1rm medium goal.
Amrap at a workable weight sounds just like what I need.
View Quote

It's a good program, but you'll be further ahead if you take the 5x5 then 3x5 as far as you can first.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you played around with some stuff and figured out what direction to go in?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Im leaning toward trying 5/3/1 for a bit honestly. AMRAP seems fun.
I know there are accessory workouts with 5/3/1 (at least the app I have looked at) and I cant do them since some are machine orientated, so I made some on the JEfit app that coincided with the muscly group for the day.
So bench days dumbell fly's, inclined pushups, skullcrushers and something else (I forget). Trying to target all the bench press areas.
Just thinking aloud. Seems like I could get a mix of compound and isolation (chase some pump) and still improve my big lifts.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I know there are accessory workouts with 5/3/1 (at least the app I have looked at) and I cant do them since some are machine orientated, so I made some on the JEfit app that coincided with the muscly group for the day.
So bench days dumbell fly's, inclined pushups, skullcrushers and something else (I forget). Trying to target all the bench press areas.
Just thinking aloud. Seems like I could get a mix of compound and isolation (chase some pump) and still improve my big lifts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a good plan.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sounds like a good plan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a good plan.

Gonna give it a whirl tomorrow. What the heck.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a good plan.

Different stuff works for different people. Haha.

If you look back at when you started last year, what were your starting numbers compared to now? Are they on par with where SL says you should be?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you look back at when you started last year, what were your starting numbers compared to now? Are they on par with where SL says you should be?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a good plan.

Hhhmmm not sure. I read mehdi says 1 year tops for SL. Most guys like Thrall say 6 months. Im between both of those.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Alright, gave 5/3/1 a shot today and it was cool focussing on your main workout for the day, AMRAP at the end and go on to some AUX exercises.
I did the following acc exercises 3x8, made notes about weight to increase/decrease for next time. Didnt go nuts shoulder still pretty rough.
Dumbbell Lateral Raise
Barbell Shrug
Dumbbell Arnold Press
Barbell Up Right Row
I set my 1RM a tad low just to get going. Overall a good mix for the day and it went really fluid and smooth.
What I really liked was I got to really work on some form for OHP and get a bit more volume.
I think I may wait to do bench sunday and let this shoulder rest some more. I am a side sleeper and I find it really feels worse after I sleep.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#20]
its as if he knows me somehow...
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#21]
good workout today.
Gonna bet legs will be sore tomorrow, Romanian deads work'em.
Shoulder still isnt 100%, must have really doubled down on it. May go ahead and do bench next since first week is kinda light.
I tell ya, my abs have really been getting worked lately, core getting stronger.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Have you figured out what's going on with your shoulder? Is it just muscle soreness or is the joint acting up?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have you figured out what's going on with your shoulder? Is it just muscle soreness or is the joint acting up?
View Quote

Its getting a little better each day. Its actually not too awful today. Ill probably bench light tomorrow.
I'm not sure what muscle or joint or ligament is injured but the most pain occurs when the arm is pushing into the shoulder example, this position except say on your side on one arm, nearly unbearable.:

Or when I'm holding one of the kids in that arm. Whatever tendon, ligament is responsible for helping hold it all in place maybe. Another clue is there is a bone that pops up right about the shoulder joint, I think it connects with the clavicle, it was sore as hell. Holding weight or pushing seem to hurt the most.

EDIT:
just to add, Last two workouts only a few exercises caused pain.
Upright Barbell Row was the worst, it really engaged my clavicles (mine are jacked from all the surgeries, crooked and uneven), the other was lateral dumbbell raises.
but deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, arnold press, bent over barbel row (two arm), no problem.
Ill play it easy tomorrow on bench. The routine is:

5/3/1 bench press (not sure on max weight, guessing 110/120 lbs or so)
Dumbbell Fly
Bench Pushups
Dumbbell Lying Triceps Extension (skullcrushers)
Dumbbell Standing Alternate Front Raises

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#24]
squat day yesterday. Everything went pretty well.
I messed up and put romanian deads on two days.
Still tinkering with reps and weight on aux. But its coming along okay.
Shoulder still not right though, even felt it on squats when gripping the bar etc. Kinda weird.
Bench is tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:55:54 AM EDT
[#25]
A little heavier this week but okay so far. I need to review my notes and adjust weight on the accessory exercises. I am pretty sore though.
Shoulder still bothers me, but it's not as bad as it was.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#26]
That sucks your shoulder is still giving you some issues. I would keep trying to identify what the issue is with it so you can actively get it better.

Having fun with the new program?
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That sucks your shoulder is still giving you some issues. I would keep trying to identify what the issue is with it so you can actively get it better.

Having fun with the new program?
View Quote

new program is alot of fun, love AMRAP. Going to up some weight today on the accessory workouts and start chasing some pump as hard as I can.
I think shoulder is finally coming around. just pressed the heck out of it and its not sore to touch anymore, thats good.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Biggish update- Body wise, stuff has been changing. My core/abs have really come alive, I have no idea how or why but during workouts and just through the day I can feel my abs just flexing and working like never before. Since ive been doing alot of flys and such my shoulders are getting alot stronger, I can tell just putting weights on the bench etc that strength has increased even over the last few weeks. Ive noticed in just every day life increased strength has helped me out. Ive been working on my truck alot and its older with alot of rusty bolts etc and I have really put strength to work a few times. Maybe that sounds cheesy to you guys but its nice to really start telling a difference in upper body strength for me. Okay, on to the normal "here is how the workout went" update.

Big workout today For Bench/Chest day. Since upper body is a bit weak for me Ive poured on the accessory exercises for chest - triceps - shoulders
Bench felt REAL good today, form felt good leg drive was there, elbows tucked in, I feel like I am on the right track, no shoulder problems. Now I just need to put the work in.
Here is a screenshot of the accessory stuff. Remember this is after 5/3/1 bench press. I tried to go Chest - Triceps - Shoulders - Chest - Triceps - Shoulders. I had to remove a workout (inclined bench) I just couldnt get the bench and everything situated. So ill have to re-arrange that. Anyhow, great pump today, jello arms.

Todays workout brought to you by: Pretty good, tastes like yoohoo's.

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like some good improvement. Yeah I like those muscle monsters too. I'll try the chocolate. Ive only had the vanilla
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sounds like some good improvement. Yeah I like those muscle monsters too. I'll try the chocolate. Ive only had the vanilla
View Quote

Gonna try vanilla tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#31]
It's nothing special. I just got all chocolated out some years back when every supplement I had access to was chocolate. So I rarely get anything chocolate.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's nothing special. I just got all chocolated out some years back when every supplement I had access to was chocolate. So I rarely get anything chocolate.
View Quote

I hear ya. These were buy 2 5$ or something. Grabbed one of each.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Pushing like hell lately.
I goofed this week and had to do 3 workouts back to back.
Squat day today. Upped weights a bit. May have to lower one (barbel lunges) just a balance thing.
Paused bench squat ill def up weight on. I like those alot though.
Energy is there and I feel pretty good, kids sleeping at night now so that has been a big help.
next week is week 4 of 5/3/1 not sure if there is a test or something at the end for 1RM or what. Ill have to check it out.
I like the program. It alleviates the issue I was having of trying to squat at max then turn around and bench at max then deadlift at max etc.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Squat day today. Upped weights a bit. May have to lower one (barbel lunges) just a balance thing.
Energy is there and I feel pretty good, kids sleeping at night now so that has been a big help.
next week is week 4 of 5/3/1 not sure if there is a test or something at the end for 1RM or what. Ill have to check it out.
I like the program. It alleviates the issue I was having of trying to squat at max then turn around and bench at max then deadlift at max etc.
View Quote

You do a 5 or 10 pound  jump depending on how you feel it went or how slow you want to take it.

Later on you may have to do a fractional jump or no jump at all and just try to add reps.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You do a 5 or 10 pound  jump depending on how you feel it went or how slow you want to take it.

Later on you may have to do a fractional jump or no jump at all and just try to add reps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah okay. I put my 1RM's pretty conservative so ill 10lb it for sure. Feel real good.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I took measurements a few weeks ago. These may change back maybe I suck at it I dunno, but we'll see. This was over 15 days.
6.73% increase in arms,
1.73% increase in neck
1.2% increase in thighs
1.8% increase in calves
2.3% increase in forearms

4.73% decrease in waist
2.1% decrease in chest (fat)

Stupid height still didnt change.
I have been sweating to death working outside on the truck and during exercise, the humidity here is nuts sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#37]
what protein powder are you guys using?
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Myprotein.com whey isolate.

I also use their Hurricane extreme post workout. It's magic.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#39]
ON gold standard. One day I'll try the website kaik mentioned when there is a good sale and I need more. But I really like ON.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
ON gold standard. One day I'll try the website kaik mentioned when there is a good sale and I need more. But I really like ON.
View Quote

They always have a good sale.

Well, most of the time.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I took measurements a few weeks ago. These may change back maybe I suck at it I dunno, but we'll see. This was over 15 days.
6.73% increase in arms,
1.73% increase in neck
1.2% increase in thighs
1.8% increase in calves

4.73% decrease in waist

I have been sweating to death working outside on the truck and during exercise, the humidity here is nuts sometimes.
View Quote

Hell yeah! Suns out, Guns out! Hope you went to walmart and loaded up on $4 tank tops for the summer! Don't neglect the delts and traps to complete the look.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes Ive heard good things about that brand. I think it got top rating at that website i listed.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Hell yeah! Suns out, Guns out! Hope you went to walmart and loaded up on $4 tank tops for the summer! Don't neglect the delts and traps to complete the look.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
6.73% increase in arms,
1.73% increase in neck
1.2% increase in thighs
1.8% increase in calves

4.73% decrease in waist

Definitely trying to work it all.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Ive been using MusclePharm Combat Chocolate milk. It tastes pretty good and lasts a long time. about 10$ a lb.
I like switching it up every now and then though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ive been using MusclePharm Combat Chocolate milk. It tastes pretty good and lasts a long time. about 10$ a lb.
View Quote

I can get ON for that price at costco. The mp is cheaper still. But they had an issue with amino spiking and I don't really trust them due to that. The product might be fine now. But what is the point of supplementing with sub-standard supplements or supporting businesses that do shady things? Just the way I think of it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I can get ON for that price at costco. The mp is cheaper still. But they had an issue with amino spiking and I don't really trust them due to that. The product might be fine now. But what is the point of supplementing with sub-standard supplements or supporting businesses that do shady things? Just the way I think of it anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, ill check out ON.

edit: just realized ON was Optimum Nutrition.
I was thinking of grabbing some of that last night.
rocky road any good?
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Discout Code for Myprotein.com
KORY15
Got it of a youtube channel I watch, i just checked the site and it does work.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

yeah, ill check out ON.

rocky road any good?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, ill check out ON.

rocky road any good?

Yeah my wife loves the rocky road. It tastes like chocalate and marshmallows. We always mix our protein in milk so I don't know how it tastes in water if that is a concern.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yeah my wife loves the rocky road. It tastes like chocalate and marshmallows. We always mix our protein in milk so I don't know how it tastes in water if that is a concern.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, ill check out ON.

rocky road any good?

Cool. Im pretty unpicky about milk or water, we use almond milk alot.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, ill check out ON.

rocky road any good?

I like mixing the ON banana with a mix of the almond/coconut milk and whole milk. Tastes great. I've never been a fan of protein mixed with water. I'll do it... but only if I have to.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top