BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why dont you try google instead of trying to pick apart what i said ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understood the stated purpose. But, both of you are dancing around the issue and indulging in hyperbole, instead of answering the question.

"Thanks for explaining. But, it does leave me a bit confused. Aren't repeated, sugar-induced, insulin spikes supposed to be bad for health?"

repeated? YES.  that's why 2/3 of this country is fat.  Repeated insulin spikes will not let your body burn fat from what I understand and will signal it to store it.  Repeated to me is a shitty diet full of pop, white stuff, candy, sugar,etc.  

Most people don't lift every day, I lift 4 days so I wouldn't consider it repeated in my case.

<chuckle> The human capacity for self-delusion never fails to amaze and amuse me.

repeated: said, done, or happening again and again

I hate to break it to you, but if you're doing it four times per week, week after week, month after month, year after year, it's repeated.

a. What "trying to pick apart"??? Again you engage in hyperbole. I merely responded to your comment.

b. I did use google for the definition of "repeated" -- something you really should've done before making such a remark.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Would you share the data you're using to define what constitutes an insulin spike and the frequency at which that becomes harmful?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Thanks for explaining. But, it does leave me a bit confused. Aren't repeated, sugar-induced, insulin spikes supposed to be bad for health?"

repeated? YES.  that's why 2/3 of this country is fat.  Repeated insulin spikes will not let your body burn fat from what I understand and will signal it to store it.  Repeated to me is a shitty diet full of pop, white stuff, candy, sugar,etc.  

Most people don't lift every day, I lift 4 days so I wouldn't consider it repeated in my case.

<chuckle> The human capacity for self-delusion never fails to amaze and amuse me.

I hate to break it to you, but if you're doing it four times per week, week after week, month after month, year after year, it's repeated.

Would you share the data you're using to define what constitutes an insulin spike and the frequency at which that becomes harmful?

1. The OP said he eats Froot Loops before and after workouts. Froot Loops have very high sugar content. Would they not cause an insulin spike?

2. Is there a frequency at which insulin spikes are not harmful?
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

a. What "trying to pick apart"??? Again you engage in hyperbole. I merely responded to your comment.

b. I did use google for the definition of "repeated" -- something you really should've done before making such a remark.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understood the stated purpose. But, both of you are dancing around the issue and indulging in hyperbole, instead of answering the question.

Jesus dude, he's obviously differentiating between purposefully spiking insulin post workout for protein synthesis and a fat slob that spikes his all the time from shoving his face full of sugar 24/7.

Whether or not you agree with taking in a bunch of carbs post workout, or whether it helps is up for debate, but there's a huge difference between "repeated" as in once a day and "repeated" as is 6 times a day.

ETA- this is in no way defending eating fruit loops post workout which IMO is a terrible idea.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Jesus dude, he's obviously differentiating between purposefully spiking insulin post workout for protein synthesis and a fat slob that spikes his all the time from shoving his face full of sugar 24/7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, that's quite obviously his intent. It's also obviously a red herring, meant to divert attention to what the "fat slobs" in society are doing.
Whether or not you agree with taking in a bunch of carbs post workout, or whether it helps is up for debate, but there's a huge difference between "repeated" as in once a day and "repeated" as is 6 times a day.

Only in magnitude, not in kind. The question is, are the "once a day" (or in the case of the OP, twice a day) repeated insulin spikes doing harm to the body?
ETA- this is in no way defending eating fruit loops post workout which IMO is a terrible idea.

Thanks! Finally, somebody addresses the issue instead of dancing around it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, that's quite obviously his intent. It's also obviously a red herring, meant to divert attention to what the "fat slobs" in society are doing.

Only in magnitude, not in kind. The question is, are the "once a day" (or in the case of the OP, twice a day) repeated insulin spikes doing harm to the body?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you're just looking for an argument. I get it.

"only in magnitude not in kind"

So what? That's still a huge difference.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Apparently you don't.

And still quite irrelevant to the question of whether once or twice a day is harmful.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Apparently you don't.

And still quite irrelevant to the question of whether once or twice a day is harmful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently you don't.

Do you realize you're coming off like a complete ass?

As far as I know there isn't an exact answer to your question. We do know that spiking it too much causes health problems. If you want/know the answer why don't you find or share some studies.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:08:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 4:06:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The purpose of post workout nutrition is to stop the breakdown of muscle and kick start the rebuilding by flooding the blood stream with amino acids and glycogen.

People seem to think you only build muscle when you sleep but protein synthesis is happening 24 hours a day.

*I'm not a nutritionist and frankly not all that smart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read a study recently (OK, TLDR, I read the abstract) that compared two groups of trainsers: one that consumed simple carbs post workout and a control group that did not.  The study showed that that those who consumed the carbs post-workout did replace glycogen stores faster, BUT that after 24 hours of normal eating, the glycogen stores of both groups were equally restored.  The study concluded that post workout carbs to replace glycogen work, but aren't very necessary except for athletes who train more than once per day.

I would probably also add in people who work physical jobs after training (firefighter, cops, etc).

I've posted the same multiple times.  What I haven't seen and wonder though is if there are benefits for strength training from post-workout feeding.  Is there some post-workout increase in protein breakdown and resynthesis compared to normal feeding.  I think most of the research in this area has focused on endurance training and the info on strength training is in the realm of broscience.

The purpose of post workout nutrition is to stop the breakdown of muscle and kick start the rebuilding by flooding the blood stream with amino acids and glycogen.

People seem to think you only build muscle when you sleep but protein synthesis is happening 24 hours a day.

*I'm not a nutritionist and frankly not all that smart.

Yeah, I understand the intent.  Is there data that shows there's a difference in effect between the post workout feed and eating a normal meal cycle?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 4:08:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

1. The OP said he eats Froot Loops before and after workouts. Froot Loops have very high sugar content. Would they not cause an insulin spike?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Someone ate a Snickers bar every year on his or her birthday, would that be harmful?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to copy-paste from someone else:
Your body strives to maintain homeostasis or balance. It will work to restore its pre-workout glucose levels—by gluconeogenesis or by the simple carbs you eat. A complete meal (meat and potatoes) may take two or more hours to digest. Too long to prevent catabolism.

Amino acids (protein) can be used for tissue repair, synthesis, AND energy. During and after anaerobic or aerobic exercise glycogen (blood sugar--i.e. fuel) levels are depleted. During this negative energy balance, amino acids will be used (gluconeogenesis) to assist in energy production. Gluconeogenesis is supported by the release of branched-chain and other amino acids from structural proteins (i.e. catabolism of your muscles) to maintain glucose homeostasis. If your energy (glucose) needs are satisfied, protein can be used for tissue repair and growth. Carbohydrates (sugars) are muscle-protein sparing because they inhibit muscle-protein breakdown. To be effective, the carbs need to be consumed soon--either before, during, or immediately after your workout depending on the length of your workout. Two hours later? You've missed the mark.
View Quote

This is pretty much how it was explained to me by a trainer years ago. I don't know if the "science" behind it is sound, but he had me eating no fat sugary shit after every workout and also making an entire day of free-for-all carbs the end of the week all the way until the last week of my show. Fat just kept falling off of me until I had almost none left. Of course the rest if my diet was ridiculously clean.

I can't argue it's merits because I never did much research on the matter. I just did what I was told and continued to do it afterwards because it seems to work for me. My trainer did say he had me consume more junk carbs that his other clients because my metabolism utilized it better. Something about insulin sensitivity. I'm staying big and lean so I don't see me changing it any time soon.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is pretty much how it was explained to me by a trainer years ago. I don't know if the "science" behind it is sound, but he had me eating no fat sugary shit after every workout and also making an entire day of free-for-all carbs the end of the week all the way until the last week of my show. Fat just kept falling off of me until I had almost none left. Of course the rest if my diet was ridiculously clean.

I can't argue it's merits because I never did much research on the matter. I just did what I was told and continued to do it afterwards because it seems to work for me. My trainer did say he had me consume more junk carbs that his other clients because my metabolism utilized it better. Something about insulin sensitivity. I'm staying big and lean so I don't see me changing it any time soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Your body strives to maintain homeostasis or balance. It will work to restore its pre-workout glucose levels—by gluconeogenesis or by the simple carbs you eat. A complete meal (meat and potatoes) may take two or more hours to digest. Too long to prevent catabolism.

Amino acids (protein) can be used for tissue repair, synthesis, AND energy. During and after anaerobic or aerobic exercise glycogen (blood sugar--i.e. fuel) levels are depleted. During this negative energy balance, amino acids will be used (gluconeogenesis) to assist in energy production. Gluconeogenesis is supported by the release of branched-chain and other amino acids from structural proteins (i.e. catabolism of your muscles) to maintain glucose homeostasis. If your energy (glucose) needs are satisfied, protein can be used for tissue repair and growth. Carbohydrates (sugars) are muscle-protein sparing because they inhibit muscle-protein breakdown. To be effective, the carbs need to be consumed soon--either before, during, or immediately after your workout depending on the length of your workout. Two hours later? You've missed the mark.

Carboloading!
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#13]
so would eating starches like bread metabolize fast enough to prevent catabolism? or does it have to be sugars?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
so would eating starches like bread metabolize fast enough to prevent catabolism? or does it have to be sugars?
View Quote

I have doing sugar before my workouts, It rocks.

Simple carbs get there the fastest.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use to lol at people doing long course tri, trying to consume high fat and complex carb nutrition during workouts and especially races.  Why not wash that down with a beer or a shot of gin?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good, I love sugar
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I use to lol at people doing long course tri, trying to consume high fat and complex carb nutrition during workouts and especially races.  Why not wash that down with a beer or a shot of gin?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to chug 2 beers then go run a 5k. That was great. Well until I sweated out all the alcohol.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My suggestion, stanc, is that you take the high road away from this thread until it gets back on track (posting senseless and gratuitous pictures of post-workout meals).  You're not to blame for the direction it's gone, but you're a stone's throw from being the fall guy.
View Quote

Okay, I'll drop the matter. Those who replied to my posts persisted in evading the question, anyway.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Your quoted text is what happens during prolonged endurance exercise and I wager that you have to go pretty far to get to,the point where the body is converting skeletal muscle into substrate.

I understand the theory of post strength session feed. There is similar theory behind the post endurance workout feed, but science showed that there is no dufference in muscle glycogen level 24 hours post-workout between the immediate workout feed and just eating normally, so there is no point in a post endurance workout feed unless you're doing 2 a days.  In fact, post workput feeding could be counterproductive for weight loss.

That's why I'm curious about the science, as opposed to theories largely advocated by folks trying to sell supplements or ad space to supplement companies.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Your quoted text is what happens during prolonged endurance exercise and I wager that you have to go pretty far to get to,the point where the body is converting skeletal muscle into substrate.

I understand the theory of post strength session feed. There is similar theory behind the post endurance workout feed, but science showed that there is no dufference in muscle glycogen level 24 hours post-workout between the immediate workout feed and just eating normally, so there is no point in a post endurance workout feed unless you're doing 2 a days.  In fact, post workput feeding could be counterproductive for weight loss.

That's why I'm curious about the science, as opposed to theories largely advocated by folks trying to sell supplements or ad space to supplement companies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For most people doing a post workout feed weight loss is opposite of the result they are trying to achieve.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

For most people doing a post workout feed weight loss is opposite of the result they are trying to achieve.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in the context I was discussing - endurance athletes.  Lighter is almost always better there.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not in the context I was discussing - endurance athletes.  Lighter is almost always better there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you said strength session. So it was confusing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ok

there is no point in a post endurance workout feed unless you're doing 2 a days. In fact, post workput feeding could be counterproductive for weight loss.

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Y'all quit cher' bitchin and post pitchers.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Weekend breakfast - grilled peppers with sausage and egg

Spaghetti squash with bison ragu

Skillet seared salmon, salmon skin bacon, and sautéed zucchini with onion and garlic

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
salmon skin bacon,
View Quote

is that just really crispy salmon skin?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
salmon skin bacon,

Yes. I sear the salmon skin side down first, in a very hot cast iron skillet.  After a minute or 90 seconds, I flip the salmon and gently peel the skin. Once it's clear, I cook it for 1-2 minutes per side until crispy.  Delicious.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#31]
That seems like a lot of food, and I am a fatbody.  I am going to bet OP is 18 years old.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

http://i62.tinypic.com/2vb68o0.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/bgchp3.jpg
Skillet seared salmon, salmon skin bacon, and saut&eacute;ed zucchini with onion and garlic
http://i59.tinypic.com/2432893.jpg

View Quote
Very nice.  I copied that first one to my desktop.  Excellent and simple idea!!!

(This low carb thing is inevitable for me.  I just need to pick a date to start before my first heart attack. )

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes. I sear the salmon skin side down first, in a very hot cast iron skillet.  After a minute or 90 seconds, I flip the salmon and gently peel the skin. Once it's clear, I cook it for 1-2 minutes per side until crispy.  Delicious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
salmon skin bacon,

going to have to try that.  I usually do smoked salmon and hardly ever cook on the skillit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

going to have to try that.  I usually do smoked salmon and hardly ever cook on the skillit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
salmon skin bacon,

Don't overcook!  Easy to do.  I go for medium rare, so if I miss, which I sometimes will on thinner/leaner pieces, it's still only medium.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You're not wrong about the first part. But I hate all food now. Steak, fish, doesn't matter...I hate eating. I prefer ground meat so I can get it wet with something like cream of mushroom soup and shove it down as quickly as possible. Any meat I eat goes in the food processor.

Second part. So worth it. I look and feel fucking awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ground turkey dirt

Enjoying food is worth more to me than whatever you are doing

You're not wrong about the first part. But I hate all food now. Steak, fish, doesn't matter...I hate eating. I prefer ground meat so I can get it wet with something like cream of mushroom soup and shove it down as quickly as possible. Any meat I eat goes in the food processor.

You need Poundstone Shakes in your life.

Just don't put any salt in them, and you barely even know you're drinking a chicken shake.

I did a dinner thread on mine one day in GD.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just don't put any salt in them, and you barely even know you're drinking a chicken shake.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ground turkey dirt

Enjoying food is worth more to me than whatever you are doing

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That seems like a lot of food, and I am a fatbody.  I am going to bet OP is 18 years old.  
View Quote

Ha-ha, I didn't even eat this much when I was that age!
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:07:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that does seem like a lot of food unless you are 6'-8" 300#
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Today is a low carb day.
http://i.imgur.com/O88iYNG.jpg
Meal 1: 6 eggs + 6oz egg whites & two rice cakes
Meal 2: 8oz lean ground turkey & Random green veggie
Meal 3: 8oz lean ground turkey & Random green veggie
Meal 4: 8oz lean ground turkey & 4oz NoYolks egg noodles
Meal 5: 8oz lean ground turkey & 4oz NoYolks egg noodles
Pre Workout: 1 cup Fruit Loops w/15g whey
- Workout-
Post Workout: 1 cup Fruit Loops w/15g whey
Meal 6: 10oz lean ground turkey & 5oz NoYolks egg noodles
Meal 7: Protein Shake + 1/2 cup raw ground oats.
Bed: 2 cups cottage cheese
View Quote

That's how you do it, OP!  I need to get better at eating more than three meals, and tracking my calories, protein, carb and fat intake.  Right now I am on Bob Paris' 'Flawless' program, and that's something he really harps on.  Thanks for the kick in the pants.  

I usually eat breakfast and lunch at Whole Foods from their food bar (spending big bucks, but getting jacked is expensive).  I'll post up some pics this coming week.

Great thread idea!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Skillet seared salmon, salmon skin bacon, and sautéed zucchini with onion and garlic

View Quote

damn dude, that stuff looks excellent (skin but everything else )
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the same thing until I had a salmon skin roll at a sushi place.  You have to cook it crispy though or I agree with you perception.  Think about this:  Is the skin on fried chicken delicious?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Cauliflower "Arroz" con Pollo

Lamb burgers topped with pistachio pesto and roasted asparagus.  Lamb burger best burger

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#43]
H46 wins this thread.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
H46 wins this thread.
View Quote

I would eat it all except for the asparagus.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
H46 wins this thread.

Asparagus is phenomenal.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is the skin on fried chicken delicious?
View Quote

I pull the skin off chicken sir [/johnnyutah]
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

H46 wins this thread.

You dirty Communist!
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Last night - Pad see ew paleo style with noodles made from shaved carrots

Right now - 3 eggs over easy piled on turnip hash browns w/ Cholula chipotle sauce

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Asparagus is phenomenal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
H46 wins this thread.

Asparagus is phenomenal.

It's very good roasted.  Wrap 3 spears in prosciutto, drizzle with coconut oil, roast and it transcends description.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Cast iron seared pork chop and shredded Brussels sprouts, and turnip fries

Foreground: seared chicken sausage and turnip fries. Background: roasted spaghetti squash topped with eggplant caponata

Moroccan chicken, gazpacho, eggplant caponata

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top