Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/27/2015 7:17:18 AM EDT
I normally drink a 6 pack or a couple of 24 oz's a day after work, and when off.
I don't work out or anything, and I'm not fat, but I admit I almost never feel good.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Way better sleep after I stopped.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I did years ago, I noticed my wallet grew with free cash to spend, that was one positive, better sleep, no chance of a DUI, overall a better change in my life.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Drinking is retarded.  Seriously...yeah, I'll be that guy...it makes you poor, dulls your senses (driving, working on complex projects, etc), contributes to tons of injuries, and often harms time that should be spent with your wife and kids.  There is just no real long term benefit.  The majority of guys I see get fired will start their story with "we were drinking and..."

I haven't had a drink in years and don't miss it.  It was stupid.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I quit for the same reasons as most,been 5 years now have seen numerous friends get dui  ,accidents health related issues etc. seems to me my mind is working a lot better ,memory,overall health has improved . I also smoked if I drank so it got rid of 2 vices. kinda missed it at first but not now. promised myself if I quit I could buy all the guns Iwanted rather than pay the lawyers,judicial system, auto insurance companies. plus I found out that fat girls really are fat
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did years ago, I noticed my wallet grew with free cash to spend, that was one positive, better sleep, no chance of a DUI, overall a better change in my life.

View Quote

I agree with this. It's been about a year for me too. I have no urge to start back up anytime soon.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I quit. Changed my entire life. Never going back.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#7]
almost 19 years . the ammo and guns I bought  to replace the drinking  
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Alcohol is the worst drug there is. Kills 10's of thousands every year. If you have to drink that much every day you should consider quitting because that's too much. And it's "got you" .! Give it up, eat better, and work out some. You'll feel better overnight.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I agree with this. It's been about a year for me too. I have no urge to start back up anytime soon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree too more cash in my wallet. Less time sitting on my ass doing nothing but drinking. More time spent with wife, kids and family.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Try moderation, like a 6pack a week
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Mother and stepfather were alcoholics.  Terrible thing to live with alcoholic parents.

I drank, partied...  and around age 20 thought to myself I had miserable lifestyle.

Married at 22 and improved things considerably, but still drank some.

Had our first child at 29 and wife and I decided we weren't going to raise our children as drinkers.

Without a doubt one of the best decisions we ever made.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's awesome if you can do that.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So all your posts here have been done in a sober state? Never would have guessed that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So all your posts here have been done in a sober state? Never would have guessed that.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill drink a few more (maybe a 12pack but thats rare)some weeks, some weeks nothing.

I also drink coors light so its almost like not drinking at all

In the past Ive tried drinking myself to death dealing with guilt and depression then I woke up and stopped acting like a pussy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I had 2 beers last night, 332 calories 28 grams of carbs. Pretty close to the exact amount i went over on calories yesterday. Of course the 2 slices of pie didn't help either.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Somewhere between 15 and 16 years now. I didn't care enough at the time to mark the date. I know it was somewhere in the 99-00 time frame. Leaning towards 2000, though.

Now I wish I knew the exact date, I'd celebrate the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I did (mostly drank hard alcohol) and it didn't make much of a difference.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Hell I will buy a 12 pack and it will last me over 2 months some times.
There are others, where I will buy a 12 pack a month.

This is usually during the summer, when I boat and mow the yard.

I buy the bourbon and whiskey as well.

I will buy the gallon and it will last me 3 or 4 months.

This is coming from a guy whos Dad, grandfather, great grandfather, and him before that and etc...

This is on both sides of the family.

Who were alcoholics.

I just dont get the need to be drunk or drink a beer every day.

What really helped me was when I stopped drinking any soda.

I have dropped 40 pounds in less than 5 months.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll go weeks without a drink but I do enjoy a good beer after a hard days work. If you can't control yourself or it causes problems in your life you probobaly shouldn't do it. That being said if it causes you problems you're probobaly a dumb ass anyway and shouldn't do it to begin with. Also it's hard to trust a man that doesn't drink.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I am a very wreckless person when I drink.  Not really like getting in fights or anything.  Im past that.  More in the relationship sense.

Havent drank in 5 years, haven't missed it.  

I have learned to really loathe people though.  

Meh
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media.giphy.com/media/yA5Y3B4Ip13Xy/giphy.gif

not guilty.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hell I will buy a 12 pack and it will last me over 2 months some times. There are others, where I will buy a 12 pack a month.
This is usually during the summer, when I boat and mow the yard.

I buy the bourbon and whiskey as well.
I will buy the gallon and it will last me 3 or 4 months.

This is coming from a guy whos Dad, grandfather, great grandfather, and him before that and etc...
This is on both sides of the family.
Who were alcoholics.

I just dont get the need to be drunk or drink a beer every day.

What really helped me was when I stopped drinking any soda.
I have dropped 40 pounds in less than 5 months.    
View Quote

I have  some weird autoimmune cause nerve damage in my spinal cord.  At night I frequently get the 'twitches' where I uncontrollably will jerk and twitch from some spot, usually my legs but not always.  The only way I have found to shut it off is to drink a glass of wine or a beer.  Normally it shuts it off like a switch for a few hours, so I drink it right before bed if I'm twitchy.  

I've also become a beer snob, and I'd rather not have a beer than drink a bud.  But I've also never had more than two in a day, never been drunk and hate the idea of it, too much of a control freak for my own faculties.

BTW, if anyone has not tried Spotted Cow beer from New Glarus Wisconsin, it's the best there is.  A 6- -pack  lasts me about two weeks, a 6-pack of most of the other stuff will last a month.  Somehow I get twitchy more often when I've got some Spotted Cow in the fridge

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#26]
12 years...I've never felt better
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I drink Natty Lights, is that drinking?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#28]
The difference, better sleep, less gut, more energy.
Give yourself a year without and see how you feel.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm gonna give some encouragement to reduce or quit. I was a daily beer drinker for many years. Applied for life insurance last September and was denied due to alcohol marker and taking Enbrel for arthritis. Agent said we could try another company so I quit cold turkey for 35 days. Never planned to quit completely, just wanted to cut back. I have a few beers per week now and got insurance coverage. I feel a ton better, more energy. Don't miss drinking anymore and many times do not even want to drink because I don't want to feel like crap the next morning. Give it a try.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm gonna give some encouragement to reduce or quit. I was a daily beer drinker for many years. Applied for life insurance last September and was denied due to alcohol marker and taking Enbrel for arthritis. Agent said we could try another company so I quit cold turkey for 35 days. Never planned to quit completely, just wanted to cut back. I have a few beers per week now and got insurance coverage. I feel a ton better, more energy. Don't miss drinking anymore and many times do not even want to drink because I don't want to feel like crap the next morning. Give it a try.
View Quote
Minus the life insurance part, and only having a few a week that is what soda did to me.

I can't believe how much better I feel.

I went from having sever lower back pain every two weeks to none.

Some things in life if you use enough can cripple you.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I normally drink a 6 pack or a couple of 24 oz's a day after work, and when off.
I don't work out or anything, and I'm not fat, but I admit I almost never feel good.
View Quote

Depending on the beer you drink, a six pack will be somewhere between 600-1000 calories.  If you eat at TDEE, (total daily energy expenditure), you're going to gain about a lb or two/week doing that. If you're not gaining weight at a steady clip you're getting a good portion of your daily cals from beer. Also not good.

I used to drink 6-8 a night....felt like shit when I woke up and most of the day because of it.  I stopped that shit dead. Lost 40+ lbs from that and a lot of other lifestyle changes. I feel like I'm in my 20s again....actually better as I drank most nights then too.

If you don't curtail it, it will catch up with you eventually, it may already have. Try cutting it back to Friday and Saturday night and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I cut back big time on drinking and quit smoking (smoke feee for almost two years now) and it made a HUGE difference. I sleep better, have more energy, and just all around feel better. I go weeks without drinking and when I do it's 3 or 4 beers or a couple mix drinks, tops. Alcoholism is an issue in my family. I have one uncle who will drink a case of beer per night and another who drank a handle of jim beam a night, until his vocal chords where removed due to throat cancer. My Grandpa (on my dad's side) died from cirrhosis of the liver.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I cut back big time on drinking and quit smoking (smoke feee for almost two years now) and it made a HUGE difference. I sleep better, have more energy, and just all around feel better. I go weeks without drinking and when I do it's 3 or 4 beers or a couple mix drinks, tops. Alcoholism is an issue in my family. I have one uncle who will drink a case of beer per night and another who drank a handle of jim beam a night, until his vocal chords where removed due to throat cancer. My Grandpa (on my dad's side) died from cirrhosis of the liver.
View Quote

amazing how nicotine fucks up your sleep.  I slept like shit from high school til I quit chewing.  10-5:30 every day now without a hiccup
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I hardly drink anymore. Usually a six pack will last me a good two weeks. I might do 6-8 beers in a day/night once every month or two.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#36]

I was 210 in December.  I was drinking 5-6 beers per night, and had been for years.  GF told me to drop some weight or she was leaving me.  I stopped drinking, started lifting and running.  

Now I am 175.  Feel immensely better.  I was having wicked bad GERD at night; now that is gone.  People tell me I am not even the same person as I was last year.  And I estimate I have saved $1000 in beer money.

Honestly, though, I do miss drinking.  A 'few beers' was something I could look forward to.  What do I have to look forward to now? 6 mile runs, marathon weight lifting sessions, and mile swims.  Barf.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was 210 in December.  I was drinking 5-6 beers per night, and had been for years.  GF told me to drop some weight or she was leaving me.  I stopped drinking, started lifting and running.  

Now I am 175.  Feel immensely better.  I was having wicked bad GERD at night; now that is gone.  People tell me I am not even the same person as I was last year.  And I estimate I have saved $1000 in beer money.

Honestly, though, I do miss drinking.  A 'few beers' was something I could look forward to.  What do I have to look forward to now? 6 mile runs, marathon weight lifting sessions, and mile swims.  Barf.

View Quote

if you were drinking a 6 pack a day it's likely you saved about $2k in a year also 328500 calories enough to lose about 93 lbs
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

A beer or two here and there won't cause you gain weight, a 6 pack a night will. It has also been shown that an alcoholic beverage or two day doesn't show your metabolism as was previously said. Once you start drinking more than that there are negative effects.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm with Murderface on this one.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

amazing how nicotine fucks up your sleep.  I slept like shit from high school til I quit chewing.  10-5:30 every day now without a hiccup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really is.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:50:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really. Apparently some people don't know the choices aren't limited to "drink yourself into a stupor" and complete abstinence.

I used to regularly have a beer with dinner. Only quit because of a change in residence that prohibits alcohol. Otherwise, I'd most likely still be drinking a beer with my evening meal.

In regard to the OP's question, I didn't notice any difference before and after. Except, of course, now when I feel like having a beer, I can't have one...
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:34:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have  some weird autoimmune cause nerve damage in my spinal cord.  At night I frequently get the 'twitches' where I uncontrollably will jerk and twitch from some spot, usually my legs but not always.  The only way I have found to shut it off is to drink a glass of wine or a beer.  Normally it shuts it off like a switch for a few hours, so I drink it right before bed if I'm twitchy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have a neurological disorder with symptoms similar to MS. One of these is hand tremors, which made it impossible to get decent group sizes when shooting for accuracy. So I always took a beer along to drink just before any precision shooting. Worked pretty well at subduing the tremors.
I've also become a beer snob, and I'd rather not have a beer than drink a bud.  But I've also never had more than two in a day, never been drunk and hate the idea of it, too much of a control freak for my own faculties.

I've been blind, stinkin', staggerin', falling down drunk only twice in my life. The first was when my buddies and I went to the bowling alley on base to celebrate my 19th birthday.

The second was when I was stationed in Japan two years later. After work one night I went into one of the numerous bars that were near the base, and proceeded to drink the night away. While there, a typhoon blew through the area, but I paid it no attention, and kept drinking. Then time came and went for the last bus back to my barracks, but I stayed in the bar and kept drinking. When the bar closed, I took a step outside and heard the door being locked behind me. I leaned back against it, slid down and sat there in the rain with my back against the door. Woke up when it got daylight, and made my way back to the barracks. There I was greeted by my buddies, who told me how lucky I was to have not returned the previous night. In an interesting twist of fate, the typhoon's wind tore loose a big chunk of tile from the roof of the barracks next door and shot it through a window of my barracks, to impact smack dead center of my pillow! If I had not gotten drunk that night, I would've been asleep in my bed when that heavy tile crashed into my pillow head. So, it seems that I'm alive today because of booze. Nevertheless, I disliked the loss of control when drunk, and practiced moderation after that incident.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:51:23 AM EDT
[#44]
I moderate where I need to, still functional for my career and semblance of family (15 min phone call a wk) But I know I'm
slipping off the edge when I drink to munch. I need help but have problems asking for it, Totally my fault and I know how to
fix it/me. Just posting this for a reference on a moving mark which is life

Keep your head up guys, life is day by day, forget yesterday and tomorrow is just a dream nobody promised.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Really. Apparently some people don't know the choices aren't limited to "drink yourself into a stupor" and complete abstinence.

I used to regularly have a beer with dinner. Only quit because of a change in  residence that prohibits alcohol . Otherwise, I'd most likely still be drinking a beer with my evening meal.

In regard to the OP's question, I didn't notice any difference before and after. Except, of course, now when I feel like having a beer, I can't have one...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to regularly have a beer with dinner. Only quit because of a change in  residence that prohibits alcohol . Otherwise, I'd most likely still be drinking a beer with my evening meal.

This is dedication right here, keeping up with ARFCOM even in prison!

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh, heh. No, not prison, although it is indeed very similar in a number of ways. It's a "residential care" facility, sort of a low-budget nursing home, for elderly and disabled.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Heh, heh. No, not prison, although it is indeed very similar in a number of ways. It's a "residential care" facility, sort of a low-budget nursing home, for elderly and disabled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How are you doing Stan?  You were working on getting some strength last time I saw you gave an update, but I didn't think you were in a facility then.  Are you still able to work out?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the one time a make a smart ass comment I end up feeling like a dick
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, are you kidding us Hammer? I remember you giving us tips to find stuff back
in the reloading shortage. Your totally cool
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot, I didn't mean for that to happen. I actually found your remark rather amusing. In fact, when talking to friends or relatives I've occasionally referred to myself and other residents here as "inmates."

So please don't feel bad.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top