Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2015 2:27:02 PM EDT
Once I hit 180 weight again, which will be about 2 weeks, I'm looking at getting off of PPL.  I like the looks of this program and people doing it seem to enjoy it as well.  

Has anyone tried this?  Did you like it?

Here is the program:  http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155460263

What's different with my version?

You train 5-6 days a week rather than the four that Wendler recommends. You also skip the De-Load week on week 4.

This allows you to progress much faster. So basically you do Bench/Deadlift/OHP/Squat then just repeat. Only have 1-2 rest days a week. It'll be most beneficial if it was after either Squats or Deadlifts.

Each "Cycle" is a period of 12 workouts (3 workouts for each of the lifts, the 5 rep day, the 3 rep day and the 5/3/1 rep day)

Training 5/6 days a week means you should complete each cycle in 2 weeks or just over. That gives a 5kg/10lb progress in 2 weeks for Squat and Deadlifts, and 2.5kg/5lb progress for Bench and OHP.

I would run this program for 8-12 cycles at a time. That should be 4-6 months of following this routine. You can expect amazing results. If you run it for 12 cycles, you can expect 60kg gain on your training max for Squat and Deadlift, and 30kg gain on your training max for Bench and OHP in 6 months. Amazing progression.

On the last set, you have the option to max out on the reps. In this version you should max out on the last set for every session in the first 3 cycles. On the fourth cycle, just hit required reps.

DAY 1- Bench Press

Accessory Work:

Incline DB Press (3 sets).

Incline DB Flys (3 sets).

Close Grip Bench Press (3 sets).

Tricep Pushdowns (3 sets).

Machine Chest Press (2 sets).

DAY 2- Deadlifts

Accessory Work:

Barbell Rows (3 sets).

Pull Ups (3 sets).

Cable Rows (3 sets).

DB/Barbell Curl (3 sets).

Hammer Curl (3 sets).

DAY 3- OHP

Accessory Work:

Paused Bench Press (3 sets).

DB OHP (3 sets).

Side Raises (3 sets).

Face Pulls (3 sets).

Shrugs (3 sets).

DAY 4- Squats

Accessory Work:

Stiff Legged Deadlifts (3 sets).

ATG High Bar Squat (2 sets)

Leg Extensions (3 sets).

Calf Raises (3 sets).

Leg Curls (2 sets).

Yes. This will be very taxing on your CNS system. You will need to be eating in a caloric surplus for this program. Plenty of stretching for recovery, get enough protein and sleep.

Yes. This will give you amazing results, guaranteed.

Yes. You will add size not only strength on this program.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see it working like you've planned.  The whole idea of 5/3/1 is periodization. Your body needs rest to recover.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]
This program, 10,000 calories a day and several grams of test a week will get you jacked.

Seriously, doesn't seem realistic unless you have incredible genetics. You have to recover eventually. Maybe I read it wrong.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:08:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Largely depends On loads used, lifter experience, etc.

Looks like a good program base. The lack of deload may be problematic... But only if this program was run indefinitely.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Doesnt looks too bad. Need to make sure your recovery is good. If it gets taxing add in a day of rest or a deload week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top