Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2015 11:35:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Poke around your midsection and see if you can feel anything weird coming out of your muscles. Look up what a hernia is and you should be able to find it if you have one.

You might have had a minor muscle tear, or maybe not..
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Had hernia for 6 years before pain started. Lifted heavy my whole life
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Currently have one, no pain, surgery next week.  Had it for 6-8 months (not knowing it) but lifting for a couple months made it more noticeable.  You will see it on the side of your lowest ab muscles/groin, mine just looked like I had asymmetrically "fat" on that side of my groin, but I could push it in with my hands and blow it out with my diaphragm-that's how I knew it was a hernia.

If you look symmetric down there, you are probably OK unless it was a bilateral and they both pushed out, but you said left side.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to the doc.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#7]
You might just have tweaked a muscle.  I did that with squats a while back, and it felt like my left nut was going to explode.  However, there was no hernia.  Unfortunately, I couldn't squat for a long time.  Hopefully the doc doesn't find anything.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
That sucks. Sorry to hear that. Take it easy now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#10]
My hernia never hurt....until it was surgically repaired. Did "open" surgery with mesh. It's been about 13 months now. The sharp pain from a sneeze is starting to subside, but its still noticeable.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What were your options for the surgery? How long did it take to recover from the mesh surgery?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My hernia never hurt....until it was surgically repaired. Did "open" surgery with mesh. It's been about 13 months now. The sharp pain from a sneeze is starting to subside, but its still noticeable.

What were your options for the surgery? How long did it take to recover from the mesh surgery?

My surgeon only offered the open surgery. I was out of work for a full week from a desk job. If you do anything active you will need more time. Surgery was outpatient, out by noon. The pain killers constipate you and you don't want to strain on the john after the surgery, so be sure to take stool softeners PRIOR to surgery!!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I lifted last Friday and during seated rows it felt weird again so I've been laying low this week. I won't see the surgeon until the 10th.

I guess I'll skip leg day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lifted last Friday and during seated rows it felt weird again so I've been laying low this week. I won't see the surgeon until the 10th.

Anything strenuous could strain the hernia more. And opening the wound up more will mean a longer recovery time, and larger possibility of another hernia in the future. I would start a good diet, and wait until after the recovery time of the surgery to re-start lifting. You're off season. Act like it, or you could hurt yourself bad.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You're absolutely correct. I just started to feel like I was moving some decent weight. The long term goal is what matters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anything strenuous could strain the hernia more. And opening the wound up more will mean a longer recovery time, and larger possibility of another hernia in the future. I would start a good diet, and wait until after the recovery time of the surgery to re-start lifting. You're off season. Act like it, or you could hurt yourself bad.

You're absolutely correct. I just started to feel like I was moving some decent weight. The long term goal is what matters.

Good Luck Maynard, I am on Day 7 of Recovery, its getting much better (as far as daily life/work usage-still can't lift much).  

Day 2 & 3 sucked the worst then steady improvement.  Just sucks to sit around that much but its the only way for a few days!

I had open, i can't tell you all the ins and outs of whats best, my surgeon made it sound like even with mesh, laproscopic had more recurrence than open surgery, so I went with the "little more recovery, should be a better end result" method he suggested.  I know a small amount of folks have issues with mesh eventually, but as a whole it's supposed to be worth that risk for the extra insurance against recurring hernias.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:05:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm on week three of recovery from  having two inguinal hernias repaired.  Both had mesh.

I had the same feelings as you did op; hurt for a few days then took a few off and when I went back to doing some ab work they started to hurt again.  I though I had just pulled a muscle but a friend at work told me to put my hand on the area and cough.  When I did I felt a bulge and made an appointment to see the surgeon.

I don't do anything manually stressing at work so I only took a week off.  Surgeon says not to lift anything more than ten pounds for six weeks then I can start back gradually.  

It sucks but you'll get through it.  Good luck

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#19]
My doc said at 8 weeks you will be 95% as healed as its ever going to be. Or.90.... i gave it 10 weeks before i started lifting again.  Its been good so far and im back to doing all powerlifts.  Shoulder and knee are fucked now because of the 10 weeks off but whos keeping track
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Good to hear you've got a date set and had good meeting with the surgeon.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Surgery scheduled for this Thursday, scheduled to be a robotic procedure which will allow for the use of a better mesh and be less invasive.

Surgery consultation went well, confidence is high with this surgeon. He really seemed to know his stuff and claimed thousands of hernia surgeries.

Down time will be 8 weeks until I can lift anything over 50 lbs.
View Quote

50 pounds?  Mine told me no more than ten for six weeks; and I've been freaking out each time I open a heavy door.
Good Luck with your surgery!
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

50 pounds?  Mine told me no more than ten for six weeks; and I've been freaking out each time I open a heavy door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Surgery scheduled for this Thursday, scheduled to be a robotic procedure which will allow for the use of a better mesh and be less invasive.

Surgery consultation went well, confidence is high with this surgeon. He really seemed to know his stuff and claimed thousands of hernia surgeries.

Mine said full release/whatever you want after 3 weeks--was yours std mesh type?
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Mine said full release/whatever you want after 3 weeks--was yours std mesh type?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, mesh on both sides.  It was done laparoscopic
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thank you! The weight restrictions start at 10 lbs and go up incrementally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you! The weight restrictions start at 10 lbs and go up incrementally.

Go ahead and get you some Miralax and colace before your surgery.  You don't want to have to strain to poop for a few days!
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Did you have a double hernia?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had one inguinal on each side and when they made the incision he found a small umbilical tear; so I actually ended up with three.  The one near my belly button just has a couple stitches.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I had one inguinal on each side and when they made the incision he found a small umbilical tear; so I actually ended up with three.  The one near my belly button just has a couple stitches.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow!  That many could really make the difference too! Yikes...
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Hit those stool softeners. Hang in there. We'll be praying for you on Thursday.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hit those stool softeners. Hang in there. We'll be praying for you on Thursday.
View Quote

I'll be praying for him on Friday and Saturday! LOL-those were the worst for me! (though I realize thurs has the highest chance of complication)

Just keep remembering there is a light at the end of the tunnel, keep resting even though you think you want to do stuff (early, like day 4-5).  Patience! :)
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Everyone I've talked to who has had hernia surgery has said the same thing, the 2 days after are the worst. This is my first invasive surgery so I'm sitting here today wondering what I've gotten myself into.

I appreciate all the kindness, truly.

Thank you!
View Quote

You will likely be OK when you are just sitting there "still."  I set up my recliner with a remote, laptop (set on a pillow on my lap) and watched TV/computer stuff all day.  Ice on/off every 20 mins. The main pain is walking around/doing anything (major burning/tearing sensation at the cut).  Bathroom time sucks too.

Hope you don't get sick from pain meds, my doc told me he only used ibuprofen for his hernia--Fuck that.  Its only Norco/Vicodin in my case but that helped much more than the Ibuprofen for me.  Some folks get by on a day of Tylenol for wisdom teeth too, and I have no idea how, I never get it that easy!
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hope you don't get sick from pain meds, my doc told me he only used ibuprofen for his hernia--Fuck that.  Its only Norco/Vicodin in my case but that helped much more than the Ibuprofen for me.  Some folks get by on a day of Tylenol for wisdom teeth too, and I have no idea how, I never get it that easy!
View Quote

I was sent home with Oxycodone. I stopped taking them after the first 24 hours because they will constipate you and make that first shit like giving birth. Take as little pain medication and you can. You have been warned!!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Hoping you feel better soon! ... And you are able to poop!

Check to see if they shaved your man berries. My hernia surgery was the first time I'd ever woken up to being clean shorn.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hoping you feel better soon! ... And you are able to poop!

Check to see if they shaved your man berries. My hernia surgery was the first time I'd ever woken up to being clean shorn.
View Quote

welcome to 2015
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Glad it went well, keep us updated and stay off those pain killers unless you just can't stand it anymore. They will constipate you and when that happens even THEY won't stop the pain you're going to feel from that first poop!
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The stool softeners have not done the job, at all. I'm chugging Milk Of Magnesia and eating softeners like candy. I didn't sleep at all last night because when I laid down, it hurt like crazy.

I did re-arrange the safe and sorted brass last night so it wasn't a total waste of time.

i am dreading the first BM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glad it went well, keep us updated and stay off those pain killers unless you just can't stand it anymore. They will constipate you and when that happens even THEY won't stop the pain you're going to feel from that first poop!

The stool softeners have not done the job, at all. I'm chugging Milk Of Magnesia and eating softeners like candy. I didn't sleep at all last night because when I laid down, it hurt like crazy.

I did re-arrange the safe and sorted brass last night so it wasn't a total waste of time.

i am dreading the first BM.

That don't always come on time after general anesthetic, just FYI, don't OD on the Milk of Magnesia, as it soon may not be safe to unclench, or even sleep for that matter

General Anesthetic kind of shuts your whole body function down a bit, takes a while for it all to rally back correctly.

ETA:  Rest, Time and Patience now, that's what you need the most of, give it 2 more days to get "over the hump"
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Hows that recovery going?
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Make sure you give it plenty of time to heal before doing anything remotely heavy. With proper healing and the mesh hopefully you won't have anymore issues....on that side. My doc said I'm at an elevated risk of having one on the left since I already had one on the right. He made it sound like it was just a matter of when not if. :-(
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Good to see you are doing better.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top