Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2015 11:29:01 AM EDT
Just got my BJJ blue belt from Rick Sparks (Soneca black belt.)  It has definitely been the biggest physical fitness/martial art/self-defense accomplishment for me.

I started around 290#, mostly fat, dropped to 240, but have gained much muscle (supplemented my training with stronglifts) and I feel amazing.

Thanks for letting me boast.  I think my story could inspire many, but it may be TL, DR.

I never dreamed some of the things I would be able to do with my body, that are now done without hesitation or much thought.

Whatever martial art, physical training you want to do, don't wait.  Do it now, keep doing something/anything to keep you active and headed towards peak physical fitness.  

Lots of good systems out there, but this is the only one that kept me coming back when all it did was hurt.

stronglifts stats:  255 lb squat (15 over body weight), 120 OH, 140 bench, 230 DL, although I really only care about my squat progress :)
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats man! I agree with you- having martial arts is a lifelong journey, and no better time to take the first step than NOW!
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats!

My sparring partner and I started at the MN Kali Group in February.  Their phase classes are a mix of JKD, Muay Thai, and Kali.  I'm down two full pants sizes, and feel awesome.  Had to quit smoking in order to keep up with class.  

Looking at diversifying into CSW and/or BJJ once we're up to snuff.  Need to get a ground game going.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats!

My sparring partner and I started at the MN Kali Group in February.  Their phase classes are a mix of JKD, Muay Thai, and Kali.  I'm down two full pants sizes, and feel awesome.  Had to quit smoking in order to keep up with class.  

Looking at diversifying into CSW and/or BJJ once we're up to snuff.  Need to get a ground game going.
View Quote

Thanks!  I started BJJ as a full on "operator" wanting to have some ground game to supplement my self defense, since a 160# 16 year old kid gave me a tough wrestling match.  I stayed because of all the other benefits like mental well-being, etc, and mostly its fun!

Definitely get some ground techniques.  If you go with BJJ, try to find a club with a black belt that has had success in competition, AND (probably more important) Spars a lot.  Practicing regularly the techniques against fully resisting opponents is the best way to make those moves permanent in your skill set.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Congrats man! I agree with you- having martial arts is a lifelong journey, and no better time to take the first step than NOW!
View Quote

Thank you!  

Getting my kids involved early is my hope.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Good job buddy and those of us that fight know that is a big accomplishment. Some belts can be bought and some are earned.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good job buddy and those of us that fight know that is a big accomplishment. Some belts can be bought and some are earned.
View Quote

It is a nice feeling having a belt with no stripes on it, when I visit other clubs.  I just fade into the background and get better every day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top