Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/19/2015 4:54:24 PM EDT
Don't ask me why, but my gym is having a contest to submit the strangest training myth you've ever heard.  Winner gets a free massage.  I'm not sure if they are actually picking good answers or if they are randomly selecting a winner.  Anyway, I thought the hive experts on ARF would have some good answers to this.  

So, ARF gym rats: what strange training myths have you heard?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
"i don't lift weights because I don't want to get too bulky"

"Squats will ruin your knees"

"The Smith machine is better than using a barbell"

"Curls are all you need for big arms"

"Deadlifts are bad for your back"
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, good ones!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Side crunches are good for slimming your love handles.

Crunches are good for spot reducing belly fat

The anabolic window only lasts for 30 minutes

Steroids are cheating

This program/exercise will let you add muscle and lose fat at the same time
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Bringing your knees in during squats will wreck them.

As far as odd, the one you goons talked about a year or so ago about putting the smaller plates on the inside of the bar will increase your lifts.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as odd, the one you goons talked about a year or so ago about putting the smaller plates on the inside of the bar will increase your lifts.
View Quote

That's not a myth.  That's simple physics.  Have you ever seen a stick move in a circle?  The inner part is moving faster than the outer part to complete the circle.  It's the same principle.  You can move the lighter weight faster if it's closer to the central pivot point.  You have to move the heavier weights with less speed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Steroids are cheating

View Quote

I hear the first ones a lot...crazy

You CAN build muscle and lose fat. It's just slow and hard.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's not a myth.  That's simple physics.  Have you ever seen a stick move in a circle?  The inner part is moving faster than the outer part to complete the circle.  It's the same principle.  You can move the lighter weight faster if it's closer to the central pivot point.  You have to move the heavier weights with less speed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and you have to put the numbers facing inward.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steroids are cheating

So so hard.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe so but the speed would have to counteract the increased torque on the bar. The bigger weights on the outside have a longer lever arm.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Maybe so but the speed would have to counteract the increased torque on the bar. The bigger weights on the outside have a longer lever arm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are able to use the stored energy in the bar with less total weight.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#11]
1.  You've got it wrong about the speed differential on rotating objects.  The closer to the center of rotation, the slower it is moving.  Look at a record--the outer edge has to go further than the point at the center spindle, yet they go around in a circle at the same time.  Thus the outer edge must be traveling faster.
2.  You're not moving the weights in a circle--The bar path should be close to a straight line.
3. The weights themselves are not spinning.  Oh they may rotate slightly on the bar, but they are not spinning.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Feel the force Luke

Be the ball Danny
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So so hard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steroids are cheating

So so hard.

I've done it...the hardest part is really just sticking to a pretty much perfect diet, and accepting you aren't going to gain a bunch of muscle OR lose a bunch or fat over night.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't spend much time in the gym, but I cannot think of a lift that causes the bar to rotate.  Help me out.

If this is some kind of lift where one end of the bar is fixed like a fulcrum, then your logic is backward.  Outside moves faster.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
1.  You've got it wrong about the speed differential on rotating objects.  The closer to the center of rotation, the slower it is moving.  Look at a record--the outer edge has to go further than the point at the center spindle, yet they go around in a circle at the same time.  Thus the outer edge must be traveling faster.
2.  You're not moving the weights in a circle--The bar path should be close to a straight line.
3. The weights themselves are not spinning.  Oh they may rotate slightly on the bar, but they are not spinning.
View Quote

You must be a Crossfitter.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:58:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you store energy in a bar? I plugged an old car battery to it. Didn't really notice a difference.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:22:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know a lot about physics, but if we're talking about lifts like the clean, the weights don't/shouldnt spin, just the bar itself.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:27:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Years ago some prevalent T Nation author wrote up an article on doing a left side right side training split. Basically one day you train the left side of your body and the next day you train the right side. Surprisingly this idea never caught on.

Even more surprising that is the most absurd training idea I can think of beyond the spot reduction of fat with exercise.

Edit: The idea that if you are not at or near an all time performance level you should just leave the gym. Example, your best 3RM on bench is 225, you plan on hitting a 3RM and hopefully do 230 or more. You do 205x3 and it isn't a max but you know you are  probably only good for 215. Quit your workout and leave since you must not be in the optimal state of recovery and readiness. Complete bullshit, PRs are made up of the numerous workouts you did where you didn't set PRs but still put in the necessary work, not all the workouts you blew off.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:05:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How do you store energy in a bar? I plugged an old car battery to it. Didn't really notice a difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bar flex is something that olympic lifters account for, the spring in a bar is the stored energy. On two part lifts you lift as the bar flexes up.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you wrap the copper coils around it first?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't spend much time in the gym, but I cannot think of a lift that causes the bar to rotate.  Help me out.

If this is some kind of lift where one end of the bar is fixed like a fulcrum, then your logic is backward.  Outside moves faster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Squats and deadlifts are essentially a rotational movement, although the plane and arc are interrupted.  From a physics perspective the equation would be something like "(pi)R^2/(n*4(naturallog))" where R is the distance you move the bar and "n" is the length of your body divided minus the length of your femur.  This is all assuming a low bar squat.  For high bar the equation would be different.  Also, the equation doesn't work for sumo deads.

As pointed out above, it also doesn't take into account the stored energy in the bar or the natural rebound/bounce out of the hole.

ETA:  It's not length of body divided by femur...it's length of body minus length of femur.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, crtical.  Especially with those weights as you're moving even more of the weight to the outside of the rotational vector.  You'll still get the effect with those hex plates that are identical on both sides, but it won't be as pronounced.  

I'm guessing with the iron plates versus the hex plates it probably adds 2%-5% to your total 1RM but that's just a guess off the top of my head.  However, that certainly still adds up when you're talking 2%-5% of a 400lb dead or squat.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#23]
"If you're breaking a sweat you're burning fat, not building muscle" - really?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Muscle confusion is a good one...
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Curling in the squat rack multiplies your available gains.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Spot training to reduce fat.

"I gained XX pounds of lean muscle in (insert absurdly short amount of time)"

"I don't lift because (insert lame excuse)"

"If you only do machines you won't get hurt"

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Spot training to reduce fat.

"I gained XX pounds of lean muscle in (insert absurdly short amount of time)"

"I don't lift because (insert lame excuse)"

"If you only do machines you won't get hurt"

View Quote

That's a good one...but I would change it to "Training with machines is safer than free weights if you don't have a spotter".
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's true.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true.

Also, another good example of an exercise where the smaller weights should be on the inside.  A curl is basically somewhere between a half and quarter circle.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#30]
The king of kings: "Muscle weighs more than fat."
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

....but....what they obviously mean is that for a given volume muscle weighs more than fat...which is true.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

The correct verbiage should be "muscle is more dense than fat".
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
....but....what they obviously mean is that for a given volume muscle weighs more than fat...which is true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course, but as stated in the reply above this, it should be that it is denser. A pound is a pound.

ETA: it isn't always obvious that people mean that it is denser, it's been used in a literal sense plenty of times. It's not as big nowadays, but it used to be one of the big things people would say, without really understanding that it's denser.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just because I work out doesn't mean I'm dense.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL, that explains why everyone seems to be doing it
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Also, another good example of an exercise where the smaller weights should be on the inside.  A curl is basically somewhere between a half and quarter circle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true.

Only if you are twirling the EZ-curl like a baton.

If you think of it in aviation terms...the curl motion is Pitch.  Because the plates are centered on the same axis in relation to Pitch (pivot point = the elbow), the lateral distance between them doesn't affect that force vector.  

Now look at the "Roll" axis, that will be affected buy the plates lateral spacing...because that will lengthen the Roll's force vector.  So your curl up is equal, the wobble between left and right arms might increase....so If you're looking for more work on stability, then I can see the point.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you think of it in aviation terms...the curl motion is Pitch.  Because the plates are centered on the same axis in relation to Pitch (pivot point = the elbow), the lateral distance between them doesn't affect that force vector.  

Now look at the "Roll" axis, that will be affected buy the plates lateral spacing...because that will lengthen the Roll's force vector.  So your curl up is equal, the wobble between left and right arms might increase....so If you're looking for more work on stability, then I can see the point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Hint: You guys are too serious for a "Training Myths" thread.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true.

Granted on an X/Y axis you are correct.  You have to add in the Z axis and it should make more sense.  To use the aviation analogy, it's not a plane but a helicopter.  The pivot point is around the shaft that's already rotating so you need to counter balance.

However, you bring up a good point.  If you're looking to build strength, i.e., lift the most possible weight then you can space them in the traditional manner with largest plate on the inside.  If you're looking for functional strength then it's advantageous to put the smaller weights on the inside.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#41]
"Low weight and high reps to tone up"
"squatting's bad for your knees"
"Why are you wearing vibrams? That's so unsafe!"
"Lifting belts should stay on for the entire session for optimal gains"
"You need to do a 'Leg Day' to get strong legs"
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#42]
lactic acid buildup in muscles is what makes them sore.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Static stretches before cardio.

ETA-not the strangest, just another thing a lot of folks still do.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:23:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Per GD, squats give you "tree trunks" for legs, and hemorrhoids.

Sorry - I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

ZOMG!!!

Those threads in GD never fail to deliver
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#47]
"Some of the Mr. Olympia contestants are all natural and just genetic freaks."

Not exactly training related, but I used to hear it in the gym all the time. I work out at home now, so I assume the myth still stands as I've seen it many times in GD.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think they are working.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#50]
"pro athlete X doesn't do steroids, they're not big enough."
"Nah bro,  I don't do steroids, this is just my insulin."   --> as he proceeds to slam a 2" needle into his glute.

Oh, and RBL said shaft.   HAH.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top