Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2015 5:24:24 PM EDT
While I was at Whole Paycheck Foods this morning buying breakfast, the coffee barista tried to sell me on something called "Mammoth Coffee".  She said a lot of people who workout drink it.  I was flattered that she recognized me a dude who works out .  

Anyway, Mammoth Coffee is Whole Foods spin on what is more generally known as "Bulletproof coffee".  It is coffee with butter and MCT (whatever that is) in it.  The Whole Foods version has coconut oil in it.  Does anyone drink this?  What benefit other than taste is there to it?  I did a search on ARF and found nothing about it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I put Irish Butter (grass fed) in my coffee, sometimes up to 2 tbs per cup.  Yes it is wonderful.  I've tried MCT in my coffee and didn't like it, so now I just eat that separately.  I just do the butter thing for extra good fat intake.  But it somehow intertwines with your caffeine addiction and you will start consuming a lot of butter.  It makes me consume more coffee too.  I'm drinking some now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife likes it but I find it disgusting.

We put hot coffee into the Ninja, with some coconut oil and Kerrygold butter. Apparently it does something with accelerating your metabolism?

If you try to google the term you'll just run into some website trying to sell you stuff.

A lot of it seems to just be hitched to the Paleo bandwagon.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
There's some theory that the MCT helps promote fat burning when you're in a fasted state.  That's also assuming you don't eat breakfast...or break fast.

I've stopped using coconut milk.  My breakfast is coffee a shot of whey and I leave out the coconut milk.

ETA:  I've seen the phrase "bulletproof coffee" before.  I cant' remember if that was paleo, whole 30 or one of the other dieticians that crossfit uses and throws away.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#4]
MCT = medium chain triglycerides, or, saturated fat. It's the fat that's in coconut oil.

I buy MCT oil on Amazon, and add it to my protein shakes. I'm on a keto diet though, so 14g of saturated fat (100kcal) per tablespoon and liquid at room temperature is an easy way to ingest good calories.

I can't say it gives me any more or less energy per calorie than other stuff I add to protein shakes though, such as coconut oil (52% MCT's, but contains a broader spectrum of them than the synthetic oil) or almond butter.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The science is weak... semi snake oil.  

Much more impactful things out there
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#8]
the old standby.

Calorie balance, macro partitioning, nutrient timing.

--

--

-

This MCT oil (or grassfed butter), and coffee bandwagon that people jump on is due to a spill over from ketosis dieting.

it's a way to get calories in that is low carb... It's nothing magic.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't really buy off on the "benefits" or whatever but all I know is Kerrygold + coffee = fucking awesome
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:49:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Loved the taste, does not fit into my macros. 500 calories down before I even eat breakfast seems silly to me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought you were supposed to drink it instead of eating breakfast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Loved the taste, does not fit into my macros. 500 calories down before I even eat breakfast seems silly to me.

You are. The drink is a replacement for breakfast
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No can do. Ain't got no protein to fuel theez gainz!

Edit, all joking aside, eating 180-190 grams of protein a day is harder than it looks. Missing an entire meal is out of the question.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I drink it and eat breakfast.  Sometimes just a protein shake.  Sometimes 3 fried eggs and 16 slices of bacon.  I drink it after lunch too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like a recipe for taking a seriously righteous dump about a half hour after drinking.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's coffee that is 500 calories? WTF?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you put a 2 tbs slice of kerrygold in one cup of coffee you're looking at about 250 delicious calories.  So have two and you're at 500.  I guess it would be more if you put MCT oil also in there, but then it would taste like shit, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you put a 2 tbs slice of kerrygold in one cup of coffee you're looking at about 250 delicious calories.  So have two and you're at 500.  I guess it would be more if you put MCT oil also in there, but then it would taste like shit, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll stick with my chemically enhanced sugar-free flavored creamer and store brand columbian coffee.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
the old standby.

Calorie balance, macro partitioning, nutrient timing.

--
--

-

This MCT oil (or grassfed butter), and coffee bandwagon that people jump on is due to a spill over from ketosis dieting.

it's a way to get calories in that is low carb... It's nothing magic.
View Quote

This^^

I recently got off keto and decided to switch up my cutting diet to one that included carbs. But while I was on keto I had it every morning.  Although I didn't buy there over priced coffee, I used dougnut shop coffe for my keurig.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:05:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I did it for a while. 2tbsp of Kerrygold and 2tbsp of Coconut oil, pour hot coffee on top in the blender, mix on high until a nice foam is on top, kicked ass.

Does everything it advertises. But then when i wanted to start tracking my calories, I entered it all and almost shit myself. I'm well aware of good fats etc but at some point a calorie is still a calorie so it had to go.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I don't really buy off on the "benefits" or whatever but all I know is Kerrygold + coffee = fucking awesome
View Quote
My exact thoughts. It's tasty, but guzzling butter just seems a little weird.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
but guzzling butter just seems a little weird.

View Quote

You havent been to the state fair and had deep fried butter
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I tried it. It was interesting. I used coconut oil and Kerrygold butter. I'm not much of a coffe drinker to begin with, but I found it to be kind of hard to drink.
View Quote

the taste wasn't bad, it just was.... acidic or something. Sort of left a bad feeling in the back of my mouth and throat.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I had one today, it was good.  I was super hungry a short while after drinking it (with a big breakfast).  Not sure if it spiked my appetite?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top