User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2015 10:35:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:19:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Best strategy for mid-pack Crossfitters for 15.1
1.  Break up the Toes to Bar.  Take short breaks but don't fatigue your grip.  First round should not be straight through on TTB,  I recommend 5-5-5, for rounds 1-2,  then 3-3-3-3-3 for the third round on subsequent rounds.  You need the grip for the second part, and do not want to rip here.
2.  Also break up the Snatches 2-2-1 after the first round, or better yet go for singles and let the bar drop.
3.  Warm up to about a 90-95% 1rm C+J before starting the WOD.  This will help build confidence.   Go with about 80% on your first try and go up from there, and give yourself about 2 min to rest.  
4.  Pre-position your weights near your workout area.  Plan how to use the 35 lb plate in your calculations so you don't have to swap it off and waste more time.   You may want to practice this during the warmup.
5.  Get in a good mobility session before starting the C+J warmup.

Coaches/affiliate owners:
If you are doing this in a box, you will need heats for this.   Set up a separate area for C+J and WOD warmup and give athletes 15-20 min or so to warmup.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1.  Break up the Toes to Bar.  Take short breaks but don't fatigue your grip.  First round should not be straight through on TTB,  I recommend 5-5-5, for rounds 1-2,  then 3-3-3-3-3 for the third round on subsequent rounds.  You need the grip for the second part, and do not want to rip here.

2.  Also break up the Snatches 2-2-1 after the first round, or better yet go for singles and let the bar drop.

3.  Warm up to about a 90-95% 1rm C+J before starting the WOD.  This will help build confidence.   Go with about 80% on your first try and go up from there, and give yourself about 2 min to rest.  

4.  Pre-position your weights near your workout area.  Plan how to use the 35 lb plate in your calculations so you don't have to swap it off and waste more time.   You may want to practice this during the warmup.

If you are doing this in a box, you will need heats for this.   Set up a separate area for C+J and WOD warmup and give athletes 15-20 min or so to warmup.
View Quote
Judging a guy last night, I agree with all of this. 15.1 is a grip test, that's what's going to fail.

I was pretty conflicted about the Open this year. I don't like the "scaled/rx" idea, and I'm not this year nor ever will be going to Regionals so isn't my 20 bucks better spent elsewhere? Then, when LawyerUp shanghai'd me into a strongman comp in 2 weeks, I decided that it was better to concentrate on that then be forced to do something like 14.3 where my body was wrecked for like 4 days straight.

We do all the Open workouts on the following monday anyway, so I'll be able to gauge myself against my local peers, which is all I really give a shit about anyway.

Thinking about my own performance, I am gonna say when I do 15.1 (probably monday) I'll be looking somewhere around 120 and 235-245#.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought Froning was retiring after the last Games?  I swear I heard that mentioned by the announcers as he won.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Boy I should have read this before I did the workout today - did the scaled, since my PR for snatch is only 125.  Got through all but my last round of knee raises unbroken and I paid the price on my last few deadlifts - both hands tore up nicely.  Managed 176 reps and 185 on the cleans which is pretty much where my last PR was, so I'm happy to hit that after the first 9 minutes of fun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I thought Froning was retiring after the last Games?  I swear I heard that mentioned by the announcers as he won.
View Quote
He is going Team, still has to do the Open.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the scaled option. I'm not a Games contender by any stretch. If I were to Rx, I'd be breaking up the TTB so often that I'd be lucky to get three rounds.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't sign up for the open either.  I'll do all the workouts probably anyways, but I've had my fill of CF competition for a while.  I'll never make it to regionals either, and I don't want to feel pressured to participate.

Rex, I found your/our next challenge.  Highland games.  One in WV in May  They are also apparently big in VA.  Kilts and throwing shit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I didn't sign up for the open either.  I'll do all the workouts probably anyways, but I've had my fill of CF competition for a while.  I'll never make it to regionals either, and I don't want to feel pressured to participate.

Rex, I found your/our next challenge.  Highland games.  One in WV in May  They are also apparently big in VA.  Kilts and throwing shit.
View Quote
We'll talk over a post-comp beer, eh?

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just at the venue today (see pics I posted in the wendler thread) and it's right next to a distillery.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Just watched a guy do 7 rounds and then went 275 on the C and J.  Looked fun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#11]
That was a great workout. I hadn't pushed myself that hard in a while. I felt like I could have done more on both 1 and 1A if I tried again, but I woke up the next morning with a cold. My score so far is top 10 in my scaled age bracket so I guess it wasn't too terrible.

Definitely motivated to master all the movements I don't quite have yet and Rx next year.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

My 2 cents on breaking things up:

Never break things up by the numbers- I mean don't go into it saying "I'm going to do 5-5-5". Instead break up based on hoe you feel, right then, during the workout. 5 may be super easy, in which case you just wasted a lot of time resting when you didn't need to. 5 may be too hard, in which case you just smoked yourself for no reason.

With TTB IMO it's always best to do sets until you feel like you still have 3-5 left in the tank...then drop off and rest, and jump up and do it again. That might be 2 reps or it might be 20 reps. Will vary greatly depending on the person.

Same goes for snatch.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#13]
15.1: 101, 1a: 215

Not bad since I haven't really been doing any type of conditioning for the past year, more powerlifting type routine. Squatting, DL, OHP and bench mostly. Abs are still sore from sunday.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been doing CF for 6 months & signed up for the Open, figured why not.
Anyway my score was 92 reps and #185 RX

If I can learn to get under the bar I know I could have moved more weight.....
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's really good, dude. Great job!

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks man! I've really drank the CF kool-aid, at the box 5 or 6 days a week. I'm a very competitive person so this is right up my alley. CF has been great for me, decided a year ago I was a fat ass & have since lost 50 pounds & in better shape than I've been in 15 years. I'm also 43.

I hear the prediction for 15.2 is the below, & since I just can't get double unders to save my life I may have to do scaled.

The 15.2 prediction: 15.2
As many repetitions in 12 minutes of:
30 Double-Unders
15 Overhead Squats
10 Handstand Push-Ups
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#17]
My guess is that:

Fifteen. Point two. Is.

Fourteen

Point

Two

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#20]
15.1--- 125 reps
15.1a-- 210 lbs
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks man! I've really drank the CF kool-aid, at the box 5 or 6 days a week. I'm a very competitive person so this is right up my alley. CF has been great for me, decided a year ago I was a fat ass & have since lost 50 pounds & in better shape than I've been in 15 years. I'm also 43.

I hear the prediction for 15.2 is the below, & since I just can't get double unders to save my life I may have to do scaled.

30 Double-Unders
15 Overhead Squats
10 Handstand Push-Ups
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

30 Double-Unders
15 Overhead Squats
10 Handstand Push-Ups

I think that 15.2 is going to be something with Chest to Bar pullups...
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My guess is that:

Fifteen. Point two. Is.

Fourteen

Point

Two

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:33:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I knew that with those two going head to head that we were going to get C to B pullups...
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I am not trying to be a troll, but I read this last night.

Curious what you guys think?

https://www.t-nation.com/powerful-words/crossfit-and-steroids

The more I read up on PED's, the more I think they are very common in top level sports.  And elsewhere for that matter.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The more I read up on PED's, the more I think they are very common in top level sports.  And elsewhere for that matter.
View Quote

No doubt they would help in CF, and no doubt they are being used - just like in anything else that involves strength and speed.  If I had a shot at being a games athlete, hell yeah I'd use whatever I could get away with.  Otherwise I'd get my ass kicked.  But I don't do CF to compete.  And I intend to continuously build my strength and fitness for as long as I can, not go all out for a shorter period of time, and then inevitably lose all my progress.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#28]
15.2...was much improved over last year.
Overhead squats aren't an issue but I couldn't do any variation of pull ups last year so my score was 10.
This year with the scaled division I pulled a score of 50...still not hot but its an improvement.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Anyone who makes it to the games and many who make it to regionals have been tested for PEDs, probably multiple times.

If they were all on PEDs wouldn't they all look like bodybuilders?

ETA: Are there crossfitters who take PEDs? yes, but I bet all/most of those are people who don't have the natural ability to compete at the highest levels and have instead resorted to PEDs to try to keep up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone who makes it to the games and many who make it to regionals have been tested for PEDs, probably multiple times.

ETA: Are there crossfitters who take PEDs? yes, but I bet all/most of those are people who don't have the natural ability to compete at the highest levels and have instead resorted to PEDs to try to keep up.

In the article it does claim that the testing is very easy to beat, and that only an idiot would get caught.  But of course this is just what this guy is saying, there really is no proof.  

Also, Lance armstrong was tested tons, and he never failed a test, yet he was using all the time.

As far as the bodybuilder look, they would not have to look that way, as crossfit is performance based programming, not aesthetics.

I will still make the argument that most all of the top level guys are using PEDS.  Just my opinion, and no its not based on jealousy that I am nowhere near and never will be like those guys.

I just think it is FAR more common than most people realize, in all sports.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

In the article it does claim that the testing is very easy to beat, and that only an idiot would get caught.  But of course this is just what this guy is saying, there really is no proof.  

Also, Lance armstrong was tested tons, and he never failed a test, yet he was using all the time.

As far as the bodybuilder look, they would not have to look that way, as crossfit is performance based programming, not aesthetics.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bodybuilders use steroids for different reasons and in a different manner than athletes using them to enhance their performance/strength.  And there are different kinds of PEDs, some that will lean you out, some that will bulk you up, and some stronger, some weaker.  Some meant to stack with others.  The testing can be beat because, at the very least, they can get them out of their system before the testing, or start back after the testing.  Or some might not show up on certain tests.  I'm not an expert on it.  But I know people get around it in football and baseball.  So I doubt it's a problem in CF, where they would never screw over a golden goose like Froning, et al.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Agree.  Also the volume these guys do is off the charts, naturally you'd have to be a genetic outlier to recover from the workouts.  Well, I would say that most of these guys are genetically gifted as well, and they use PEDS.

Anyway, OP not trying to derail thread...I just happen to read that last night.  My apologies if it has ticked you off to go off topic.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

anyone who says some of the top athletes aren't on something are in denial.

The authors assertion that CF is rife with injury is pretty retarded.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They train differntly than BBers so they look different.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Plain and simple:

If you make decent money from athletic performance,  you're on steroids, you're lying,  or you are at so much of a disadvantage you won't be the top.  

There were some weak studies that state 20 percent of your average gym rats are our were on juice at one time.   These are hobbyist weighit lifters,  not even competing.  

They're easy to obtain,  easy to test negatIve for.

There are steroids for strength,  endurance, and increasing size.

---

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally natural
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://crossfit609.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Annie.jpg

Totally natural

Didn't say that, said they don't look like body builders because they don't train like bodybuilders. Totally separate from PED use. I was responding specifically to Mark saying "if they were on PEDs wouldn't they look like bodybuilders" my answer was "no, even if they are taking PEDs they will not look like BBers because they don't train like BBers".
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Didn't say that, said they don't look like body builders because they don't train like bodybuilders. Totally separate from PED use. I was responding specifically to Mark saying "if they were on PEDs wouldn't they look like bodybuilders" my answer was "no, even if they are taking PEDs they will not look like BBers because they don't train like BBers".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://crossfit609.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Annie.jpg

Totally natural

I know, you were just the last person in the conversation. Probably should've quoted someone else.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I know, you were just the last person in the conversation. Probably should've quoted someone else.
View Quote

Get your shit together bro
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Well I did 15.2 yesterday & scored a 93 scaled. I just have not learned to kip & it cost me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Re: PED's

Yeah, that ain't even "probably". Looking at anyone who made the Games, the list of "who ain't" is guaranteed to be shorter, way shorter than "who is".
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I suck. 15.2=87, 14.2=130. I quit "crossfitting" last year and starting mostly powerlifting to get strong and put on some weight. I don't think I could have done a 215 C&J last year for sure, especially after a hard workout.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#42]
133 (Rx)

15.1a
185 lbs (Rx)

135 (Rx)

179 (Rx)  need to work on my double unders

30M/153lbs, I'm happy so far.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to go scaled on 15.3
View Quote

If you can even do ONE muscle up, do it RXed.   If you fail, then and only then do the scaled wod.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I did 15.3 scaled this morning & got 533. I'm pretty pissed about not getting through that third set of wall balls, I may try it again Monday.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I did 15.3 scaled this morning & got 533. I'm pretty pissed about not getting through that third set of wall balls, I may try it again Monday.
View Quote

How'd you break up the wall-balls?  

I did scaled as well (close to getting a single bar MU but not quite there) and got 891.  I went with 25/15/10 for round one then mostly 10 for the next few rounds, and somewhere between 5-8 for my final round.  I did my singles pretty much unbroken.   I think by forcing myself to only take 3-4 second breaks when I dropped the wall-ball was just about right for that workout.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The dominant athletes in any sport are that way, in most cases, due to a combination of superior genetics and drugs. A natural Arnold would look better than I would on juice. But Arnold was Arnold because of both factors.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:49:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If you can even do ONE muscle up, do it RXed.   If you fail, then and only then do the scaled wod.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I'm going to go scaled on 15.3

Yep.  Got my 1st 5 muscle ups ever on Saturday morning.  I had tried a couple Friday morning and didn't get there.  Decided, fuck it, I'm going to spend 14 minutes trying.  1st attempt after 3..2..1...go!  Nailed it!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The dominant athletes in any sport are that way, in most cases, due to a combination of superior genetics and drugs. A natural Arnold would look better than I would on juice. But Arnold was Arnold because of both factors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think another factor in this is mental strength/drive/determination. Same applies in the business world...many have the "natural" gift, but not the mental strength/determination/drive to be at the top of the game like the others.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top