Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/13/2015 10:29:44 AM EDT
So like every arfcom neckbeard, I am in pursuit of being god like. I have been hitting the gym hard, eating my food, and loosing the fat and gaining the muscle back I lost. I have been doing Dwyane Johnson's team Hercules workout and dear Lord is it working. Arms, chest, shoulders, and back but no legs. I have some knee issues and I am getting fluid drained once every two weeks and I am currently working on that problem.. I have been on a very clean diet for over 1 month and hitting the gym 6 days per week for 3 weeks now where before it was just once or twice.

Anyway, Pat McNamara did an interview and basically said working individual body parts is days of old and unless you're a body builder, is worse for you in the long run and makes you weaker. I do not want what he describes as "pretty muscles" but I want a strong functional body. I believe that the current workout while is very effective, is not what I think is my ultimate goal. I can already tell that my already poor flexibility is decreasing which is already caused a slight strain in my lower back.

Does anyone have the workouts Pat is talking about?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Check the biggest thread in SD&F. There, ye shall find what knowledge thine heart desires.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I looked up that Herc workout...that's a lot of volume 4-5 sets of 10-12 reps for most everything, and 25 reps on legs!  Very hypertrophy oriented, and not anything I think someone in the Novice-to-Intermediate realm should pursue or at the least someone wanting strength over size. But I'm no Trainer

I didn't look-up Pat...but I have a feeling he's speaking about a lower volume, higher weight, free-weight,  multi-joint compound exercise workout...similar to our favorites here --- Starting Strength and Wendler 5/3/1.  Squats and Deadlifts are the cornerstones of these (they use the most muscles per repetition)...I'm not sure what your knee and back issues may hinder here though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Crossfit

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So like every arfcom neckbeard, I am in pursuit of being god like. I have been hitting the gym hard, eating my food, and loosing the fat and gaining the muscle back I lost. I have been doing Dwyane Johnson's team Hercules workout and dear Lord is it working. Arms, chest, shoulders, and back but no legs. I have some knee issues and I am getting fluid drained once every two weeks and I am currently working on that problem.. I have been on a very clean diet for over 1 month and hitting the gym 6 days per week for 3 weeks now where before it was just once or twice.

Anyway, Pat McNamara did an interview and basically said working individual body parts is days of old and unless you're a body builder, is worse for you in the long run and makes you weaker. I do not want what he describes as "pretty muscles" but I want a strong functional body. I believe that the current workout while is very effective, is not what I think is my ultimate goal. I can already tell that my already poor flexibility is decreasing which is already caused a slight strain in my lower back.

View Quote

Gotta get legs in somehow, hope you recover.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I looked up that Herc workout...that's a lot of volume 4-5 sets of 10-12 reps for most everything, and 25 reps on legs!  Very hypertrophy oriented, and not anything I think someone in the Novice-to-Intermediate realm should pursue or at the least someone wanting strength over size. But I'm no Trainer

I didn't look-up Pat...but I have a feeling he's speaking about a lower volume, higher weight, free-weight,  multi-joint compound exercise workout...similar to our favorites here --- Starting Strength and Wendler 5/3/1.  Squats and Deadlifts are the cornerstones of these (they use the most muscles per repetition)...I'm not sure what your knee and back issues may hinder here though.
View Quote

Starting strength is good.  Wendler 5/3/1 is good.  Don't forget the 10x3.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to do a lot of body weight exercises at home for functional strength.  I'd do a gazillion pushups/pull ups/squats etc. all with just body weight or a weighted vest.  I did Tough Mudder and all the obstacles were a breeze.  Now I'd rather just want get bigger, so I go to a proper gym and lift weights like god intended.  FWIW, I can do a one arm push up now, and I never could before.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I absolutely love the workouts on the Hercules workout and the pumps are down right amazing. I like the higher reps so they don't cause the strain on joints vs the 5/3/1.

I know the legs are going to have to get in somehow just not sure of how to do it when I have to drain it every other week. And there is a golf ball size lump on my knee after a long day at work.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I used to do a lot of body weight exercises at home for functional strength.  I'd do a gazillion pushups/pull ups/squats etc. all with just body weight or a weighted vest.  I did Tough Mudder and all the obstacles were a breeze.  Now I'd rather just want get bigger, so I go to a proper gym and lift weights like god intended.  FWIW, I can do a one arm push up now, and I never could before.
View Quote

I didn't have access to a gym and that Originally how I lost all my weight. Now I want to gain the weight back but in muscles form.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I absolutely love the workouts on the Hercules workout and the pumps are down right amazing. I like the higher reps so they don't cause the strain on joints vs the 5/3/1.

I know the legs are going to have to get in somehow just not sure of how to do it when I have to drain it every other week. And there is a golf ball size lump on my knee after a long day at work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think high volume is less strain that low reps for strength?

Come to the 5/3/1 thread.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Was that the article in Recoil?  I saw one in there where he called someone a neckbeard or something for asking him how much he benches and explained that he likes squats, deadlifts, farmers' carry, OH press, rope climbs, tire pulls with a rope, weighted sit ups (picking up atlas stones), weighted pullups.  And maybe that was it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Was that the article in Recoil?  I saw one in there where he called someone a neckbeard or something for asking him how much he benches and explained that he likes squats, deadlifts, farmers' carry, OH press, rope climbs, tire pulls with a rope, weighted sit ups (picking up atlas stones), weighted pullups.  And maybe that was it.
View Quote

Bravo company I think shared it. It kinked to tactical workouts or something like that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never understood this way of thinking....
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I think that plan looks pretty good except the legs portion is weak. Also I too would not agree the splits are not good for beginners, starting out you aren't strong enough to move decent weight for a routine like that.  I also think it is incorrect that reps affect joint stress, bad form does.  If you want a novice routine that's bodybuilding focused try Allpros on bodybuilding.com or a 5x5 variant.   That said I personally love splits, but you need a good base first.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think that plan looks pretty good except the legs portion is weak. Also I too would not agree the splits are not good for beginners, starting out you aren't strong enough to move decent weight for a routine like that.  I also think it is incorrect that reps affect joint stress, bad form does.  If you want a novice routine that's bodybuilding focused try Allpros on bodybuilding.com or a 5x5 variant.   That said I personally love splits, but you need a good base first.
View Quote

I believe the legs portion was tailored because he has had knee problems and didn't feel comfortable with squats. I read it somewhere but I couldn't find it again.

I liked the legs part because it did tailor to knee injuries. I have 30% cartilage left in each knee and a lateral tear in my right meniscus. I am trying to save what knee joints I do have.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I believe the legs portion was tailored because he has had knee problems and didn't feel comfortable with squats. I read it somewhere but I couldn't find it again.

I liked the legs part because it did tailor to knee injuries. I have 30% cartilage left in each knee and a lateral tear in my right meniscus. I am trying to save what knee joints I do have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I see, that definitely does change things, sorry I missed that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is crazy isn't it.  I have been doing heavy compound lifts for a couple years now, never had any joint pain.  Now that I have added some higher volume stuff in the mix for a little more upper body hypertrophy....I have bouts of joint pain.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It is crazy isn't it.  I have been doing heavy compound lifts for a couple years now, never had any joint pain.  Now that I have added some higher volume stuff in the mix for a little more upper body hypertrophy....I have bouts of joint pain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Little off topic but, talking strictly about weightlifting and the LSUS program which uses a 10's mesocycle.  

Understand many of the guys are coming off of 5-6 or more training days per week low volume but very high intensity, lots of work in the 1-3 rep range 90% or more and rarely going over 5's

Going from that kind of programming to high volume low intensity cycle of 10 reps in the 50-65% range really can be a "break" for the body.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Little off topic but, talking strictly about weightlifting and the LSUS program which uses a 10's mesocycle.  

Understand many of the guys are coming off of 5-6 or more training days per week low volume but very high intensity, lots of work in the 1-3 rep range 90% or more and rarely going over 5's

Going from that kind of programming to high volume low intensity cycle of 10 reps in the 50-65% range really can be a "break" for the body.
View Quote

I agree completely. In fact my personal opinion is that neither way is more harmful than the other...if your nutrition is good and your form is good I don't see either way being "hard on the body". It's a natural damn movement that your body was meant to do.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess this is making sense now. For example, BP I started at 135x12 with no problem. Second set started having trouble with my shoulders around rep 7-9. It went down hill from there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I agree completely. In fact my personal opinion is that neither way is more harmful than the other...if your nutrition is good and your form is good I don't see either way being "hard on the body". It's a natural damn movement that your body was meant to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

High volume is maybe slightly more susceptible to tendinitis in my professional GoogleMD opinion.

To expand on your point...it takes experience and/or a coach/lifting partner to ensure fatigue doesn't compromise form.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My PT doc told me to work legs to strengthen my knee. He wanted me to do the leg press with just one leg (light weight), but after going through a few days with one leg and glute sore, and the other not so much, I said fuck that and used both legs with more weight.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#22]
There are a handful of basic movement patterns: squatting, pulling, pressing, hip hinge. Some distinguish between vertical and horizontal pushing and pulling (e.g. bench press vs press, chin up vs row). Hit each one of those at least weekly with a decent program, throw in any ego lifts you like so long as they don't detract from the meat & potatoes.

EDIT: The gist of it is basically do compound movements. Bill Starr wrote about it in TSSS. He wasn't the first. Currently Rip, Wendler, and the explosion of Crossfit and Powerlifting are popularizing it again. It's a training method that has stuck around forever because it works.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:20:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I like the Scivation Triphase
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, going to try the wendler workout this after. Today is chest day so I'll see how that goes. The gym is usually vacant so I'll have the place to myself.

Going to do bench and see how that goes. I took a rough estimate based on my last workout what my 1rm is and I'm going to be very conservative on the weight until I figure out what it is based on ease of workouts. I'm not 18 anymore and don't have an ego I need to inflate.

I am still going to be doing the complete Hercules arm workout on leg day since legs are no go right now. The pumps in the arms and the looks I got at the gas station getting my rip it's are awesome! The girls want to feel them I can tell by the looks in their eyes!
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I didn't know Wendler had a chest day.
View Quote

If you program assistance work, every day can be chest day.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I didn't know Wendler had a chest day.
View Quote

I meant to say today was chest day so I'm going to be doing bench.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Too true.

I should probably program in some chest work for a few weeks.
View Quote

I think I would feel like I didn't accomplish very much if I only went in and did three sets on bench, abs, and then left. So I am doing extra work like dB fly, incline dB press, ect...
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think I would feel like I didn't accomplish very much if I only went in and did three sets on bench, abs, and then left. So I am doing extra work like dB fly, incline dB press, ect...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too true.

I should probably program in some chest work for a few weeks.

I like dips.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Well I'm on week three of wendler and strength is up but I've run into a problem. I get to around 205 on bench and my left shoulder just pops out of place. I can easily bench this but my shoulder doesn't allow for any more. Same thing for shoulder press. Anything over 80lbs and it dislocates.

All this causes extreme pain to the point of taking a 10lb db over the head causes pain.

I hurt it's at work and I think I might have really fucked it up good......
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#34]
You're not locking up/stabilizing your press or bench press.

--
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You're not locking up/stabilizing your press or bench press.

--
View Quote

Can you explain that?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Tuck your elbows,  pull your shoulder blades together. When you bring the bar down to your chest, it should be well below your nips.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Tuck your elbows,  pull your shoulder blades together. When you bring the bar down to your chest, it should be well below your nips.
View Quote

Got it. Well that's when it hurts the worse. Taking the bar off the rack is when it dislocates.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Are you engaging your lats?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#41]
My spine is off the bench and resting on my lats.

Even if I'm laying flat, my shoulder should not be dislocating with 200lbs.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Is it truly dislocating, ie, needs medical attention? or does it just feel loose?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it truly dislocating, ie, needs medical attention? or does it just feel loose?

It's definitely not staying in the socket. Its not popping out bad enough to have to have it put back into place but it's enough to cause enough pain that I can't press anything over my head.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is a difference between resting on them and engaging them to stabilize your arms and shoulders during the lift.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Pumba - start getting in on this action three to four times a week. Daily band pull aparts are not a terrible idea if you can get into them with consistency-

http://youtu.be/BVehf-8FAxQ
View Quote

I did a metric shit ton of band workouts in high school and the minor leagues. Main concentration was throwing arm rotator cuff which ironically is having no problems right now.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Should tell you something, no?
View Quote

You'd think!

I was at work prying up a portable building when what I was using to pry with broke. I had my full weight on it when it broke. There was an audible pop and it felt like someone set my shoulder on fire and the nerves all the way to my finger tips felt like lightning was running through them.

I guess I'll have to slowly rehab it back before any major gains will be seen.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That sucks about your knees. What did your doctor say you could do? A girl I fence with tore her meniscus and they had her doing weight lifting almost right after surgery for PT. Maybe there's some leg exercise you can do.  I had a minor knee strain about a month ago and it was a wake up call. Every sport I do was affected bad.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top