Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2015 6:45:38 PM EDT
TLDR:
I gained weight and got sick a lot. I'm trying to improve my health. Joined a Weight Loss challenge, deadline is Apr 17th. Wedding is May 22nd. Trying to go from 267 lbs to 237 lbs in 3 months.

Long version:
Last year I ran a lot, about 200 miles which for me is quite a bit. I ran a 10k race in early May and did really well, finishing 39th out of about 470 people. At that time I was 239 lbs.Had a family reunion at the end of June, I was still in shape and about 242 lbs. Then I got hooked on some video games, and stopped working out. Ate crappy food. By November I had gained considerable weight, my energy was down, and I was getting sick a lot (colds and sinus infections).
I went into the Dr. office for my sinus infection, they weighed me at 263 lbs.  A month later I was up to 267 lbs! This is the highest I had been in 5 years. I didn't have energy, I was sick all the time, I felt like crap and didn't look great either.

Finally I woke up and started to turn things around. I went to the Dr. thinking I had some sort of medical problem causing me to gain weight. Full blood panel, physical, the works. Their conclusion- nothing much wrong for you except you are too fat. Oh, your vitamin D is low. Wow, your resting heart rate is really low.

Since then, I am going to the gym 4-5 days a week, lifting heavy weights, and cutting carbs. I am "on" 2 things, one is "Emergen-C" which has vitamin C and some other junk and is water soluable. The other is presciption strength (100,000 units/week) vitamin D2.

At first the workouts were painful, getting used to lifting again, I was weak and sore.

But not now.  I don't know if it's the Vitamin D or what, but I am making a comeback. My energy levels are up. I am actually not as hungry anymore, now that I am cutting carbs. And I have been doing well again in the gym.  In the last week I have set new PRs for Deadlifts, Dumbell Press, and tied my PR for Bench press, increasing 20% in the last 2 weeks.

The GOAL:
I need to drop 22 lbs by April 17th, but more is better. I need to drop 30+ lbs by May 22nd.  I joined a "weight loss wars" through work and I am tracking my weight on that. There is no prize. My supervisor/friend is getting married on May 22nd, and I want to look good as a groomsman, in all the pics and standing in front of everyone. In addition to losing weight, I would like to improve my strength and tune up my cardio a little bit.

Being fat is embarrasing. Being unhealthy and sick is shitty. It's time to go to work.
1/24: 267.1
2/3: 263.0
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Good for you! Working out is obviously very good for you and your long term health and fitness, but I found a proper diet was 90% of what it took for me to lose weight. Working out and a proper diet are obviously best together, but I've found (again, this is for me) that diet was the main factor in weight loss, so just don't neglect it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#2]
What are your PR's?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are your PR's?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What are your PR's?

I'm not really what I'd consider strong, but since you asked.
Bench Press - 265  (I may have done 275 a couple years ago)
Deadlift - 460 lbs
Dumbell Bench Press - 105 x 3

All lifts are RAW.

So I had a physical yesterday, and I got a full work-up, plus we went over my bloodwork.  My total cholesterol is 135.  For someone who is 40 lbs overweight, and eats 20 eggs a week, that's pretty good. My dad is 61 and he has good cholesterol. I guess they said anything under 200 is OK.

2/5/2015:  260.6 lbs  (-6.5)

Quoted:
a proper diet was 90% of what it took for me to lose weight. Working out and a proper diet are obviously best together, but I've found (again, this is for me) that diet was the main factor in weight loss, so just don't neglect it.

Yeah, do I know this. In 2009 I was working out 10x a week and barely losing weight. It was only when I changed my diet that I noticed significant gains. I am pretty much eating South Beath Diet phase 1. No bread, no fruit, no sugar, no potatoes, basically low carb with lots of protein and veggies. My wife also has a Master's Degree in nutrition, so I sometimes bounce certain things off her.

Typically, here is what I am eating. Breakfast- 3 eggs with a sprinkling of cheese, and 1/4 cup of portabella mushrooms, 1/2 tsp olive oil
Lunch- large salad with mushrooms, cucumbers, bell peppers, spinach, carrots, some cheese, 4 oz lean meat, ~1/4 cup dressing
Snack- roasted almonds or cottage cheese
Post workout- 25g of protein (shake)  about 4x a week.
Dinner- 6 oz lean meat, lots of cooked veggies like zucchini, broccoli, squash, carrots, onions, and peppers.
Dessert- 1/2 cup of cottage cheese
I probably eat a little more cheese than I should, but swearing off all bread, fruit, and grains is a little rough, and that is my consulation. Also, I am not counting calories at this point, but I may do so closer to the weight loss deadline.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Keep at it OP.  I was fat and sick back at the start of 2011.  I have had ups and downs, but I keep plugging away.  At my worse I was 5'9" 225# and got winded and sweaty walking up a flight of stairs and standing at a convention all day about killed me.  I have been down to 185# and up to 210#, but more active and have not felt as bad as I did back in 2011.

I have found that lifting weights helps me a lot.  My posture is better, I have more energy, and I am more confidant.  I am doing Starting Strength from scratch right now after dicking around with StrongLifts awhile back.  I love running and the fun of a 5K, but I may end up just doing Starting Strength for awhile.

There are times that I don't know that it is worth getting on the scale.  I feel better and look better, but the scale is staying pretty steady.  I am coming to believe that a better bench mark than the number on the scale is taking pictures on a week to week basis to see how I look.

Do whatever you need to do to keep motivated though.  Scale, pictures, belt size, whatever it takes.  I set defined goals for Starting Strength and am posting my workouts in the training log forum over there.  When I get home from the gym I get on there and post up what I did and what I learned.  I am figuring out it is pretty helpful to go back and look at my notes and other logs to see how I can improve.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, do I know this. In 2009 I was working out 10x a week and barely losing weight. It was only when I changed my diet that I noticed significant gains. I am pretty much eating South Beath Diet phase 1. No bread, no fruit, no sugar, no potatoes, basically low carb with lots of protein and veggies. My wife also has a Master's Degree in nutrition, so I sometimes bounce certain things off her.

Typically, here is what I am eating. Breakfast- 3 eggs with a sprinkling of cheese, and 1/4 cup of portabella mushrooms, 1/2 tsp olive oil
Lunch- large salad with mushrooms, cucumbers, bell peppers, spinach, carrots, some cheese, 4 oz lean meat, ~1/4 cup dressing
Dinner- 6 oz lean meat, lots of cooked veggies like zucchini, broccoli, squash, carrots, onions, and peppers.
I probably eat a little more cheese than I should, but swearing off all bread, fruit, and grains is a little rough, and that is my consulation. Also, I am not counting calories at this point, but I may do so closer to the weight loss deadline.
View Quote

Well shit, you're way more vigilant than I was. I didn't eliminate anything, but severely cut back on some things and still managed to go from 265 to 216 in 6-7 months. Counting calories for me was more about actually knowing what was in the food and how it related to portion size. I never knew, and it was eye opening. I'm concentrating on eliminating processed sugar from my diet. You're way ahead of the curve, so keep it up! The first month was the absolute worst when I did it, and it got easier as time went on.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]
hey man! can I tag along on the challenge?

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Deadlift - 460 lbs

All lifts are RAW.

So I had a physical yesterday, and I got a full work-up, plus we went over my bloodwork.  My total cholesterol is 135.  For someone who is 40 lbs overweight, and eats 20 eggs a week, that's pretty good. My dad is 61 and he has good cholesterol. I guess they said anything under 200 is OK.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are your PR's?

Deadlift - 460 lbs

All lifts are RAW.

Quoted:
a proper diet was 90% of what it took for me to lose weight. Working out and a proper diet are obviously best together, but I've found (again, this is for me) that diet was the main factor in weight loss, so just don't neglect it.

You're bench is better than mine and our DL is tied  

Keep it up!
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Thursday I got 465 DL up about 90% of the way, couldn't finish. Then I knocked out 2 sets of 8 reps 315, and then my lower back started killing me.
I think someone else said it, and they were right. Next week I am only going to do 75-80% and focus on good solid reps. Slow and steady. That's 370 lbs.
----
Felt very sluggish at the gym today. Easily knocked out 105 on the DB bench press x2.  Failed 3x trying to get 110 going.

It may be because of my TDAP, I got a TDAP on Wednesday and I have felt a little off since then. I am going to take tomorrow off from exercise, I have been to the gym 5 times in the last 6 days.
Weigh-in tomorrow morning, hoping to get under 260 for the first time in several months.
I am trying to keep it going through the weekend. Weekdays seem much easier for the diet.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:36:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thursday I got 465 DL up about 90% of the way, couldn't finish. Then I knocked out 2 sets of 8 reps 315, and then my lower back started killing me.
I think someone else said it, and they were right. Next week I am only going to do 75-80% and focus on good solid reps. Slow and steady. That's 370 lbs.
----
Felt very sluggish at the gym today. Easily knocked out 105 on the DB bench press x2.  Failed 3x trying to get 110 going.

It may be because of my TDAP, I got a TDAP on Wednesday and I have felt a little off since then. I am going to take tomorrow off from exercise, I have been to the gym 5 times in the last 6 days.
Weigh-in tomorrow morning, hoping to get under 260 for the first time in several months.
I am trying to keep it going through the weekend. Weekdays seem much easier for the diet.
View Quote

Best bet is to treat the week after vaccination as a rest or light week.  Even the flu vaccine can cause you trouble (make you sick) if you overdo it either right before or in the days after receiving it.  And worse, your body may not get the desired immunity from the vaccine.  I am surprised that your doctor did not tell you to take it easy.   Also, it appears you may be overtraining.    In your case I suggest taking at least two rest days, then ramping back up slowly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#10]
They did but I didn't take them seriously I guess. Another gym day today, just some moderate cardio and maybe some leg presses for fun.

On my off day yesterday I worked on some woodworking projects and went on a slow 2-mile hike with a 3-year old.
2/8:  258.8  (-8.3)

Doing some research, I should be able to get under 230 lbs, in theory. In practice I haven't gotten below 236 lbs in about 10 years. But I don't want to get ahead of myself. Short term goals and long term goals. My next goal is to break under 250 lbs. That is the next little milestone on the pathway to success. I was pretty good this weekend sticking to my diet. Here's hoping it pays some dividends in my weigh-ins this week.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#11]
You have a goal set, and it's 3 months away. If I were you, I'd bust my ass 100% to meet it. May 22 is like 13 weeks away, and you shouldn't really lose more than 2lb of fat per week if you want to avoid things like muscle loss and loose skin.

Counting calories is very easy to do. I spend less than 3 minutes a day adding my stuff in to MFP.

Low carb is the way to go. It's how we were designed to eat via evolution. The wheat on the market today is bad for you. Not only do fast starches metabolize immediately into glucose (sugar) which spikes your blood sugar and prompts the fat storing hormone insulin to be secreted, it causes inflammation in the GI tract and other body tissues. Familiarize yourself with the glycemic indexes of foods, and avoid ones with high glycemic indexes. Essentially, eat paleo. I'd shoot for 5-10% of your daily calories from carbs, 55% from fat, and 30-35% from protein.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#12]
2/11:  257.6  (-9.5)

I did upper body stuff yesterday, I didn't feel particularly strong or energetic so I didn't try to max out my bench press. I also did some leg presses in anticipation of deadlift Thursday. Today I will probably do some flies, lunges, and cardio.

I am starting to get a little sick of my diet (eating the same things over and over) and my wife isn't being very supportive. Gotta stick with this for about 2 more months...
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#13]
2/16: 256.1  (-11.0)

Didn't eat real well this weekend and as a result didn't lose any weight between Friday and Monday mornings. But that is OK, back to the diet M-F!

Perhaps as a result of the extra carbs, I was a beast in the gym yesterday, having one of my better days ever. I also took some Aminolast pre--workout because I was feeling a little dehydrated.

I slowly started working my way up in weight for Dumbell BP, 80, 90, 95, 100, 105- and set a PR doing 110 x2 dumbell bench press. Unassisted. I might have been able to do a 3rd if I would have had a spotter, but probably not.

Starting to wonder if I should be lifting heavy and trying to dump body fat at the same time. I think the answer to this question is YES.

I also ordered some GNC Mega Men "Sport" multivitimins, to take the place of Emergen-C for a more comprehensive combination of nutrients.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
2/16: 256.1  (-11.0)

Didn't eat real well this weekend and as a result didn't lose any weight between Friday and Monday mornings. But that is OK, back to the diet M-F!

Perhaps as a result of the extra carbs, I was a beast in the gym yesterday, having one of my better days ever. I also took some Aminolast pre--workout because I was feeling a little dehydrated.

I slowly started working my way up in weight for Dumbell BP, 80, 90, 95, 100, 105- and set a PR doing 110 x2 dumbell bench press. Unassisted. I might have been able to do a 3rd if I would have had a spotter, but probably not.

Starting to wonder if I should be lifting heavy and trying to dump body fat at the same time. I think the answer to this question is YES.

I also ordered some GNC Mega Men "Sport" multivitimins, to take the place of Emergen-C for a more comprehensive combination of nutrients.
View Quote

I have found that lifting heavy leans me out better than doing more cardio.

Also, I'll just relay to you that at the recent nutrition seminar I went to we were told not to bother with multi-vitamins and to stick with the separate basics: Vit C, Vit D, magnesium, omega 3/fish oil (4k per day), MCT oil and for performance, creatine and beta-alanine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting. I always wondered why they still sold "seperates" when the multis already have everything. Seems like a hassle to take a bunch of different pills.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Interesting. I always wondered why they still sold "seperates" when the multis already have everything. Seems like a hassle to take a bunch of different pills.
View Quote

Sure it's a hassle.  But so is eating.

I'm no expert.  But, just looking at the GNC mega men, per 2 capsules, at some of the main stuff you need, you've got 1,600 iu of Vitamin D.  You should have probably 10,000 in the winter time, so you're probably not getting any good out of that.  Only 300 mg of Vit C.  It probably takes at least 1,000 mg per day, if not 2,000 to have any positive effect whatsoever.  Biotin, 200 mcg.  Taking one pill separately from GNC is 5,000 mcg.  So, 200 really is not even a drop in the bucket.  Magnesium, only 100 mcg.  Taking one GNC magnesium pill separately would be 500 mcg.  And I usually take two of those before bed.  So, you're not getting much of that.

And that doesn't include anything for sports performance either.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I am using prescription strength D, it's 100,000 units of D2 /week.  
Thanks for making a more detailed explanation. I think I should have gone with seperates.
------------
ETA: I went to the grocery store and picked up the best quality 1,000 MG vitamin C tablets and 5,000 mcg of Biotin (they had 10,000 but I didn't get it).
So I should be able to suppliment the Mega Mens Sport with C, D, and Biotin.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Well that sucks. I just weighed myself today.
2/18: 257.2 (-9.9)

Supposedly I gained a lb in the last 2 days. It sucks because I've been eating healthy and I have been working out.

In fact, I feel tired and worn out. I went to the gym Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday (yesterday) I had almost no energy to do anything.  I have went to bed early the last 2 days and gotten 7 hours of sleep (which is slightly more than normal).

This really hurts my motivation. Hopefully I can end the week down from last week, otherwise it will make it harder.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Supposedly I gained a lb in the last 2 days. It sucks because I've been eating healthy and I have been working out.

In fact, I feel tired and worn out. I went to the gym Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday (yesterday) I had almost no energy to do anything.  I have went to bed early the last 2 days and gotten 7 hours of sleep (which is slightly more than normal).

This really hurts my motivation. Hopefully I can end the week down from last week, otherwise it will make it harder.
View Quote

You're probably starting to gain just a tad bit of muscle.  Or it could be you just haven't pooped in a while haha.  Keep it up!
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't weigh yourself.  Everything you need to know you can tell from looking in the mirror and how your clothes fit.  My weight can fluctuate with water weight 5 pounds, more or less at any given time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's your net calories per day? If you are eating too few you are going to feel like shit. What's your macro goals?

When I first started my diet I felt like shit too. And had strength lose. It has leveled off and I feel like I am getting stronger again butt really slow.

I wouldn't worry about 1 lb at all. I ate like shit for Mardi Gras and gained 7 lbs that night and am still down 2 lbs for the week.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't weigh yourself.  Everything you need to know you can tell from looking in the mirror and how your clothes fit.  My weight can fluctuate with water weight 5 pounds, more or less at any given time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My perspective:

I weigh myself daily and log in spreadsheet, have for the past 4 years.  But the only thing I really pay any attention to is the weekly average, the daily fluctuations don't matter.  Combined with the daily mirror checks and testing body fat/measuring body parts/taking pictures once a month you will be able to track progress pretty well.

As to "gaining" a pound over the past two days, no.  The sample size is too limited.  Go ahead and keep weighing daily, but don't worry about anything less than a weekly or larger average.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I weighed myself this morning and I was back to what I was before. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with water weight because I woke up several times to pee last night.
2/19: 256.2 (-10.9)  

So it may be that this week (last 7 days) I will have lost (0.0) lbs. However my strength and cardio are continuing to improve, I'm taking the vitamins and drinking lots of water. So overall I guess I should try not to be too disappointed. My goal is not just to lose weight but to be healthier, feel better, and not get sick as much. I think I am working toward those goals pretty well.

I am not trying for any maxes this week so I have no idea if I am getting stronger. Today is deadlift day and for some reason I look forward to putting myself through that. :)
Oh yeah, and I need to find a deadlift program to try.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#24]
You mentioned before that your back hurt after deadlifts. If that is the case most likely there is a form issue. Be careful. Your back shouldn't hurt after deadlifts even if going heavy.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I am 375lb right now.
I dropped down to 370 then shot right back to 375lb.

I am pretty sure that it is muscle.

My belly is slimmer and my butt is getting that firm muscular look to it. The wife likes it.

I am maintaining that 375 for the moment. I think taking off a few days will help as well.

Needed to give myself some recovery time.

Im 6'10'' so the fat isnt the issue.

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am 375lb right now. I dropped down to 370 then shot right back to 375lb.

My belly is slimmer and my butt is getting that firm muscular look to it. The wife likes it.

I am maintaining that 375 for the moment. I think taking off a few days will help as well.

View Quote

Holy cow.  Tell me you are training for strongman.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BINGO!!

Well something like that.

I havent lifted in 2.5 years. I took that time off to start my family.

Now that we have child number 2 on the way I started back again January.

Wife bought me a gym membership. She said I want you to be happy, you have given me a beautiful family now go do what you love.

Not me BTW.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
BINGO!!  

Wife bought me a gym membership. She said I want you to be happy, you have given me a beautiful family now go do what you love.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnilPlv0aP_dYQPnSFYXWuKoStDQFuWkwIdUY2EgGBYeEIgxxlcw

Not me BTW.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BINGO!!  

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnilPlv0aP_dYQPnSFYXWuKoStDQFuWkwIdUY2EgGBYeEIgxxlcw

Not me BTW.

Caber throw is really fun.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BINGO!!  

Not me BTW.

Have you done all 9 events?

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Nope just thrown a caber. I would love to give the rest a try.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Nope just thrown a caber. I would love to give the rest a try.
View Quote
Send me a PM and I can tell you of the closet place to try.

Sorry djkest to hijack.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Well, my son Ethan was born on 2/19 at 9:45 PM!

Unfortunately we spent 10 days in the hospital as my wife got a secondary infection from the C-section.
I got off my diet and took a week off of working out, also stopped taking vitamins because I was mostly in the hospital.

Fortunately I don't think it really killed me. On Thursday I went to the gym and hit up bench press.
Friday I set a new Deadlift PR.
I did 475 x 1.  I tried a couple times for 485 but I couldn't finish. I got it 12-16" off the floor.
Yesterday I did 110 lbs on the dumbell press but I was feeling a little weak so I only repp'd 100 lbs.
3/2: 255.2 lbs (-11.9)

Time to get back on the diet, back in the gym, and back on the vitamins.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Cool.
3/13: 254.2 lbs

Bench press is slowly improving.
I did 6 sets of 5 reps @ 205, plus 3 extra on the last set.

Wife is still in the hospital, so things aren't quite back to normal yet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#34]
3/27:  253.6 lbs
wife is out of the hospital and things are starting to get back to normal. Newborn is 5 weeks old.

Weight loss is slow obviously, but I am getting in better shape steadily.

Tried squats for the first time ever did 275 and lost my balance almost fell over. Ran for the first time this year outside yesterday, 3.5 miles. That was brutal, for a number of reasons. It'll get better.
So that makes my BP/DL/Squat total to be 1015 lbs, I realize that's not that great esp. for someone who weighs 250 lbs, but it's something.

I am working on a plan where I can hit the gym 4 times a week and get a pretty good range of stuff done. I think Flat Bench, DB Bench Press, Squats, and Deadlifts will be my 4 "main" exercises (each of them will be the featured event per day), with supporting stuff obviously. Lots of rows and pullups and overhead stuff.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Last weigh-in was
4/10: 251.5  (-15.6)

Tomorrow is my final weigh-in for "Weight Loss Wars" at work. I am trying to eat really good today and drink lots of water. I will weigh myself at home for my personal weight, and then again at work for the competition. Out of 112 teams, our team is currently in 7th place.

Starting doing more bodyweight squats but it seems to shred my quads and my knee, maybe I need to do heavier slower squats instead. While cutting carbs, my weightlifting doesn't seem to be progressing real fast, but it's OK.

Clothes seem to be fitting a little looser. And strangely, I am on the last hole in almost all of my belts. This is the same hole I was using at 238 lbs.  So I don't know if my diet is causing a reduction in bloating/inflammation of my gut, or what the deal is. I am still heavier and fatter than I was before, so I don't know how this could possibly work.

I am not losing weight as fast as I would like, but I feel good and I am pretty much as strong as I've ever been.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#36]
4/17:  248.4 lbs  (-18.8)

I think I was a little dehydrated this morning, but I'll take it.

I had my official weigh-in for weight loss wars this morning, and on their scale I was down 22 lbs)

The fight continues.

I am thinking about posting some pics to make the thread a little more interesting.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Hit the gym pretty hard this weekend.
Saturday was dumbell bench press and I did 4 sets of 8 reps at 85 lbs (I wanted to do 80 lbs but they don't have a complete set of 80s right now as some jackhole broke one).
Sunday I did deadlifts, and I SQUANDERED my opportunity for a new PR.

I worked my way up to 475 without too much difficulty, which tied my previous PR.
I got greedy and went for 495. Failed at 70%
Tried again and failed.
Dropped down to 485 and failed at 70%. I guess I need to keep working on my support exercises and also try not to be retarded. I finished up by doing 10 single reps at 405.
Guy who was watching me said I am using a lot of back in my deadlifts, and that I am nearly doing stiff-legged deadlifts currently. It kind of makes sense. My lower back is pretty sore today- I should have had him take a video.
I need to cram in some squats this week because Friday I am having surgery and they said no heavy lifts or crazy exercise for 1 week. OK, but I can't stay out of the gym, maybe I'll do bicep curls or something, lol.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Good luck with whatever your surgery is, DJ.  Take it easy if you can, afterwards...
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Vasectomy. Not a big deal.  I should be able to lift heavy 1 week later. But no bike riding the next week, lol.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Here's hoping you don't experience a granuloma....it'll feel like you got smacked by an MLB hitter's bat!  Or so DH tells me...
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Hard to believe that just 4 months ago I was fat and sick constantly, and 19 lbs heavier.
Here's my progress pics cross posted from the other thread.
The first pics were taken in June I think 2009, the 2nd ones were taken last night.

You can see I still have a lot of work to do. I was kind of surprised how my back looks. I don't normally see my back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top